Unit 1 Body Language
Reading 1. Teaching content: Reading A Body Language 2. Teaching aims: 1) Ss can understand the article 2) Ss are able to understand and use the key phrases: Prefer…
to …, go to sb for help, hold…up, without doing, 3) To help Ss practice some reading skills 3. Teaching difficulty: Analyze the article 4. Procedures: Step 1: Before-reading 1) Present the unit topic Do you know why people don’t want to talk with him? 2) Present new words: sigh, gesture, hesitate, remind, cheerfully 3) Present the general idea of the article Step 2: While-reading 1) Look at the picture and finish A1 2) Skimming: What is the problem in the article? 3) Scanning: 1> How did Debbie greet the old lady? 2> Who helped Simon to find out the problem? 3> According to Chris, what is the Simon’s problem? 4> How did Simon treat customers after Simon’s help? 4) Read the article by themselves 5) Fill in the table. The performance when they see the customers Debbie 1. She holds(A)_________ up. 2. She looks at people’s (B)________ 3. She smiles before(C)_________to them. Simon 1. He often (D)________ his head on his hand. 2. He looks (E)________. 3. He never (F)________. 4.He doesn’t turn his head or (G)______towards people.
Step 3: Post-reading 1) Do A4 2) Read Para2—para11 in roles Step 4: Drills 1) 这部电视剧给我留下了深刻的印象。 This play _______ _______ _______ ________ _____ me. 2) 得到这样的机会实属难得。 It is hard to ________ ______ _______ _______. 3) He always has a c________ expression on his face. He is a sunny boy. 4) He h_________ for a long time because he was not sure. 5) Teachers often r_____ us that we should show r_____ to our parents. 6) Pointing your fingers at others is a bad g______.
Useful expressions: 1) look up/look down 向上/向下看 2) walk over to sb. 向某人走过去 3) greet sb. cheerfully = greet sb. in a cheerful way 欢快地与某人打招呼 4) What’s up? = What happened?= What’s wrong? = What’s the matter? 怎么回事？ 5) prefer … to …= like…better 相对…更喜欢… (相关短语 prefer doing…to doing… prefer to do…rather than do…) 6) get a chance to do sth. 得到机会做某事 7) give/leave sb. a good impression=make a good impression on sb. 给某人留下一个好印象 8) hold…up 抬起来 9) go to sb. for help=ask sb. for help 向某人求助 10) remind sb. about sth. 提醒某人关于某事 Reading B Eye contact
1. Teaching content: Reading B 2. Teaching aims: 1) Ss can understand the article 2) Ss are able to understand and use the key phrases: As a matter of fact, consider … as , be considered +adj, avoid doing 3) To help Ss practice some reading skills 3. Teaching difficulty: Analyze the article 4. Procedures: Step 1: Before-reading Revise the story in Reading A and recall the differences between Debbie and Simon’s body language in the beginning. Which body part can tell others most about you? Do B1 orally. Present new words: confused, frequent, avoid, authority Step 2: While-reading 1. Skimming(略读): The article is about ______________. A. making eye contact B. avoiding eye contact C. A & B 2. Scanning:（扫读）True (T) or false (F) ( )1>. Eye contact means the same in different cultures. ( )2>. Westerners think a lack of eye contact shows a lack of love. ( )3>. In most Asian countries, avoiding eye contact shows respect. ( )4>. We may easily cause problems if we don’t understand the different meanings of body language. ( )5>.We should stare at others when we are talking. 3. Further reading Answer the questions on P4 Step 3: Post-reading 1. Read the article after the tape. 2. Retell the article with proper words. Mankind has used body language to c__________ with each other for a long time. Eye
c_______ is one of the most important f______. It is the key to s________ communication. It can show our d________ feelings. In western cultures, such as Greece, their eye contact is very f_______. However, in Asian countries, a_________ eye contact shows respect when they talk with somebody in a_____ or with e_______. So we should pay attention to correct eye contact according to the different c_________. Useful expressions: 1) the key to… …的关键 2) as a matter of fact = in fact 事实上 3) consider …as… 把…看作是… 4) stand/be close to 站得/离…近 5) show respect to sb. 对…表示尊重 6) in authority/in concentration 7) be considered + adj. 被认为… 8) stare at sb. 盯着/凝视… Listening Edited by Jessie 1. Teaching aims: A is to identify descriptive words B is to read body language 2. Difficulties: the position of adjectives and the usage of doing 3. Procedures: Step 1: Pre-listening A (Present new words: descriptive, ballet, movement, stage, entertainment) Review articles, linking verbs and possessives. Step2: While-listening Fill in the blanks while listening. Step 3: Post-listening 1) Check up the answers. 2) Analyze phrases: be of …height and build dance on points Step 4: Pre-listening B (Present new words: cross, rub, rapidly, anxious, reasonable, chin, repeat, scratch, outgoing, itch ) Ask some students to say something using their body language and the others to read the body language at the meanwhile. Step5 While-listening: finish the T or F questions. Step 6: Post –listening Check the answers and remember the phrases: for a start, feel like doing, be careful about, have an itch 一、单词拼写： 1. It says you should watch people’s g________ to understand them better. 2. When they c_______ arms, it means they don't trust you. 3. People r______ their hands together r________ if they are excited. 4. That sounds r__________. 5. People sometimes hold their c______ when they are c__________ hard. 6. It could mean they don’t understand me. So I should r______ myself.
7. When people s_______ their nose. It often means they are l______. 8. D______ the shoulders shows someone doesn’t feel like t_______. 9. They might not be very o________ ,so you should encourage them to reply. 10. If someone scratches their nose, they might just have an i____. 二．翻译词组： 1.有……身高和体型___________________________________ 2.用脚尖儿跳舞 ______________________________________ 3.首先，开始 _____________________________________ 4.想要 _____________________________________ 5. 小心；谨慎 ______________________________________ 6. 发痒 ______________________________________ 二、完成句子 1. 坐直意味着一个人很有信心。______________________________________ 2.端着手臂意味着他们很焦虑。 ______________________________________ Useful expressions: 1) be of …height and build 具有…样的身高和体型 2) at an early age 在小小年纪时 3) dance on points 在脚尖上跳舞 4) give messages 给出信息 5) an article in the newspaper 报纸上的一篇文章 6) sound reasonable 听起来合理 7) feel like doing sth. 想要做某事 8) be careful about doing sth. 小心做某事 Language 动名词做主语、宾语，介词＋动名词 一、动名词做主语的用法 1. 动名词做主语往往表示经常性、习惯性的动作，在口语中也可以表示具体的动作。如： Painting is his hobby．绘画是他的爱好。 Worrying makes exams worse. 2. 动名词做主语和不定式做主语一样，也可以用 it 作形式主语。如： It is no use talking without doing．光说不做没有用。 【考例】 —What do you think made Mary so unhappy？ — __________ her new bicycle． A．As she lost B．Lost C．Losing D．Because of losing
该题正确选项为 C，losing her new bicycle 是句子的主语，谓语 made her so upset 被省略， losing．．．在此表示具体的动作。
二、动名词作宾语的用法 1．有些动词或短语动词后常用动名词作宾语。如 admit，appreciate，avoid，can't stand（不 能忍受），consider，delay，de- vote．．．to，dislike enjoy，escape，excuse，feel like，finish， forgive，get down to，give up，imagine，insist on，keep（on），look forward to，mention， mind，miss（错过），pay attention to，practice， put off，stick to，suggest 等等。 【考例】 I can't imagine __________ that with them． A．do B．to do C．being done D．doing
该题正确选项为 D 4．在 begin，continue，love，like，hate，prefer，intend，start 后用动名词和用不定式作宾 语均可，意义没有多大区别。 5．动词 forget，go on ，mean ，regret， remember，stop，try，be used to，can't help 后跟 动名词和跟不定式区别较大，须注意。 forget，regret，remember 后跟动名词，动名词表示已经发生的动作；后跟不定式表示将要 发生的动作。 go on 后跟动名词表示―继续做原来做的事‖；后跟不定式表示―接着做另一件事‖。 mean 后跟动名词表示―意味着要做某事‖；后跟不定式表示―想要做某事‖。 stop 后跟动名词表示―停止做某事‖；后跟不定式表示―停下来（别的事）开始做某事‖。 try 后跟动名词表示―试着做某事‖；后跟不定式表示―努力做某事‖。 be used to 后跟动名词表示―习惯于做某事‖；后跟不定式表示―被用来做某事‖。 can't help 后跟动名词表示―禁不住做某事‖；后跟不定式表示―不能帮助做某事‖。 【考例】 —Let's have a rest． —Not now．I don't want to stop __________ yet．（MET 1985） A．study B．to study C．for studying D．studying
该题正确选项为 D，stop studying 意为―停止学习‖。 三. 介词后面的动词要加 ing（如把动词直接放在介词后面，就必须用动名词形式） He is good at diving． He left without paying his bill． The runner fell and hurt his left leg but he quickly got up and went on ______ （run）． How about ______ （skate）this afternoon？
We are all interested in ______ （play）games． Are you enjoying ______ （live）on the fifth floor？
choose the correct answers:
1. The thief took away the woman’s wallet without________. A. being seen B. seeing C. him seeing D. seeing him 2. No one can avoid ______ by advertisements. A. to be influenced B. being influenced C. influencing
D. having influenced
3. Remembered ____the door , the thing will not be stolen. A. to lock B. locking C. to have locked D. having locked 4. He is very busy _____ his papers . He is far too busy ________ callers. A. to write, to receive B. writing; to receive C. writing; receiving D. to write; for receiving 5. Please stop ______ , boys. I have something important to _______ you. A. saying; talk B. telling; say C. talking...speak D. talking; tell 6. I don’t mind _____ by bus, but I hate ______ in queues. A. to travel; standing B. having traveled; standing C. traveling; to stand D. traveling; standing 7.__________ a language requires time and effort. A. Learn B. Learning C. To learn D. Being learned
8. -―What’s made you so upset?‖ - ―_________ three tickets to the pop music concert.‖ A. Lost B. Losing C. Because of losing D. Since I lost
9. It’s necessary to be prepared for a job interview.______ the answers ready will be of great help. A. To have had B. Had C. Have D. Having
10. He is looking forward to ____ his holiday in Britain. A) spend B) have spent C) spending D)having been spending
11. How can you keep the machine ____when you are away? A) run B) to run C) running D) being run
12. Do you feel like _____ out or would you rather _____ dinner at home ? A. going; to have B. to go; to have C. to go; having D. going; have
13. ” Why were you so late for work today ? ― _______ to the office was very slow this morning because of the traffic. ― A. driving B. I drove C. to drive D. That I drove
14. .It was impolite of him _____ without _____ goodbye. A. to leave; saying C. to leave; to say B. leaving; to say D. leaving; saying
15. Which do you prefer? Playing basketball or swimming? I prefer _________ to ___________. A. play basketball, swim C. playing basketball, swimming B. playing basketball, swimming D. playing basketball, swimming Speaking
Aim:1.Stress 2.Rhythm(strong and weak sounds) 3.Talk about and describe a friendly person Talk time 1.Say these words. Stress the underlined syllables. college remind authority difficulty 2.Underline the stressed syllables in each sentence. It was a wonderful year. I was deeply affected by what I saw. It’s the largest and busiest street in Beijing. London is a great city. We can look at these leaflets together then.
Speak up Write down some sentences that you describe or talk about a friendly person. _____________________________________________ _____________________________________________ _____________________________________________ _____________________________________________ _____________________________________________ Important phrases 一套_________________ 我的天哪_________________ 对某人微笑_________________ 寄信_________________ 把某物送给某人________________________________________ 你能告诉我怎么做吗? ___________________________________________________ Writing
Short message 用途：1.提醒 2.感谢 格式：1.Greeting 称呼(such as ―Dear Mr Wang‖) 2.Topic 主题（一般都写在第一段） 3.Message 内容（需简洁明了，不需要太复杂，篇幅不宜太长） 4.Closing 结尾（必须友善表达，运用 Regards, etc） 5.Signature&Date 署名及日期（日月年） 6.注意事项--- 文章内容尽量用缩写，如：I’ve , I’d 以示和谐 范文： （详见课本 P11，A） More practice 一、教学内容：P12-14 二、教学目标： 1. Talk about more about body language (继续谈论肢体语言). 2. Review the use of the –ing form (复习动名词的用法). 3. Practise reading skills and try to get the main idea by skimming or scanning (训练快速阅读技巧). 三、教学设计: Step 1. Finish Part A. Match the phrases with the pictures and write a sentence to explain what each gesture means. (搭配并解释每个姿势的意思，注意用动名词做主语，谓语动词用单数) Step 2. Presentation of Part B. Guided questions: 1. Can animals talk like humans? ______________________________________ 2. How do they show their feelings? ______________________________________ 3. Which animal is very similar to humans? ______________________________________ Step 3. Listen to Dr. Ma’s talk about body language and finish Part B1. Step 4. Read the talk again and fill in the table about animal body language. feelings or actions angry confident or proud want something greet What animals do? They _______ their teeth and ________ their backs. A cat will _______ very tall and _______ its nose into the air. Chimpanzees use the same gesture to ______ ______ food from others. Chimpanzees ________ their companion’s hand or back. They _______ their heads and ______ _______ their chins. Children _______ their hands together and _______ the bottoms up. We ________ hands or _______ our friends on the back. What humans do?
Step 5. Useful phrases:
1.翘起下巴 _________________________ 2. 与相似 _____________________________ 3. 向…乞讨，讨要 ___________________ 4. 接近，靠近 _________________________ 5. 握手 _____________________________ 6. 研究动物姿势教会我们很多 _________________________________________________ Step 6. Listen again and finish Part B2. Step 7. Guided questions of Part C: How to make a good impression in an interview? How to use your body language? Step 8. Fill in the table about ―do’s and don’ts‖ in interviews (面试中的注意事项): Step 9. Useful phrases: 1. 花费时间做某事 _______________________________________________ 2. 第一印象很重要。______________________________________________ 3. 眼神交流也很重要。____________________________________________ 4. 经常直视面试者 _______________________________________________ 5. 使某人不舒服 _________________________________________________ 6. 坐直 _________________________________________________________ 7. 以一种…的方式 _______________________________________________ 8. 给某人留下一个好印象 _________________________________________ 9. 通过微笑和点头表示尊重和兴趣 _________________________________ 10. 朝…的方向 ___________________________________________________ Useful expressions: 1) show one’s feelings with… 用…表达情感 2) push out one’s chin 翘起下巴 3) be similar to 与…相似 4) beg for sth. from sb. 向…乞讨，讨要 5) be close to 与…接近 6) shake hands with sb. 与…握手 7) give sb. some advice 给某人建议 8) spend (time) doing sth. 花费时间做某事 9) look sb. in the eye 直视某人 10) make sb. uncomfortable 使某人不舒服 11) sit up straight 坐直 12) in a lazy way 以一种懒散的方式 13) give sb. a good impression 给某人留下一个好印象 14) show respect and interest by smiling and nodding 通过微笑和点头表示尊重和兴趣 15) in the direction of 朝…的方向 16) make sure 确保 17) Watching their body language is part of my job. Shaking hands firmly is one aspect. (动名词作主语，谓动用单)