Do you know of any famous people who are disabled? What do they do?
那就是理想。而 霍金无疑为这句话做了最完美的诠释。 他以瘦弱之躯挑战生理极限的勇气以及霍金 式的顽皮笑容都向世人证明了：他赢了！
Ludwig Von Beethoven
路德维希· 贝多芬（1770-1827） 范·
? 11岁的李月，来自北 川，她是一个酷爱芭 蕾的女孩，她在汶川 大地震中失去了左腿， 她不想让舞蹈的梦想 屈从于残酷的命运， 她得到了人们的帮助， 她终于在全世界面前， 重新起舞…… ? 《永不停止的舞步》 是中国残疾人艺术团 所有聋人来表演的。
? 10岁时因为意外触电而 失去了双臂 ，19岁时， 他开始学习用双脚弹钢 琴 ；那段时间，刘伟每 天练琴7小时，一年内就 达到了钢琴7级的水平。 2006年，他加入了北京 市残疾人艺术团，并开始 了音乐创作。 ? “我的人生只有两条路， 要么赶紧死，要么精彩地 活着。” “如果没有生命， 就什么都没有了。”
? 邰丽华， 29岁 (2005)，中国残疾人 艺术团舞蹈演员，中 国特殊艺术协会副主 席。2005年春节晚 会上带领 21位聋哑 演员表演舞蹈《千手 观音》。
? “他们的舞蹈完美的让人 忘记了身体的残缺。”舞 台上翟孝伟永远扮演着马 丽的右臂，而马丽则是他 的左腿。
With a partner, discuss what their disability might be.
There is a website called “Family Village” on the internet. Let’s see what can we see in it.
1. Match the main idea to each paragraph.
Para 3: ? The problems he has to deal with. Para 4: ? How his life has become easier. Para 1: ? An introduction to Marty and his muscle disease. Para 2: ? How his disability developed. Para 5: ? The advantages of his disease.
____ muscle _________ that makes A ______ disease him very weak. _________and can’t ____ or ______ Clumsy run climb stairs as quickly as other people. To live one day ___ _____ ______. at a time
What does “live one day at a time” mean? Live a rich and full life every day.
1. Why did the doctors cut out a piece of muscle from Marty’s leg? A. Because they could cure the disease by cutting it out. B. Because they wanted to use it as a specimen(标 本). C. Because they would transplant( 移 植 ) the new muscle. D. Because they wanted to find out the cause of the disease.
2. What’s Marty’s dream? A. Being a famous football player and representing his country in the World Cup. B. Being a doctor. C. Being a college student. D. Being a basketball player.
Words & expressions
9. in many ways 在很多方面 10. psychologically 心理上 11. live a normal life 过正常的生活 12. feel sorry for sb. 对某人感到羞愧/抱歉 13. make fun of 取笑 14. encouragement 鼓励 15. live a rich and full life 过着丰富多彩而充实美满 的生活
1. make my annoyed 使我生气 2. all in all 总而言之 3. computer programming 电脑编程 4. computer software 电脑软件 5. sit around 闲坐着 6. as well as 除了……之外 7. parrot 鹦鹉 8. a tank full of fish and tortoise 一缸金鱼和乌龟
Para 4 What are the Marty’s ambition, achievement and hobby? To work for a firm that develops 1. ambition computer software when he grows up. 2. achievement invented a computer football game and a big company has decided to buy it from him 3. hobby Going to the movies and football matches and keeping pets .
Marty’s advice :
1. Don’t feel sorry for them.
2. Don’t make fun of them.
3. Don’t ignore them. 4. Accept them for who they are.
5. Encourage them to live as rich and full a life as you do.
2.Choose the right answer.
1) What is the passage mainly about? A. How Marty lives a rich and full life even though he is disable. B. How Marty achieves a lot. C. How people ignore the disabled. D. How John’s disability helps him grow stronger.
2). Marty has ____ disease. A. a mental B. a muscle C. a brain D. a hand 3). When Marty says “I am one in a million”, he really means _____. A. he is unique B. he has a rare disease C. he has a muscle disease D. he lives a hard but happy life
4). Which of the following is true according to this passage? A. Marty is special because of his appearance. B. His fellow students often make him angry. C. Marty is optimistic and positive toward life. D.He spent 2 years on the invention of a computer football game.
5).He developed his muscle disease_____. A. when he was a little boy B. when he was ten years old C. when he was swimming D. when he was playing
6). Who is the story written for? A. Disabled readers. B. General readers. C. Ordinary readers. D. Healthy children.
Reading Comprehension V Fill in the table.
Problems caused by his disability
What Marty does in spite of his disability 1 weak and can’t run 1 enjoys writing or climb stairs as and computer quickly as others programming 2 2 3 3 4 4 5
点击 链接 点击 链接
Problems caused by his disability
1. weak and can’t run or climb stairs as quickly as others 2. clumsy and often drop things or bump into furniture 3. can’t play football and can only enjoy football matches from a bench at a stadium 4. has missed a lot of school 5. feels stupid because of being behind the others
return to the table
What Marty does in spite of his disability
1. enjoys writing and computer programming
2. invented a computer football game
3. looks after pets 4. disability has helped him grow stronger psychologically and become more independent
return to the table turn to the next part
Discuss these questions in groups.
1 What kind of person do you think Marty is? 2 What do you think is the most difficult thing that Marty has to deal with in his life? 3 What kind of thing does Marty do in order to make his life happy and satisfying? 4 What can other people do to help Marty and others like him live a good life? 5 Why has his fellow students’ conduct changed towards Marty?
1 What kind of person do you think Marty is? Marty seems to be a fairly positive person who considers he has a good life. He is realistic about his disability, but does not let this stop him doing as much as he can. He is a psychologically strong, independent boy.
2 What do you think is the most difficult thing that Marty has to deal with in his life? Missing lots of school, not being able to run around and play sports like other boys at his age, people not understanding that he has a disability.
3 What kind of thing does Marty do in order to make his life happy and satisfying? Marty keeps busy doing things that do not require physical strength, like computer programming. He has friends with whom he can go to movies and football matches and he has lots of pets. He also studies hard.
4 What can other people do to help Marty and others like him live a good life? They can accept people with disabilities like Marty for who they are rather than focus on their disability. They can encourage them to live rich and full lives.
5 Why has his fellow students’ conduct changed towards Marty? Because they found that Marty was able to live as rich and full a life as everyone else. It is not frightening if you are disabled in body, but it is so if you are not healthy in mind.
Retell Marty’s story with about 30
words or translate the following passage