名词性从句 noun clause
1.Review some language points ? 2.Learn some new clauses and check points
1. ___ I can’t understand is ___ she wants to change her mind. A. What; why B. Which; how C. That; why D. What; because 2. ____ his dream of going to college will come true is uncertain. A. That B. Whether C. If D. Even if 3. It is known to us ___ where there is pollution, there is harm. A. which B. where C. what D. that
B (1) They want to know _____ do to help us. A. what can they B. what they can C. how they can D. how can they (2) Can you make sure _____ the gold ring? C A. where Alice had put B. where had Alice put C. where Alice has put D. where has Alice put (3) Someone is ringing Mary. Go and see _____. D A. who is he B. who he is C. who is it D. who it is
在名词性从句中，除了关联词在从句之首 外， 陈述 其它部分应用________的语序。
II.用if 或whether 填空
whether/if 1. I don’t know _______ I’ll be free tomorrow. 2. I don’t knowwhether or not I’ll be free tomorrow. _______ 3. The question is whether this book is worth writing. ______ 4. It depends on whether we will have enough money. ______ 5.Whether they can do it matters little to us. ______ 6._______ you are not free tomorrow , I’ll go without you If
a.主语从句、表语从句、同位语从句、介词后 whether 面的宾语从句只能用________，不能用if ； whether b.后面紧跟 or not 时, 用___________.
III. that 与whether / if 的选择：
(1) _____ knowledge comes from practice is known to all. A. What B. Where C. If D. That (2) It makes no difference _____ our sports meet will be held this week or next week. A. that B. either C. whether D. when whether / if (3) I doubt _____________ he will come soon.
(4) I do not doubt _____________ he will come soon. that
that (5) Do you doubt ____________ he will come soon?
Ⅳ. that， what引导名词性从句的区别
What 1._________ I can’t understand is why he has changed his mind. 2.___________ the earth is round is known to us all. That That what 3. ______ he won the race was ______ we expected.
Ⅴ. what & whatever
引导名词性从句的区别 who & whoever which & whichever
Whatever 1.___________ is worth doing is worth doing well. What 2. __________we need is more time. Who 3.___________ made the long distance call to him is not important. 4.___________ breaks the law will be punished. Whoever Whoever,whatever ? ___________________等引导的名词性从句不 含有疑问意义，相当于名词后加一个定语从句， 而 Who, what ? ____________________等引导的名词性从句都 含有疑问意义。
1. It's generally considered unwise to give a child _______ he or she wants. A. which B. that C. whatever D. all what
2. These wild flowers are so special that I would do _______ I can to save them. A. which B. that C. whatever D. all what 3. _____ kills, sells or eats wild animals or birds, is to blame. A. Anyone B. Anyone who C. Those who
He suggested that a meeting (should) be held immediately. It was suggested that a meeting (should) be held immediately. His suggestion was that a meeting (should) be held immediately. He made a suggestion that a meeting (should) be held immediately.
表示建议, 请求, 命令, 要求,坚持等的名词性从句中 谓语动词用虚拟语气.
2.在主语从句中用来表示惊奇, 不相信,惋惜,理应如此等, 谓语动词用虚拟语气( should ) + do,常用句型有 1)It is necessary( important, natural, strange, etc) …… that…… 2) It is a pity( a shame, no wonder etc,) ……that…… e.g.It is strange that she (should) think so.
Do you know the fact that he stole the car? (同从) Do you know the fact that they were talking about? (定从)
注意：1. 如果是定语从句，它的从句肯定是 不完整的，关系词肯定在句中充当成分的；而 同位语从句中的that只起连接作用。 2. 定语从句是对先行词起修饰作用， 而同位语从句则解释说明前面名词的具体内容。
Consolidation: 1.The question is ____the film is worth seeing. A. if B. what C. whether D. how
2.They received orders _____ the work be done at once. A .which B. when C. / D .that
3.The reason ____ I have to go is ____ my mother is ill in bed. A .why; why B. why; because C. why ; that D. that; because
7. I have the information ____. A. of what he’ll come soon B. that he’ll come soon C. of that he’ll come soon D. his coming soon 5. --- I saw your neighbor break your window with a basketball. --- ____ it made me nearly mad. A. That he broke B. What he broke C. He broke D. His break
7.It remains a question ____ we can get so much money in such a short time. A. how B. that C. when D. what 8.--- Can I help you? --- Yes, do you know ____? A. when comes the bus B. when will come the bus C. when does the bus come D. when the bus comes
9. He made a promise ___ anyone set him free he would make him very rich. A. that B. if C. what D. that if
10. They lost their way in the forest and ____ made matters worse was ___ night began to fall. A. what; that B. it; that C. what; when D. which; what
宾语从句中If不能替代whether的七种情况 在引导宾语从句时,whether与if通常可以互换.if多用于口语和非正式 文体中,whether则多用于比较正式的文体中. She asked me if／whether I could help her with her English． ①.引导位于句首的主语从句、表语从句以及同位语从句时,只能用 whether. Whether they win or lost is all the same to me. whether it will do us harm or good remains to be seen. ②.直接与or not连用时,只能用whether. I wonder whether or not they will come to help us. She doesn’t care a bit whether I’m absent or not. ③.位于在介词后面,作介词宾语时,只能用whether. I'm thinking of whether we should present a gift to the poor girl. It all depends on whether it will clear up. ④.在带to的动词不定式前,只能用whether. She hasn't decided whether to go or not． He doesn't know whether to go to the cinema or to watch TV at home．
⑤.在动词discuss, decide等动词引起的宾语从句中,只能 用whether. They discussed whether they should close the shop. The old lady has not decided whether she will live with her daughter in the countryside. ⑥.宾语从句提前时,只能用whether. Whether this is true or not，I can't say. Whether we can really help you, I don’t know yet. ⑦.在有些句子中,用if引导宾语从句可能会产生歧义.因此 若表示选择含义,最好用whether. Let me know whether you are coming. You should tell your mother whether you want to go with her for a holiday.