Unit2 United Kingdom
Leaning about Language
Discovering useful words and expressions
1. Choose the correct words to complete the passage.
/>kingdom clarify puzzle debate
attraction influence legal convenience
debate “Why you ___________ this wonderful puzzle opportunity so carefully is a ___________ to me.” The boss said on the phone. “This is the project for you. You will live in a town in England and have a house with all modern conveniences Our head quarters in Beijing ___________. clarify will ___________ any problems that may arise over the Internet.
legal You will help us to examine any __________ issues that may arise if we want to build a Kingdom factory somewhere in the Untied __________. We think you will find living in England will attraction and so we would like be a great ___________ influence you to take this job. We hope to __________ you will accept it.”
All of the words below can take the place of said, but they are used under different conditions and in different situations. Choose the correct word from the list to fit each of the sentences.
whisper smile ask
advise answer beg
suggest decide shout agree scream complain
whispered to us 1. “Shall we leave now?” he __________ and we left the room very quietly. 2. “Is she tall and thin with black hair and asked wearing a re dress?” she __________ the police. 3. “How pleased I am to see you well today and smiled looking so happy,” __________ her father. 4. “Help! Help! I can’t swim.” screamed _________ the frightened boy.
begged Sarah 5. “Please don’t hurt my cat, “ ________ as her brother picked it up by one leg. 6. I’d like to live in a castle of my own too,” agreed _______ my father after listening to my question. 7. “Yes. I bought a car and a new flat this answered my father after listening winter,” _________ to my question. shouted Li 8. “ Are you coming with us?” _______ Ming to her friend on the other side of the room.
9. “ I didn’t like that meal at all,”complained _________ the customer. 10. “Perhaps you would like to go this way?” suggested _________ the man shyly. 11. “ I will buy the green car with the red seats and not the blue one,” decided _________ my friend. advised the 12. “ This is what I’d do,” _________ headmaster.
Leaning about Language
Discovering useful structures
1. Can you find the following sentences in
the reading passage?
Now when people refer to England you find Wales included as well.
find / …
Three more sentences in the reading passage. 1. Now, when anyone refers to England you find Wales included as well. Para 2. 2. So to their surprise the three countries find themselves united… Para 3.
3. …they were going to get Ireland connected to form the united kingdom. Para 3.
2. Complete the sentences by using the words in brackets and the structure have / get / find something done.
have got the house mended now. 1. We _________________________
Have you had 2. You look different today. ___________
your hair cut? _______________
the dictionary delivered 3. Do you want to have _____________________
to your house or would you prefer to come
to the shop for it?
4. A: Could I have a look at the photographs
you took when you wee in Europe?
haven’t had the film developed yet. B: Sorry, I ________________________
5. On my way to the station my car broke down. When I got to the repair shop I
found it closed _________________.
6. The computer doesn’t seem to work well,
it repaired you’d better get _______________ ?
got all their money stolen while 7. Jill and Eric _____________________ they were on holiday. had some flowers sent to Sarah on 8. Chris ___________________ her birthday. Then Chris asked Sarah to had it announced in the marry him and they ______________ newspaper. They had no time to arrange their own wedding, so they _______________ by a had the celebration arranged company.
Past Participle as Object Complement
作宾语补足语的过去分词一般来自及物动词， 表示被动和完成意义，说明宾语所处的状态， 一般跟它前面的宾语在逻辑上构成主谓关系， 表被动，其结构形式为：主语＋谓语动词＋宾 语＋过去分词。一般可带过去分词形成宾语补 足语的动词可以分为以下三类。
find / …
past participle ／
① have, get, make, help, leave
② see, hear, watch, feel, think , ?表示感觉和 find, notice , observe 心理状态的词 ③ like, want, wish, order
?表示“希望、 要求等意义的 词语
1.You can make yourself _____________ pretty
well if you keep on speaking the language.
A. understand B. understood √
C. understanding D. to understand
2. The manager discussed the plan that they
would like to see ________ the next year.
A. carry out B. carrying out
C. carried out √
D. to carry out
3. --- I can’t see the words on the blackboard. --- Perhaps you need __________. A. to have your eyes examined √ B. to examine your eye C. to have examined your eyes D. your eyes to be examined 4. They woke up, finding everything around ________. A. changing B. change C. changed D. to change √
?Learn the new words of this unit by heart. ?Make up a story, using as many past participles and vocabulary in this unit as possible. The beginning of the story is as the following: The city found itself flooded over a night. So many terrified people were walking on the water-covered road. They found a frightened girl ere a pub, trebling. All the drivers found their car engines…