Unit 3 Computers
第一卷（共 60 分） 一、单项选择 (每小题 1 分，共计 10 分)
1. ---- who ，_____， is the most popular teacher in our school? ---- I think it’s Mr.Zhang. A. first of all B. in your
opinion C. more or less D. in all
2. Our desks _____ wood and this kind of paper for copying _____ wood too. A. make of…makes from C. make from…makes of B. are made from…is made of D. are made of … is made from
3. How about the two of us _____ the flowers in the garden? A. to water B. water C. watering D. will water
4. They spent as many hours as they could _____ their lessons. A. to study B. studying C. study D. studied
5. _____ a League Member, I should do all ______ I can to help others. A. As…/ B. For… that C. Because of… which D. As… what
6. We all agree him on _____ he suggested. A. what B. that C. how D. why
7. The difficulty we now meet with is _____ we can persuade him to tell the truth. A. whether B. that C. what D. how
8. There was something wrong with his watch and this is ____ he was late. A. how B. which C. what D. why
9. He got seriously ill at the age of five. Later he couldn’t see anything at all. He was ______ blind. A. nearly B. totally C. especially D. probably
10. Inspired by his scientific curiosity ( 好奇心 ) , Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the telephone, went on to ______ other new inventions, including the photo phone in 1880. A. produce B. create C. work D. do
二、 阅读下面一段短文，用所给动词的正确形式填空。 （每题 2 分，共 20 分）
第 1 页 共 9 页
A new computer (11)_______ (buy) by the CAAC. It joins all the offices of the CAAC in and out of China. It (12)_____ (use) to record the tickets which passengers buy. It also (13)______ (keep) record of the date on which they (14)____ (travel). Now it is possible (15) ____ (find) out much faster which planes are full and which planes still have free seats on them.(16) ____ (thank) to the new computer, passengers at the offices of the CAAC can now buy their plane tickets much faster. At one time, there were long queues of people (17)____ (wait) outside the CAAC offices. You might not have been able to buy your ticket until three days before you (18) ____ (travel). Now it is much easier to make plans for your trips. The information on the computer (19) _____ (can use) by all the CAAC offices. There are offices in 200 cities in China and also in 70 cities abroad. Travelers and business people both at home and abroad (20)___ (greatly help) by this new computer. As a result, the number of people who travel by plane in China is larger than ever before.
三、完形填空 （每题 1 分，共 20 分） Many television programmes are very realistic. One who watches TV often __21_ that whatever happened in the film could _ 22__ happen to him. With only__23__ imagination, every man in the street becomes a thief, __24__ , or a murderer. Jane had been watching a spy film at a friend's house. In it, a young girl had been followed and was murdered. She felt a little frightened __25__ to the station. She took the train back to the centre of the city. There were a tot of people traveling , so she fell much __26 __ . She looked round at the other people in the train. A nm sitting opposite her, __27__ a newspaper, took a quick look at her. She thought __28__ of it until she saw him staring at her. Remembering __29__ and feeling very uncomfortable, she got out of the train and went to the bus stop. When he got on __30__ bus as she did, she felt that he was following her. As long as she had been with other people she had not been frightened, but when she __31__ the bus, the streets were almost __32__ . She walked as quickly as she __33__ . She could hear footsteps following her but she dared not __34__ back. After what seemed to have been hours, but was in fact a few __35__ , she reached the front door. She felt for keys, but was unable to find them, __36__ she was so frightened. The footsteps __37__ behind her. She felt a hand on her shoulder. Instead of feeling hands round her neck, however, she heard a __38__ voice.
第 2 页 共 9 页
"I __39__ if I frightened you. I'm your new neighbour, l thought I __ 40__ you on the train, but I wasn't sure." 21. A. finds 22. A very 23. A. little 24. A, a spy 25. A. flying 26. A. happier 27. A. publishing 28. A. something 29. A. the thief 30. A. the same 31. A. got on 32. A. crowded 33. A. possible 34. A. smile 35. A. months 36. A. when 37. A. started 38. A. excited 39. A. feel sad 40. A. knew B. feels B. quite B. a little B. a prisoner B. working B. safer B. reporting B. everything B. the film B. a different B. got off B. empty B. was possible B. look B. days B. until B. went on B. beautiful B. mean well B. saw C. knows C. well C. few C. an actor C. running C. more pleased C. reading C. nothing C. the newspaper C. the other C. broke away from C. busy C. can C. see C. minutes C. before C. stopped C. frightened C. apologize C. recognized D. believes D. hardly D. a few D. a film star D. walking D. more comfortable D. watching D. anything D. the friend D. another D. got rid of D. free D. could D. bring D. seconds D. because D. left D. pleasant D. beg D. met
四、 阅读理解 （每题 2 分，共 20 分） (A) In Kansas City, Missouri, a computer helps fire fighters. The computer, which works very fast, has information about all the 350,000 street addresses in the city. Within two or three seconds after a call is received, the computer provides necessary information for the fire fighters. The information is then sent to them by radio from the computer centre in the City Hall. The exact place of the burning building and its size, type and any other details are clear to them. The Kansas City computer system also has a medical record of each of the city's 900 fire
第 3 页 共 9 页
fighters. This kind of information is especially useful when a fire fighter is injured. With the information, doctors at hospital can treat the injured fire fighters more quickly and easily. The fire fighters themselves greatly appreciate (感激) the computer's help. They know about possible danger ahead of them and can prepare for it. Many times the computer information helps to save lives and property (财产). Sometimes the lives are those of fire fighters themselves. Mike Horan, a fire fighter captain, says, "I feel as if the computer is watching over me to help me if I get hurt." 41. Which of the following is the best title of the text? A. Large Computers in Kansas, Missouri. C. Important Information for Fire Fighters. B. Computers Help Fire Fighters. D. The Speed of the Computers.
42. What is the best help if you want to know the information about the street address in Kansas? A. The fire fighter. C. The computer. B. The policeman. D. The map.
43. The fire fighters can get information about a burning place which is sent by A. the radio C. the City Hall B. the computer D. the centre of the city
44. Why can the doctors treat the fire fighters quickly and easily? A. The hospital has a very good computer. B. The fire fighters can know about possible danger early. C. The computers can prepare everything for them. D. Medical records in the computers help them a lot. 45. From Mike Horan's words, we can learn that the fire fighters themselves A. are being taken care of by the computers B. have been saved by the computers many times C. always get hurt in saving people's lives D. are trying hard to stop a fire burning (B) Bill Gates was born on October 28th, 1955. He and his two sisters grew up in Seattle. Their father, William H. Gates II, was a Seattle attorney (律师). Mary Gates, their late mother, was a
第 4 页 共 9 页
school teacher. Gates attended public elementary school before moving on to the private Lakeside School in North Seattle. It was at Lakeside that Gates began his career in personal computer soft- ware, programming computers at age 13. In 1973, Gates entered Harvard University as a freshman, where he lived down the hall from Steve Ballmer, who is now Microsoft's president. While at Harvard, Gates developed a version (版 本) of the programming language BASIC for the first microcomputer---the MITS Astair. In his junior year, Gates dropped out of Harvard to devote his energies full-time to Microsoft, a company he had started in 1975 with his boyhood friend Paul Allen. Guided by a belief that the personal computer would be a valuable tool on every office desk-top and in every home, they began developing software for personal computers. Gates' foresight and vision have led to the success of Microsoft and the software industry. He plays an important role in the technical development of new products. Much of his time is devoted to meeting with customers and staying in contact with Microsoft employees around the world through e-mail. In the dozen years since Microsoft went public, Gates has donated more than $ 800 mil- lion to charities (慈善机构), including $ 200 million to the Gates Library Foundation to help libraries in North America take advantage of new technologies and the Information Age. 46. Where did Bill Gates begin his career in personal computer software? A. At public elementary school. C. At Harvard University. 47. Why did he drop out of Harvard? A. To change school. C. To find a full-time job. B. To spend all his energies to Microsoft. D. To earn money. B. At the private Lakeside School. D. At Microsoft Company.
48. Why did they begin developing software for the personal computer? A. Because they thought the personal computer would be welcomed by every family. B. Because they thought the personal computer would be a valuable tool on every office desk-top. C. Because they thought the personal computer would be a valuable tool on every office desk-top and in every home.
第 5 页 共 9 页
I). Because personal computers have been popular. 49. How does Gates spend much of his time? A. Meeting with people. B. Travelling around the world.
C. E-mailing some friends. D. Meeting with customers and e-mailing Microsoft employees. 50. What does the word "donated" mean? A. Gave. B. Earned. C. Made. D. Received.
第二卷（共 80 分）
一、单词填空。 （从方框中选择合适的词组并用其正确形式填入下面的句子中，使句子的 意思完整。 （每题 2 分，共 20 分） with the help of watch over make up after all have…in common so …that… go by deal with in a way
1. She didn’t want to go to the party, so she ____ an excuse. 2. Lili and Lucy are twins, and they ___ much ____. 3. ______ his teacher, he had made greater progress in his English. 4. The new teacher is fresh from university, he really doesn’t know how to ____ his badly behaved students. 5. Well, the story is too much for Mary. She can’t understand, ___, she’s only two. 6. As time ______, the little girl is getting prettier and prettier. 7. ________, his biology has improved, but there is still a long way to go. 8. They told me it would be cheap, but _____ it cost me nearly $500. 9. He was _____ angry _______ he left the room without saying a word. 10. The driver hurt in the accident _______ in hospital all the time by the doctor yesterday. 二、句型转换 （每题 2 分，共 10 分） 1.Tom has changed much.. I can’t recognize him at the first sight. Tom has changed ______ much _____ I can’t recognize him at the first sight. 2. We have written a lot of e-mails on the computer in the past year. A lot of e-mails _____ _______ ______ on the compute in the past year by us. 3. As the years have gone on, computers have been made smaller and smaller. As the years have gone on, people ______ _____ computers smaller and smaller.
第 6 页 共 9 页
4. He is so strong that he can carry the heavy box. He is _____ a ______ boy ____ he can carry the heavy box. 5. Luckily, I’d bought a new computer, I would have failed to finish my novel without it. Luckily, I’ d bought a new computer ____ ____ I would have failed to finish my novel. 三、用括号所给的词组翻译句子。 （每题 4 分，共 20 分） 1. 你能很容易地通过因特网与世界各地的人们进行交流。(communicate with) _____________________________________________________________________. 2. 电脑公司喜爱编制一些新程序来代替旧的。(make up) _____________________________________________________________________. 3. 这种电脑是专门为师生设计的。(design) _____________________________________________________________________. 4. 在电脑的帮助下，你会发现分享信息是不难的。(with the help of ) _____________________________________________________________________. 5. 为每位老师购置一台电脑要花费很多钱，但这很值得。(after all) _____________________________________________________________________. 四、书面表达（共 30 分） 请根据以下内容，写一则书面通知，词数：100 左右。 1、事项：计算机的用途和使用网络进行学习专题讲座。 2、主讲：北京大学计算机系张玲教授。 3、时间：6 月 14 日（星期五）上午 9：00。 4、地点：教学楼 5 楼会议室。 5、参加人员：电脑爱好者。 6、要求：事先准备好部分学习问题，向张教授请教。 7、主办：团委。 8、写通知时间：6 月 12 日（星期三）
第 7 页 共 9 页
:第一卷 1---5 BBCBA 6—10 ADDDB 12. is used 13. keeps 19. can be used 14. will travel 15. to find
11. has been bought 16. Thanks
17. waiting 18. travelled
20. have been greatly helped
21---25 DCBAD 26---30 BCCBA 41---45 BCADA 46—50 BBCDA 第二卷 一.1. made up 2. have…in common 6. goes by 二.1.so…that… 7. In a way
31---35 BBDBC 36---40 DCDCC
3. With the help of
4. deal with
5. after all
8. in fact
9. so…that… 10 was being watched over 3. have made
2. have been written
5. without which
三.1. You can easily communicate with people all over the world by Internet. 2. Computer companies love making up some new programmes to replace the old ones. 3. This kind of computer is specially designed for the teachers and students. 4. With the help of computers, you’ll find it not difficult to share information. 5. It costs much to buy a computer for each teacher, but after all, it is well worth doing so. 四. Notice Jun.12th, Wednesday Professor Zhang Ling from the Computer Department of Beijing University will come to our school to give us a talk on June 14th, Friday. He is going to talk about the use of computer and how to learn through the Internet. The lecture is to begin at 9:00 am in the meeting room, which is on the fifth floor of the teaching building. Those who are interested in computers are welcome to take an active part in it. You are required to prepare your questions in computer study before hand. Professor Zhang will leave you some time for your questions. Don’t forget to be there on time! The League Committee
第 8 页 共 9 页
第 9 页 共 9 页