Unit1 Festivals around the world
1. beauty →beautiful →beautify 2. celebration → celebrate 3. starve → starvation 4. arrival → arrive 5. independence → independent ----
-depend--dependence---dependent 6. agriculture → agricultural 7. admire → admiration → admiring → admired 8. energetic → energy 9. custom → customer 10. permission → permit 11. apologize → apology
12. drown vi.&vt. → drowned → drowning 13. origin---original 14. religious----religion 15.forgive----forgiveness 16. hunter----hunt 17.belief---believe 18.poet----poem 19.award----reward 20.fool----foolish 21.necessity----necessary 22.announcer----announce
beauty harvest celebration hunter starve origin religious seasonal ancestor grave feast bone belief trick poem poet arrival gain independence independent gather agriculture award produce rooster admire energetic lunar Easter parade clothing Christian blossom cherry blossom custom worldwide fool necessity permission prediction fashion drown apologize drown sadness obvious wipe weave herd weep announcer remind forgive take place/ in memory of/ play a trick on /look forward to/day and night/as though/ have fun with/ parking lot /turn up/ keep one’s word /hold one’s breath /the Milky Way/set off/remind…of/
1. take place, happen (to), break out, come about (1) The basketball match didn’t ____________ take place on time because of the bad weather. took place in (2) The Asian Games of 2010 ____________ Guangzhou. (3) No matter what __________, happens I will accompany you all the time. broke out I was in a supermarket. (4) When the big fire __________, (5) At that time I __________ happened to have no money with me, so I couldn’t help him. came about ？ (6) Do you know how the accident ___________
3. turn up/ into/ over/ out/ to/ down/ on/ off (1) I waited for him for the whole afternoon, only to find turn up that he didn’t _________. (2) John’s description ___________ turned out to be wrong in the end. (3) In a flash of light, the prince ___________ turned into a frog. (4) Sometimes we may feel helpless, because we don’t turn to know who to __________ when we’re in trouble. (5) Don’t forget to _________ turn off the tap when you leave. (6) Chris proposed to Jerry last night, but she ______ turned him _______. down
4. set off，set out，set up，set about, set down (1) He has already fixed on a day to ___ ______ set off for the capital. (2) They set _____a off debate about the problem. set up near our (3) A new subway will be _______ school. off set the bomb ______ (4) The terrorists often ______ among the crowd. set out to (5) Finally he has achieved what he ________ do three years ago.
1. 很明显他正在尽力屏息。/很明显他与朋友们玩得很开 心。 2.那部电影让我想起了我的童年。 3.没有我的允许，任何人不得进入这个房间。 4.他因为不守信用向我道歉。 5.最近几年，我的家乡发生了巨大的变化。 校运动会将于下周举行。 6.这位诗人写了首诗纪念那位英雄。 7.他承诺要来的，但到目前为止他还没有出现。 8.我们一直期待的那一天终于到来了。 9.我早一点动身去公司是为了避开拥挤的交通。 10.你一到学校就可以给我打电话。 11. 我们本来打算明天去那儿。错过这趟火车意味着再等 两个小时。
1. It was obvious that he was trying to hold his breath. It was obvious that he had fun with his friends. 2.The film reminded me of my childhood. 3.Nobody can get into the room without my permission. 4.He apologized to me for (his) not keeping his word. 5.Great changes have taken place in my hometown in/over/during the last/past few years. The school sports meeting will take place next week. 6.The poet wrote a poem in memory/honor of the hero. 7.He promised to come but he hasn’t turned up yet. 8.The day we have been looking forward to came at last. 9.I set off for the company earlier in order to avoid the heavy traffic. 10.On your arrival at school, you can call me up. 11. We mean to go there tomorrow. Missing the train means waiting for another two hours.
1.Festivals and celebrations of _________( all kinds 各种各样的) have been held (被举行)everywhere since ancient times. ___________ if food was difficult to find 2. At that time people would starve ______________________ (如果食物很难找到) are held to honor the dead 被举行目的是 3. Some festivals _________________________( or to satisfy the ancestors 纪念死者)_________________________( 或者是使祖先满足), who______( might 可能) return either to help or to do harm. 4. The most energetic and important festivals are the ones that look forward to the end of winter and to the coming of spring ____________________________________________________ (那些期待冬天的结束和春天的到来的节日) 5. The country , covered ___________( with 覆盖着) cherry tree flowers, looks as though it is covered with pink snow _________________________________________( 看起来好像是 覆盖了一层粉红色的雪) 6. Some Western countries have very exciting canivals , place which take ___________( 举行) forty days before Easter. can 7. Festivals ______( 可能)also be held to honor famous people.
定语从句 1.Some festival are held to honor the dead, or to satisfy and who the ancestors, ________ might return either to help or to do harm. 2.India has a national festival on October 2 to honor who Mahatma Gandhi, the leader________helped gain India’s independence from Britain. 3.The most energetic and important festivals are the ones ______look forward to the end of winter and to the that coming of spring. when they can dress up 4. It is now a children’s festival, ______ and go to their neighbors’ home to ask for sweets. 5. China and Japan have mid-autumn festivals, ______ when people admire the moon and in China, enjoy mooncakes. 6. Some Western countries have very exciting canivals , which ______ take place forty days before Easter.
情态动词 1.Festivals can also be held to honor famous people. 2.Harvest and Thanksgiving festivals can be very happy events. 3.If the neighbors don’t give any sweets, the children might play a trick on them. 4.Some festival are held to honor the dead, or to satisfy the ancestors, who might return either to help or to do harm.
1.Festivals and celebrations of all kinds have been held everywhere since ancient times. 2. At that time people would starve if food was difficult to find. 3. Some festival are held to honor the dead, or to satisfy the ancestors, who might return either to help or to do harm. 4. The most energetic and important festivals are the ones that look forward to the end of winter and to the coming of spring. 5. The country , covered with cherry tree flowers, looks as though it is covered with pink snow. 6. Some Western countries have very exciting canivals , which take place forty days before Easter. 7. Festivals can also be held to honor famous people.
5. … because they think that this will lead the ancestors back to earth. 带领某人通往/到…… lead sb. to + n. ____________________ 使……做…… lead sb to do sth. ___________________ 引领，通向；导致，招致 lead to + n. ________________________ e.g. 1) This street________________________. leads you to the station 你沿这条街走就可以到达车站。 2) What ______________________it? led you to believe 什么使你相信它？ All roads lead to Rome 3)____________________________. 条条大路通罗马（殊途同归） Hard work leads to success, 4)____________________________ ______________________________. while laziness leads to failure 勤奋就能成功，而懒惰导致失败。