Unit 5 The Power of Nature （单元）教案 （人教版选修 6） Period 1 Warming up and reading Teaching goals： 1．To have the students get a general idea of natural disasters. 2．To help the students develop spea
king ability. 3．To improve the students’ reading abilities. 4．To help the students to know how to summarize a text or a paragraph. Step1 Warming up 1. Ask students to list other natural disasters, such as hurricane,earthquakes, volcano, etc. Show the pictures of these natural disasters. 2. Introduction to volcano Volcano is one of these natural disasters. We should also do something to avoid its eruption or reduce its damage to us. What do you know about volcanoes? How is a volcano formed? How does a volcano erupt? 3. Discuss about the measures that we should take to avoid natural disasters. We can find how powerful nature is and how weak humans are compared with a volcano, hurricane, earthquake or other natural disasters. But we are not completely powerless. We can take measures to protect ourselves from powerful natural forces. What measures should we take? Step2 Pre-reading If we can predict the eruption of volcanoes, we can reduce its damage to us. So we need volcanologists to study volcanoes. Do you want to be a volcanologist? Why? If you are a volcanologist, what kind of danger will you meet? （what kind of work should you do） Let’s learn something about volcanologists in the text. Step 3 Skimming 1. Read through the passage quickly and find out the answers to the questions. What kind of things should a volcanologist do? What is the volcanologist wearing when getting close to the crater? 2. Divide the passage into several parts and find out the main idea of each part. Step 4 Scanning Scan the passage . Read the passage carefully and answer the following questions. 1. Why is a volcanologist’s job important? 2. Where is Mount Kilauea? 3. Why is the lava that flows on Mount Kilauea more dangerous than the actual eruption? 4. What caused the writer’s bedroom to become as bright as day even though it was night? 5. Why did the scientists have to get close to the volcano after it began erupting? 6. Why was it difficult for the writer to walk towards the edge of the crater?
7. What does the writer find impressive about volcanoes even after studying them for 20 years? Step 5 Discussion T1 Do you think it is an occupation you would enjoy? Discuss your reasons with your classmates. T2 Interview Make up an interview. Four students as a group. One student acts as the writer of the passage. The other three students act as the journalists from three different TV stations. Step 6 Homework: Spend some time researching one disaster. You can use books, magazines, newspapers or the Internet. Collect pictures and diagram and look for information about: ? what causes this kind of disaster ? actual events that happened in the past in china and/or the rest of the world ? how people helped the victims ? what is being done to prevent the disaster happening again or to lessen the damage Period 2 Learning about Language Teaching goals： 1. To help the students to learn how to use words and expressions. 2. To review the V-ing form and learn the perfect V-ing form. Step 1 Discover useful words and expressions 1. Show the video of an episode of Vesuvius eruption and ask students to fill in the text with proper words. The eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD took people in Pompeii by surprise. It was so quick and so severe that the town was soon covered in ________ and ________. Many houses in the town were ________. It was an ________ disaster for many people who could not get away in time. A writer named Pliny, who was there during the _______, described how lava was thrown into the air like a ________. ________ many of the townspeople, ________ at the ________ sight of Vesuvius eruption, stayed too long and failed to escape in time. 2. Find suitable words or expressions from the texts in the unit to fill in the blanks on page35. Step2 Grammar 1. Show a flash to review the differences between V-ing and the past participle. a. 现在分词表示主动，过去分词表示被动。 b. 现在分词表示进行中的动作，过去分词表示动作已完成。 2. Show a flash to review the V-ing form as the adverbial. a. 分词的逻辑主语必须与主句的主语一致. b. 分词的动作不是主句的主语发出时 , 分词前面必须加上它的逻辑主语 , 这种分词短语叫做独立主格结构. c. 当独立主格结构的逻辑主语泛指一般人, 如 we, you, one 时, 逻辑主语可 以省略.
3. Show the following pair of sentences on the screen. I was feeling tired. I went to bed early.→ Feeling tired, I went to bed early.相当 于 As I felt tired, I went to bed early. I worked hard all day. I went to bed early.→Having worked hard all day, I went to bed early.相当于 After I worked hard all day, I went to bed early. 可以看出: a. 分词的一般式说明分词的动作与主句谓语动词的动作是同时发生的.
b. 分词的完成式说明分词的动作发生在主句谓语动词的动作之前. 巩固练习: 现在分词的完成式和一般式进行互换. a. Studying volcanoes, I am amazed at their beauty as well as their potential to cause great damage.→
Having studied volcanoes for twenty years, I am still amazed at their beauty as well as their potential to cause great damage.
b. Having stood for several minutes, I saw some of my friends chatting at a table.→ Arriving there, I saw some of my friends chatting at a table. c. Writing the letter , he left out something important. → Having written the letter, he read it carefully.
4. 用分词的一般式改写句子: As I didn’t know how to find the subway, I called a policeman for help.→ Not knowing how to find the subway, I called a policeman for help. 可以看出: 分词的否定式是在分词短语前面加上 not, never 等否定词. 5. 小结-ing 形式的用法
a. –ing 形式作状语
用法 时间 条件 例句 Seeing those pictures, she remembered her childhood. (= When she saw those pictures….) Standing at the foot of a high mountain，you will find yourself very small. (= If you stand at the foot of a high mountain, ….) 让步 伴随 Knowing where I live, he never comes to see me .(= Though he knows where I live, ….) They stood there for half an hour watching the stars in the sky. (=They stood there for half an hour and watched the stars in the sky.) Being tired , I stopped to take a rest. (= Because I was tired, …) She was so angry that she threw the toy on the ground, breaking it into pieces. (= She was so angry that she threw the toy on the ground and broke it into pieces.) 分词的完成式说明分词的动作发生在主句谓语动词的动作之前.
b. V–ing 形式的完成式作状语
Having brushed his teeth，Mr. Brown came downstairs for breakfast.
6. Find in the text the sentences with v-ing forms or the perfect –ing form. 7. 完成 36 页与 37 页的关于分词的一般式和完成式的练习.
1. 完成 workbook 中对应的练习. 2．完成分词专项练习。
Period 3 Using language 中的 Listening and Speaking Teaching goals：
1. To help the students improve listening skills. 2. To learn how to express fear, surprise and anxiety. 3. To learn to describe a natural disaster according to experience or imagination.
Step 1 lead-in
According to the following situation, make up a dialogue and act out the dialogue. Four students as a group. Situation: Your group go to a volcano to collect a sample of boiling lava, take measurement in the crater and fly over a volcano to make a map of the direction of the lava. You will meet a lot of difficulties and have to overcome them. 这个任务也可在课前布置让学生去准备好, 这样课堂上就直接让两组同学来表演. 通过这样的导入, 学生对听力材料会有似曾相识的感觉, 而且会饶有兴趣地去听材料里面的 内容, 去弄清楚材料里的火山学家到底碰到什么样的困难, 怎样去克服困难的.
Step 2 Listening
1. First Listening. Look at the three pictures of volcanologists at work. Then listen to them talking about their most frightening experience. Write their names under the pictures. 2. Second Listening Listen to the tape again. Answer the questions about each person’s experience. a. How long has he/she been a volcanologist? b. In what country was the volcano he/she talks about? c. Why did he/she forget to be frightened? 3. Third Listening Ask students to work in groups of three, each taking the role of one of the volcanologists and telling the story to others in the group. 4. Fourth Listening Listen to the tape once more. Write the name of the person beside the things they said. This exercise also tells us the ways to express fear and anxiety. 1) Ask individual students to read the sentences aloud to the class. Ask them to try to recall who said each one. 2) Play the tape for students to identify the expressions and record the name of the speaker. It may be necessary to play the tape more than once. Check answers by playing the
tape and stopping when one of the expression is heard.
5. Ask students to retell each person’s frightening experience.
Step 3 Speaking
Think of a powerful natural force (such as an earthquake, flood, typhoon, storm) that you have experienced. You can use your imagination if you have not experienced any of these things. First you should tell your partner about your experience and how you felt. And then ask some students to tell the whole class his/her experience and how he/she felt.
1. Finish the Listening Practice and Listening Task in the workbook. 2. Make up a dialogue with your partner. What should we do to prevent the disaster happening
again or lessen its damage?
Period 4 Using language 中的 Reading and Writing Teaching goals:
1. Learn about Tianchi, its location, views, legend, etc. 2. Help the students to enjoy the beauty of nature. 3. Improve the ability of writing by writing scenic spots in your hometown or you have visited. Step 1 Lead-in 1. Ask students to describe the tourist attractions they have visited or they know. 2. Show the pictures of some scenic spots and students can enjoy their beauty. 3. Show some pictures of Changbaishan and introduce Changbaishan to students. 4. Show some pictures of Tianchi and introduce Tianchi to students. Ask students to guess how Tianchi was formed. They can have a discussion about this question. Step 2 Fast Reading 1. Read the text quickly and find out the main idea of each paragraph. Paragraph 1: The introduction of ChangBaiShan. Paragraph 2: The introduction of TianChi. Paragraph 3: A story about TianChi Paragraph 4: Drop a coin into TianChi to guarantee your love. 2. Reading the article and tell the statements are true or false. 1) Changbaishan is the second largest nature reserve in China. 2) The peak of Changbaishan can reach as high as 2,000 meters. 3) You can see a lot of black bears, leopards or cranes in Changbaishan. 4) Tianchi is a lake in the crater of an extinct volcano. 5) The ancestors of the Manchu people were believed to be good at language and persuasion.
Step 3 Careful Reading
1. Read the first paragraph and answer the following questions. 1) Where is ChangBaiShan? 2) How important is ChangBaiShan? 3) How high is ChangBaiShan? 4) What kinds of rare animals are there in the ChangBaiShan? 5) Why do people come to ChangBaiShan? 6) What’s the most popular attraction of ChangBaiShan? 2. Read the second paragraph and answer the following questions. 1) How was Tianchi formed? 2) How high and how deep is Tianchi? 3) What kinds of sights can you see in Tianchi? 3. Read the third paragraph and tell the whole class the story about Tianchi. 4. Read the fourth paragraph and answer the question: What should you do if you go to Tianchi with your loved one?
Retell the whole text referring to the given questions.
Nature is so beautiful. Show some pictures. We can see that when it is cheerful it is beautiful.
Is it true that nature could always remain beautiful and calm? No! Show some pictures and we can find that when it gets angry it will not be beautiful and it will be ugly. So if we want to see the beautiful nature we must keep nature cheerful , we shouldn’t destroy it and we must protect it . Discuss the question “Why and how can we keep our nature cheerful?” Homework Write an article “Why and how can we keep our nature cheerful?”