当前位置:首页 >> 英语 >>

How


How to write a

summary?

Summary is a short passage giving the main points of an original article.

Find the main idea

Find key sentences

/>Preparation for writing a summary

Find key words

Recently, students in our class have had a discussion on whether space is worth exploring. 30% of us think space exploration is not worthwhile. They think space is too far away from us and our daily life. And the money spent on space exploration can be used to solve the earth’s problem such as starvation and pollution. On the other hand, 70% think space is worth exploring because we have benefited a lot from it. We use satellites for communication and weather forecast. Also, space research will enable us to find new sources to solve the problem of energy shortages on the earth. What’s more, with further space research, we may solve the population problem by moving to other planets one day.

1 Recently, students in our class have had a discussion on whether space is worth exploring. 2 30% of us think space exploration is not worthwhile. 3 They think space is too far away from us and our daily life. 4 And the money spent on space exploration can be used to solve the earth’s problem such as starvation and pollution. 5 On the other hand, 70% think space is worth exploring because we have benefited a lot from it. 6 We use satellites for communication and weather forecast. 7 Also, space research will enable us to find new sources to solve the problem of energy shortages on the earth.8 What’s more, with further space research, we may solve the population problem by moving to other planets one day.

Part 1:

What—A survey on whether…

Recently, students in our class have had a discussion on whether space is worth exploring.

Part 2: (Result ) Disagreement 30% of us think space exploration is not worthwhile. They think space is too far away from us and our daily life. And the money spent on space exploration can be used to solve the earth’s problem such as starvation and pollution.

What does the writer want to tell us in each part?

Part 3:

(Result) Agreement

On the other hand, 70% think space is worth exploring because we have benefited a lot from it. We use satellites for communication and weather forecast. Also, space research will enable us to find new sources to solve the problem of energy shortages on the earth. What’s more, with further space research, we may solve the population problem by moving to other planets one day.

Outline What:
A survey on whether space is worth exploring

not worthwhile ;

Disagreement: too far away…our daily life;
a waste of money.
worth; benefit a lot;

Agreement : solve problem of communication ,

weather forecast, energy shortages, even the population.


because… and … . While … because … and … .

Summary
A survey, whether space is worth exploring, of our class, shows 30% of the students think it unnecessary, because the exploring has little to do with our daily life and it will be a waste of money. While 70% think it worthwhile because it brings us benefit and helps to solve the problem of communication, weather report , energy shortage, and even population problem.

(64words)

Summary
A survey, whether space is worth exploring, of our class, shows 30% of the students think it unnecessary, because the exploring which wastes money has little to do with our daily life . While 70% think it worthwhile because it brings us benefit . (42words)

Steps for writing a summary(步骤)
Read the passage for overall content.(通读全文领略大意) 1._____

2.Reread carefully, high lightening the ____ mainidea and any key ____ supporting idea.(仔细阅读,突出大意和关键词)
3. ______ Group the passage into sections according to the author’s topic divisions.(根据作者的写作意图将文章划分为 几个部分) one-sentence summary of each section, 4.Write a _____________ own words focusing on the main point and then use your ____ to combine them logically. (用一个句子分别概括各部分的大 意,用自己的话连接成文) 5 .In your final draft, insert transitional _________ words and phrases where necessary. (用连词连接各部分,使连贯)

Tips for writing a summary
1. Focus on main ideas and omit(省去) examples, specific details, and minor supports.

2. Mainly use the words and phrases in the original passage. Do not include your own opinion, but be sure to use your own words.(主要引 用原文的词句,不能添加自己的见解,但是要用自己的语 言概括) 3.Try to change the sentence structure or the voice(语态) of the sentence, and use the synonyms (同义词)

4. Start with the following suggestive expressions and make sure the first sentence is correct. According to the passage, we know… This article is mainly about… The writer states that… 5. Check it to avoid spelling and grammatical mistakes

Have a try !

1. Write a summary 2. Check in pairs

Checklist: ? 1.All main points included? ? 2.In your own words? ? 3. Insert any transitional words? ? 4.Any grammar, spelling, and punctuation(标点) mistakes?

? 读写任务 ? 阅读下面的短文, 然后按照要求写一篇150词 左右的英语短文
Do Examinations Do More Harm Than Good? As anxiety-makers, examinations are second to none. That is because so much depends on them. They are the mark of success or failure in our society. It doesn’t matter that you weren’t feeling very well, or that your mother died. The moment a child begins school, he enters a world of terrible competition where success and failure are clearly cut and measured. A good education should train you to think for yourself. The examination system does anything but that…

One possible version: The article tries to tell us ______ exams do more harm than good to students. nervous Besides making students _______, they can neither help students think _____ for themselves nor serve as a fair way test students’ abilities. (36 words) to ____

Home work:
Continue to finish writing the next part of the composition and exchange with your partner and evaluate each other’s composition according to the checklist.

Checklist:
1.All main points included? 2.In your own words? 3. Insert any transitional words? 4.Any grammar, spelling, and punctuation(标点) mistakes?

Thank You !

Good luck &Success’s ahead!

Understanding
As anxiety-makers, examinations are second to none. Examinations cause anxiety. A good education should train you to think for yourself. The examination system does anything but that. Examinations do not help to train students to think for themselves.

There must surely be many simpler and more effective ways of assessing a person’s true abilities. Examination is not the best way to test a person’s true abilities.

Recently, students in our class have had a discussion on whether space is worth exploring. 30% of us think space exploration is not worthwhile. They think space is too far away from us and our daily life. And the money spent on space exploration can be used to solve the earth’s problem such as starvation and pollution. On the other hand, 70% think space is worth exploring because we have benefited a lot from it. We use satellites for communication and weather forecast. … 1.Read the passage for overall content.

1 Recently, students in our class have had a discussion on whether space is worth exploring. 2 30% of us think space exploration is not worthwhile. 3 They think space is too far away from us and our daily life. 4 And the money spent on space exploration can be used to solve the earth’s problem such as starvation and pollution. 5 On the other hand, 70% think space is worth exploring because we have benefited a lot from it. 6 We use satellites for communication and weather forecast. 7 Also, space research will enable us to find new sources to solve the problem of energy shortages on the earth. …2.Reread carefully, high lightening the main idea and any key supporting idea.

Part 1:

What—A survey on whether…

Recently, students in our class have had a discussion on whether space is worth exploring.

Part 2: (Result ) Disagreement 30% of us think space exploration is not worthwhile. They think space is too far away from us and our daily life. And the money spent on space exploration can be used to solve the earth’s problem such as starvation and pollution.
3. Group the passage into sections according to the author’s topic divisions.

Summary
A survey, whether space is worth exploring, of our class, shows 30% of the students think it unnecessary, because the exploring which wastes money has little to do with our daily life . While 70% think it worthwhile because it brings us benefit . (42words)
4.Write a one-sentence summary of each section, and then use your own words to combine them logically.

5 .In your final draft, insert transitional words and phrases where necessary.


相关文章:
how短语归纳
how短语归纳_初二英语_英语_初中教育_教育专区。初二上英语,教案,模拟试题.how 短语归纳 1. how often 常用来问频率。如: —How often do they play football?...
How_many和_how__much的用法
How_many和_how__much的用法_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。How_many和_how__much的用法 How many 和 how much 的用法 所谓的名词,即是指物品、动、植物,...
Unit 6 How to write a rotten poem with almost no ef...
Unit 6 How to write a rotten poem with almost no effort练习答案综合教程三_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。文档贡献者 yanhongyue2007 贡献于2015-05-12 ...
12、How many , How much的练习
12、How many , How much的练习_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。How many , How much 的练习 1) many, much 都表示“许多”, many 修饰可数名词复数, much ...
_Unit2_How_often_do_you_exercise? 知识点汇总加练习
_Unit2_How_often_do_you_exercise? 知识点汇总加练习_初二英语_英语_初中教育_教育专区。TOP A Unit2 How often do you exercise? 单元知识讲解 1. help ...
How与what式感叹句的结构类型及口诀记忆
How/what-式感叹句的结构类型与口诀记忆《中学课程辅导?教学研究》2009 年第 12 期供稿文/朱成斌 摘要:本文对初中阶段感叹句的结构类型作了具体的分析,并对感叹...
what还是how——感叹句用法归纳
what还是how——感叹句用法归纳_英语考试_外语学习_教育专区。“what 还是 how?”——感叹句语法归纳 句型 例句 备注 What +a/an+形容 What a careful girl ...
how long 和how soon 的用法和区别
how long 和how soon 的用法和区别_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。How soon, How ofen, How long 的用法和区别 1、how soon,一般用于将来时态,意思为“多久...
2014pep六年级上册英语unit_1_How_can_I_get_there(1-4...
2014pep六年级上册英语unit_1_How_can_I_get_there(1-4课时)教学设计_英语_小学教育_教育专区。Unit 1 单元教学目标: 1、能力目标 How can I get there? ...
How much cheese did you buy教学设计
How much cheese did you buy教学设计_英语_小学教育_教育专区。Unit2 How much cheese did you buy? 中卫六小 教学目标: 1.语言知识目标: 能掌握以下单词和...
更多相关标签:
how to | how is it going | how are you | how much | how many | how about | how do you do | how old |