Unit3 The Million Pound Bank Note
1. Fast reading Listen to the tape and then answer these questions. 1）. Where does Henry Adams come from? Does he know much about Lon
don? (Henry comes from San Francisco. No, he doesn’t know London at all. ) 2）. What did he do in America? (He worked for a mining company.) 3）. Why did he land in Britain? (He was sailing out the bay when he was carried out to sea by a strong wind and was survived by a ship for London. ) 4）. Why do the brothers make a bet? (Because they want to know if a poor man can live with a million pound note in a strange place.)
2. Careful reading 1). Read the text again and fill in the form according to the text and see what an experience Henry has. About a month ago Towards nightfall The next morning Later Henry was sailing ___ out of the bay; Henry found himself __ carried __ out to sea by a strong wind; Henry was spotted by a ship; Henry earned his passage by working on the ship as an unpaid hand,
which __accounts for his __ appearance ___ in London. Now Just at that time Henry was lost in London and wandering in the street. Roderick ___ called __ him and asked him to step in;
To Henry’s surprise Roderick gave Henry a __ letter ___ with ___ one million pound note ___ in it.
2). Put the following events in correct order (1) (2) (3) (4) wind. (5) On the ship he earned his passage by working as an unpaid hand. Henry wandered in London streets. About a month ago Henry Adams was sailing out of the bay. The next morning he was spotted by a ship. Towards nightfall he found himself carried out to sea by a strong
(Answer ：2， 4， 3， 5， 1 )
3). Discuss (1)What kind of persons you think the characters are? a. Henry Adams: proud (he earns his passage by working on a ship to England), careless( he arrived in England by accident after not sailing his boat well), honest (he asks for work not charity). b. Oliver & Roderick: rich (servants and not worrying about giving a stranger a million pound bank-note), mischievous(恶作剧的;调皮的,淘气的)(prepared to bet one million pounds just for a bit of fun), good judges of character( they see Henry is honest and proud) (2). What do you think will happen to Henry? (3). Will the bank-note help him or get him into trouble? (4). Give a possible development to the story.
Using language (Reading)
Step 1：Fast Reading Read through the text quickly and then complete the True or False questions. 1. The owner looked down upon Henry when he noticed Henry’s appearance. (T)
2. Henry asked for more of the same food because he is an American who likes to eat a lot. (F) 3. When Henry saw the million pound bank-note, he was happy and proud of it. (F) 4. The owner didn’t believe that the bank-note was real and he asked Henry to get out of the restaurant. (F)
Step 2：Careful Reading Read the passage and answer the following questions 1. What did the hostess feel when Henry came into the restaurant? How do you know? (She felt very impatient and looked down upon Henry because of his poor appearance. “Why, look at him, he eats like a wolf.” )
2. How about Henry’s feeling after he finished eating and asked another one? (He felt satisfied and full. That was a wonderful meal.)
3. Why were the owner and hostess shocked when they saw the million pound bank-note in Henry’ hand? (Because they never thought that the bank-note belonged to such a person in rags.)
4. What made them trust that the bank-note was genuine? (Mr. Clemens’ words. He said “Two notes in this amount have been issued by the Bank of England this year. No thief would want that to happen.” )
5. What can we learn from this story? (We shouldn’t judge people by appearance. Money is everything in the capitalist society.)
Step 3: Retell the story by filling the following blanks _____Hunger____ forced him to go into a restaurant. The owner and the waiters served him in a _____rude _____ manner. However, when they saw the note, their
_____attitude_____ to Henry changed greatly. It was very common to _____judge____ a stranger by their clothes in the capitalist countries.
1. bring up: 1）培养，抚养，教育 She brought up her children to be considerate of others. 她教育孩子要关心别人。 He was brought up by his aunt. 他被姑姑抚养大。 2）提出 We decided to bring up the problem at the next meeting. 我们决定在下次会议上提出这个问题。 3) 吐出，呕吐 He brought up his dinner. 他把晚餐吃得东西都吐了。 He fell ill and brought up his breakfast. 她生病了，把吃的早饭都吐了出来。
2. scene n. 1) 一场，一镜头 He added a new scene at the beginning. 在开头他又加了一场戏。 We missed the first few scenes of the film. 我们错过了这场电影开始的几个镜 头。 2) 景色，风景，场面 The night scene in Shanghai is quite beautiful. 上海的夜景非常美。 3) (发生事件的)现场，地点 They rushed to the scene of the traffic accident. 他们火速赶到车祸的现场。 辨析：scene , scenery 和 view （1）scene 指都市景观或室内陈设，还可以指舞台场面或部分布景，可数名词。 （2）scenery 指山河湖海等自然景观，也可以指舞台全部，是不可数名词。 （3） view 指从远处或高处看到的风景。 The view from the top of the hill is wonderful. 从山顶上眺望，风景很美。
Ex：I saw a happy ____ of children playing in the park. A. scene B. view C. scenery D. case
3. bet n. 1) make a bet 打赌 2) （金钱等）赌注 win/lose a bet 打赌赢/输了 I can make a bet with you that you must pass the exam. 我可以跟你打赌你一定能 通过考试。 Let’s make a bet on the next election. 咱们赌一赌下次的选举把。 I make a bet that we would win the football match. 我打赌我们会赢那场足球赛 v. 1) 打赌，赌博 Mrs. Black spent all her money betting on horses. 布莱克夫人把她所有的钱都花在 了赌马上。
4. permit 1）vt. 许可，允许，容许 ~ doing / n./ pron. 准许做某事 ~ sb. to do sth 准许 sb.做某事 We don’t permit making noise here. 我们不允许在这里吵闹。 The teacher didn’t permit us to swim in this river. 老师不允许我们在这条河里游 泳。 2）vi （事物）允许，成为可能 I will go to meet you if time permits. 如果时间允许的话，我们会去见你。 We’ll start tomorrow, weather permitting. 天气允许的话，我们明天出发。 3）n. 许可证，通行证 Please show your drive permit. 清出示你的驾照。 Ex: The teacher doesn’t permit_____ in class. A. smoke B. to smoke C. smoking D. to have a smoke
5. go ahead vi 词组
1) 前进; (工作等)推进 Thing are going ahead quite well. 事情进展地很顺利。 After they settled the problem, they were going ahead fast. 那个问题解决后，他们推进的速度加快了。 2）（催促对方）先请！请！ You go ahead and I’ll follow. I’m not quite ready. 你先走，我随后到。我还未完 全准备好。 3）该词组亦可作表示意见的肯定答语，译为“干吧！请吧，说吧，走，行等” “Would you mind if I opened the window?” “No. Go ahead.” 我打开窗子你介意吗？ 不介意，去开吧。
“May I use your phone?” “Yes, go ahead.” 我能用一下你的电话吗？ 行啊。 Ex：— I wonder if I could possible use your car for tonight? —_____ . I’m not using it anyhow. A. Sure, go ahead B. I don’t know C. Yes, indeed D. I don’t care
6. by accident = by chance 偶然地，意外地 Last time, I ran across her by accident /by chance. 上次我偶然碰到她。 on purpose 故意的 I think she lost the key on purpose. 我认为她是故意遗失钥匙。
7. find + 复合宾语结构 1）find + 宾语 + adj. + to do The boy found the novel difficult to read. 这个男孩发现这本小说很难读懂。 2）find + it + adj.+ to do 在此句型中 it 代替其后的不定式作形式宾语。 I found it hard to get along with his brother. 我发现很难同他的兄弟相处。 3）find + 宾语+adj./adv./过去分词/ 现在分词/介词短语 I found the job boring. 我发现这项工作令人厌烦。 I found him in his own room. 我发现他在自己的房间里。
He hurried to the store, only to find the door closed. 他匆忙赶到商店，发现门关着。 4）find oneself doing sth./ at / in 意识到自己非本意地干某事或处于某种境地 Peter，who was usually shy, found himself talking to the girls. 彼得一向腼腆，突然意识到自己在跟女孩们说话。 After wandering around, we found ourselves back at the hotel. 四处闲逛之后，我们不自觉地回到旅馆。 Ex： When we returned from our holidays, we found everything ____.What____ while we were away? A. changed; had happened C. had changed; has happened B. changing; happened D. was changed; happened
8. fault 1) n. 过错，缺点，故障，毛病 Her greatest fault is that she talks too much. 她最大的的缺点是话太多。 2) find fault with 挑剔 He is always finding fault with me. 他总是对我百般挑剔。 3) vt. 对…挑毛病 It was impossible to fault her performance. 她的演出无懈可击。 faultless adj. 无错的，完美的 faulty adj. 有缺点的，不完整的
9. account n．1）账户，账单 keep the account 记账 send in an account 报账
2） 账户， 户头 There are only 50 dollars in his account. 在他的账户上仅有 50 美元。 open an account 开户 3）记录，报告，叙述（report, description） Here is a brief account of the meeting. 这是对会议的简短记录。
Keep an account of your daily activities. 把你每天的活动都记录下来。
phrase：of great / small / no / account
He is a man of no account. 他是个无足轻重的人。 She was a scientist of great account. 她是个非常重要的科学家。 on account of = because of 由于，因为 He retired on account of poor health. 由于身体不好他退休了。 on no account 不论什么理由都不…（放在句首，句子倒装） On no account will I do it. 无论什么理由我都不做。 v．account for 1）对…做出解释，说明原因 How do you account for all the accidents in series? 你如何解释这接二连三发生 的事故呢？ He could not account for his absence from school. 他不能对自己的上课缺席做出 解释。 2）导致 Bad weather accounted for the long delay. 长期的延缓是由坏天气导致的。 Ex：She has been working hard day and night, which, of course, ____her pale face. A. accounts for B. stands for C. goes for D. answer for
10. seek （sought, sought）vt.& vi. 1）寻找，追求 They sought shelter from the rain. 他们找地方躲雨。 He found it worthless to seek fame. 他发现追求名声是不值钱得的。 2) 请求，征求，求教 You should seek advice from your lawyer on this matter. 在这件事上你应征求你律 师的意见。 3）企图，试图 They sought to punish him for his crime but he escaped. 他们试图惩罚他的罪行，但他却逃跑了。 phrase：seek one’s / a fortune 追求财富，碰运气
seek for /after 寻找，追求 She sought for a solution to the problem. seek one’s advice 征求某人的意见 Ex：In the early 1920s, thousands of people went to Australia to ____their fortune. A. seek B. take C. develop D. undertake
11. Patience, Mr. Adams. 耐心点，亚当斯先生。 patience n. 忍耐，以利，耐心 lose one’s / be out of patience with… 对…失去耐心 adj. patient 耐心的，能容忍的 be patient with sb./sth. 对…有耐心 You should be more patient with other. 你应该多容忍他人一些。
12. on the contrary contrary adj. 相反的，相对的，逆向的，对抗的 They walked in contrary directions. 他们各往相反的方向走去。 on the contrary 正相反，反之 You didn’t bother me. On the contrary, I like your company. 你没有打扰我，相反的是，我喜欢由你做伴。 be contrary to… 与…相反 My opinion is contrary to yours. 我的看法与你相反。 Ex：— You seem to show interest in cooking. — What? _____, I’m getting tired of it. A. on the contrary 13. reserve v. 1) book 预定 to ~ a seat on the plane B. To the contrary C. On the other hand D. Not at all
We must reserve / book a room at the hotel. 2) set aside 预留，保留 ~ sth (for sb./sth.)
These seats are reserved for special guests. 这些座位是留给贵宾的。 Reserve your strength for the climb. 留点力气准备登山吧。
adj. reserved 预定的，保留的
~ seats 预定的座位
14. I’m afraid it’ll cost a large amount of money. amount 1) 总额，总计，总数 What is the amount of the bill? 账单上的金额总计多少？
2）a large / small amount of…大量的/ 少量的 Large amount of money were spent on the bridge. 那座桥耗费了大量资金。 区别：a large amount of & a large number of a large amount of 与不可数名词连用，修饰用量计算的东西。 It will take us a large amount of money and time to finish the work. a large number of 修饰可数名词，修饰用数计算的东西。 I have a large number of things to do, so I can’t go to see a film with you. Ex: A hurricane hit the city last night and a large _____of damage was in a very short time. A. number B. deal C. amount D. sum
15. take a chance /take chances 碰运气;投机；冒险一次 You should never take a chance when driving a car. 开车时决不应冒险。 We will take a chance to go across the river. 我们要冒险度过这条河。 by chance 偶然 by any chance 万一，也许 by some chance 由于偶然的机会
chances are that… 很可能…，大概是… Chances are that he has already arrived. 他很可能已经到了。
16. manner n. 1）方式，方法 I like ducks cooked in a Chinese manner. 我喜欢中式烤鸭。
I don’t like the manner in which she speaks. 我不喜欢她说话的方式。 2）态度，举止 He has a rude manner, so I don’t like to talk to him. 我不喜欢和他交谈，他态度很 不礼貌。
He spoke in such a manner that they got angry. 他以这样的态度讲话，把他们惹生 气了。 3）礼貌（常用复数形式） People don’t like a person with bad manners. 人们不喜欢没有礼貌的人。
It’s bad manners to stare at people. 盯着别人看是不礼貌的。
17. indeed adv. 1) (表示赞同对方) 的确；实在 — Are you pleased at your son’s success? 2) (用以加强 very 等词的语气)确实，存在 I was indeed very glad to hear the news. 我听到这条消息的确非常高兴。 Thank you very much indeed. 实在太感谢你了。 — Yes, indeed.
I wonder if/whether e.g. I wonder if I might have a glass of water. wonder who/what/how etc e.g. I wonder how James is getting on. I wonder who is going to give a lecture.
语法 名词性从句 名词性从句是指在复合句中的作用相当于名词，分别作主语、表语、宾语和同位 语，即名词性从句包括主语从句、表语从句、宾语从句和同位语从句。连接词的 选用是考查的重点，that 只起连结作用，在从句中不作任何成分；if 和 whether 有词义； 连接代词在从句中做主语、 宾语和定语； 连接副词在从句中作状语。 如： I wonder what has happened to him. There is no doubt that the earth is becoming warmer and warmer year by year. When he will come back is not known.
Why not tell me where we shall discuss our plan? 1. 表语从句
从句在复合句中用作表语，一般放在主句的谓语动词（连系动词）后面。引导表语从句的关 联词有： 连接词 that, whether, as if, as though, because;连接代词 who, whom, what, which, whose;连接副词 when, where, how, why 等。如： ① 从属连词引导 The question is whether we should ask them for help. The fact remains that you are still behind the others. ② 连接代词引导 Guilin is not what it used to be. What she wants to know is which dress she should buy. ③ 连接副词引导 That is where Lu Xun used to live. That is why he didn’t pass the exam. That was how they were defeated. 注：还可由 as if 或 as though 引导。 It looks as if it were going to rain.
2. 宾语从句 引导词为 that; whether/ if; what; which; who; whom; whose; when; where; how; why and so on. The object clause can be placed after vt, prep, and some adj. 注意事项： ◆ 用陈述句的语序。 ◆注意从句的时态呼应（主句是现在时，从句用各种时态；主句是过去时， 从句用过去的时态，包括过去、过去进行、过去完成、过去将来），表示客观真 理或普遍事实时除外。
◆主句的谓语动词是 advise, demand, request, order, suggest, insist 时， 宾语从 句的谓语动词用 should +v. ◆主句的主语是第一人称， 谓语是 think, suppose, believe, expect, imagine 时， 否定转移。 ◆ that 引导宾语从句时，一般省略。不省略的情况为：a. 从句位于句首以示强 调时；b. 及物动词后的第二个及以后的宾语从句；c. 谓语动词和 that 从句间有 短语隔开时；d. 在复合宾语中；e. 宾语从句由“从句+主句”构成，从句的引导词 紧跟在主句谓语动词后，that 不省。
用以上单词或短语的正确形式填空 21. The accident caused ____________________________ damage. 22. If you think you can solve the problem, __________________. 23. Columbus discovered America ________________________. 24. There is no _______________________________ taste. 25. I don’t want to ___________________________ with you on who will win the match. 26. _________________________, I don’t like him very much because he is always _______________________ others’ success. 27. You will have to wait and ____________________________. 28. In the end I lost my ___________________ and shouted at her. 29. The poor man _______________________________ and looked hungry. 30. He ______________________ the book and didn’t pay attention to the outside world. 根据中文或首字母提示，填写所缺单词的适当形式。 31. Your brother is full of h________; he had us laughing all through the meal. 32. Zhang Yimu is one of the best d________ in the history of Chinese film industry. 33. People like his play because they find all the c________ in it are real. 34. The Japanese are used to b________ to each other when they meet. 35. The little girl s________ when she saw a mouse running by her feet. 36. It was really u________ that he fell off the truck without being hurt. 37. It is hard to imagine that she should be so r________ to an old lady. 38. Every night he would sit on the door steps, s________ into the darkness. 39. The first ________ (场景) of the play was almost over when they got to the theatre. 40. There were too many people and he had to force a ________ (通路) through the crowd. 41. It is good ________ (礼貌) to give your seat to an old man on the bus.
42. The sudden ________ (出现) of the policeman caused the thief to run away. 43. Though they were classmates, he was ________ (嫉妒) of Mary’s success. 44. In order to keep his money safe, he opened an ________ (账户) with the bank. 45. Be a little ________ (耐心). I will be ready in a few minutes. 请从下面选择适当的短语并用其正确形式填空。 make a bet, go ahead, by accident, account for, to be honest, in rags, even if get into trouble, be lost in, do with, take a chance, be about to 46. They ________ get down the hill when suddenly it began to rain heavily. 47. My brother never misses a class ________ he is ill and has a high fever. 48. The girl ________ so ________ listening to music that she forgot the meeting. 49. There is so much rubbish here that I really don’t know what ________ it. 50. Though he was told it was hard to find a job there, he still decided to ________. 51. — I wonder if I could use your typewriter? — Sure, ________. 52. — How did you find this important letter? — Quite ________. 53. He has been asked to ________ his absence. 54. If you don’t listen to the teacher’s advice, you will ________. 55. ________, I don’t like the way he does things. 句子翻译 56. 第二天早上, 我正感到绝望的时候, 一艘船发现了我. __________________________, I had about given up for lost _________________________. 57. 我靠做义工来顶替船费, 这就是我为什么衣冠不整的原因了. I earned __________________________________________ an unpaid hand, which ____________________ my appearance. 58. 她很有礼貌地与我们谈话. She talked to us in _____________________________________________. 59. 英格兰银行今年发行了两张这样面值的钞票. 不管怎样, 它不可能是假钞. Two notes __________________________________ by the Bank of England this year. ______________, it _______________________ fake. 60. 马克吐温出生在佛罗里达, 并在密西西比河边密苏里州的汉尼拔尔度过了他 的童年. Mark Twain ________________________ Florida and ______________________ in Hannibal, Missouri, __________ the Mississippi River. 61. 耶路大学和牛津大学为他的作品向他表示敬意. Yale and Oxford University __________________________________ . 62. 快到黄昏的时候, 我发现自己被一阵大风刮到了大海上.
________________, I found myself ___________________________ by a strong wind. 63. 患难才是真朋友. A friend _______________ is a friend ________________. 64. 你对我母亲得有耐心, 她的耳朵越来越背了. You’ll have to ___________________________ my mother—she is going rather deaf. 65. 恐怕明天会下雨。假如下雨的话，我们就不能举行足球赛了。 I’m afraid it will rain tomorrow. ______ _______ (假如下雨的话), we won’t be able to hold our football match. 66. 他是一个举止文雅但行动坚决的人.( gentle; manner; firm; action) 67. 使我印象深刻的是那个男孩总是举止得体.( behave oneself; 表语从句) 68. 一个人的性格决定了他的命运.( character; fate) 69. 父亲答应给我买一辆新自行车, 但他不允许我自己去买. (promise; permit) 70. 那位女士刚想讲话，她的丈夫便打手势让她保持沉默。(be about to)
句子翻译参考答案 56. 第二天早上, 我正感到绝望的时候, 一艘船发现了我. The next morning , I had about given up for lost when I was spotted by a ship. 57.我靠做义工来顶替船费, 这就是我为什么衣冠不整的原因了. I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand, which accounts for my appearance. 58. 她很有礼貌地与我们谈话. She talked to us in a very polite manner. 59. 英格兰银行今年发行了两张这样面值的钞票. 不管怎样, 它不可能是假钞. Two notes in this amount have been issued by the Bank of England this year. Anyway , it can’t be fake. 60. 马克吐温出生在佛罗里达, 并在密西西比河边密苏里州的汉尼拔尔度过了他 的童年. Mark Twain was born in Florida and spent his childhood in Hannibal, Missouri, along the Mississippi River. 61. 耶鲁大学和牛津大学为他的作品向他表示敬意. Yale and Oxford University honored him for his writing.. 62. 快到黄昏的时候, 我发现自己被一阵大风刮到了大海上. Towards nightfall, I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind. 63.患难才是真朋友.
A friend in need is a friend indeed. 64. 你对我母亲得有耐心, 她的耳朵越来越背了. You’ll have to be patient with my mother—she is going rather deaf. 65. 恐怕明天会下雨。假如下雨的话，我们就不能举行足球赛了。 I’m afraid it will rain tomorrow. __if_ __so_ (假如下雨的话), we won’t be able to hold our football match. 句子翻译 66. 他是一个举止文雅但行动坚决的人.( gentle; manner; firm; action) He is a man gentle in manner but firm in action. 67. 使我印象深刻的是那个男孩总是举止得体.( behave oneself; 表语从句) What impressed me a lot is that the boy always behaves himself \ well. 68. 一个人的性格决定了他的命运.( character; fate) The character of a person determines his fate. 69. 父亲答应给我买一辆新自行车, 但他不允许我自己去买. (promise; permit) My father promised to buy me a new bicycle, but he didn’t permit me to buy one myself. 70. 那位女士刚想讲话她的丈夫便打手势让她保持沉默。(be about to) The lady was about to say something when her husband signed her to keep silent.