Book 5 Unit 4 Making the news
Discovering useful structures Inversion (倒装句)
By Jasmine From Wuhan High School
Barack Hussein Obama – 56th & 57th President of t
he United States
Never has there been a black president.
Abraham Lincoln – 16th President of the United States
John F. Kennedy – 35th President of the United States
What do Lincoln and Kennedy
have in common? Not only was Lincoln killed by a hitman, but also Kennedy was killed by a hitman.
Thinking about the two presidents’ deaths, so worried was Obama that he cried.
Who can help the poor president?
Here comes an excellent bodyguard called Sam.
Sam found that just among us hid a hitman.
You are curious to know who the hitman is, so am I.
Only with our help can Sam find out the hitman.
Observe these sentences and finish a chart.
1. Here comes an excellent bodyguard called Sam. 2. Among us hid a hitman. 3. Never has there been a black president. 4. Not only was Lincoln killed by a hitman, but also Kennedy was killed by a hitman. 5. Only with our help can Sam find out the hitman. 6. Thinking about the two presidents’ deaths, so worried was Obama that he cried. 7. You are curious to know who the hitman is, so am I.
2 types When should we use it?
★ Beginning with directional adverbs Full (here, there, up, down, in, out…) inversion ★Beginning with prep. expressions of position (among us， under the tree， on his head…) ★ Beginning with negative adverbs or adverbial expressions (no, never, Partial inversion hardly, little, seldom, in no way…) ★ Beginning with ‘only’ ★ Beginning with ‘so’
Message 1:1 The number on the Message paper is an 1 odd Task number. (such as 1, 3, 5, 7, 9…)
Find out how to change a natural sentence into an inverted sentence.
1. The rocket went up into the air. Up went the rocket into the air. 2. Some broken eggs lay on the ground. On the ground lay some broken eggs.
How to make full inversion? Put the whole predicate before the subject.
1. I have never seen him. Never have I seen him. 2. He is never late. Never is he late. 3. He can never stand. Never can he stand. 4. He knows little about this. Little does he know about this. 5. He knew little about this. Little did he know about this. 6. They know little about this. Little do they know about this.
How to make partial inversion?
1. has/have/be/can/must… + subject. 2. do/does/did + subject.
1 odd Message 1:1 The number on the Message paper is an Task number. (such as 1, 3, 5, 7, 9…)
Message 2: The hitman got a piece of green Message 2 Task 2 paper
Finish 3 practices.
Practice 1 rewrite the sentences
1. In I will no leave way will you I leave in no way. you. 2. I have never Never have I seen seen such such an an amazing amazing painting. painting. 3. I Seldom gowork to work by bus. seldomdo goI to by bus. 4. The thief jumped Down jumped thedown. thief. 5. He realize shedid wasn’t English she Notdidn't until she spoke I realize she until wasn’t spoke. English. 6. I Not I recognize you, but I recognized notonly onlydid recognized you, but I recognized your pet dog. 7. I Only then did find his secret. found out hisI secret only then. 8. Around head was a brown A brownhis snake was around hissnake. head. My school lies inmy Wuchang. 9. In Wuchang lies school. 10. My English teacher is a beautiful lady, lady. so My is sister’s is also a beautiful lady. my sister’s.
Practice 2 correct the mistakes
1. Seldom Seldom did did II see sawso somany manypeople. people. does little dog sit. 2. Outside the room sits aa little dog. 3. If he goes there, so shall I. I shall. 4. By no means the poor could could theman poor man enter his room. 5. Not until the did the police police arrived arrive did people people realized realize what what had had happened. happened. 6. Only when I came near could I recognize I could that she was my mother. 7. Here you are. are you. 8. So fast did he spoke he speak thatthat I couldn’t I couldn’t follow follow him. him.
Practice 3 write inverted sentences
Work in groups, write a piece of news about Obama and his wife Michelle visiting China in 2009 November. Odd number: write full inversion sentences Even number: write partial inversion sentences
Biggest number: Collect the sentences Check the mistakes Form a piece of news Report the news to the class
Message 1: The number on the paper is an odd Message 1 Task 1 number. (such as 1, 3, 5, 7, 9…)
Message 2: 2 The hitman got a piece of green Message 2 Task paper
Message 3: is bigger Message 3 Task 3The number on the paper than 25 and smaller than 30
So relaxed is Obama that he can have a good rest.
1. Find out the inverted sentences in this unit as many as possible. 2. Put these sentences into different sorts. 3. Think about why we need to use inversion.