教 材：牛津高中英语 (模块九) 高三上学期 文档内容：教学设计——教案 单 板 元：Unit 4 Behind beliefs 块：Welcome to the unit
Thoughts on the design: 本节课是以听，说，为主的热身课程。这个课程主要是作为整个单元的整体 导入， 对这个单元的宗教和文化这个话题
做了粗略的介绍和引入。初步揭示了宗 教和人们的生活和文字语言的关系。主要从三个方面去展开：宗教旅游胜地，宗 教节日和文学中的宗教。最后讲到基督教中最重要的一部作品——《圣经》 ，这 也是对下面一个课时 Reading 部分展开讲 Bible 做了充分铺垫。本节课不仅对此 做了铺垫，还对 Task 的圣诞节文化做了导入，对 project 部分的中国的佛教寺庙 白马寺也做了铺垫引出。 其中有一处做了删减，四幅图片中的伊斯兰教的清真寺 放到了 word power 中去学习，因为和本单元其他部分联系不紧密，再加上本课 时又已经内容丰富详尽，没有多的空间留给这个话题。反而是这个内容和 Word power 中一篇短文中了解主要宗教的基本情况结合再一起更加恰当。另外，适当 补充了一些宗教词汇， 比如基督教其他节日以选词填空的形式出现。 从形式上说， 主要考虑从学生熟悉的话题入手：比如学生自己去求神拜佛现象的讨论，圣诞节 的庆祝内容和含义， 曾经去过的宗教旅游景点等，还有配合大量的图片文字的介 绍， 让学生对这个主题有基本的了解， 其次创设口语联系场景， 两人或小组讨论， 全班提问等形式。 通过这个课时的学习，学生对本单元的相关主题都有了全面的 热身，是容量较大的一堂课。 Teaching aims: After learning this section, the students will get familiar with the content of four pictures, each of which shows a different religion. Students are expected to discuss their knowledge about beliefs or religions, famous religious sites, festivals related to religions and the related literatures which is a warm up for the Reading part. Students
fully participate in the discussion, express their opinions about relevant topics, share ideas in a group and practice their spoken English. Teaching procedures: Step 1 Lead-in 1. Draw students? attention by showing a picture of a school trip and ask them to imagine and think about the following questions” Where are you going? Why do you choose this destination? What do you suppose you are going to see? Possible answer: We are going on a school trip to Mount Tai. Because we like going climbing. We may see a high mountain, lots of people and some places of interest. 2. Inspire students to discuss the common scene on the next page. It shows some students are praying. Ask students to explain: (group work) What are they doing? Why? (Possible answer: They are kowtowing, bowing and praying. /They are praising and worshiping Buddha for their exams or good future. ) What makes them believe that will help? (Possible answer: They believe someone who is powerful may control their future. That is the influence of religion.)
3. Tell students that many religious people also believe that the religion gives answers which explain humankind?s relationship with the world and the universe. [Explanation] 通过这个环节， 让学生从身边熟悉的话题的春游秋游开始，比较容易开口交 流。这些问题设置的不是很难，英语基础差的学生也能参与。尤其是第二张图片 学生在求神拜佛， 是学生很容易看到的生活场景，也是经常发生在他们自己身上 的事情，场景设置比较真实贴切，也紧扣宗教的主题，是一个比较自然的导入。
Step 2 Information about religion and religious sites 1. General information 1) Definition of religion Tell students what religion is: The belief in and worship of superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods and do activities to praise or worship them. 2) Brainstorm: Ask students to think of anything related to religions. 3) Religions in the world Question: What are the most popular religions in the world? (Possible answer: Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam)
2. Buddhism in China 1) Famous religious sites in China Question: Have you ever been to any famous religious sites in China? (Possible answer: There are many famous historic religious sites in China. The Mogao Grottoes in Dunhuang, Gansu Province and the White Horse Temple in Luoyang, Henan Province are the famous Buddhist sites. Mount Wudang in Hubei Province is famous for Taoism. The Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet, is the holy place for Tibetan Buddhism.) 2) Buddhist sites Show pictures: Buddhist site—The Mogao Grottoes, The White Horse Temple; Tibetan buddhist site—The Potala Palace)
3. Taoism—Another religion in China 1) Ask students if they have found that all the buddhist sites have something in common: symbols and god of buddhism. Show them the picture. 2) Show more pictures about the Taoism sites: the Yinyang and Taoist temple: Students may refer that they are different from the buddhist ones. And they are related to another religion—Taoism.
What do you know about Taoism? (Possible answer: Taoism is one of the major religions in China. It was founded by Lao-tzu in about the 6th century B.C. The most important text of Taoism is Tao-te-Ching. In the 5th century AD, Taoism developed as a religious system.) What is the belief behind Taoism? (Possible answer: Taoism is also a system of thought. The central concept of Taoism is Tao, which refers to the ways the universe functions. Taoism believes in “wuwei”, which means that everything must follow its course and happen naturally. ) 3) Show symbol of Taoism and ask: What does the yinyang mean? Explain the meaning of yingyang: The yinyang of Taoism has greatly influenced Chinese philosophy. Taoism believes that “yin” and “yang” are two fundamental forces in the universe. “Yin” is the passive or negative force, while “yang” represents active and positive things, such as the bright, dry and masculine aspects. According to Taoism, wise people will achieve a balance between the interactions of these two forces. 4) Taoist site in China Show pictures of Mount Wudang in Hubei Province and Taoist monks.
4. Religious sites in other countries Questions: Have you ever been to any famous religious sites overseas? Introduce some famous religious sites in the world: Jerusalem—holy city for Judaism, Christianity and Islam Mecca, In Saudi Arabia—the holiest place for Islam, birthplace of Muhammad Gaya, in Bihar, in India—scared city for Hindu pilgrims The Vatican, in Italy—the Roman Catholic Church [Explanation] 这个环节的主要目的是介绍各地的宗教圣地。从逻辑上，按照先让学生说他
们熟悉的中国佛教圣地开始， 到分辨出佛教和我国特有的道教寺庙从外形上有所 不同， 这里对道教的一些情况也做了些介绍。 然后最后提到国外其他宗教的圣地。 基本在这个步骤上，还是以教师介绍为主。在介绍为主的环节中，启发学生联系 实际生活，看学生的上课反应，如果有学生熟悉这个话题，可以让学生多讲。如 果学生不熟悉，则以看图片介绍为主。
Step 3 Religious days 1. Show a picture of a church on Christmas Day. Ask students to describe the picture and guess ?What day is it in the church?? (Students may answer like the following: Christmas Day.) Ask What do people usually do on this day?（Pair work） (Possible answer: Christmas brings families and friends together to share the much loved customs and traditions which have been around for centuries. Most people are on holidays and stay at home with their family on Christmas. Although Christmas is a religious holiday, many of the customs and celebrations are not of a religious nature. Before Christmas Day, people will go to shops to buy Christmas decorations, Christmas cards and presents together )
2. Try to get the idea of the real meaning of Christmas. The word “Christmas” comes from the old English name Criste Maesse-Christ?s Mass—and is the celebration of the birth of Jesus. Christmas, a Christian holiday, is celebrated in many different countries. Every year in December Christians celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ.
3. Exercise: fill in the blanks about Christian holidays Good Friday All Saints 1. Giving presents is what makes __________ so popular with Christians and non Christians all over the world. 2. The date of _________ moves from year to year. The Orthodox churches usually
celebrate it on a different date. 3. Christ’s death is remembered on _______________. 4. The day when Christians remember everyday who has died is known as ________________. 5. The day when Jesus went to Heaven is known as _____________ Day. 6. The four-week period before Christmas is known as ________________. (Answers: 1. Christmas 2. Easter 3. Good Friday 6. Advent ) 4. All Saints 5. Ascension
4. Other religious days: Question: Do you know any festivals that are associated with other religions? Introduce some festivals as following: For Buddhists —Nirvana day, Buddha?s day and Bodhi day. For Muslims —Eid, the festival of sacrifice, Muhammad?s Birthday or Forgiveness Day. For Hindus —Great Shiva Night, Humanity Day and the Festival of Lights. For Jews —Passover, Day of Atonement or Harvest Festival.
[Explanation] 这个步骤主要设计用来让学生回顾生活中接触过的宗教节日， 并且做一些系 统的介绍。 从上一部分的教堂的图片过度到教堂里经常看到的圣诞节的场景，从 学生喜欢的圣诞节开始，提问圣诞节的活动以及为何这样过圣诞节。创设口语训 练的情景， 讨论圣诞节的正真含义，并且以选择填空的方式学习其他基督教节日 的基本情况。 然后介绍其它四个主要宗教的最著名的节日，如果有时间可以展开 介绍。
Step 4 Religious literatures
1. Journey to the West—Buddhism 1) Tell students the influence of religions can be found everywhere, even from literatures. Show students the cover of Journey to the West and ask questions: Have you ever read the book? (Possible answer: Journey to the West)
What religion is it related to? (Possible answer: Buddhism) What do you know about it? (Possible answer: A classic piece of Chinese literature; A combination of myth, parabel and comedy; A trip to India for the Buddhist scripture; The characters are magical or heavenly beings in normal forms and have some magical powers that can protect them from the evil monsters and spirits. Main characters include a Buddhist monk who is also known as the Priest of Tang and his three followers, Monkey King, Pigsy and Friar Sand.) 2) Religious context Question: There are 81 obstacles for the monk and his three followers on the way to the West. Why do you think they face these obstacles? (possible answer: To give the monk and his three followers an insight into their own characters and show that people must often struggle to succeed. To symbolize the difficulties and challenges that people meet in the course of doing what they believe in.)
2. Literature of Christian—the Bible There is the most important literature work of Christian, what is it? (Possible answer: the Bible) What is Bible? (Possible answer: The Bible is the holy book of Christianity and consists of two parts, the 39-chapter Old Testament, which is an account of God?s dealings with the chosen people, the Jews, and the 27-chapter New Testament, which talks mainly about the life and teachings of Jesus, the son of God. It is used by Christians in almost all services of public worship. It teaches people about God and how to live with their lives.)
[Explanation] 这个步骤是从文学角度来看宗教在我们日常生活中的影响， 《西游记》既是 学生熟悉的作品， 可以展开讨论也是书上图片的内容，从宗教角度来看为何设置 81 难的故事情节是关键点。由此引出基督教中的最伟大的作品——《圣经》 。到 此就是对下一个课时的重要的铺垫了。
Step 5 Homework 1. Collect more information about different religions and the Bible. 2. Prepare for the Reading.