1、 means n.(often pl.) 方式，方法（单复数同形） by all means 当然，务必 by no means 绝不，并没有 by means of… 用…方法，依靠… 辨析：① mean v. 意欲，打算 mean to do sth 打
算做…… mean doing sth 意味着…… mean to have done sth = had meant to do sth 原打算做某事实际未做 ②用…方法（注意介词搭配） by means of… in this way with the method of 2、refer to a 提到，说起 He never referred to his sisters in his letters.他在信里从未提到过他的姊妹。 b 参考，咨询，查资料 If you don’t know what this means, refer to the dictionary. 如果你不知道这是什么意思，去查字典。 c 有关，针对 The new law doesn’t refer to the land used for farming. 新法与耕地无关。 d 提交（某人或某机关考虑办理或决定） They referred their plan to the government. 他们将计划提交了管理部门。 e 认为…起源于；认为…与…有关；有…归属于；归功(或咎)于；归于 Mr White referred his success to his hard work. 怀特先生说他的成功是靠勤劳工作而获得的。 拓展：查字典 refer to / turn to the dictionary look sth up in the dictionary refer to sth/sb 提到某物/某人，意指某物，涉及某人 refer to … as … 将……称为…… 3、take off a(鸟等)起跳；跳起来；(飞机等)起飞 The plane took off from the airport and headed south towards Hong Kong. 飞机从机场起飞往南向香港飞去。 b 脱下(衣帽、鞋子等)，脱掉；拿掉，取下；移去；拆下，拆掉 He took off his coat and sat down. 他脱下大衣坐了下来。 to take off one's glasses 摘下眼镜 c 出发；匆匆离开 The professor took off for Shanghai this morning. 教授今天上午动身去上海了。 d 中止，中断；停止(演出)，取消；(使火车、公共汽车等)停运 The show had to be taken off because of poor audiences. 因观众太少而不得不取消演出。 e 将…调离工作；休假，休息；[美国方言]缺勤，旷工，旷课 He took two weeks off from work. 他歇工两星期。 4、come from + 地点 来自于…（地方） 5、get on a(使)登上公共汽车(或火车等)；(使)骑上自行车(或马等) Before you can learn to ride a horse, you have to be able get on it.你要学会骑马，必须先会上马。
b 穿上(衣服等)；戴上(帽子等)；盖上(盖子等) Get on your rubbers, we have to go out in the rain. 穿上你的胶鞋，我们必须在雨天外出。 6、get off a(使)下车，(使)下马 Excuse me, I have to get off at the next stop. 劳驾，我必须在下一站下车。 b(从…)下来，(从…)下去 That roof is dangerous, do get off. 那房顶太危险，千万要下来。 c(使)离开；(使)动身 We have to get off early tomorrow. 我们明天一早必须动身。 d(从…)脱下(衣服等)；拿开(某物) Her finger had swollen so much that she couldn't get her ring off. 她的手指肿得很厉害，连戒指都取不下来了。 链接：get about 四处走动 get back 回来，取回，继续 get behind 落后 get down to 开始做 get out 逃离，泄露，生产，公布 get together 相聚，聚集 get on 上车 get around 传播 get away 逃离，离开 get over 爬过；克服；熬过 get in 进入；收获；收（税等） get rid of 除掉，摆脱 get through 通过；做完；看完 get up 起床，起身 get along / on (with) 相处；进展 7、more than (用法) ①more than + 数词 含―以上、超过‖之意 Judging from his appearance, he is more than 40. 从他的外表判断，他 40 多岁了。 ②more than + 名词 表示―多于……‖、―非但……尤其是‖ Jason is more than a lecturer; he is a writer, too. 杰森不仅是一名演讲者，还是名作家。 ③more than + 形容词 ―很、非常‖的意思 I assure you I am more than glad to help you. 我确信，我很乐意帮助你。 链接： ①在―more...than...‖中，肯定―more‖后面的而否定―than‖后面的，约等于―是……而不是……、与其 说……不如说……‖ Hearing the loud noise, the boy was more surprised than frightened. 听到吵闹的噪声，男孩是惊讶而不是害怕。 He is more a scholar than a teacher. 与其说他是位教师毋宁说他是位学者。 ②not more than 有两种用法: a[后接名词] 作"不超过、至多"解。 There are not more than five books in the case. 箱子里至多有五本书。 b[后接从句]往往为"not more...than"形式,作"还比不上"解。本句型侧重点往往在后一个分句,译成 汉语时,仍按原来的语序。 I am not more mad than you. 我哪里像你那么疯。 This book is not more interesting than that one. 这本书不如那本书有趣。 ③no more than = not any more than [后接名词](=only)作"不过,仅仅"解。 He is no more than a puppet. 他不过是个傀儡。 重点比较以下两组： 1）nor more than 与 not more than 用法 no more than 的意思是―只不过‖，not more than 的意思是―不多于‖。 试比较： This room is no bigger than that. 这个房间并不比那个大。 (有―两个房间都不大‖的含义)
This room is not bigger than that one.这个房间不比那个大。 (没有―两个房间都不大或都不小‖的含 义) 2）no less than 和 not less than 用法 no less than 的意思是―不亚于‖，not less than 的意思是―不少于‖。 试比较： There were no less than a thousand people at the meeting. 到会的有一千人之多。(有―到会人多‖的含义) There were not less than one thousand people at the meeting. 到会的至少有一千人。(没有―到会人多或人少‖的含义) 拓展：more … than … 与其说…… 倒不如说…… no more … than … 与…… 同样不 …… （表示前后比较对象程度相当） the more … the more … 越 …… 就越 …… no more than 仅仅，只有 more or less 或多或少 more and more 越来越多 once more 再次，又一次 not … any more = no more 不再 8、spend a 用(钱)，花费 He spent too much money on horse racing. 他在赌赛马上花了很多钱。 b 耗费，花费(时间、精力等)；度过 You really shouldn't spend so much effort on it. 你真不该在这件事上花费这么大的精力。 c 耗尽，用尽(气力等)： He spent all his energy climbing up the hill. 他耗尽全身气力爬上了山顶。 搭配：花费时间/金钱做某事 spend time / money on sth. spend time / money (in) doing sth. 辨析：spend, pay, cost 与 take 易混词 spend pay cost take 辨析 人+spend+时间/金钱+(in)doing / on sth 人+pay+金钱+for+物 事/物+cost+人+时间/金钱 It+takes+人+时间/精力+to do sth. 例句 Tom spent 15 yuan (in) buying/on the book. Tom paid 15 yuan for the book. The book cost Tom 15 yuan. It took me much time to study the report. take / make a journey 旅行
9、journey n. & v. 旅行 拓展：go on a journey 去旅行 be on a journey 在旅行中 辨析：journey, tour, travel, trip 与 voyage 易混词 journey tour travel trip voyage 辨析 指从一地出发直达目的地的长途旅行 强调旅行一周再转回原出发地 无直达目的地之意，指不同方向的旅行 指休闲或因商的短途旅行 强调较远距离的水上、空中旅行 例句
We made a journey from Paris to Berlin. a round–the–world tour 环球旅行 write an account of one’s travels 写一部游记 a trip to the seaside 海滨之行 make a voyage across the Atlantic
10、look like a 看起来像；与…相似 He looks like a southerner. 他看起来像是一个南方人。 b 看来要；好像要 It looks like rain. 看来要下雨。 链接：Look before you leap. 【谚】三思而后行。 look after 照顾，照料 look ahead 向前看，考虑将来 look around 寻找；参观 look at 看着 look back 回忆，回顾 look down on 轻视，瞧不起 look for 寻找 look into 调查 look forward to 期盼 look over 检阅，检查 look up 查阅；抬头看 look out 小心 look out of … 向…….外看 11、abandon a 放弃；弃绝；绝望；断念 He abandoned all hope. 他放弃一切希望。
b 丢弃(信仰等)；(不顾信义、义务、责任等而)遗弃，抛弃(妻儿等) The man shamelessly abandoned his wife and child for another woman. 那个男人无耻地抛弃了妻儿，另觅新欢。 c 放纵;纵情;无拘无束;使沉溺于 After his mother died, he abandoned himself to grief. 他母亲死后，他悲伤不已。 拓展：abandon oneself to sth. 沉湎于，沉溺于，纵情于，放纵于，恣意；委身于 辨析：abandon 指不得已而―放弃，遗弃‖，desert 指―逃避义务或违背誓约‖。 12、talk to sb. a 跟某人说话 The teacher talked to his students individually. 老师找学生们个别谈话。 b [口语]训斥，责备，对…直言不讳 She talked to the pupil about his grammar mistakes. 她找学生谈话，批评他犯语法错误。 拓展：talk back to sb. 和某人顶嘴 13、listen to a听 We are listening to him playing the piano. 我们在听他们弹钢琴。 b 仔细听；听取(意见等)；认真思考 We should listen closely to the outspoken criticisms. 我们应该仔细倾听直言不讳的批评。 14、a long time ago = long long ago 很久以前 15、a way to … …的方法、途径 拓展：an answer to …….的答案 a key to …….的关键 16、try doing sth. 试着做某事 链接：try to do sth. = try one’s best to do sth. 努力做某事 17、bring sth. from sw. 从某处带来某物 18、be short for … 是……的缩写 Alex can be short for Alexander. Alex 是 Alexander 的缩写。 拓展：be short of = lack 缺乏；短少 to be short 简单的说，简言之 in short 简言之，总之 for short 简略为，缩写 19、比较级的表达：（一般句式的构成） A + is / are+ 形容词比较级+ than + B She is taller than me. 她比我高。 拓展：1）表示―较…低或不及…‖用 less＋原级形容词＋than。 I am less young than him. 我不比他年轻。 2）表示―两者之中较…‖，用 the＋比较级＋of the two。 This one is the bigger of the two houses. 这所房子是两座房子中较大的。 3）用于惯用语。 More and more students will enter college. 愈来愈多的学生将进入大学。（比较级＋and＋比较级表示―愈来愈…‖。） The cleaner,the better. 越干净越好。（用于句型 the＋比较级…the＋比较级…，表示―愈…愈…‖。） 4）比较形容词可以被副词，如 a little(一点)，much(得多)，even(更加)等修饰，但不可用 very 修饰。 中文：现在的生活比二十年前的生活轻松得多了。 (误)Life is very easier than it was twenty years ago. (正)Life is much easier than it was twenty years ago. 20、supply v. & n. 供应，供给；储备 拓展：be in short supply 供应不足，不充裕 supply and demand 供求关系 辨析：supply, offer 与 provide
易混词 supply offer provide
辨析 supply sb with sth / supply sth to sb 为某人提供某物 offer sb sth / offer sth to sb （主动）为某人提供某物 Provide sb with sth / provide sth for sb 给某人提供某物
21、return with sth. 带着……回来 22、product n.(自然的)产物；（人工的）制品，作品 辨析：product, production 与 produce 易混词 product production produce 辨析 可数名词，指工厂制造的用来出售的新产品或自然产品，如木材、煤等 不可数名词时，指―生产、产量‖； 可数名词时，指供剧院或广播电台等上演或播放的戏剧、电影等 不可数名词，指销售时未经多大改变的农产品
23、世纪、年代的表达方法：世纪、年代前加 the ，后面加 s / ’s。 如：在 20 世纪 20 年代 in the 1920s / in the 1920’s 60 年代 the 60s / the 60’s 链接：在某人…岁的时候 in one’s + 岁数的复数 24、not … any more 不再… 链接：not … any more = no more not … any longer = no longer 辨析：not...any more 表示次数不再继续；而 not ...any longer 表示时间不再继续。 如：他哭了好几次，他不再哭了。 He didn't cry any more. 他等了很久，不能再等了。 He couldn't wait any longer. 25、pass a law 通过一项法律 链接：keep / obey the law 遵守法律 break the law 违反法律 26、allow sb. to do sth. 允许某人做某事 链接：allow doing sth. 允许做某事 27、shoot v.射杀；射中；射击 辨析：He is shooting at a bear, but he doesn’t shoot it. 他向一只熊射击，但是没射中。 28、seaside n.海滨，海边 辨析：cost, beach, shore, bank 与 seaside 辨析 cost beach shore bank seaside 海岸（海陆相接之线） 例句 Looking down the plane, we can see the cost.
海滩（相对平坦，宜于游泳、日光浴等） I like lying on the beach, enjoying the sunbath 海滨（笼统指平坦或突兀陡峭的岸边） He often walks on the shore, collecting shells. 河流、湖泊的岸或堤 河边、海滨（特指游泳场、休闲地的海 边、河滩） Can you jump over to the opposite bank? We’re taking the children to the seaside this Sunday.
难点： for the first time 与 the first time： for the first time 第一次，在句中作状语。 e.g. They were in Beijing for the first time. the first time 第一次，后面跟从句。 e.g. This is the first time that I have ever been abroad at all.
produce, product, production 是同根词，它们译成汉语时往往都有生产、产品等意思，但他们之间 有区别。 (1)produce 作动词是生产、制造的意思，作名词用是产品、产物的意思，主要用于指农产品，为 不可数名词。 We must produce more food for ourselves and import less. 我们必须增产粮食，以减少粮食进口。 The factory hasn't begun to produce yet. 工厂还没有开始生产。 Things produced on a farm, such as milk, potatoes, and wool, are produce. 农场里生产的东西，如牛奶、土豆、羊毛，都是农产品。 (2)product 是产品、产物的意思，是最普通的用语，可指天然的或人造的，多指工业产品， 也可指农产品，还可指脑力劳动、意志力、环境等的产物。 The production of cloth by hand has been replaced by production of it by machine. 布料的手工生产已 被机器生产所取代。 The production of eggs has increased in the last few weeks. 我们的蛋产量近几个星 期上升了。 This book on political history is the writer's latest production. 这本行政改革的书是作者的最新作品。
课堂练习 Module 3-My First Ride on a Train
单词复习 (1).听写。 1.距离______________ 2.沙漠_______________ 3.钻石_______________ 4.专家_____________ 5.半夜_______________ 6.产品________________ 7.风景，景色_______________ 8.土壤______________ 9.旅游_____________ 10.被遗弃的____________ 11.射杀____________ 12.训练____________ 13.优势，长处______________ 14.完成____________ 15.纪录_____________ 巩固练习 A. 单词拼写。 1. I was f_____________when I saw an animal like a wolf on my way home. 2. After I got to the top of the hill, I felt e_______________. 3. What is the d______________from Shanghai to Beijing. 4. Your_______________(面试) for the job is tomorrow. 5. The _______________(风景) of the Alps is very beautiful. 6. We should build a new_______________(体育馆) for the Olympic Games.
7. I gave the ________________(纪念品) of my first trip abroad to my friend. 8. I noticed two middle-aged p_______________ get on the bus.
Module 4-A Social Survey - My Neighborhood 一．单词拼写
1. I am s_____________, Mum. I’d like to have lunch at once. 2. There is a sign saying ―No p___________ here!‖. Please drive away. 3. The city is divided into 8 d___________, and this one is the poorest. 4. My o____________ is teaching. What’s your job, please? 5. Children’s Day is a_______________. My son is preparing for a performance to celebrate it. 6. _____________（幸运地）, he was admitted by Beijing Foreign University. 7. The woman is so ______________ （有吸引力的）that some men call her ―man-killer‖. 8. The _____________ （失业的）should be helped to find work again, in my opinion. 9. At the end of the party, the girl and the boy _____________ （交换）nice presents. 10. The old man was the only person who _____________（生还） in the plane crash.
be filled with contact so far fascinating all one’s life bothering pretty six-storey get away from be popular with
1. They live on the fifth floor of a _____________ apartment block 2. Try to _____________ my uncle when you are in America alone. 3. The bad man kept ___________ the girl while she was working. She felt very bored. 4. The basket _________ flowers is very beautiful. It is for our English teacher because it’s Teachers’ Day today. 5. The climate there is ________ hot. Such weather doesn’t agree with me. 6. He hasn’t written to me ___________. I guess he may get angry with me. 7. The novel is so ________ that I can’t tear myself away from it. 8. They lived so hard a life ____________. 9. It’s too noisy here. I will have to ____________ the noise. What about you? 10. The singer___________ the young students, and his songs can be heard everywhere.
三：重点句型 1. It ` s been six years since we last saw each other, you know. 【句型】 It has been/ is +一段时间+ since+ … 自……以来已有多长时间了。 【例子】 1) It has been 2 years since he left school 2) Good to see you. It is such a long time since we last met. 【翻译练习】 杰克有 10 年没回自己的家乡了。 ____________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________ 2. And this is the first time I’ve visited your hometown. 【句型】 This be the +序数词+time+从句 【例子】 1) This is the first time that I have been here. 2) This is the second time that I have seen such a thing. 【翻译练习】 这是我第三次看这部电影。 ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ 3. What `s the climate like? 【句型】 What is …like? 【例子】 1) Now I know what the summer here is like 2) Man will be better only when you will make him see what he is like. 【翻译练习】 他长得怎么样？ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________
单项选择 1. From April 18, 2007, the elevated trains can travel ___ a speed of 250 kilometers per hour. A. in B. at C. with D. for 2. After two year’s research, we now have a ___ better understanding of the disease. A. very B. far C. fairly D. quite 3. --- What is the ICO? --- It’s ___ the International Olympic Committee. A. in short of B. for short of C. short for D. short of st 4. 21 Century School Edition is ___ a newspaper. It helps us to improve our English a lot. A. no less than B. more than C. no more than D. less than 5. ---- Would you mind lending me a cigarette? ---- I’m very sorry, ___ I have none myself. A. and B. but C. so D. for 6. He shot ___ the bird with his gun, but didn’t shoot ___ it. A. on; / B. to; at C. at; / D. /; at 7. I want to find a place ___ I can pay a visit during the coming holiday. A. to which B. to that C. which D. that 8. --- Could you do me a favor and take these books to my office? --- Yes, ___ . A. for pleasure B. I could C. my pleasure D. with pleasure 9. Your plan sounds good. But we are short ___ money to carry it out. A. for B. of C. with D. in 10. The president spoke at the business meeting for nearly an hour without ___ his notes. A. bringing up B. referring to C. looking up D. sticking to
请认真阅读下面短文，并根据所读内容在文章后图表中的空格里填入最恰当的单词。 注意：每空不超过 1 个单词。
New Year traditions all around the world ―Happy New Year!‖ Everyone will greet each other with these words as they meet each other over the next couple of weeks. But it wasn’t always January 1 that marked the New Year. At least 4,000 years ago, the ancient Egyptians and Babylonians marked the changing of the year. In Egypt, the year started when the Nile River flooded, enriching farmers’ fields. This happened at the end of September. The Babylonians held a festival in the spring, on March 23, to kick off the next farming cycle. The Babylonian celebration lasted for 11 days. The date January 1 was picked by the Roman Emperor Julius Caesar as the change of the year when he established his own calendar in 46 BC. The month of January originates from the Roman god, Janus. He is pictured with two heads. One head looks forward and the other back. They represent a break between the old and new. The new calendar was in time with the sun and it has been used until the present day. In Vietnam, the New Year holiday happens in February. They buy fresh flowers and a peach blossom to put in their house, following the Vietnamese custom. Thailand has its specific New Year’s date; it’s different from the normal calendar. The Thai New Year is celebrated on April 13. On this day, Thai people play with water, throwing it on each other. It is intended to bring good luck during the New Year ahead. In China, the more favorable New Year is usually celebrated in February according to lunar calendar (阴历). On New Year’s Eve, all family members sit together at table, enjoying lots of auspicious foods such as dumplings, chicken to bring good luck. Title: New Year traditions all around the world Origins （起源）or Countries (1) _________ (2) ______ the end of Egypt September the Nile River flood make fields(4)______ (3) ______ or reasons
kick off the next farming Babylon Rome Thailand March 23 January 1 April 13 holding a (5) _______ cycle Roman god, Janus (7)______ water onto each other’s body buying fresh flowers and a Vietnam February peach blossom (9)_______ auspicious China February foods (10)____ to everyone bring good luck and (8)______the custom bring good luck (6) of a break
1. It _______ (be) 6 years since I knew him. 2. I haven’t seen you for ages. Where ______ you _______? (be) 3. I find great changes ______________(take place) in my hometown. 4. The man ____________ (teach) in this school since 1990, now he is my son’s maths teacher. 5. I ______never________ such a good man before.(see) 6. She ________ just _______ a computer for his son for his 15th birthday. (buy) 7. How many photos _________ (take) on the Great Wall? 8. Don’t get off the bus until it ___________. (stop) 9. You needn’t introduce her to me. We _____________ several times. (meet) 10. He ________ (come) back from Australia. Let’s go and see him.
1. It is the second time he ______ out with her alone. A. was A. will finish A. I've been A. didn't hear A. is B. has been B. were C. had been C. have finished D. has been D. had finished D. I were D. hadn't heard 2. You may leave the classroom when you ________ writing. B. are finishing B. I'd been 3. I should have written to you earlier, but ______ rather busy recently. C. I'm being 4. Until then, his family ______ from him for six months. B. hasn't been hearing C. have been B. is going B. hadn't found B. have tried C. went C. didn't find C. would try C. hasn't heard D. are being D. had gone D. don't find D. are trying 5. Ever since Picasso's painting went on exhibit, there _______ large crowds at the museum every day. 6. Alice's second-hand computer _______ wrong although she used it only once. A. has gone A. haven't found A. had tried 7. We would like to go and thank him ourselves, but we ______ out his address yet. 8. In the past few years, scientists _______ to find the answer to it. 9. The price ______, but I doubt whether it will remain so. A. went down A. tried; were you A. has been B. will go down C. has gone down D. was going down D. are trying; are you
10. Hello, I _______ to telephone you all day. Where _______? B. have been trying; were you C. have tried; are you B. had been C. was D. will be 11. How can you possibly miss the news? It ______ on TV all day long. （2004 年北京春季题） 12. My dictionary __________. I have looked for it everywhere but still _______ it. A. has lost; don’t find B. is missing; don’t fine C. has lost; haven’t found D. is missing; haven’t found 13. When and where to go for the on-salary holiday ___________ yet.
A. are not decided A. would be even stand up. A. reached; to be able to A. were you employed C. had you been employed A. has happened
B. have not been decided C. is not being decided B. has been C. had been
D. has not been decided
14. Before the first non-stop flight made in 1949, it ______ necessary for all planes to land for refueling. D. would have been 15. By the time a baby _______ his first birthday, he should, without the help of an adult, _______ sit up or B. reaches; can C. had reached; could D. has reached; be able to
16. — How long _______ at this job?
— Since 1990.
B. have you been employed D. will you be employed —What do you imagine ______ to him then? C. happening D. was happened —For about three years. （2003 年北京高考题） B. How long have ; got D. How long did ; get B. was happening
17. —He promised to come on time.
18. —____ David and Vicky ____ married? A. How long were; being C. How long have ; been 19. —Are you a visitor here?
—That's right. I ______ round the world and now my dream of coming to China ______ true. A. am travelling; has come C. have travelled; has come B. was travelling; had come D. had travelled; is coming
20. —______ my English book? I want to look up a word in it. —Yes, I ______ it lying on your desk a few minutes ago. A. Had you seen; saw C. Have you seen; saw B. Did you see; have seen D. Do you see; saw
31. ---How did you find the museum?----________. A. By accident B. By bus C. A classmate led me D. Boring 32. _________is the most influential film? A. Do you think which of these C. Which of these do you know ----________; I’d like to help you. A. moves,Yes B. moving ,Of course not C. to move ,Of course D. moving, Certainly 34 .Where do you think _______? A. does he live B. does he live in C. he lives D. he lives in 35. What a pity! Her parents wouldn’t __________her to go to the party. A. let B. force C. allow D. make 36. You’d better change your dress----- it has gone _________date. A. up to B. out of C. to D. over 37. I’m afraid that Mrs. White does not live here ______________. A. any longer B. no more C. much more D. no longer 38. He __________the bird but didn’t__________it.
B. Which of these do you think D. You know which of these
33 .----Would you mind ______over one seat? My wife and I can sit together .
A. shot at; shoot B. shot; shoot at C. shot; shoot to D. shot to ; shoot 39. Every possible means ____________to prevent the air pollution but the sky is still not clear. A. is used B. are used A. was used to tell C. has been used D. have been used 40. Father ___________us stories when we were young. B. is used to telling C. used to tell D. used to telling
【短评】 耻与问者耻与学。知之为知之，不知为不知，不能含含糊糊，不懂装懂只能是自欺欺人。不要 害羞！不懂就问！下面不仅仅是一片训练国际肌肉的短文，也是一个极有价值的建议。请用―三最法‖ 将它脱口而出，不但你的英语将会有―质‖的飞跃，而且你的自信心也将大大增强，从此不再害怕开口 说英语。 【Kim’s Note】 This is more than a passage to build your international muscle. It’s valuable advice for succeeding in English and business. Pretending to understand when you really don’t is always a bad idea. Practice this passage and you will be much more confident about asking for clarification. Don’t be shy! Native speakers always ask questions when they don’t understand. In fact, it shows you are listening!
If you don’t understand, don’t hesitate to ask. Some Chinese seem to feel that it is impolite to ask questions even when they don't quite understand. However, it’s much better to say that you don’t understand than to pretend you understand and answer very vaguely. When you don’t understand or haven’t caught what was said, you may ask by saying any of the following: ―I beg your pardon?‖ ―I’m not clear on what you said.‖ ―I’m afraid I don’t understand you. Would you mind saying it again?‖ ―I’m sorry I don’t follow you.‖ ―I didn’t get it.‖ You’ll improve your understand and the speaker will be happy to make his point again!‖
【参考译文】 如果你不明白的话，一定要毫不迟疑的发问。有些中国人以为是提问题是不礼貌的，即使在他 们不是十分明白的时候。然而，你直言不懂比假装而含糊地回答要来的好。当你不明白或弄不清对方 说什么是，你可以用以下方式来提问： ―你能再说一遍吗？‖ ―我没听清你说什么。‖ ―恐怕我不明白你的意思。你介意再说一次吗？‖ ― 很抱歉我不明白你的意思。‖ ―你能重复一遍吗？‖ ―我没有听懂。‖ 这样将增进你的理解，而且说话者也乐意把他的要点再重复一遍。