M1U2 Growing pains
What does “Growing pains” mean
Pains of Exams
Pains of Private Things
Pains of Friends
What problems do you have? Why do you have these troubles?
How do you solve these problems?
Answer the questions in 2 minutes:
1. Do you think your parents understand
A. Yes B. No C. Don’t know 2. Do you often quarrel with your parents? A. Very often B. Often C. Sometimes D. Rarely(很少） E. Never
3. Do you and your parents often talk to
each other or have fun together?
A. Very often B. Often C. Sometimes
D. Rarely(很少） interests or hobbies? A. Yes B. No. E. Never 4. Do you and your parents have common
5. Do they always force you to do things
you don’t like to do?
A. Yes, very often. B. Sometimes C. Never 6. Do they ask for your opinions over some family issues? A. Yes, very often B. Sometimes C. Never
7. If you have some problems or feel upset, will you choose to talk to your parents? A. Yes, I do B. No, I don’t 8. What do you think of the relationship between you and your parents? A. Very close B. Not so close
C. Loose (疏远）
Welcome to the unit
1. Do your parents try to force you to do
things you don’t like? 2. When you have a problem and want to talk to someone, who do you choose to talk to? 3. Can you describe an experience with your parents that was not pleasant?
Good parents in your eyes:
kind, loving, humorous, strict,
open-minded, fair, understanding,
patient, learned, helpful,
If parents and children want to get on well with each other, they should…
love understand respect
learn from each other
1. Have you ever had the kind of experience when your parents had to go away and leave you alone? 2. Can you imagine what might happen if you
were left alone?
Home with Kids
Please go through the Reading strategy and tell me how to read a play.
Read the play and finish Part A & C1.
1.Eric,Daniel, Mom and Dad.
2. The room was a mess./ There was trash all over the place. 3. Spot was ill.
True or False
1. The boys do not expect their parents to T 2. Spot, the dog, looks full of life. tired and hungry 3. Daniel’s parents still think of him as an adult. come back so early. F
4. Eric does not want to explain to their parents. F 5. The boys did not clean the house
because they went to the clinic. be stricter with Daniel. F
6. The mother thinks the father should
Read again and do Part C2.
1. What are the boys doing when their parents come home? They are playing with a soccer ball. 2. How does the room look when the parents arrive home? The room is in a mess.
3. Why are the parents angrier with
Daniel than with Eric? Because they left Daniel in charge. 4. What is the emergency that Eric wants to tell his parents about? The dog, Spot, was sick and they had to take him to the clinic.
5. What does the father want to do with Daniel? The father feels like they have to punish Daniel or Daniel won’t respect them.