Grammar and usage1
Non-restrictive attributive clauses
关系 代词 修饰 who 人 whom 人 whose 人 /物 which 物
that 人 /物
关系副词 修饰 成分(从句）
用who, whom, whose, that, which, when, where, why 填空
who is shaking hands with my 1. The man ______ father is a policeman 2. Li Ming is just the boy _______ whom I want to see. where we live is not big. 3. The house _______ 4. The film which/that ___________ they went to see last night was not interesting at all. 5. I visited a scientist whose _______ name is known all over the country.
6. Do you like the book ________ whose cover is yellow? 7. I still remember the day _______ when I first came to this school. where 8. I visited the farm ________a lot of cows were raised . 9. Please tell me the reason _____ why you missed the plane. 10. I will never forget the days ____________ that / which we spent together.
Non-restrictive Attributive clauses 非限制性定语从句
注意点： a. 非限制性定从前面有逗号； b. which可以指代前面整个主句; c. 关系代词不能用“that”； d. 关系词不能省略。
§ In Non-restrictive Attributive Clause, we can use “which” to refer to the whole main clause of the sentence.
1. He failed in the final exam, which made his father very angry. 2. She came back to China, which surprised me a lot. 3. The result turned out to be good, which we hadn’t expected.
§ We can use all/ some/ most/both/part of+ whom/ which to express a complete or partial quantity.
1. Many people, some of whom are not overweight, are going on diets.
2. China has hundreds of islands, the largest of which is Taiwan. 3. I have two books, both of which were bought in America.
Let’s finish the given exercises on Pages 49.
1. Jane received an invitation from her boss, C came as a surprise. _____ A.it B. that C. which D. he 2. I like Nanjing, ______ B has many famous places of interest. A. where B. which C. when D. in which
A 3. My mother often goes to gym, ______ she works out to keep fit. A. where B. which C. when D. that C is good 4. She has two daughters, _____ at music. A. neither of them B. either of them C. neither of whom D. but either of whom
5. I spent my holiday beside the sea, _____ B I played with the small girl. A. in which B. during which C. which D. that C the top is 6. This is a high mountain, _____ always covered by snow. A. whose B. on which C. of which D. that
7. The brave man, _____ C the tiger was shot, is a good hunter. A. of whom B. by that C. by whom D. by which
C he 8. The clever boy made a hole in the wall, _____ could see what it was going on inside the house. A. on which B. at which C. through which D. in which
9. There are two thousand students in our school, _____ D are girls. A. two-thirds in which B. two-thirds in them C. two-thirds of them D. of whom two thirds 10. I have bought two ball-pens, _____ C writes well. A. neither of them B. none of them C. neither of which D. none of which