Unit 2 Grammar
Direct Speech & Indirect Speech
requests and commands
>“Make sure the door is open,” the teacher said to me. “Don’t play games in the classroom,” the monitor said to us. “Don’t smoke here, please!” she said.
直接引语为祈使句 1. 直接引语是表示命令、要求、请求的 祈使句的变化。 The hostess said to us, “Please sit down.” The hostess asked us to sit down. 转述这类祈使句时，要将祈使句的动 词原形变为带to的不定式，并在不定 式的前面根据句子的意思加上tell, ask, order等动词。
2. 如果祈使句为否定式，在不定式的前 面加not。 tell sb. to do sth. tell sb. not to do sth. “Don’t make so much noise in class, boys and girls,” said the teacher. The teacher told the boys and girls not to make so much noise in class.
3. 直接引语是表示建议的祈使句的变动。 He said, “Let’s go to the cinema.” He suggested going to the cinema. He suggested that we should go to the cinema. suggest doing sth. suggest that sb. should do (动词原形) sth. suggest后面不能用不定式suggest to do sth.
Give requests or commands according to the following situations. 1. You want to close the door, but you cannot do it by yourself. How do you do it politely? 2. You are standing in the middle of a train carriage and you need to leave. How do you do politely?
3. A bear is about to approach a boy. What do you say to him to make sure that he won’t be hurt? 4. A boss wants the secretary to type a letter for him. What will he do? 5. Your father wants you to turn off the TV. What will he do?
Rules of the game
? Step 1. Three students make up a group named student A, B and C. ? Step 2. Every group should think of at least 3 commands that your parents, teachers or other elders usually give.
? Step 3. Student A gives commands. Then student B asks student C what student A said. At last, student C should change the command from direct speech into indirect speech. ? Step 4. Change roles so each person gets the chance to give some commands and turn them into indirect speech.
student A (as a mother): Clean the window please. student B: What did your mother tell us? student C: She asked us to clean the window.
Quiz I: Multiple choice The teacher asked us ____ so much noise. (2003北京) A. don’t make B. not make C. not making D. not to make
Quiz II: Fill in the blanks. 1. “Don’t grow plants in the same place
year after year,” the farmer said.
told not to grow The farmer _____ me ____ ___ _____ plants in the same place year after year. 2. She asked the students to tidy the lab.
Tidy said “______ the lab, please,” she _____ to
Quiz III: Change the requests and the commands into indirect speeches. 1. “Shut up,” she said to him. She told him to shut up. 2. “Speak louder, please,” he said to her. “Can you speak louder?” he asked her. He asked her to speak louder. 3. “Try the lift,” she said to her. She told her to try the lift.
4. “Don’t wait for me,” he said to them. He told them not to wait for him. 5. “Stop wasting the time,” she said to him. She told him to stop wasting the time. 6. “Can you tell me a story?” the girl asked her father. The girl asked her father to tell her a story.
7. “Can you lend me a coat?” he asked me. He asked me to lend him a coat. He asked me if I could lend him a coat. 8. “Please could you come to the reception desk?” she asked him. She asked him to go to the reception desk. She asked him if he could go to the reception desk.