Lesson 1 A Perfect Day?
1.Master some reading skills through reading. 2.Master the important words and expressions. 3.Di
scuss the two different lifestyles.
1. Do you ever watch too much TV?
2. How much time do you spend watching
TV every day?
3. How do you feel after watching TV a long
What does a couch potato refer to? A couch potato is someone who watches
lots (some would say too much!) of
的变种, 而是现代社会里的产物, 指浪
A person who works very hard and finds it difficult to stop working and do other things.
He is a workaholic.
醉心于 工作的人 工作狂
What kind of lifestyles do you think the men in the pictures have?
boring, busy, dangerous, active, easy, lazy, exciting, free, interesting, peaceful, relaxing, stressful
Read the two texts quickly and:
1. Find out the TV programmes that Brian usually watches. the children’s programmes, news, old movies, TV series, sports, play
2. Find out the kinds of work Bob does every day. meetings and phone calls, urgent
matters, do his own paperwork and
answer some personal e-mails, look
at documents at home, be ready for
the next day’s work
Answer these questions according
to the text (P8).
1. Is Brian a lazy person? Can you find two examples of his lazy behavior? Yes, Brian is lazy. For example, he
watches the children’s programs
until about half-past ten. Then gets
up. He doesn’t work but his wife
works and she makes his meals.
2. What do you think “You’ve got the
world at your feet” means?
It is used in a humorous way. It
means this person feels he has a
successful life because he can watch
anything he likes on TV.
3. How does Bob spend his morning and evening? Bob’s morning is very busy with very little time to get dressed and have breakfast and he has all kinds of urgent matters. His evening is not easy, either. He has documents to read and never gets to sleep until mid-night.
4. Why does Bob’s family complain? Because he seldom has time for fun and other activities with his
5. Why does Bob work so hard?
He wants to make more money.
Besides, he gets bored if there is
nothing to do. He likes being busy.
What do you want to say to Brian and Bob?
You may need more time to enjoy your life with your family.
You are too lazy! Your life is too boring only at home. You should go out for work and do some exercise.
Which lifestyle do you prefer?
Which one is healthier?
Lesson 1 A Perfect Day?
Use the following phrasal verbs in the correct form to complete the sentences below.
switch on, switch off, switch over, take up, fill with, complain about, bring back 1. As the mother of four children, my days are _________ filled with coking and cleaning!
2. Doing research and writing reports
______ take up a large part of my day. 3. I don’t enjoy watching TV with my brother as he always ____________ switches over to
the programmes that he wants to watch.
4. Please switch ________ off the TV when you go to bed.
5. Switch ________ on the light. It’s really dark in here! 6. I try to do the homework that I __________ bring back from school as soon as I get home.
7. Mona is never happy. Listen, she’s
now ________________ complaining about her lunch!
When I get home at about ten, I look at 时间状语从句 some documents that I bring back 定语从句 from the office so that I can be ready for the next day’s work. 目的状语从句 晚上10点我才能到家。到家后还要浏览 带回的文件，为第二天的工作做准备。
Check in Class 达标测评
报纸第一期A4版 Lesson1 随堂练习
I. 1. lifestyle 2. midnight 3. relaxing 4. remote
Unit 1 Lesson 1 随堂练习
5. urgent 6. document 7. peaceful 8. portable
II. A. 1. woke up 2. bring back 3. complain about 4. switch on
B. 1. for 3. with 5. to 7. on
2. over 4. in 6. for 8. for
III. 1. go downstairs do some exercise 3. as soon as I get home 4. less than five minutes 5. were filled with
Check in Class 达标测评
go to gym
go for a walk
1. Then I get up, go downstairs and switch on the TV in the living room. 然后起床，下楼，打开起居室的电视。 switch on = turn on接通, 打开(电器) e.g. First you should switch the machine on. 首先你要接通机器电源。
switch off = turn off 切断(电流等) e.g. He switched it off because he didn’t like the television programmes. 他把电视关了, 因为他不喜欢那些电 视节目。 switch over 交换位置, 转换 e.g. You drive first and then we can switch over. 你先开车, 然后我们换着开。
2. Meetings and phone calls take up a large part of the day. 整天会议、电话不断。 take up 占据（时间、空间） e.g. This table takes up too much room. 这个桌子太占地方。 Her time is fully taken up with writing. 她的时间都用来写作了。
take up还可以表示: 开始学习某项课程;
向…...提出; 开始做某项工作; 拿起武器;
e.g. A few years later I dropped medicine and took up physics. 几年以后我放弃了医学, 开始学习物 理。
He said he would take up my
difficulties with the headmaster.
When can you take up your duties, Doctor
She took me up suddenly when I suggested that the job be only suitable for a man. 我提出那工作只适合男人做, 她突然 不容分说地把我打断了。 He called on the people to take up arms to defend their freedom. 他号召人民拿起武器保卫自由。
take 常用短语 take off 起飞, 脱掉, 成功, 去除, 拿走 take over 接收, 接管, 借用, 承袭 take on 承担, 呈现, 从事, 开始雇用 take out 取出, 去除, 出发, 发泄; 开始 take care 当心, 注意 take care of 照顾, 照料 take place 发生 take part in 参加 take it easy 别紧张, 放松
3. Every minute of the day is filled with urgent matters. 一天中几乎每一分钟都充斥着急待处 理的事情。 fill vt./vi 使充满；注入 e.g. Flowers filled the garden. 花园里开满鲜花。 be filled with 充满 e.g. Her eyes are filled with tears. 她眼里满含泪水。
be filled with 侧重于动作和装的东西 be full of 侧重于状态 e.g. The basketball is filled with apples by the old man. This balloon is filled with air. The bottle is full of water. This room is full of people.
4. When I get home at about ten, I look 时间状语从句 at some documents that I bring back 定语从句 from the office so that I can be ready for the next day’s work. 目的状语从句 晚上10点我才能到家。到家后还要浏览 带回的文件，为第二天的工作做准备。
5. My family complains about it. 妻子和孩子们总是抱怨。 complain 抱怨, 投诉 e.g. She never complains, even though she has to do a lot of work. 她从没有抱怨过，即使有很多的 工作要做。 complain 常用结构: complain to sb. about sth. 对/向某人投诉或抱怨某事
complain of 申诉, 诉说……的痛苦 make a complaint to sb. about sth. = complain to sb. about sth. 向某人投诉某事 have / receive a complaint about sth. 收到关于某事的投诉 a letter of complaint 投诉信
e.g. The couple complained to the police about the noise from the neighborhood. 这对夫妻向警察投诉隔壁邻居的噪音。 The students here complain of being short of reading materials. 这里的学生抱怨缺乏阅读资料。
The pupils make a lot of complaints to the headmaster about the poor light in their classroom. 学生们因为教室光线暗的问题向校长 投诉很多次。 The restaurant received a letter of complaint about their food and service. 这家饭店收到一封投诉信，投诉他们 的饭菜和服务。
6. Besides, I get bored if there’s nothing to do. 而且，要是没事可做我会觉得非常无聊。 be /get bored厌倦, 厌烦 e.g. I’m getting bored and homesick. 我感到厌倦了, 有点想家。 I’m bored with the subject anyway. 不管怎么说我对这个题目有点烦。
1. I always take my portable TV and I sit on the stone wall while the dog walks round in a circle.
and后边是一个复合句，while the dog walks round in a circle是一个时间状语
2. I couldn’t live this lifestyle without a
点拨：句中的without a good wife 表
3. Thirty-six-year-old Bob Black is
sitting at his desk and working his
way through his paperwork.
点拨： (1) 这是一个简单句。本句的 主语是thirty-six-year-old Bob Black； sitting at his desk 和working his way through his paperwork是由and连接 的两个并列谓语动词。
(2) work one’s way through sth. 意为 “自始至终做（尤指耗费时间或 力量的事）”。 句意：36岁的鲍勃· 布莱克正坐在 写字台前忙着他的案头工作。
4. I get to bed around midnight when
my wife and children are already
一个定语从句。I get to bed around midnight 是主句，
when my wife and children are already asleep 是定语从句，修饰先行 词midnight。 句意：我一般半夜才上床睡觉。那时 妻子和孩子们都早已进入梦乡。
Match the sentences with the rules. Find more examples in the texts for each use.
1. For lunch, I have biscuits and a glass of milk. a) 2. I like the main news at six o’clock. b) The Present Simple tense describes: a) an activity that is repeated regularly. b) a present state, a feeling or opinion.
My brother likes playing computer games.
I play football twice a week.
They have no money but they are happy.
He speaks English very well.
Water boils at 100 centigrade.
What tense is used in the following sentences? Complete the rule.
1. Brian Blakey is sitting on his sofa. 2. Brian’s wife is working as a secretary.
The Present ___________ Continuous describes: a) an activity happening now. b) a present activity that happens regularly but only during a short period of time.
1. The phone is ringing. Please answer it. 2. Look! Your baby is smiling.
3. Listen! Somebody is singing in the
4. The woman is writing a novel these
Every few years, the coal workers B their lungs X-rayed to ensure ______ their health. A. are having C. have had B. have D. had had
Barbara is easy to recognize as she’s
the only one of the women who
________ evening dress. B
A. wear C. has worn B. wears D. have worn
--I'm not finished with my dinner yet.
--But our friends ______ for us. D A. will wait C. have waited B. wait D. are waiting
Planning so far ahead ______ C no sense — so many things will have changed by next year.
B. is making
D. has made
That piece of music sounds quite
familiar. Who _______ the piano D
A. has played C. plays B. played D. is playing
Look at the pride on Tom’s face. He ______ to have been praised by the B manager just now. A. seemed B. seems
C. had seemed
D. is seeming
Choose the best answers.
1. Reading and writing ______ A a large part of her free time, so she doesn’t have enough time to play. A. take up B. had taken up C. took up D. will take up
2. In the morning when the alarm clock ______, I will immediately get up in A order to get to school on time. A. goes off B. went off C. has gone off D. is going off 3. For breakfast, usually, he ______ C an egg and a glass of milk, doesn’t he?
A. had B. is having
D. will have
4. —How ______ A with your new classmates? —Quite well. I like them very much. A. are you getting along B. did you get along C. will you get along D. were you getting along
5. — Do you like the silk dress I sent you? — Yes, it ______ B very soft. A. is feeling C. has felt B. feels D. is felt
6. Listen to the two boys behind the door. What ______? C A. did they talk about B. were they talking about C. are they talking about D. will they talk about
7. Ladies and gentlemen, please turn off your cell phones. The plane
A. takes off B. is taking off
C. has taken off
D. took off
C 8. My father told me that time _____ for no man, so I always value every minute of study time. A. waited B. is waiting C. waits D. will wait
Keep a diary about your weekend.
Words about 100.