Module 6 Unexplained Mysteries of the Natural World
1.What does the name of the song “the Descendants （传 人）of the Dragon” mean? 2.Can y
ou think of some
Chinese descriptions about
Comprehension—fast reading Read the passage quickly and do True or False:
(1)Dragons are widely talked about in the world. T
(2)Dragons disappeared from the earth long time ago. F Dragons didn’t actually exist on the earth.
(3)The emperor and other members of the royal family wore clothes with a dragon with five claws of
the same colour.
The emperor wore clothes with a dragon with five claws
and other members of the royal family wore clothes
with a dragon with fewer claws of different colours.
wise although Dragons are generous _________ and ______,
unpredictable they can be _________________.
In Chinese culture
royal The dragon was closely connected to the ______ family ______.
If you were born in the year of the dragon, you
intelligent _______and leader natural _______. brave are __________, a ________
Comprehension—careful reading and answer. 1.What do Chinese think of dragons? Generous, wise, unpredictable, brave, and closely
connected to the royal family.
2.What do westerners think of dragons? Dragons are dangerous and have a negative
reputation. But the red dragon on the Welsh flag
is a positive symbol.
reputation In the Dragons had a different ___________. dangerous story, the dragon is __________.
In western However, in Wales, the _____ red dragon which
positive appears on the Welsh flag is a ________ strength and a sense of symbol, indicating _________
national ________. identity ________
Comprehension—post reading—Discussion People can use some animals to express special meanings. Discuss and guess the Chinese meanings
of the following English sentences. (1)The cat shuts its eyes when stealing cream. 掩耳盗铃。 (2)A fox may grow grey, but never good. 江山易改，本性难移。 (3)Love me, love my dog. 爱屋及乌。
(4)It is a poor mouse that has only one hole. 狡兔三窟。 (5)Never offer to teach fish to swim. 不要班门弄斧。 (6)Kill two birds with one stone. 一箭双雕；一举两得。 (7)He is as stubborn as a donkey. 他像驴子那样固执。 (8)When the cat is away, the mouse will play. 山中无老虎，猴子称大王。
bring good luck
2.造成死亡和毁灭 cause death and destruction 3.与??密切相关 be closely connected to … 4.颜色不同 be of different colours = be of a different colour = be different in colour
according to = in terms of
have a different character
grow out of …
be afraid of
be afraid to do a bringer of good fortune
1. Dragons can be friendly or fierce, they can bring good luck or cause death and destruction. 龙有时会是友好的, 有时会是凶猛的, 它们能带来好
情态动词can除了表示“能, 能够”外, 还可表示 “有时会, 可能会”等。 Don’t play with the dog, Jack, for it ____ be dangerous at times. A. shall B. should C. can D. must
2.due to 由于，因为；应付给（其中to为介词）
be due to do sth. 即将；预定/预期做某事 The wages due to him will be paid tomorrow. 他应得的工资明天付给他。 The accident was due to careless driving. 这起车祸起因于粗心驾驶。 The teacher is due to make two speeches tomorrow. 这位老师预期明天演讲两次。 I’m due to meet him this afternoon. 我约定今天下午去见他。
【辨析】due to/because of/owing to/thanks to
due to 既可以用作状语，也可用作表语或后置定
because of 只能用作状语。
owing to 多用作状语。 thanks to 只能用作状语，往往表示正面意思，意 为“幸亏，多亏”。
【即学即练】 1. The game was cancelled owing to the heavy rain. 比赛因大雨取消了。
2. He walked slowly because of his bad leg.
3. It was all a great success—thanks to a lot of hard
4. It is reported that the accident ___ careless driving, so a lot of money ___ be paid by the driver. A.was due to; was due to C. is due to; has due to B. due to ; was due to D. is due to; was due to
【解析】选A。 考查due的含义。句意：据报道，这 次交通事故是由于司机的粗心驾驶造成的，所以应该 由司机支付大量的费用。 第一空处的due to 表示原 因；第二空处的be due to to sth. 表示应该做某事。
3. indicate v. 表明；指示；象征;暗示 The experimental results indicate that the method is effective. 实验结果显示此方法是有效可行的。
The black clouds indicate that it will rain soon.
乌云象征着天很快就要下雨了。 【拓展】indicate sth. 象征??；表明??；标志?? indicate sth. to sb. 向某人指出??；向某人表示??
4. fortune n. ［U］机会;运气；［C］财产，财富 She inherited a large fortune.
I was fortunate to catch today’s last bus to Jinan at the last minute. 我很幸运在最后一分钟赶上了去济南的最后一班车。
If I were you, I would try my fortune in Hollywood. 我要是你,就会去好莱坞碰碰运气。
【拓展】 make a/one’s fortune 发大财 seek one’s fortune 闯天下;寻求财富 try one’s fortune 碰碰运气 have the fortune to do 有幸做??
fortunate adj. 幸运的
be fortunate in doing sth. 在??方面运气好 fortunately adv. 幸运地
1. He failed to catch the first bus ______ the bad weather. A. due to C. due for B. being due to D. being due for
2. How badly reform is needed was ______ recently by the rising youth crime figures. A. suspected C. influenced B. indicated D. announced
3. The bell _____ the end of the period rang, _____ our heated discussion. A. indicating; interrupting B. indicated; interrupting C. indicating; interrupted D. indicated; interrupted 4. — Did you get a clear look at the monster? — No, but it seemed to be red ______. A. in colour B. in the colour
C. with colour
D. with the colour
Learned some information about the universal dragon.
Grasp the knowledge we have learned
Goals determine what you’re going to be. — Julius Erving 人生的奋斗目标决定你将成为怎样的人。 — 欧文