1. The style of Western art has changed many times, while Chinese art has changed less often. while 表示对比或相反的情况 --I drink
black coffee while he prefers it with cream. --English is spoken all over the world, while Turkish is spoken by few people.
2. Art is influenced by the way of life and beliefs of the people. ? He acted in accordance with his strongly held beliefs. 他按照自己坚定的信念行事。 他按照自己坚定的信念行事。 ? belief 信条 信仰 信条, 信仰—beliefs (pl.)
3. consequently “福斯特先生从未去过中国 所以对 福斯特先生从未去过中国, 所以对 福斯特先生从未去过中国 中国了解得很少。” 中国了解得很少。 Mr Foster has never been to China. Consequently, he knows very little about it.
It rained that day and ___ the baseball game was called off. A. however C. so B. still D. D consequently
4. In the Renaissance, new ideas and values took the place of those that…. take the place of = take one’s place = replace 代替 I will take the place of my father for a while. Who will take the place of him if he doesn’t come?
take place 发生 举办 发生, take one’s place 就座 坐下 就座, When did the accident place take exactly? place of took the I’ll my father for a whiletake my father’s place = I’ll for a took place while.
5. People became focused more on humans and less on religion. 1) focus on 集中 注意力 精力等 集中(注意力 精力等) 注意力, I will focus on the main group of people over there. All the eyes focused on him.
2). 调焦距 This photograph looks funny; I think you forgot to focus the camera. I’ll ________ the main group of focus on people over there. All the eyes _______________ him. were focused on
6. They paid famous artists to paint…their houses and other possessions… possession n. 拥有, 占有, 所有, 着迷, 领土, 领地, 拥有 占有 所有 着迷 领土 领地 财产 (常用复数 常用复数) 常用复数 possess v. --He possesses two cars. 他有两辆汽车。 他有两辆汽车。 --She possesses some interesting pictures. 她有一些有趣的画儿。 她有一些有趣的画儿。
7. They were convinced… convince vt. -d; -cing 使相信; 信服; 使相信 信服 说服 He convinced me that I should study law. 他劝我应该学法律。 他劝我应该学法律。
--It took many hours to convince the court of his guilt. 花费了许多个小时法庭才相信他有 罪。 --Everyone was convinced by his words.
8. In the late 19th, Europe changed a great deal. a great deal, a good deal 用作 用作n./adv. 大量的; 得多 跟在比较级后 跟在比较级后) 大量的 ….得多 (跟在比较级后 -He ate a great deal for supper yesterday. (n.)
-She is a great deal better today. -She has a great deal of experience. 她有丰富的经验。 她有丰富的经验。 -I have a great deal of work to do. a great deal of money/ information/ water
1) 昨天晚上他吃了很多。 昨天晚上他吃了很多。 He ate a great deal for supper yesterday. ____________________________________ 2) 他跑得比我快得多。 他跑得比我快得多。 He ran a great deal faster than me. _______________________________ a great/good deal of为形容词,只接不可数名 为形容词, 为形容词 词 3) 那个项目花费了大量金钱。 那个项目花费了大量金钱。 A great deal of money was spent on ______________________________ the project.
many few/a few a good/great many a large/ great/ big/ small number of many a +单数名词 单数名词 more than one +单数名词 单数名词
much little/a little a good/great deal of a large amount of (谓语动词用单数 谓语动词用单数) 谓语动词用单数 large amounts of (谓语动词用复数 谓语动词用复数) 谓语动词用复数
修饰可数和不可数名词: 修饰可数和不可数名词 a lot of/lots of plenty of a large quantity of (谓语动词用单数 谓语动词用单数) 谓语动词用单数 large quantities of (谓语动词用复数 谓语动词用复数) 谓语动词用复数
9. shadow--shade 影子 『U』—任何遮住 』 任何遮住 阳光的地方 became longer. . shadows and take a rest. shade
As the sun set, the football match has four Let’s find some
shadow Under the floodlight, each player in the
10. Nowadays,there are scores of modern art styles. scores of 很多 几十 很多, score a goal (游戏、比赛的 得分 评分 游戏、 游戏 比赛的) 得分, The score in the football game was 4 - 1. 足球比赛的比分是四比一。 足球比赛的比分是四比一。
注意: 前不能加数词;数词 注意 scores of 前不能加数词 数词 +score, 有时加 有时不加 of 有时加of, A score (of) people attended the special performance. 二十人 Two score (of) those people wanted to fly there. 四十人 好几十人: 好几十人 scores of people/ books/ flowers
I have heard that scores of (很多 很多)times. 很多 Nowadays, there are scores of（好几十 种）modern art styles. 很多) 很多 Scores of (很多 people attended the special performance. _________(有20人) people were A score of 有 人 present at the party.
11. …the painter does not attempt to paint….. 尝试、企图 n. /v. 尝试、 The second question was so difficult that I didn’t even attempt it. I attempted to speak but was told to keep quiet. She made an attempt to lock the door. attempt to do/doing = try to do/doing
1) 他试图行走直到摔倒。 他试图行走直到摔倒。 attempted walking until he fell over. He______________________________ 2) 他参加过考试，可是失败了。 他参加过考试，可是失败了。 He________________________ but attempted the examination failed. 3) 我企图说话，可是有人要我安静点。 我企图说话，可是有人要我安静点。 attempted to speak I ________________ but was told to be quiet.