Unit 5 Nelson Mandela – a modern hero
Words about qualities
hard-working cruel friendly reliable mean determined generous devoted hones
t 努力的 lazy 懒惰的 残忍的 selfish 自私的 友好的 stubborn 固执的 可靠的, 可信赖的 吝啬的, 小气的 有决心的, 坚定的 慷慨的, 大方的 忠实的, 深爱的 诚实的, 忠实地
easy-going 容易相处的 frank 直率的, 真诚的 brave 勇敢的 kind 友好的
active 主动的, 活跃的 strong-willed 意志坚强的 intelligent 理解力强的 warm-hearted 热心的 confident 有信心的
willing to help 助人的 unselfish 无私的
Divide the words into two groups.
hard-working, lazy, friendly, cruel, warm-hearted, mean, determined, wise, active, generous, easy-going, reliable, unkind, brave, selfish, stubborn,
selfless, devoted, handsome, honest,
Words for good qualities: hard-working, friendly, warm-hearted determined, wise, active, generous easy-going, reliable, brave, selfless devoted, handsome, honest, famous, calm Words for bad qualities: lazy, cruel, mean, unkind, selfish, stubborn
Choose a proper word and fill in the blank. handsome, lazy, cruel, brave , honest, warm-hearted 1. Harry Potter beat the evil dragon (恶龙), so he is very ___________. brave
2. Lei Feng is ready to help others, so he
is a ______________ person. warm-hearted
3. Jay Zhou is a _________ pop singer, handsome he is popular with many young girls.
4. Sun Wukong is ______, he never honest tells lies, so many people like him very much.
5. Zhu Bajie is a key character (角色) in The West Journey, he is lovely but very lazy _____ in the novel.
5. German Nazis were very cruel they _____, killed millions of Jews during World War II.
What qualities does a great person have?
Do public service work without pay
Be active in society activities Never lose heart
Get on well with others
A great person
kind honest confident unselfish
Make great energetic contributions passionate to mankind
Are these famous people also great people?
William Tyndale (1494-1536) He wrote the Bible in ________ so all could read English ideas it. He died for his ______ but his work is still used in the _______ Bible today. official
He fought against _________ German Nazis and __________ invaders Japanese during World War II. He worked selflessly in China as _________ and saved many a doctor Chinese soldiers.
Sun Yat-sen He founded the first Republic in China in 1911 after many years’ fighting; he strongly believed in the three principles: nationalism; people’s rights; people’s livelihood
He gave up a rich
life for his ideas
and fought for his
country to be free
from the UK in a
He fought for the black people and was in prison for thirty years. He helped the black people to get the same
rights as white people.
Nelson Mandela was elected the first black President in South Africa in 1994.
For the first time ever, South African’s all races are citizens. The vote came on April 26, 1994.
The victory celebration was the sweet one for Nelson Mandela. Just day’s later, the Africans government of F. W. de Klerk
handed the rings over to victorious African
Neil Armstrong (1930He was the first man to _____ land on the _______ in ______. He moon 1969 said, “that’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for __________.” mankind
Neil Armstrong is an important person and the others are great person.
Great person: Has a great idea; always helps others; unselfishly; gives up something to achieve his/her goal, etc. Important person: Plays an important role in some field, organization or great events.
A great man is one who has followed his or her ideas and sacrificed something so that they could be realized.
A famous person may be well-known but
if he or she has not gone through struggles
and difficulties for their noble aims, they
can not be called a great person.
1. quality n. 质量, 品质
Quality matters more than
The quality of the service in this
restaurant is very good.
1) Q______ is more important than uality quantity.
2) He has all the q________ of a ualities
successful businessman. 3) One q_______ of wood is that it can uality burn.
be of good / high / bad / poor quality The price depends on the quality. He has many fine qualities. Kindness is a human quality which everyone admires. 仁慈是谁都称赞的人类品质。 qualified adj. 有资格的, 有经验的 quantity n. 数量 a large /small quantity of large /great quantities of
For study, _______ is more C
important than _______.
A. quality; kind
B. quantity; hardship
C. quality; quantity
D. quantity; quality
2. mean adj. 卑鄙的; 吝啬的, 小气的 It was mean of him not to give the waiter a tip. She apologized for being mean to me. means n. 手段, 方法 mean vt. 意指, 意味着, 意思是 meaning n. 意思, 意义, 含义 mean to do sth. 打算做某事 mean doing sth. 意味着 I’m sorry I hurt you. I didn’t mean to. Missing the bus means waiting for an hour.
be meant to do sth 注定/意欲做某事
be meant for 为……而存在/准备
The guidebook is meant to give you a
general idea of the city.
The chair was clearly meant for a child.
What do you mean by (doing) sth?
What do you mean by your silence?
3. active 积极的, 活跃的 He is an active member of the soccer club. 他是足球俱乐部的一名活跃分子。 take an active part in 积极参加 be active in 在……方面很积极 4. generous adj. 慷慨的, 大方的 be generous to do sth 做某事很慷慨, 大方 be generous with 对……慷慨, 大方
5. devote vt devote＋名 ＋to(to 是介词) 奉献 (人生, 时间, 劳力等)于……，把……致力于，专用于 He devoted his life to promoting world peace. He devoted his life to the promotion of world peace. devoted adj 忠实的, 深爱的 be devoted to 对…忠实, 对…深爱 a devoted friend She is devoted to her husband.
6. He died for his ideas but his work is still used in the official Bible today. 他为了自己的思想而献身, 但他的成果 后来应用于《圣经》。 die for 为……而死 They died for the people; their death is weightier than Mount Taishan. be dying for 渴望 I am dying for a cup of water.
be dying to do 很想做, 渴望做 She is dying to see you. be dying to go abroad die of 死于疾病和内在的情绪, 强调内因; die from 死于灾难、伤害、事故等, 强调外 因。 Princess Diana died from a car accident in 1997. 戴安娜王妃在1997年死于车祸。
7. He fought against the German Nazis and Japanese invaders during World War II. 二战时期他抵抗德国纳粹和 日本侵略者。 fight for 为……而战 fight against 与……作斗争 fight with 同并肩作战; 与……战斗 We will have to fight against difficulties. They told the workers to fight for their right.
I’ll fight with you, in other words, I’ll
Slaves were fighting for freedom.
The police were called in to stop the fight.
1) England fought ___ France _____ C
Germany in that war.
A. with; for
C. with; against
B. against; against
D. for; with
2) Gandhi gave up a rich life and fought
____ his country and his men. C A. against B. with C. for D. to
8. work as … 从事… …工作
Mandela used to work as a lawyer and
helped many poor black people.
很多贫穷的黑人。 act as 担任, 充当
9. He founded the first Republic in China in 1911 after many years’ fighting. 经过多年斗争他于1911在中国创建了 第一个共和国。 found (founded, founded) 建立, 创建 find (found, found) 找到 The hospital was founded in 1920.
Have you found your missing pen?
be founded on/upon 建立在……基础上， 以……为基础 The story is founded on/upon facts.
10. He strongly believed in the three
principles: nationalism; people’s
rights; people’s livelihood.
他坚信三条原则: 民族, 民权, 民生。 believe in 信任, 信仰
Do you believe in God? We believe in our government. believe sb. = believe what sb. says 相信某人的话
believe in sb. 信任某人
He believe what he said because I believe in him.
11. He gave up a rich life for his ideas and
fought for his country to be free from
the UK in a peaceful way.
give up 表示主动放弃或屈服
He has decided to give up smoking.
give in 表示被动屈服或认输, 后面 不带宾语 You can’t win the game, so you may as well give in. free from 摆脱(不好的东西)的, 无……的 free…from 使……摆脱, 免除 a sentence free from mistakes They freed the birds from the cages. Keep the children free from harm.
12. He fought for the black people and was in prison for thirty years. 他为黑人而战且坐过三十年监狱。 be in prison 在狱中, 被监禁 He has been in prison for five years. put…in prison = send…to prison = throw …into prison 把……投入监狱 The car thieves have been put in prison. He was sent to prison for ten years.
be out of prison 出狱 go to prison 入狱 escape from prison 越狱 注意: 零冠词现象，常用于prison, school, hospital, church, college前: go to school/ hospital/college He had been in prison for 5 years and was out of prison last week. → He was put in prison 5 years ago. John was thrown into prison for breaking the law.
1.Mandela devoted all his life ____ the dream C
of making black people and white people equal.
A. to achieve
C. achieve this week? A. come as C. work like
B. to achieving
2. Andrew, can you ____ our photographer D B. look like D. act as
living quality 1. The ____________ (生活质量) was very
terrible when Mandela and Elias were
in Robben Island---a prison. took an active part in 2. Mandela ___________________(积极参加)
activities of helping black people to get freedom. good qualities 3. He has many _____________(好品质) and honesty is his ____________(最好的品质). best quality
4. 他是学生会里的一名活跃分子。 He is an active member in the Students’ Union. 5. 他是一个很勤奋的人, 他把所有的时间 和精力都投入到学习和工作当中。 He is a hard-working person and he devotes all his time and energy to his work and studies.
Let’s enjoy a beautiful song.
Ther's a place in your heart
And I know that it is love
And this place could be much brighter
than tomorrow And if you really try
You'll find there's no need to cry
In this place you'll feel
there's no hurt or sorrow
There are ways to get there If you care enough for the living Make a little space Make a better place... Heal the world Make it a better place
For you and for me and the entire human race
There are people dying
If you care enough for the living
Make a better place for you and for me
If you want to know why
There's a love that cannot lie
Love is strong It only cares of joyful giving If we try We shall see In this bliss We cannot feel fear or dread We stop existing and start living Then it feels that always Love's enough for us growing So make a better world Make a better world... Heal the world Make it a better place For you and for me and the entire human race ……
1. Surf the internet or read
books to find some information
about Nelson Mandela.
2. Preview Elia’s Story.