Unit 5 Nelson Mandela——a modern hero
话题 词汇 The qualities of a great person; the lives of some great people Quality, mean, active, generous, self, selfish, selfless, selflessly, devote, d
evoted, found, republic, principle, peaceful, mankind, lawyer, guidance, legal, fee, hopeful, youth, league, stage, vote, attack, violence, equal, willing, unfair, African, escape, blanket, educate, educated, beg, relative, terror, cruelty, reward, sentence, anti-anti- black, president, opinion out of work, as a matter of fact heart 功能句式 come to power set up blow up in trouble turn to lose be sentenced to
1. 征求意见（ask for opinions） What do you think of….? What are your ideas? How do you feel about that?
What’s your opinion? Do you have any thoughts on that? Why do you think so?
上述征求意见的功能句子， 要注意常用和不常用的提示。 比如， Do you have any thoughts on that?就是不常用的，不需要学生会用，能读懂即可。
2. 发表意见（giving opinions） I think/ I don’t think … I believe/ I don’t believe (that)… In my opinion… To my understanding, I am with you. I feel that…/ I don’t feel that… 定语从句（以 when, where, why, 介词+which, 介词+whom 引导的定 语从句） The school where I studied for only two years was three kilometers away. The time when I first met Nelson Mandela was a very difficult period of my life. The reason why I got a job was because of my hard work. We were put into a position in which we had either to accept we were less important, or fight the government. Mandela was the black lawyer to whom I went for advice. He was generous with his time, for which I was grateful.
提示： 1、 定语从句是初高中的重要语法项目，也是学生较为容易理解的项目。
The first period ------warming up 教材分析：本单元以 Nelson Mandela —— a modern hero 为话题，目的在于使学
1. To arouse Ss’ interest in learning about heroes in history 2. To develop Ss’ listening and speaking ability.
Teaching procedures: Step1 warming up
? Describe yourselves First what kind of person are you? (shy, outgoing, fun, mean, immature, nice, kind, honest, brave, loyal, happy, wise, smart, friendly, warm, cheerful, popular, generous, hard-working, diligent, weak, stupid, lazy, dishonest, tense, cold, unkind, miserable, dull, strong-minded, determined etc.) ? Discussion (Encourage students to give five or six qualities that they think great persons have, and give their reasons.) ? Question 1: Who do you think are the greatest men in your mind? Can you name some? Question 2: In what way do you consider a man is a great? What is your standard? ? Look at page 33 and then ask the Ss if these famous people are great people. ? Conclusion: A great person is a person who has followed his or her ideas and sacrificed(牺牲) something so that they could be realized. A pop singer may be very popular with the young people, but he/she is not a great man/woman. A famous person may be well-known but if he or she has not gone through struggles and difficulties for their noble aims, they can not be called a great person.
Step2 language points:
1． devote vt oneself to 献身于、致力于。 。 。 devote one’s life/one’s time to….把生命、时间献给。 。 。 …to …把。 。 。用于。 。 。 E.g. He devoted his life to promoting world peace. He devoted his life to the promotion of world peace. devoted adj 忠实的, 深爱的 be devoted to 对…忠实, 对…深爱 a devoted friend
She is devoted to her husband.
The manager devotes all his spare time ______ the violin. B A. to practise B. to practising C. in practising D. for practising 2. fight for 为……而战 fight against 与……作斗争；与…作战 fight with 同 …并肩作战; 与… 作战 E.g. We will have to fight against difficulties. I’ll fight with you, in other words, I’ll support you. Slaves were fighting for freedom. 3. give up 表示主动放弃或屈服 e.g. He has decided to give up smoking. give in 表示被动屈服或认输， 后面不带宾语。如果接宾语用 give in to e.g. You can’t win the game, so you may as well give in.
The second period-----extensive reading Teaching aims:
1) To have Ss learn about some information about Nelson Mandela and the situation where the black was badly or unfairly treated. 2) To get Ss to learn about reason why Nelson Mandela helped the black people to get the same right as white people.
Step1 make prediction: Read the title of the text and guess what kind of writing the text is. (Narrative writing) Step2 scanning: read the text quickly and then decide how many parts this text can be divided into and then give the main ideas of each part. Part 1(Para. 1---2) The life of Elias’ before he met Nelson Mandela Part 2(Para.3---5) The change of Alias life after he met Nelson Mandela and what Mandela did. Step 3 skimming: Scan the test specific information to finish comprehending part. Step 4 Let’s go over the text once more to make a diagram of it with key words of each paragraph placed in the box.
Information of Elias Elias’ life before meeting Mandela
Black worker difficult period law firm
Six leave not pay gold mine passbook worried about
Tell help correct papers forget join No rights vote live job poorest areas not grow food Position accept fight peaceful blow up put in prison realize equal
Elias’ life after meeting Mandela
Black people’s problems
Support to Mandela
Homework 1. Go over the “Reading” and find out the useful expressions in it.
The third period----intensive reading
Language points: 1. The time when I first met Nelson Mandela was a very difficult period of my life. when 在句子中引导的是时间定语从句。when 指时间，在定语从句中做时间状语： e.g. I still remember the day when I first came to the school. The time when we got together finally came. 2. It was in 1952 and Mandela was the black lawyer to whom I went for advice. advice n. a piece of advice 一条建议 ask for advice 征求意见 give sb. advice on…关于…给某人建议 advise v. 1) advise sb. on/ about sth. 就……给某人出主意 e.g. I have advised you on that subject. 2) advise sb. to do sth. 建议某人干…… e.g. Our monitor advises me to practice more spoken English. 3)advise doing sth 建议做某事 e.g. I advise waiting until tomorrow. 4) advise that + (should) do e.g. I advise that you (should) not eat fruit that isn’t ripe. 3. …and I worried about whether I would become out of work. out of work 失业 (做表语或后置定语) e.g. Jim has been out of work for months. The number of people out of work reached 300. Out of …常有“出于，由于， 缺乏， 没有；放弃，丧失；越出。 。 。之外”等意义。 即学即练
At the railway station, the mother waved goodbye to her daughter until the train was (08 高考) A A. out of sight B. out of reach C. out of order D. out of place
4. The last thirty years have seen the greatest number of laws stopping our rights and progress, until today we have reached a stage where we have almost no rights at all. see 在此句意为“见证, 目睹”; (在某段时期)发生(某情况), 经历, 经受; 英语中有 些动词的主语有时不是人，而是物，而且经常是表时间和地点的名词。这是一种拟 人的用法，可以使句子显得生动有趣。 e.g. The last few months has seen more and more traffic accidents. The city has seen many changes. 5. We were put in a position in which we had either to accept we were less important, or fight the government. accept “接受”, 指的是主观上接受了 receive “收到”, 指客观收到但不一定接受 e.g. I accepted his invitation to the party． 译：我收到了他的邀请, 但我没有接受。I received his invitation, but I didn't accept. 6.…only then did we decide to answer violence with violence. only then 此处引起倒装句, 当 only 修饰状语位于句首时, 句子采用部分倒装的结 构。 e.g. Only by practicing a few hours every day will you be able to master English. Only then did I realize that I was wrong． Only in this way can you solve the problem. Only when he came back did we know the secret． You can leave only when he comes. = ______ ______ he comes _____ you leave.(Only when can) 注意 1: 如果 only 所强调的为状语从句, 该状语从句不倒装, 只对主句进行倒装, 从 句不倒装。 2: Only＋主语在句首时, 不用倒装 e.g. Only he knows the answer. Only when a child grows up does he understand his parents’ intentions. Only when the war was over in 1918 was he able to get happily back to work. [即学即练] D A C A 1) Only when I left my parents for Italy ___ how much I loved them. (08 重庆) A. I realized B. I had realized C. had I realized D. did I realize 2) ___ you eat the correct foods ___ be able to keep fit and stay healthy. (08 江苏) A. Only if; will you B. Only if; you will C. Unless; will you D. Unless; you will 3) It was announced that only when the fire was under control ____ to return to their
homes. (08 江西) A. the residents would be permitted B. had the residents been permitted C. would the residents be permitted D. the residents had been permitted 4) ___ by keeping down costs will Power Data hold its advantage over other companies. (2006 浙江) A. Only B. Just C. Still D. Yet 7. As a matter of fact, I do not like violence…but in 1963 I helped him blow up some government buildings. 1) as a matter of fact = in fact e.g. As a matter of fact, I don’t know the truth. --Have you always lived here? --__________________(= The truth is) I've only lived here for the last three years. 2) blow (sb. / sth.) up 使充气, 爆炸, 炸毁 They threatened to __________ the plane if their demands were not met. (blow up) He drove over a landmine and his jeep__________. (blew up) 即学即练 1.Whenever we are in _______ , we must never lose ______ , but try to think of the way out. C A. the trouble; our heart B. troubles; hearts C. trouble; heart D. trouble; our heart 2. She _________________________ the reciting work on time. (has trouble in finishing) 按时完成背诵作业对她来说有困难。 Homework: do learning about language.
The fourth period----- grammar
关系副词引导的定语从句: 1.When 指时间，在定语从句中作时间状语，相当于“介词+关系代词(which)”。 其先行词是表时间的名词（如：time, day, week, year, month, etc.） e.g. My father was born in the year when/ in which the Second World War broke out. ★ 先行词为"时间名词"，可用 when 引导定语从句，when 在定语从句中作状语；还 可以用 which 或 that 引导，which 或 that 在从句中作主语或宾语。 比较: 1. I still remember the day when /on which my brother joined the army.（作状语） 2. I still remember the days which/that we spent together. （作宾语） 2. Where 指地点，在定语从句中作地点状语，相当于“介词+关系代词(which)”。其 先行词是表示地点的名词，如：place, school, factory, room, etc. 如: e.g. I live in the room where /in which he used to live. ★先行词是"地点名词"，定语从句可用 where 引导，还可用 which 或 that 引导， which/that 在从句中作主语或宾语。
比较: 1. This is the factory where /in which he worked last year. （作状语） 2. This is the park which/that they visited last year. （作宾语） ●当先行词为 case, point, situation 时，而且这些词在句中作状语，这时也用关系副 词 where. 3. Why 指原因，在定语从句中作原因状语。先行词为 reason 时，可用 for which 指代；当关系词在从句中作主语或宾语时，则用 which 或 that 引导。如： e.g. 1.The reason why / for which he didn't attend the meeting was that he was ill.（作状 语） 2. I don't believe the reason (that/which) he gave me. （作宾语） Have you asked him the reason that may explain his success? （作主语） 即学即练 1. October 1, 1949 is the day ___________we will never forget. （that / which） 2. Is this the shop ___________ sells children’s clothing（which / that） 3. This is the factory ___________ make toys. (which / that) 4. This is the factory _______________he worked ten years ago. (where / in which) 高考链接(ADDDAA) 1. He was educated at the local high school, ______ he went on to Beijing University. (2007 江苏) A. after which B. after that C. in which D. in that 2. it’s helpful to put children in a situation they can see themselves differently. （08 福建） A. that B. when C. which D. where 3. Some pre-school children go to a day care center, _______they learn simple games and songs. （2007 全国卷 I） A. then B. there C. while D. where 4. Today, we’ll discuss a number of cases beginners of English fail to use the language properly. （2007 陕西卷） A. which B. as C. why D. where 5. The Science Museum, ______ we visited during a recent trip to Britain, is one of London’s tourist attractions. （08 江苏卷） A. which B. what C. that D. where 6. They will fly to Washington, ___ they plan to stay for two or three days. （08 重庆卷） A. where B. there C. which D. when Homework: Do the exercises in p37
The fifth period-----listening, speaking and writing
Teaching Aims: ? To help the students listen about the same topic as is read in the first period ? To help students read another passage about the same person covered in the first
period ? To help students write an imaginary letter making use of the learned words and structures Teaching procedures: Step 1 Pre-listening Group work: Ask Ss to discuss with their partners in groups of four according to the questions and try to predict the answers to the following questions What is a passbook? Why is it important? What job did Elias want to do? Who worked underground? Who worked on the surface? Where did Elias live? Step2 Listening Listen to the tape and finish off the exercise in the text book. Step 3 reading Group Work: Scan the text in two minutes and ask the Ss to discuss the questions, and then answer them in pairs. (1)What did Elias do when he was in prison? (2) Finally, what did Elias take as his job? Did he enjoy it? Suggested answers: (1) He studied and was taught by Nelson Mandela when he was in prison. (2) His job is taking the tourists round his old prison, at first he didn't enjoy his job but later he was proud to do this. Step 4 read the passage again and then fill in the chart in page 39. Step 5 discuss the questions in page 39 Step 6 Prepare for information:Skim the text and find out the answers to the following questions. See who can be the first to find out all the answers. When did Nelson Mandela complete his law degree at the university? When was ANC Youth League formed? What did he set up in 1952? Why was it closed by government? Why was he sentenced to five year hard labor in 1962? What did the ANC do in 1963? Step 7 Speaking Group Work: Divide the students into groups to discuss What do you think of Nelson Mandela? Step 8 writing After discussion, conclude your ideas and write a short passage about Nelson Mandela Homework:Finish the exercise book.