人教新课标高中必修(4) Unit 3 A Taste of English Humour warming-up& reading
Do you feel funny? Then what makes them funny?
Kinds of humor
jokes sketch cross-dres
sing mime/farce body language facial expression
Chinese humors Pantomime Funny plays Cross talk Jokes Doggerel
English humors Nonverbal Mime and farce Verbal jokes Funny stories Funny poems
? Charlie Chaplin
The Gold Rush
1.Who is the main character of the text? What was he famous for?
The main character is Charlie Chaplin. He was famous for his nonverbal humour.
2. How many famous film or characters are mentioned in the text? What are the names?
There are two, The Little Tramp and The Gold Rush.
Find out the main idea of each part.
Part 1.( para 1) Not all humor is kind.
Part 2 (para 2)
Some actors can astonish us with the deep feeling they can inspire with us for a character they are playing.
Part3 (para3-4) Something about Chaplin’s acting style. Part4 (para5)
A short biography about Chaplin.
Was born in 1889 His charming character is
The Little Tramp
His job is
Type of acting is
mime and farce.
He died in 1977
in Switzerland. Reasons of success:
He could astonish and
large trousers, worn-out shoes and small round black hat.
In 1972, he was given
a special Oscar for his outstanding work.
Give a description on Chaplin?
a small black hat a moustache
very wide trousers
He wore a small black hat, very wide trousers, a moustache and carried a stick that he swung in the air as he walked.
Answer the questions
1. Why do people enjoy seeing other people’s bad luck?
2. Why is The Little Tramp well known ?
3. What was Chaplin given a special Oscar for? 4. what’s the passage mainly about?
1. People enjoy seeing other people’s bad luck because _________. A.they enjoy doing so. B. it makes people more worried about their life. C. it makes people more content with their life. D. there’s much fun in doing so.
2. The Little Tramp is well known because ____. A. Chaplin played a poor and homeless person. B. The character was social failure.
C. Chaplin wore large trousers, worn-out shoes and a small round black hat and carried a walking stick.
D. Chaplin play a role as a man who determined to overcome difficulties and was kind even when people were unkind to him.
3. Chaplin was given a special Oscar for ________. A. the characters he played in his films.
B. the films he directed.
C. the joy he gave us in his films.
D. the contributions he made in films.
4. What’s the main idea of the text?
A. The history of English humour.
B. The films that Chaplin made.
C. The humour Chaplin made in his films. D. The Gold Rush in California.
Fill in the blanks
Do you find it funny to see someone sliding ____ on a banana___,______into someone else round a____, skin bumping corner orfalling ____down a hole in the road? If you do,you are alone cruel Perhaps it not____.Some humour can be____. makes us feel more_____with our life because we content feel there is someone else_____ worse ____than off poverty ourselves.Charlie Chaplin was born in_____in1889 silent He became and at that time films were_____. famous for using a particular _______form of acting, mime farce including_____and____.
What’s the author’s attitude to Charlie Charplin?
A. positive C. serious B. negative D appreciative
The writer mentioned that Charplin’s character “little tramp” is charming and lovable, and he won an Oscar for a lifetime of outstanding work, which proves that the writer likes Charplin and appreciates his work.
What should we learn from Charlie Chaplin? What should we do to get success?
We should be optimistic(乐观) no matter what difficulties you meet with, just as Charlie Chaplin was.
Set up an aim Do our best Pay more time then others Never give up/ lose heart Insist on what we pursue
1. Exe2. 1.2 on P19 2. Surf the Internet to find more information about Chaplin and you are expected to present it to your peer in the next class.
Can I have a break?