Music Hall Vienna
Describe the picture.
1. Have you heard any street music?
2. What kind of music was it?
3. How did the musician play
4. What kind of people usually play
Street music in China.
In China, many people, young or old, men or women, love street music.
In the London Underground a student plays classical guitar music, which echoes along the tunnels.
Our happy voices echo in the hall.
In a street in Vienna or Prague or Milan a group of pipe musicians from the far Andes fill the air with the sounds of South America.
? crowds stand in a semi-circle.
? A quartet of street musicians play a violin suite of classical music.
? Pedestrians and a passerby making contributions to the street musician.
? A street music man turns the handle of a barrel organ.
Answer the questions about the words
in the box.
handkerchief handle interval lid plug
popcorn relief slide socket tap voluntary
1. Do you have a handkerchief in your pocket?
2. Can you point to a handle in your classroom? 3. How long does the interval between two classes last? 4. When you cook rice, do you put a lid on the pot? 5. Can you point to a plug and a socket in the classroom?
6. Do you like popcorn? When do people often eat it?
7. When a payment is voluntary, must you pay?
No, you can choose to pay it or not.
8. When you hear music with a good beat, what do you sometimes tap?
fingers or feet
9. When someone or something slides away, does it move easily or with difficulty?
It moves easily.
10. If you have a feeling of relief, do you feel relaxed and happy, or tense and sad?
relaxed and happy
Activity 1 Let’s learn the words in the box and describe the photo on P48, using the words in the box.
crowd guitar musician passerby plug pedestrian interval socket pipe semi-circle quartet suite violin session saucer voluntary shrink vacant lid barrel organ tap mop spotted popcorn rockabilly tunnel relay liveliness relief
Scanning the names of cities
Barcelona ? Paragraph 1： street music in _________ Paris ? Paragraph 2： street music in _________ New York ? Paragraph 3： street music in ________ ， Tokyo London _________, __________ ， __________, Vienna Prague and _________. Milan __________
The main idea of each paragraph
A: The street music in Paris. B: The street music around the world. C: The street music in Barcelona. D: The importance of the street music.
2 Read the passage and choose the
sentence which best expresses the main idea.
1. But others happily throw in a few
coins, grateful for this brief interval
of music as they go about their
2. Down there on the pavement, few
3. In Harlem, New York, some locals
place a sound system by an open
window, plug it into the electrical
socket, and all of a sudden, there’s
dancing in the streets.
4. The street musician is keeping
alive a culture which has almost
disappeared in our busy,
organized and regulated lives: the
sound of music when you least
Into the text
3. Read the text carefully and answer the following questions. 1. How many cities does the writer mention? What are they? Eight. They are Barcelona, Paris, New York, Tokyo, London, Vienna, Prague, and Milan. 2. In the second paragraph, what’s the meaning of the word “vacant”? Empty or not being used.
Careful reading for detail information.
In the old district of Barcelona
A quartet of musicians play a violin suite of classical music.
They are grateful for this brief interval of music as they go shopping.
In Harlem, New York
A music man plays his barrel organ and sings songs.
Play a sound system and there’s dancing in the street.
Young couples eat popcorn and dance to music.
In downtown Tokyo In the London underground
A student plays classical guitar music.
Some pipe musicians fill the air with the sounds of South American music.
It lifts the spirits of the passengers.
In a street in Vienna or Prague or Milan
Meanings of the street music:
alive a culture which has almost It keeps_______________________________
disappeared in our life. life to everyone who listens. It gives______________________________
relief from the cares of the day. It offers______________________________
Scanning the supporting sentences for the
following statements. 1. It is not very easy for the writer to go through the crowd in front of the cathedral. I push my way through the crowd and find a quartet of musicians playing a violin suite of classical music.
我挤进人群, 发现一支四人乐队 正在演奏古典音乐小提琴组曲。
2. Not every person in Barcelona is willing to give money to a street musician. All contributions are voluntary, no one has to pay, but the crowd shrinks as some people slide away. But others happily throw in a few coins.
所有捐助都是自愿的, 没有人非掏钱不可。 但是, 随着一些人悄悄走开, 人群一下缩小了。
3. There used to be a musician below the window of my apartment in Paris, but he left for certain reasons.
A musician man takes a place made vacant by an earlier musician.
4. Young couples in downtown Tokyo are very interested in the music played by a rockabilly band.
Young couples eat popcorn, and dance to the music of a rockabilly band.
5. Street music in the London Underground is helpful to the passersby in some way. In the London Underground a student plays classical guitar music, which echoes along the tunnels. It lifts the spirits of the passengers, who hurry past on their way to work.
6. In the writer’s opinion, street music can make people energetic and relaxed.
But street music gives life to everyone who listens and offers relief from the cares of the day. It only exists in the present, it only has meaning in the context. needs space. 但是街头音乐给每一个倾听的人带来活力，令 他们在一天的烦忧中感到宽慰。它只存在于当 下，也只有在情境中才具有意义。 。
3. According to the text, what’s the writer’s attitude to the street music?Why? He enjoys the street music. Because the street musician is keeping alive a culture which has almost disappeared in our busy, organized and regulated lives. 4. According to the text, where is the writer from?
What is the context for street music?
Street music must be in people’s ordinary life.
It is the music that really belongs to common people. It brings life and relief to those busy with their everyday life. Everyone has the chance to enjoy the beauty of music, whether rich or poor, happy or hard with life.
Translate the following sentence:
Focus on some expressions
P49 16. 站成半圆圈 stand in a semi-circle 17. 有意识地学习他们 consciously learn them 18. 提升精神 lift the spirits 19. 为一天的烦恼提供放松时刻 offer relief from the cares of the day 20. 存在于当下 exist in the present
1. I push my way through the crowd and find a quartet of musicians playing a violin suite of classical music.
2. All contributions are voluntary, no
one has to pay, but the crowd shrinks as some people slide away.
3. Below the window of my apartment
in Paris, a music man takes a place
made vacant by an earlier musician.
4. They plug it into the electrical
socket, and all of a sudden,
there’s dancing in the streets.
插座, 突然间, 街上的人们就跳
5.But street music gives life to everyone who listens and offers relief from the cares of the day. It only exists in the present, it only has meaning in the context. It needs space. 但是街头音乐给每一个倾听的人带来活力，令 他们在一天的烦忧中感到宽慰。它只存在于当 下，也只有在情境中才具有意义。它需要空间。
1. All contributions are voluntary, no
one has to pay, but the crowd
shrinks as some people slide away.
voluntary adj. 自愿的, 主动的,
(1) The prisoner made a voluntary statement. 那个犯人主动地做了供述。 (2) Charities rely on voluntary donations. 慈善事业依靠自愿捐献。 (3) She does voluntary social work. 她从事义务社会工作。
volunteer n. 志愿者, 自愿参加者
v. 自愿, 主动
词组: volunteer to do sth.
⑴ I volunteered to search for the
⑵ He volunteered to join the army.
shrink vi., vt. (shrank, shrunk 或 shrunken, shrinking) 1) (由于受热或水的作用) 缩小, 使变小;短缩 The dress shrank when I washed it. 这件 衣服洗后缩水了。
2) (常与from连用) 退缩; 回避
A shy man shrinks from meeting
用括号内所给单词的适当形式填空。 1. The two passersby ________ (passerby) were very thankful to us for directing them when they mistook their way. crowded (crowd) 2. All the shops are very ________ during Christmas holidays.
3. Although the air conditioner is working, many people are wiping sweat with their handkerchiefs ____________ (handkerchief). 4. The children are singing, jumping and running, showing a sight of _________ liveliness (lively). 5. Faced with difficult task, he has never ______ (shrink) back. shrunk
Why do some musicians perform in the street? What’s your attitude towards street music? Why?