Unit 4 Body language Warming up
if you're happy and you know it clap your hands if you're happy and you know it clap your hands if you're happy and you know it never b
e afraid to show it if you're happy and you know it clap your hands if you're happy and you know it stomp your feet if you're happy and you know it stomp your feet if you're happy and you know it never be afraid to show it if you're happy and you know it stomp your feet if you're happy and you know it wink your eye if you're happy and you know it wink your eye if you're happy and you know it never be afriad to show it if you're happy and you know it wink your eye
Ways of communicating
Spoken language speaking ringing
Thousands of Hands Kwan-yin
What is body language?
Body language is one form of communication without using any words.
Such as eye contact, facial expression, gesture, posture and other non-verbal signals.
Look at the pictures. How are they feeling?
looking down upon sb.
Oh, I give in
I am so happy
kiss your hand to sb.
surprise anger fear joy sadness disgust contempt 厌恶 轻视
Let’s look at the following gestures.
Victory / peace
I love you!
Please call me!
Scan the text and answer the following questions. ?How many international students are there in the story?
?Who are they and where they come from?
? Who are they and where do they come from?
? Tony Garcia Columbia Britain Japan Canada Jordan
? Julia Smith
? Akira Nagata
? George Cook
? Ahmed Aziz ?Darlene Coulon
While reading, please try to divide the whole passage into four parts and match the main idea. Part 1. Examples of cultural “body (para. 1) language”. Part 2 Different people have different (para. 2 &3 ) body languages. Part 3. Summary of body language. (para. 4 ) The author was sent to Capital Part 4. International Airport to meet this (para. 5)
year’s international students.
Detailed reading : Para1
yesterday When: __________________________ Who: ______________________________ another student and I, ______________________________________ this year’s international students Where: the _______________________________ Capital International Airport We would take them first to What to do: ____________________________ their dormitories and then to the _______________________________________ _______________________________________ student canteen.
Find out the two cultural mistakes in Para2 Tony Garcia The first mistake (Columbia )
Read it aloud by yourself.
He approached Julia, ________ touched her _________and shoulder kissed her _____ _______ cheek on the ________. She ______ stepped ________ back surprised and put appearing _________ in defence up her hands, as if ___ _______. He ________ reached his hand ________ to the Japanese out student.
Julia Smith (Britain) George Cook The second mistake (Canada) Akira Nagata
bowed so his nose He ________ touched ________George’s _______ moving ________. hand
1.How do men from Muslim countries greet others ? To men: stand close, and shake hands To women: nodding 2. Is the author male or female? How do you know? Male. Because Ahmed Aziz only shakes
hands with men.
3. How did Tony and Darlene greet each other? They shook hands and then kissed each other twice on each cheek, and this is the French custom when adults meet people they know.
Fill in the table according to Para4: People in the country/area English people
Read it together.
Ways to greet each other
Do not stand very _________to close others or touch ________ strangers when they meet.
People from Spain, Italy _________others closely and Approach and South American touch them are more likely to__________. countries Japanese Most people around the world
Read it silently.
True or false?
1. Body language inis some countries is None of these actions either goodor while good bad. some in others is bad. 2. all All members of a culture behave in Not the same way. 3. Learning English well can certainly Studying international customs help avoid difficulties in today’s world of cultural crossroads.
Write a summary about 30 words.
Body is different / varies from ______language ______________ culture to ________. culture Not all ________of members behave same way. all cultures ________in the ______ We should try to understand and__________ respect each other’s culture in order to make communication good _____________.
1. Read the passage again and again. 2. Find out the language points in this part.
True or false?
1. Mr. Garcia kissed Miss Julia Smith because they have known each other well. F 2. George Cook reaches his hand out in order to shake hands with the Japanese. T 3. All cultures don’t greet each the same way. T
4. When a Japanese bows to you, he
is apologizing to you for what he
has done. F 5. French people, like the English, will keep a certain distance from others.
7. From the passage we can see
western cultures are better than
eastern cultures. F
8. It’s necessary to study body
language because it helps us to get better understanding among people from different cultures. T
Choose the best answer.
1. What did the writer go to the Capital International Airport for yesterday? B A. To see off his friend. B. To meet international students. C. To buy a flight ticket. D. To meet some visitors coming from several countries.
2. Where is Tony Garcia from? C A. Britain. B. Japan. C. Colombia. D. Canada. 3. From Paragraph 2 we know that A when they Japanese prefer to ____ are introduced to others. A. bow B. shake hands C. kiss each other D. touch others’ shoulders
4. According to the text, men from the Middle East often ____. D A. nod heads and wave hands to girls B. touch others’ heads when they first meet C. kiss each other twice on each cheek when they are introduced to others D. stand quite close to other men when they talk