I am very old now. I was born in China. Many people used me for calculating in the past, but now I am a bit lonely because they don’t like me now. Do you know who I am?
I am very small. I can be used for calculating. In China, a lot of students use me when solving mathematical problems. Do you know who I am?
It is a machine, which
you can use to type
your homework, draw pictures, play games, watch movies, listen to music, communicate
with your friends,
Who am I ?
It is a kind of computer which can be taken conveniently(方便地) like a notebook. Do you know who I am?
Components of a computer
CPU (central processing chips 主板 Unit) 中央处理器
monitor显示器 keyboard 键盘 mouse 鼠标
History of computers
What do you know about computers? Where can you find them?
What can computers do?
I think that … In my opinion … I believe that …
music and films
chat information photos shopping
计算机（computer）俗称电脑，是一种用于高速计 算的电子计算机器，可以进行数值计算，又可以进 行逻辑计算，还具有存储记忆功能。由硬件系统和 软件系统所组成，没有安装任何软件的计算机称为 裸机。计算机发明者约翰·冯·诺依曼。计算机是 20世最先进的科学技术发明之一， 对人类的生产活动和社会活动产生
n. 订货；订购 p.33 v. 比较；对比 p.33
n. (计算机)显示器 p.33
n. 扬声器 p.34
n. (计算机)主机 p.34
n. (计算机或打字机的) 键盘 p.34
n. (计算机)鼠标 p.34
v. 打字 p.34
n. 脑 p.34
v. 操纵，控制 p.34
adj. 昂贵的；价格高的 p.34
depend *calculate speed operate railway
adj. 极小的；微小的 p.35
v. 依靠；依赖 p.35 v. 计算 p.35 n. 速度 p.35 v. 操作；控制 p.35 n. 铁路系统 p.35
work as (be) unaware of
从事……工作 p.34 没意识到；未察觉 p.35
in addition in the 1940s happen to change one’s life
除……以外（还）p.35 在二十世纪四十年代 发生在……身上 改变某人的生活
1. I don’t know how the computer________ operates
2. We drove at a ________of 60 kilometers an hour. speed
3. The animals are kept in ______( tiny 小的）cages and can
hardly move at all. 4. If I want to write fast, I must learn to ______( type 打字）。 5. We shouldn’t ________(依靠）too much on our depend parents.
6. This mobile phone is very e__________. xpensive
7. What is the p________of this CD player? rice
8. Miss Li is very p__________with her students, because opular
her class is very interesting.
9. His father can c__________this machine . ontrol
10. Our b_______control our thoughts . rains
1. 那场意外事故改变了他的生活。 his _____. life That accident changed _____ _____ 2. 除了这间服装店，她还有一间鞋店。 In addition She owns a clothes shop. _____ _____, she owns a shoes shop. 3. 长大后我们不应该依靠父母。
We shouldn’ t _____ _____ depend on our parents after we grow up.
4. 我妈妈在一所中学从事教师工作。 works _____ as a teacher in a middle school. My mother _____
What do you know about …?
How much do you know about computers ? Look at the photo below and complete the sentences with the speakers correct names.
monitor main unit mouse keyboard The ________ monitor shows words and pictures. We use the _____________ keyboard for typing. The “brain” of a computer is in the _____________. main unit We move the ____________ to control the computer. mouse We hear sound form the ___________. speakers
1 2 3 4 5
Before you read
Look at the pictures, the title and the sub-headings of the article on page 35. Then tick(√) the facts that the article probably talks about.
1. Computers are getting smaller and better. √ 2. Computers can do important jobs like flying planes. √ 3. Computers may work as doctors. √
4. Computers are expensive. X
C1 The words in italics explain the meanings of some words on page 35.Find these words to complete the sentences. Change their forms if necessary.
1 If something is very small, it is _______. (line 5) tiny 2 Some young people always need help from their parents. They should learn to _____________ depend on themselves. (line 8) 3 We had fun and learnt something new as well. We had a good time. _______________ ,we learnt a lot. (line In addition 14) 4 When we make a machine work, we ____________it. operate (line 16)
C2 Complete the conversation below with the words from the box.
depend on expensive In addition speed
Mark : I bought a new computer. Helen: Why? Mark : I bought my first computer five years ago. I used it almost every day, and it became really slow.
Helen: I see. So how’s your new computer?
Mark : It was really ___________, expensive but it works at a must faster______ speed than my old one. ______________, In addition it has a larger monitor. my computer a lot these Helen: I also ______________ depend on days. I use it to write reports, and to get on the Internet too. My computer Works well , so I’m not going to buy a new one.
D1 Read the article on page 35 and complete the answers with the example from the article.
1. S1: There may be tiny computers in your home. S2：Where，for example？ S1：Inside your _______ or___________. TV washing machine
2 S1: We can do many things with computers in our daily life. S2: For example? S1: We can _________,_____ calculate type and them. draw______with things
3 S1: Computers can do some important jobs. S2: For example? S1: They can ______________and_________________. operate railways fly planes and spaceships 4 S1: One day, computers may be able to do a better job than human beings S2: For example? S1: They_________________________________. may be better than doctors at doing their job
D2 Read the article again and answer the questions below in complete sentences. 1 What were the first computers like? ______________________________________ They were bigger than cars. 2 Why are we unaware of some computers? ____________________________________ Because they are tiny. 3 Are computers cleverer than you and me? Why or why not? ____________________________________________ No, they aren't. Because our brain can produce new ideas but computers cannot.
D3 Discuss and answer the questions below with your classmates.
1 Do you depend on computers a lot in your daily life？ Give examples. 2 Do you agree that computers will be able to do all our jobs in the future？Give reasons.
Smaller and better In the 1940s, the first computers were bigger than cars. Now computers are becoming smaller and better. Some computers are tiny. You may be unaware of them. There is probably one inside your TV or washing machine. You depend on computers more than you realize. What can we do with computers? We can use computers to calculate. They can calculate at a faster spend than we can and almost never give wrong answers. We can also type and draw things with them. In addition, computers can do important jobs like operating railways and flying planes and spaceships.
Is a computer cleverer than me? The answer is “No’’. Your brain can produce new ideas but computers cannot. However, one day computers may be able to do a better job than human beings. For example, they may be better than doctors at doing their job.
What will happen to us if computers can do all our jobs? Will we have nothing to do? Computers may change our lives, but will they make them better?
1. They can calculate at a faster speed ...
它们能以比较快的速度进行运算…… speed 在这里用作名词，意为“速度”，常与介词at 或 with 搭配使用。一般来说，speed前面有冠词的话，
常用介词at；否则就用with。常用短语at a speed of ...
意为“以……的速度”。例如： 请以安全的速度驾驶。 Please drive at a safe speed. 他是一个速度快的足球运动员。
He is a football player with good speed.
选用at或with填空并翻译其与speed构成的短语。 1. He finished the work ______ with surprising speed. 以惊人的速度 2. At night, they moved ______ at a low speed. 以很慢的速度 3. The man drove his car ______ at a speed of one
hundred kilometres per hour. 以……的速度
2. In addition, computers can do important jobs ... 除此之外，电脑还能做重要的工作…… in addition 是短语 副词，意为“除……以外(还)”，相 当于besides，两者可以互换使用。in addition 在句中 常单独使用，放在句首时，常用逗号与句子隔开。 例如： 他钢琴弹得好，除此之外，他还能唱歌。 He can play the piano well. In addition / Besides, he can sing. 【拓展】in addition to ... 意为“除了…… 之外(还)”， 后面常接名词、代词或动词ing，可与besides互换使 用，常放在句子中间。例如： 除了英语之外，我还喜欢化学。 I like Chemistry in addition to / besides English.
It is too late to go out now. Besides, it is raining. It is too late to go out now. __________ In addition , it is raining. 根据中文意思完成句子。（每空不限一词） 1. 除了必须要做家务之外，她还要照顾弟弟。
She must do the housework. In ___________, addition / Besides
she must look after her younger brother.
Three classmates want to go in ___________ addition toZhang Li. / besides
3. For example, they may be better than doctors at doing their job. 例如，它们可能比医生工作得更好。 Computers may change our lives, ... 电脑可能改变我们的生活，…… 情态动词may 在这两个句子中表示推测，意为“可 能；也许”，只是一种可能性，常用于肯定句和否 定 句中，用于否定句中时，not不是否定may，而是否 定句子里的动词。may的另一种用法表示许可，意 为“可以”。
1. If I am busy tomorrow, I may not come.
________________________表示_____ 如果我明天忙，我可能不来。 推测
2. You may go home now.
________________________ 表示_____ 你现在可以回家了。 许可
3. The story may not be true.
________________________ 这个故事可能不是真的。 表示_____ 推测
4. What will happen to us if computers can do all
如果电脑能做我们所有的工作，我们将会怎样？ happen to是动词短语，意为“发生在……身上”。 happen也可以单独使用， 意为“(偶然)发生”，常用 名词或代词作主语，可与take place 互换使用。如：
The story happened / took place in June, 1990. 昨天他出了车祸。 A traffic accident happened to him yesterday.
5. ... but it works at a much faster speed than my old one. …… 但是它运作起来速度比我的旧电脑快得多。 much 在此句中用作程度副词，修饰faster。much 常 放在形容词或副词比较级的前面，表示比较级的程 度，一般翻译为“……得（的）多”。能修饰比较 级 的程度副词还有（按程度大小排列）：a little / a bit (一点)，still /even (更)，far / much / a lot (……得/ 的 多)。例如：a little taller 高一点，still / even taller 更 高，far / much / a lot taller高得多。 我妈妈每天早上起床比我爸爸早得多。 My mother gets up earlier than my father every morning.
1.The dress is too e_____ . I don’t have enough xpensive money to buy it. 2. Humans use their b_____ rains for thinking. 3. It’s not good for parents to compare _____ their children with other children. 4. The plane travels at a high s_____. peed
( A ) 1. The train is running ____ a speed of 200 km/h. A. at B. with C. on D. in ( C ) 2. Travelling by plane is fast. ____, it’s more comfortable. A. Above all B. In fact C. In addition D. In the way ( B ) 3. We all live on Earth. Let ’s make it even ____. A. well B. better C. good D. nice ( A ) 4. ____ a spaceship is a difficult job. A. Operating B. Operator C. Operation D. Operate
根据中文意思完成句子。 1.你不能依赖别人来帮助你。 You can’t _____ _____ depend on others to help you. 2. 那时他没意识到危险。 was unaware of/ did not realize He _____ _____ _____ the danger at that time. 3. 他现在在这个公司担任经理。
He _____ works_____ as a manager in this company now.
He is very clever. In _____ _____,he is very friendly. addition
n. 订货；订购 v. 比较；对比
n. 扬声器 n. (计算机)主机 n. (计算机)鼠标 v. 打字 n. 脑
speaker main unit mouse type brain
n. (计算机或打字机的) 键盘 keyboard
v. 操作；控制 n. 铁路系统
(be) unaware of
depend on in addition
1. 抄写单词和短语：monitor, speaker, main unit, keyboard, mouse, type, brain, control, expensive, tiny, depend, calculate, speed, operate, railway, work as, (be) unaware of, depend on, in addition等。 2. 思考：除了银行的ATM机，电脑还被广泛运用于 日常生活中的哪些领域？
3. 完成《练习册》第34页Vocabulary和第41页 Reading A的练习。