SIDE BY SIDE Book 1
Name :_________ Grade :_________ School:_________ Scores :_________ CHOOSE Example： A． What’s he doing ? B． He’ his rug . a. wat
ching b. vacuuming c. painting d. looking 1 . A. What’s you name ? B. name is pat . a .My b. His c. Her d. Your 2. A. Where are you friends ? B. are at school . a. We b. You c. They d. They’re 3. A. What’s Bob wearing ? B. He’s wearing a pair . a. brown of pants b. of parts brown c. brown pants d. of brown pants 4. A. What are you doing ? B. We’re . a. cook b. cooking c. our cooking d. are cooking 5. A. Is it very warm in Honolulu ? B, Yes. It’s . a. hot b. snowing c. cold d. cool 6. A. Are you washing your clothes ? B. No, . a. I am b. I not c. I’m not d. you are 7. A. Is your VCR old ? B .Not, it isn’t. It’s . a. tall b. young c. quiet d. new 8. A. Can I help you ? B . Yes. I’m looking for a . a. blouse b. gloves c .umbrella d. dresses 9. A. Is this Ms. Watson’s car ? B. No car is green. a. Her b. It’s c. She d. His 10. A. Where’s the ? B. It’s in the classroom . a. attic b. shower c. globe d. school 11. A. What’s your son doing ? B He’s his teeth . a. eating b. brushing c. painting d. drinking 12. A. Is this Tom ? B. Yes . a. he is b. it is c. it’s is d. I am 13, A. Is Bob’s dog thin? B. No. It’s . a. heavy b. small c. tall d. short
A. are they? B, They’re in San Francisco. a. Who b. How c. Where’s d. Where A. Where’s the dictionary? B. in the living room. a. It’s b. Its c. He’s d. Is
CHOOSE Example: They’re making a lot nose. a. of b. a c. to d. for 16. The television is front of the window. a. on b. in c. at d. a 17. is the post office？ a. Where b. What c. Who d. Where’s 18. a school near the park. a. These b. They c. There’s d. Is 19. My father’s sister is my . a. cousin b. daughter c. grandmother d. aunt 20. Are your pencils ? a. this b. those c. that d. these are 21. There aren’t any in this neighborhood. a. book store b. clinic c. parks d. cafeteria 22. Those are large. a. houses b. house c. house’s d. office 23. She’s my . a. husband b. niece c. brother d. nephew 24. many windows are these in the living room ? a. Who b. What c. Are d. How 25. My children are doing homework . a. their b. there c. these d. they’re 26. My favorite color is . a. broken b. blue c. big d. striped 27. Mrs. Chen is in the park. a. raining b. feeding c. reading d .fixing 28. Nice to you . a. hello b. spell c. tell d. meet 29. There aren’t any here . a. children b. man c . child d. parent 30. He’s swimming the beach.. a. in b. at c. for d. on 31. Is your necklace? a. these b. those c. this d. that’s 32. Carol Jim are eating breakfast . a. and b. at c. our d. or 33. Is there a TV in bedroom . a. are b. you’re c. you d. your 34. My mother’s brother is my . a. son b. uncle c. grandfather d. father
35. Where you from ? a. our b. are c. is d. for 36. My daughter is her homework . a. having b. playing c. doing d. calling 37. Joe is studying . a. dinner b. the library c. the radio d. mathematics 38. me. I’m looking for a belt. a. Sorry b. Hi c. Excuse d. Tell 39. What’s your ? a. house b. address c. doing d. live 40. a computer in the library ? a. Is there b. Is their c. There d. There is WHICH WORD? （These This It’s） my neighborhood .My house is is (on in at ) Pine Street .Near my house (they’re it there) is a library .My school is around the corner (from to at ) the library .My friend (Jack Jack’s Jack is) house is (across next between) to my house.. It’s a beautiful day today. Jack and I（is am are ） playing outside in my (bedroom kitchen yard ) .(We’re They’re You’re ) playing baseball. (Our Their My ) mother is happy we aren’t playing in the house . We’re very (noisy new thin ).
SIDE BY SIDE Book 2
Name :_________ Grade :_________ School:_________ Scores :_________ CHOOSE Example： We need a_____ of ice cream. a. jar b. pint c. pound d. glass 1.He ate too_____ cheese . a. more b. much c. many d. few 2. It’s going to rain. You ______take a raincoat. a. don’t b. can’t c. should d. might not 3. If you walk _______Main Street, you’ll see the library across from the post office. a. off b. in c. at d. down 4.Sally _______to the beech next week. a. went b. is going c. drove d. going 5.John is ______than George. a. honester b. honest c. more honest d. as honest 6.The video store is _______to the train station. a. across b. in front c. right d. next 7.Jim _______his daughter to school every morning. a. going to drive b. is driving c. drives d. drive 8.Jane is _______student in our class. a. the better b. the best c. as better as the d. best 9._______you tell me how to get to the ice cream shop? a. Could b. How c. Do d. Will you 10.How ________does a bunch of grapes cost? a. long b. many c. soon d. much 11. What’s _______way to the book store? a. easiest b. fastest c. the fastest d. easiest 12. _______the Pine Street bus to Fifth Street, a. Take b. Get off c . Make d. Took 13. My friend Betty _______letters to her friend last weekend. a. will be writing b. wrote c. writes d. write 14. Howard’s car isn’t ________Mike’s car. a. as expensive than b. the most expensive as c. as expensive as d. the more expensive than 15.It’s on the corner ______Park Street and Ninth Avenue. a. off b. of c. along d. on 16.They ______their car tomorrow. a. going to wash b. washed c. washing d. are going to wash 17.Pour in ______water. a. a box of b. a pound of c. a quart of d. a little of 18.I’m afraid I ______get hurt. a. might b. should c. might not d. am going
19.Let’s buy a _______of bread. a. loaf b. love c. loaves d. dozen 20. The movie will begin in_____. a. eight thirty b. fifteen minutes c. few minutes d. little while 21.Drive along South Street and _____right at the restaurant. a. on the b. you’re be c. you’ll see it d. turn 22. Can I have a ______pieces of pie? a. little b. few c. some d. not too many 23.This is the ______one we have. a. large b. larger c. Larger than be d. largest 24. There aren’t ______more strawberries. a. some b. much c. any d. as many 25.______ be visiting you next Sunday. a. We’ll b. We’re c. Will d. We 26. There ______any more lettuce. a. aren’t b. shouldn’t c. won’t d. isn’t 27. My classmates ______to have a party next week. a. will b. might c. are going d. like 28. I need a ______cereal. a. bag of b. bunch c. bowl d. box of 29.My sister is ______than my brother. a. friendly b. as friendly as c. friendlier d. the friendlier 30. Sally’s garden is more beautiful______. a. than mine b. than my c. as mine d. as me 31. Did you ______TV last night? a. saw him on b. wash c. watch d. watched 32. The game will end in ______. a. three o’clock b. few hours c. few minutes d. half an hour 33. When ______here? a. will Bill be b. Bill will be c. will be Bill d. will be Bill be 34.We’re afraid we ______ have a terrible time. a. don’t b. won’t c. might d. should 35. The bus stop is ______the zoo. a. cross from b. at the corner c. along d. between 36. Ann isn’t as rich as Sue ,but she’s much _____. a. happiest b. as happy c. happy d. happier 37. What are you ______now? a. doing b. going c. do d. study in school 38. I______ a sweater for his birthday last year. a. give him b. him gave c. gave him d. gave him to 39.Do the monkeys ______ eat bananas? a. want b. like to c. usual d. like 40. ______the soup be ready soon? a. Does b. Is c. Will d. Do
WHICH WORD? Ralph wants (buy to buy buys) (some many few) new clothes , so on Saturday he’s (go going will) to the department store downtown. Last summer Ralph (buys buyed bought) a (few little many ) pairs of pants , but this year he isn’t as (thin thinner thinnest) as he was before. Ralph also wants to buy a new TV. He has a nice TV now, but he wants to buy ( nicest the most nice the nicest) TV available .He (likes might will ) buy the TV at the department store, but there’s a (good the best best) TV store ( next around across) from the department store .Maybe (will he’ll he’s) buy the TV at the department store ,and maybe he won’t.
SIDE BY SIDE Book 1
Name :_________ Grade :_________ School:_________ Scores :_________ CHOOSE Example： A. Was she late？ B. No, she ____. She was on time. a. was b. didn’t c. wasn’t d. isn’t 1. A. Is your daughter studying? B. No, she____. a. doesn’t b. isn’t c. sleeping d. wasn’t 2. A. How are you? B. I _____a terrible headache. a. have b. feel c. do d. am 3. A. Were Tom and Bill at work today? B. No, they_____. a. wasn’t b. weren’t c. were d. didn’t 4. A. What languages does your mother speak? B. She_____ English and Spanish. a. speak b. speaking c. read d. speaks 5. A. When do you see Bob and Julie? B. I see _____every day. a. them b. they’re c. her d. they 6. A. Can you ski? B. No,_____. a. we can b. I can c. I can’t d. you can’t 7. A. Can you go to the movies with us? B. I’m sorry. I _____ to work.. a. can b. have c. going d. can’t 8. A. What time is it? B. It’s two_____. a. past fifteen b. quarter c. and fifteen d. fifteen 9. A. _____is the meeting? B. It’s at 10:00. a. What b. Where c. When d. What kind 10. A. What’s the matter with Timmy and his sister? B. _____colds. a. He has b. They have c. She has d. They’re 11. A. What did you do last night ? B. We _____ cards. a. play b. did play c. played d. playing 12. A. What’s your ______name ? B. His name is Walter. a. nephew b. uncle’s c. aunt’s d. niece’s 13. A.______ is he going to the doctor？ B. He’s going to the doctor because he’s sick. a. How b. When c. Why d. Where
14. A. Do your neighbors make a lot of noise? B. No, they ______. a. do b. don’t c. don’t make d. doesn’t 15. A. My father is cooking dinner. B. That’s strange. He ______cooks dinner. a. always b. sometimes c. usually d. never CHOOSE Example: What time _____ the concert begin tonight? a. is b. going to c. does d. do 16. Martha usually ____shopping on Wednesday. a. is b. goes c. does d. has 17. Where _____ last night? a. do they do b. were they went c. did they go c. went they 18. Is that new car ? a. Mr.Wilson b. of Mr.Wilson c. Mr.Wilsons d. Mr.Wilson’s 19. My daughter a red bicycle . a. is b. has c. ride d. have 20. Why are they their apartment today ? a. clean b. vacuum c. cleaned d. cleaning 21. Bob can soccer today . a. playing b. play c. plays d. played 22. Nancy is going to visit me _____ . a. yesterday b. last night c. this afternoon d. the weekend 23. _____ there a laundromat near here ？ a. Is b. Are c. Do d. Dose 24. She isn’t ____ the living room . a. at b. in c. to d. on 25. When ____ to work ? a. you go b. go you c. you do go d. do you go 26. She _____ busy now . a. isn’t b. aren’t c. doesn’t c. don’t be 27. These ______ are Heavy . a. glass b. chair c. books d. box 28. Befor we washed our windows , they ______ dirty. a. was b. are c. can’t be d. were 29. Betty _____ that book last week . a. is reading b. reads c. read d. readed 30. I _____ the test last week . a. taked b. took c. taking d. take 31. They don’t ____ . a. want go b. want to going c. want to go d. want going 32. Why ______ you late ? a. were b. went c. was d. did
33. My son rarely studies, but _____ today. a. he’s study b. he usually studies c. he studies d. he’s studying 34.Susan didn’t _____ he hair today. a. brushed b. brushes c. brush d. brushes 35. Ted was late because he ______ on time for the train. a. wasn’t b. was c. weren’t d. isn’t 36. My sister ______ to fix her sink. a. is going b. going c. can d. want 37. What does Frank _____ on Friday ? a. goes b. go c. does d. do 38. I ate breakfast befor I _____ to work. a. have b. drive c. went d. go 39. _____ Pamela eat at that restaurant？ a. Does b. Is c. When d. Where 40. Richard _____ sing, but he can dance. a. has to b. can’t c. like to d. isn’t WHICH WORD (enjoying enjoy enjoyed) my day off today, I didn’t (get got gets) up early. I made a big breakfast, and I (taked take took) a long shower. Then, my friends and I (went were go) to the beach. Before I went to the beach, I was （happy enormous energetic) , but now I’m tired. Why (was am do) I tired ? Because we (play playing played) volleyball all afternoon. So now I’m (rest rested resting). On my day off, I usually go to bed at 11:30 P.M.,but I (has am have) to go to work (next week tomorrow yesdertay) , so I’m (going want have) to go to bed early.
SIDE BY SIDE Book2
Name :_________ Grade :_________ School:_________ Scores :_________ CHOOSE Example： I’ve ____ to work all day this Saturday. a. must b. have c. got d. going 1. My brother Marty plays the piano_____ . a. more terrible b. terribly c. the most terrible d. very bad 2. Susan ______ when the lights went out. a. reads b. read c. is reading d. was reading 3. ______ sewing at five o’clock. a. I’ll be b. I’m going to c. I might d. I was 4. If Sam eat his dinner, he _____ be hungry later. a. could b. doesn’t c. won’t d. should 5. My children and I enjoyed _____ at the beach. a. themselves b. ourselves c. theirselves d. myself 6. I don’t think there’s ____ who can drive me to school. a. somebody b. something c. anybody d. someone 7. If you speak too _____ ,no one will be able to understand you. a. fast b. faster c. fastly d. longly 8. Grandpa ______ go to the picnic because he was too tired. a. can’t b. couldn’t c. shouldn’t d. had to 9. My doctor says I should eat ____ spicy food. a. fewer b. a few c. less d. many 10. The electrician’s prices are usually very_____. a. reasonably b. more reasonable c. most reasonable d. reasonable 11. My niece hurt her leg while she_____ tennis. a. played b. plays c. was playing d. will be playing 12.Barry___stop eating fatty foods because he’s a little heavy. a. going to b. must c. doesn’t have to d. mustn’t 13.I think you should try to drive _____. a. more carefully b. more careful c. too carefully d. carefuller 14. Marvin _____go to work because he was sick. a. had to b. wanted to c. could d. wasn’t able 15. My husband will _____ talking on the phone for a while. a. is b. going to be c. be d. might be 16. That isn’t his cell phone. It’s _______ . a. my b.mine c. him d. me 17. My brother and I walk _____ the park every day. a. down b. up c. through d. at
18. Can you do your homework by _____? a. myself b. yourselves c. ourselves d. yourself 19.He ____to speak English perfectly. a. will be able b. might c. should d. was able to 20. If you want to keep this job, you ____ get to work on time. a. mustn’t b. shouldn’t c. don’t have to d. have to 21. How much longer _____ chatting online. a. will be he b. will he be c. he will be d. is he be 22. I won’t go to college _______ four more years. a. until b. at c. for d. from 23. While he was playing basketball,______ to rain. a. it’s starting b. it started c. it starts c. it’ll be starting 24. If it __ snow, my grandmother will take a walk today. a. will b. won’t c. doesn’t d. will not 25. _____ you tell me how to get to the post office.? a. could b. Should c. Must d. Do 26.I have to lose weight. My doctor says I ____eat fatty foods. a. should b. mustn’t c. have to d. want to 27. We won’t be at the game _____ six thirty. a. for b. in c. until d. to 28. Do you know ____ good electricians? a. any b. anybody c. anyone d. someone 29. When I was a teenager, I never ____ TV. a. was watching b. will watch c. watch d. watched 30. Mario ____ when the phone rang. a. was vacuuming b. vacuumed c. vacuums d. was vacuumed 31. I have to eat ____ spicy food. a. a few b. fewer c. less d. much 32. The nurse _____ my blood pressure. a. did b. had c. stood d. took 33. If he ____ basketball too often, he might hurt his knees. a. practice b. practices c. practicing d. will be practicing 34. Is this wallet _____ ? a. you b. your c. yours d. yous 35.Get ____ the bus at First Street. a. off b. of c. for d. to 36. I’m sorry . We ___ be able to come to your party on Saturday. a. might b. can’t c. won’t d. must
37. My new computer wasn’t too ____. A. expensive b. expensively c. much expensive d. most expensive 38. How much longer ____ my mother be working? a. does b. are c. was d. will 39. You ____ speak impolitely to your boss. a. mustn’t b. don’t have to c. have to d. should 40. Mary can’t come to the meeting. She’s ___take her husband to the hospital. a. has to b. going c. will d. got to WHICH WORD? Jack is a very good plumber. He always ( helps helping helped ) people ( quick quickly fastly ) ,and he doesn’t charge them ( many much little ) money. Last week ( while who how ) Ethel ( will be is was ) washing the dishes , she saw something wrong with her sink . She called Jack, and he was there ( in for until) thirty minutes. ( Where While When ) he arrived, he ( was able had could ) to repair the sink very quickly. So, if you don’t know ( something anyone anything) about plumbing ,you ( shouldn’t couldn’t must ) try to fix a problem by ( youself yourself itself) .You should call Jack ,the plumber.