Book II---unitII The Olympic Games
一、知识重点 1. the ancient Olympic Games 古代奥运会
2. compete in …compete with other countries for world market 与其它国家竞争国际市场 compete in a race 参加赛跑 co
mpete with [against] sb. for sth. 与某人竞争而获得某物 Our Greek cities used to compete against each other just for the honour of winning.我们希腊各个 城市之间曾经为了荣誉而彼此之间相互竞争。
3. take part in 参加 We all had to take part in the training run, with nobody excepted. 我们大家都得参加跑步训练, 无人例外.
4. What do the five rings on the Olympic flag stand for? 奥运旗帜上的五环代表什么？ stand for 代表；表示；主张；支持；拥护；容忍；允许 What does "ESL" stand for? "ESL"代表什么? I won't stand for his insults any longer. 我再不能容忍他的污辱了。
5. the official mascots for the Beijing Olympics 北京奥运会吉祥物 Fuwa，the Official Mascots of Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, carry a message of friendship ,peace and good wishes from China to children all over the world. 福娃是北京 2008 年第 29 届奥运会吉祥物， 它们向世界的孩子们传达友谊、 和平和良好的祝 福。
6. come on a magical journey 做梦幻之游 come on (表劝说，鼓励等)来吧，走吧；开始 His French has come on a lot since he joined the conversation class. 他自从参加了会话班，法语取得了很大进步。
7. （a） volunteer for (……志愿者)志愿做…… Don't volunteer for more than you can handle. 别做力不能及的事情。 I want to be a volunteer for 2008 Beijing Olympics. 我想成为 2008 年北京奥运会的志愿者。
8. I lived in what you call “Ancient Greece” and used to write about the Olympics a long time ago 我生活在你们所说的“古希腊”，我曾经写过很久以前奥林匹克运动会的情况。 We used to keep in touch with each other by writing letters.我们过去常写信联系对方。 I am used to reading stories to my daughter every night and she enjoys it.我习惯了每天给女儿讲 故事，她也非常喜欢这样做。 Wood can be used to make furniture. 木头能用来做家具。 There used to be a temple at the place where our school stands now.在我们学校所在之处过去有 一座庙。 9. …and both are held every four years on a regular basis. 两个都是定期每四年举行一次。 on a regular basis 定期地 He comes to visit us on a regular basis. 他定期来看望我们。
10. Only atheletes who have reached the agreed standard for their event will be admitted as competitors. 只有达到他们各自项目统一标准的运动员才会被接受参见奥运会。 I am sure that he will be admitted to Beijing University this summer. 我肯定他今年夏天将被北 京大学录取。 This ticket admits two people to the football match. 这张票可供两人入场看足球赛。 The cinema admits about 2000 people.这座电影院大约可坐 2000 人。 The rules and regulations admit of no other explanation.这些规章制度不容许有其他解释。 His illness admits of no delay.他的病不容拖延。 He never admits that he is wrong. 他从不承认自己错了。 John has admitted breaking the window. 约翰已承认打碎了窗子。
11. It is in the Summer Olympics that you have the running races, together with swimming, sailing, and all the team sports.跑步、游泳、划船和所有团队项目是在夏季奥运会上进行的。
12. No other counries could join in, nor could slaves or women. 别的国家不能参加，奴隶和 妇女也不能参加。
13. Women are not only allowed, but play a very important role in gymnastics…妇女不仅允 许参加，而且她们还在体操比赛项目中起着非常重要的作用。
14. as well 也；又；同样 as well as (除...之外)也,既...又 conj. 以及,又
I write my own songs and I play the guitar as well. 我唱自己谱曲的歌，也弹吉他。 A teacher should entertain as well as teach.教师不仅要教书，也要激起学生的兴趣。 15 There is as much competition among countries to host the Olympics as to win Olympic medals.国与国之间争取奥运会承办权的竞争就跟争夺奥运奖牌一样地激烈。
16. So even the olive wreath has been replaced. 就连橄榄枝花环也被取代了。 David will replace Mike in next week’s tennis competition. 大卫将代替迈克参加下周的网球 赛。 The broken parts of the machine must be replaced, otherwise we can’t continue our work. 这些损害的机器部件必须得换，否则我们无法继续工作。 I have owned my car for almost ten years. This year I’ll replace it with a new one. 我的汽车 用了差不多十年了，今年我要换一辆新车。 Would you replace the magazine after reading it? 读完杂志后把它放回原处好么？
17. Put forward your ideas and give reasons for your choice. 提出你的观点并给出你选择的 原因。put forward 呈上；提出；提前；拨快(钟表)
Two advices of design are put forward. 提出了两点设计建议。 The reason for this is that this plane is also a bicycle. 其原因是,这架飞机又是一辆自行车。 reason with sb. for [against] sth. 因赞成[反对]...同某人讲道理[辩论] reason sb. out of his prejudice 说服某人消除成见 reason sb. into accepting a proposal 说服某人接受建议
18. be in/under sb’s charge 管理 in charge of 负责 These books were left in your charge. 这些书由你管理。 The chief engineer was in charge of directing the building of the subway. 主任工程师负责指挥 地铁的建造工程。 I was in charge of my sister. 我在照看我妹妹。 This ward is in [under]the charge of Dr Green. 这间病房是由格林大夫负责的。 How much did he charge you for repairing the bicycle? 他修理自行车收了你多少钱? Do you charge for the use of the office telephone at off-duty time? 下班时间打办公电话你们收
不收费? The boy charged into the room. 男孩冲进屋里。 Suddenly the wild animal charged at us. 突然那头野兽朝我们冲过来。 Those young men were charged by the police with causing a disturbance in the neighbourhood. 警察指控那些青年人在这一带犯了扰乱治安罪。 She charged me to look after her daughter. 她要我负责看管她的女儿。 19. physical exercise 体育锻炼 Physical fitness is having a strong healthy body. 身体健康就是有一个强壮健康的身体。 physical change 物理变化 physical education 体育
20. rise to one’s feet 站起来，立起。
21. She was in front in her race when another competitor pushed her on purpose so that she fell down. 她在比赛中跑在前面，突然另外一个运动员故意推了她一下，结果她摔倒了。
22. take responsibility for…对……负有责任，负起对……的责任
23. If you are discovered, you will be fined. 如果被发现，你将被罚款。 He was fined 200 dollars for violation of traffic regulation. 他因违反交通规则被罚款 200 美 元。
24. win glory for sb. 为某人赢得荣誉 We must try to win glory for our school!我们必须设法为母校争光。
25. make a bargain with sb. 与某人成交
26. promise to do sth. 答应做某事
He has promised to behave better henceforth. 他答应从今以后要表现得好些。 She promised her brother that she would write to him. 她答应弟弟将给他写信。 This year promises to be another good one for harvests. 今年看来又是个丰收年。 Remember to carry out your promise . 记住要履行诺言。 He broke his promise and did not come to see me. 他不遵守诺言，没来看我。 The news brings little promise of peace. 这消息使和平无望。
27. She practised running to compete in the Olympic Games. 为了参加奥运会她练习跑步。
28. Atlanta married him and lived happily ever after. Atlanta 和他结了婚，从那以后幸福地 生活。
29. one after another 一个接一个地 Difficulties arise one after another.困难相继出现.
30. deserve to do sth 理应做，值得做 deserve attention [sympathy] 值得注意[同情] deserve to be rewarded [punished] 该奖[罚] If you do wrong, you deserve punishment. 你如做错事, 应当受罚。
31. Apart from playing at school I go to sports school every weekend. 除了在学校踢球之外，我每周末都去体校。 She keeps herself apart from (ie does not mix with) other people. 她与别人保持距离（不与别人 混在一起）. It's a good piece of work, apart from a few slight faults. 除了一些小缺点之外，这不失为一件漂 亮的工作。 32. I especially like playing on the wing like Beckham but being a striker is good as well. 我 尤其喜欢像贝克汉姆一样踢边锋，但是当一名射球手一样好。 Dance and sing, Time's on the wing.跳吧，唱吧，光阴似箭。
33. be active in 积极于 34. This is important because the more you speak English, the better your English will become.这很重要因为你说英语越多，你的英语水平就会变得越好。
35. Don’t be shy about making mistakes.别害怕犯错误。
36. In this way you will become confident in speaking English. 这样你就会对说英语充满信 心。 One has to be confident in himself. 一个人一定要对自己有信心。
二、练习 一）单词拼写 1.He is h_______, and he never tells lies. 2.In a________times, women were not allowed to c________ in the Olympics. 3.Before writing the report, he decided to i________ some people first. 4.When asked, he a_______ stealing the necklace. 5.There is a s_______ being built in our city. 6. The g________ being built in our school will be finished next month. 7. He is such a person that nobody can r_______ him. 8. At the beginning of each term, we will have a p________ examination. 9. I cannot r______ what he did to what he said. 10. To improve the sale of their product, they a________ them in the newspapers and on TV. 11. No one can be so f_______ to do such a thing, except that he is a fool. 12. Father p_______ to buy me a computer if I do well in the final examination. 13. At the sports meeting, all the a_______ tried their best to get the g______ m______. 二）请根据中文意思完成下列句子。 1．他已经答应给我买辆汽车。 He has ________ me to buy me a car. 2．没有什么东西能取代母爱的。 Nothing can _________ a mother’s love. 3． 我们英语老师对我们既亲切又友好。Our English teacher is friendly ____ _______ _____ kind to us. 4． 昨天他参加比赛了。He _________ ____ the game yesterday. 5．我们吵架是很愚蠢的。 It would be __________ for us to quarrel. 6．老实说，你并没有尽力。— ——— —————， you didn’t do your best. 7．在那书架上有一套鲁迅的小说。 There was ___ ______ _______ Lu Xun’s novels on the shelf. 8. 他承认做错了事。 He_______ having done wrong. 9．他参加了罢工。He ______ ______ ____ the strike. 10．他和他的父母将要去度假。 He ____ _____ _____ his parent was going out for a holiday. 11．学生一个接着一个走出教室。 The students went out of the classroom _____ _______ _____________. 三）单项选择 1. -----It is said that the famous cyclist_________his parents is to visit our city next week. ------I heard the news _________. A.and; too. B as well as; as well. C as well as; as well as; D with; either
Would you like to_______the 2008 Olympic Games______in Beijing? A. join; hold. B. join in; will be held.
C. take part in; which will hold. D. take part in; which will be held. 3. I go to visit Mr Li who is living in the country every_______weeks. A. other; B. fourth; C. a few; D. few.
4. He plays football_________, if not better than John. A. as well; B. as well as; C. so well; D. so well as. 5. Sandy could do nothing but ________to his teacher that he was wrong. A. admit. B. admitted C. admitting. D. to admit 6. I finally got the job I dreamed about. Never in all my life _______so happy! A. did I feel; B. I felt. C. I had felt. D. had I felt. 7. I was ______by the _____news of George’s sudden death. A. amazed; amazing. B. amazing; amazed. C. upset; surprised. D. surprised; upset.
8.It was lucky for him to be admitted______the dream university he had longed for. A. as B. to. C. with. D. for
9. The headmaster, as well as some teachers and students_________to visit the sick students in hospital this afternoon. A. is going. B are going. C. had gone. D. have gone 10. The girl is ______jobs for she is not satisfied with the present one. A. advertising. B. advertising for. C. advertising in D. advertising to 11. I’m sure he______in the new kindergarten. A. will be taken good care. B. will be taken good care of C. will take care D. will take care of.
12. Hundreds of jobs ________if the factory closes. A. lose. B. will be lost. C. are lost. D. will lose 13. ----Nancy is not coming again----But she_________ A. promises. B promised; C. will promise. D. had promised
14. She reached the top of the hill and stopped_____on a big rock by the side of the path. A. to have rested. B. resting. C. to rest. D. rest 15. My uncle____until he was forty-five. A. married. B. didn’t marry. C.was not marrying. D. would marry. 16 ----. How long_____you ____? ------For five years. We _______ in 2001 A. have; been married; got married. B. did; marry; got married; C. have got married; married. D. were; married; married.
17. _________straight on and you’ll see a church.. You won’t miss it. A. Go. B. Going. C. If you go. D. When going
18. They will celebrate their _______ wedding anniversary next Laber Day. A. gold. B. golden. C. goldfish. D. gold rush.
19. ----Do you know Jim quarrelled with his brother? -------- I don’t know, __________. A. nor don’t I care. B. nor do I care. C. I don’t care neither. D. I don’t care also.
20. They are _____ clever children that they can do it by themselves A. so B. such. C. as D. too.
（一） 1. honest 2. ancient,. compete 5. stadium 6gymnasium 7. replace 11. foolish （二） 12. promised 8. physical
9. relate 10. advertise
13. athletes, gold, medals
1. promised 2. replace 3. as well as 4. competed in 6. foolish 7. a set of 8. admitted 9. took part in 10.as well as 11. one after another （三）
1-10 BDDBA DABAB 11-20 BBBCB AABBB