My First Ride on a Train
bicycle taxi train
ferry plane tram
helicopter motorbike bus
vehicle [C] traffic [U]
/>Please answer these questions in part 2
1.which of the vehicles in activity 1 travel on roads? bike, bus, motorbike, taxi, car 2. which of them travel on rails? train, tram 3. which of them travel on water? ferry, boat 4. which of them travel in the air? plane, helicopter 5. which of then can you use to travel a long distance? bus, car, train, boat, plane, helicopter...
get on (off) Bus\train\tram\bike\motorbike
get into (out of ) ride drive
Taxi/helicopter Bike/motorbike Train/taxi/bus Plane/helicopter
take off ( land)
Describe the first time you traveled a long distance
Example: I first traveled a long distance by train when I was six years old. I went with my parents from Shanghai to Beijing. It took us about 12 hours and it was wonderful, I like this kind of travel very much!
Pay attention to:
Who , when, where, what, why& how
澳大利亚联邦（The Commonwealth of Australia）
by air by sea
Map of Australia
The national flag of Australia
The Commonwealth of Australia
The Capital of Australia
What do these words mean?
abandoned: camels: cassette: clouds: clolourful: diamonds: desert: distance: experts: famous: farms: fields: food: government: law: meal: midnight: passenagers: products: recently: sand: scenery: shine: shoot: soil: supply: weather:
1. An area of it is always dry--- desert 2. Valuable stones--- diamonds 3. People who travel on a train, bus or plane-- passengers 4. You find this on beaches--- sand 5. White or grey things made of water in the sky--- clouds 6. Where plants grow--- soil
Where do you think most of the people live, in the central part of the country or on the coast? 特殊疑问词 + do you think + 陈述句结构 How many books do you think there are in our school library? Where do you think they should go? (1)不能用yes或no来回答这样的特殊疑问
I think they’d better go to Shanghai。
Where do you think they should go?你认
为他们该去哪儿? (Where不是该句主语) Who do you believe is right?你认为谁对? (Who是该句主语)
believe, suppose, imagine, guess, say, consider, suggest等。 When do you suppose he’ll be back?
Translate the following sentences into English:
How old do you think he is? 2.你猜我们的语文老师在干什么? What do you guess our Chinese teacher is doing? 3.你认为谁在踢足球? Who do you think are playing football?
I haven’t heard from Henry for a long time. What do you suppose ____ to him? A. was happening B. to happen C. has happened D. had happened
______ be sent to work there? (02SH) A. Who do you suggest B. Who do you suggest that should C. Do you suggest who should D. Do you suggest whom should
do you suggest是插入短语，剩下的句子就是 一个特殊疑问句，一般的说法就是Who should be sent to work there? 主语就是疑问 代词who,不用再加that, 另外suggest引导的宾 语从句,从句用虚拟语气,谓语动词用should + 动词原形, should 可以省略.
My First Ride on a Train
1.It was the first time that Alice had her ride on a long-distance train. 2.Alice Springs is in the east of Australia. 3.The train is called the Ghan because of horses from Afghanistan. 4.The train was comfortable, but the food cooked by experts was bad. 5.In the 1920s, people used camels to carry food and other supplies. 6.Alice talked to other passengers, read books, listened to music and so on.
Try to find out the main idea or topic sentence of each paragraph. Para 1: I had my first ride on a long-distance train Para 2: The scenery along the railway Para 3: How did I spend the time in the train? Para 4: Why is the train called Ghan? Para 5: Things about the camels Para 6: The fate of the camels nowadays
1. Did Alice travel on the train a long time ago? 2. Was her destination on the coast of Australia? 3. Was the scenery the same during the whole journey? 4. Did she study while she was on the train? 5. Did the Australians use horses to travel to the central part of the country? 6. Do they still use camels to deliver goods?
1.Did Alice travel on the train a long time ago?
No . She travelled on the train recently.
2.Was her destination on the coast of Australia? No, it was Alice Springs in the central part of Australia. 3.Was the scenery the same during the whole journey? No, at the first there were fields , then it was desert.
4. Did she study while she was on the train?
Yes, she studied Chinese.
5. Did the Australians use horses to travel to the central part of the country?
Yes , at first , but the horses didn’t like the hot weather.
6. Do they still use camels to deliver goods?
No, they use the train now.
Fill in the blanks with proper words
Read the first paragraph:
Alice, an 18-year-old __________ girl, comes from Sydney, Australia. ___________ Recently, together ___________ with a friend she had long- distance train. her first ride ____ on a ____________ They spent two days and nights on the famous Ghan train. _______
Read the second paragraph:
The meals cooked ______ by experts were scenery was very great and the _______ ________. colourful They first saw fields with ____ dark red soil, and then the desert _____. There were even some abandoned _________ farms built ____ more than a hundred years ago.
Read the third paragraph:
sat by the window, During the day, she ___ looking out of it, reading books or ____________ _______ to some cassettes. At _______, listening night she watched the stars ______ shining like diamonds.
Read the last three paragraphs:
The reason _____the train is called why trained camels from the Ghan is that ______ Afghanistan ____ used to carry were once _______ In the 1920s food and other supplies. ___________, a new railway line was built and the any more camels weren’t _______needed _________.
1. My first ride on the train. ride n. 骑马或乘车等旅行 v. ride—rode—ridden give sb. a ride 让某人搭车 1) Let’s go for a ride in a car. 2) Can I have/take a ride on your bike? 3) What a (wonderful) ride (it is) ! =How wonderful the ride is! ride a bicycle / horse / motorbike
2. Recently I had my first ride on a long-distance train. recently 常用于过去时或现在完成时 1) He has been ill until recently. 2) The accident happened quite recently. 3) I haven’t seen her recently. recent a. 近来的（不指未来） the recent period in Chinese history The way of life has changed greatly in recent years.
3. We ate great meals cooked by experts! （过去分词短语做后置定语） …方面的专家 be expert in/at/on … adj. be an expert on/in n. 比尔盖茨是个电脑高手。
Bill Gates is an expert in computer. Have you finished the exercises given by Ms Li? The boy standing there is my brother.
1. Do you know the woman (who is) talking to Tom? 2. Who are those people waiting outside? 3. There were some children (who were) swimming in the river. 4. I didn’t talk to the man (who is) sitting next to me. 5.The boy injured (=who was injured) in the accident was taken to hospital.
6.Some of the people invited (=who was invited) to the party can’t come. 7.Most of the goods made (=which are made) in the factory are exported. 8. The window broken in the storm has now been repaired. 9. Have you finished the exercises given by Mr. Li? 10.The teacher is a very enthusiastic woman called Mrs. Shen.
by my mother is very The food cooked __________________ nice. 2.我们住在去年建的楼里。 We live in a building built ____________. last year Most of the artists _________ to the A party were from South Africa. A. invited B. to invite C. being invited D. had been invited
4. For the first hundred kilometers of the journey, the scenery was very colorful. scenery un. （自然风景/景色） 1) Have you seen the scenery of the Alps? 2) The scenery is beautiful around here. scene cn.（某一特定环境呈现的）景色
1) The old man running after the dog made a very amusing scene. 2) There were distressing scenes when the earthquake occurred.
5. Camels were much better than horses for travelling a long distance.
1) much, even, far, some, any, still, a lot, a little, a great deal 2) a head taller three years older 3) one more chair two more weeks
If there were no exams, we should have ___ at school. A. the happiest time B. a more happier time C. much happiest time D. a much happier time
6. supply v. 提供，供给 supply sb with sth = supply sth to sb
1)They supplied the homeless children with food and clothing. 2) They supplied food and clothing to the homeless children.
All the rooms are ___ with electric light. A. supplied B. given C. offered D. burnt (99上海)
7. The Afghans and their camels did this until the 1920s/1920’s. (20世纪20年代) 在…世纪…年代（必须加the） in the 2000s/2000’s 在21世纪 in the 1960s/1960’s 在20世纪60年代
在某人十几/二十几/三十几……九十几岁 in one’s teens/twenties/thirties…nineties 当马克思五十几岁时，他发现研究俄国 形势很重要。 When Marx was in his fifties, he found it important to study the situation in Russia.
It is not rare in ___ that people in ___ sixties are going to university for further education. (99SH) A. 90s; the B. the 90’s; / C. 90’s; their D. the 90s; their
8. Then the government built a new railway line, so they didn’t need the camels any more.（不再…） no more = not …any more
no longer = not …any longer
Ever since then, such accident has no more appeared. They will not talk with each other any longer.
—Excuse me, is this Mr. Brown’s office? —I’m sorry, but he ____ D work here ____. He left about 3 weeks ago. A. not, now B. didn’t, no more C. doesn’t, any more D. doesn’t, any longer
9. allow/permit/forbid doing sth allow/permit/forbid sb to do sth
Look at the following: Which is wrong?
1)They don’t allow smoking in the room. 2)They don’t allow people to smoke in the reading room. 3) People are not allowed to smoke in... 4) Smoking is not allowed in the room. 5) They don’t allow to smoke in the room.
1. match 匹配,配套,相称；火柴；比赛 match…to/with…把…和…搭配起来
Do not say that one thing “matches to” or “matches with” another. Say that one thing matches another or that two things match.
match（大小/色调/形状/性质等）搭配 suit (颜色/款式/口味/性格/条件 /地位）适合 fit （大小/尺寸/号码/形状）吻合 meet 满足（条件或需要） satisfy 符合（要求）
His clothes don’t ______ match his age.
suit you? Does the time ______
fits her well. It is The new coat ______ neither too big nor too small. Which day _______ suits you, Saturday or Sunday?
—How about eight o’clock? ( 04) —That __ D me fine. A. fits B. meets C. satisfies D. suits
2. more than 比…多over [反] less than
非常 very；不仅仅 not only
more… than… 与其…不如…
no more than 都不;仅仅,只有only
not more than不如;至多,不超过 at most
no less than 多达 as many/much as
not less than 至少, 不少于at least
man we met just now is no more than a secretary. 仅仅
Laro is not more careful than you are.
are no more scientists than we are.
new book is not more expensive 不如… than the old one.
She is no more beautiful than Dongshi.
She is not more beautiful than Gongli.
Pan Changjiang is no taller than Wu Dalang. 都不
Liuxiang is not taller than Yaoming.
He is more brave than wise.
English Weekly is more than a newspaper, it helps us improve our English.
were more than glad to help.
3. means 方法；手段；工具（单复数同） a/every/one means + v.第三人称单数 many/all means + v. 复数 Every means has been tried but there’s no result. All means are not successful. means of transport mean to do mean doing meaning un./cn.
by this means 通过这种办法 = in this way/with this method by all means 当然；务必; 勿论如何 by any means用一切可能的方法或手段 by means of 使用；通过；借助于 They succeeded by means of patience and sacrifice. 他们靠耐心和牺牲而取得了成功。 by no means 绝不：一点也不 She is by no means poor: in fact, she's quite rich.
4. refer to
(1)I’m not referring to you. 指的是;指…而言 (2)There are a lot of references you can refer to. 查阅；参考 (3)Don’t refer to the matter again.
1.The girl referred to ______ well.
A. singing B. sing C. sings D. sang
2.The professor ____ at the meeting will give us a lecture next week. A. referred B. referred to C. referring D. referring to