人教课标 高二 选修 6 Unit 1
1. If you could have three of these
paintings on the walls of your
classroom, which would you choose?
【考点】 if 引导的虚拟条件句与现
，从句的谓语用一般过去 式，主句的谓语用“would / should / could / might + 动词原形”。
【考例】 If I _____ plan to do anything I wanted to, I’d like to go to Tibet and travel through as much of it as possible. (湖北 2005) A. would B. could C. had to D. ought to
【点拨】根据句子提供的语境，这是 一个与现在事实相反的虚拟语气，if 从句的谓语要用一般过去式；再根据 句意“要是我能计划做我想做的事， 我就……”，选could。
2. realistic adj. 现实主义的，逼真的 v. realize 实现 n. reality 现实
3. sculpture n. 雕像，塑像 v. sculpt 雕刻 n. sculptor 雕刻家 adj. sculptural 雕刻的 clay sculpture 泥塑 ice sculpture 冰雕 sculpture park 雕塑公园
4. Art is influenced by the customs and faith of a people. faith n. 信任, 信仰 e.g. I kept faith with him.
He who loses faith, loses all.
faithful adj. 忠诚的，可靠的 have faith in 相信, 信任 in good faith 老实地；诚恳地 break one’s faith with sb.
keep faith with 忠于信仰; 守信
5. As there are so many different styles of Western art that it would be impossible to describe all of them in a short text．
so … that … “如此……以至于……” 可引导结果状语从句 so + adj. /adv.原形 + that … so + adj. + a(an) + [c]单数 + that so many/few + pl + that so much/little + [u] + that
【考例】 _______ that Maric was able to set up new branches elsewhere. （07陕西）
A. So successful her business was
B. So successful was her business
C. So her business was successful
D. So was her successful business
6. consequently adv. 所以，因此 consequent adj. 随后的，相应的 consequence n. 后果 e.g. Mr Foster has never been to China. Consequently, he knows very little about it. “福斯特先生从未去过中国, 所以对中国 了解的很少。”
It rained that day and ___ the baseball game was called off. A. however C. so B. still D. consequently
7. During the Middle Ages, the main aim of painters was to represent religious themes.
v. （常与at连用）瞄准；对准 努力; 力争 aim to do sth. 立志要做某事 n. 目标, 目的 (purpose) adj. aimless 无目的, 无目标的
【小试】将下列句子翻译成英语。 1. Shirley去纽约是为了找份好工作。 Shirley went to New York with the aim of finding a good job. 2. 上个月采取的这些措施旨在防止空 气污染。 These measures taken last month were aimed at preventing air pollution.
8. A conventional artist of this period was not interested in showing nature … conventional adj. (traditional)常规的， 通常的，传统的；受俗套束缚的， 按 习惯办事的， 陈旧的，形式上的 e.g. The chairman made a few conventional remarks. 主席说了几句客套话。
a conventional design
9. A typical picture at this time was full of religious symbols, … typical adj. 典型的；具有代表性的； 象征性的 = representative a typical character 典型人物 typical example 典型事例
【考例】 Jack is late again. It is ________ of him to keep others waiting. A. normal B. ordinary C. common D. typical （江西2008） 【点拨】 选D。typical of sb. / sth. 表示 “不出所料，特有的”。句意为：Jack 又迟到了，让别人等真是他一贯的作风。
10. But it was evident that ideas were changing in the 13th century...
evident adj. 明白的, 明显的(apparent) evidence n. 证据; 证明
e.g. The applause made it evident the play was a hit. 掌声显然表明该剧是成功的。 It’s evident that you are tired. 显然你累了。
11. People began to concentrate less on religious themes and adopt a more humanistic attitude to life.
1) concentrate on (upon) 集中在；专心于 concentrate one’s attention on / upon 把注意力集中在 e.g. I concentrate on the lecture. 我专心听讲。
2) adopt 采纳；收养 adopt an idea / a new technique 采纳意见；采用新技术
adopt a child 收为养子
12. They paid famous artists to paint … their houses and other possessions … possession n. 拥有, 占有, 所有, 着迷, 领土, 领地, 财产 (常用复数) possess v. e.g. He possesses two cars. 他有两辆汽车。 She possesses some interesting pictures. 她有一些有趣的画儿。
13. When people first saw his paintings they were convinced that they were looking through a hole in the wall at a real scene. 当人们第一次看到他的画时，还以为 是透过墙上的小洞来观察真实的场景， 并对此深信不疑。
【点拨】该句是一个复合句，when引导 一个时间状语从句，主句为they were convinced，且包含一个省略了that的宾 语从句。looking后面接了两个介词短语 through a hole和at a real scene, in the wall作a hole的后置定语，汉语意为“通 过墙上的小洞来观察真实的场景”。
convince vt. 使相信; 信服; 说服 convince sb. to do sth. 说服某人做某事 convince sb. of sth. / that从句 使某人确信某事 e.g. He convinced me that I should study law. 他劝我应该学法律。
【考例】 Scientists are convinced _____ the possible effect of laughter _____ physical and mental health. (江西 2007) A. of; at B. by; in C. of; on D. on; at 【点拨】根据搭配be convinced of ...和 effect on ...可知选C。
convinced adj. 确信的；深信的 be convinced that / of 确信 convincing adj. 有说服力的
1. I was convinced ____ that he knew the truth. 2. I couldn’t convince him ___ of his mistake. 3. The doctor convinced me ___ to stop smoking. 4. The more he said, the less convincing _________ he was.
14. By coincidence, oil paints were also developed at this time… by coincidence 碰巧, 由于巧合
e.g. What a coincidence! 多么凑巧的事情啊！ What a coincidence to meet you here. 真巧在这儿碰到你。
Just by coincidence, I met my old schoolmate again fifty years later. 碰巧，50年后我遇到一位老校友。 15. In the late 19th, Europe changed a great deal, … a great deal可单独使用，也可 用在形容词或副词的比较级前， 表示“大量；许多”，相当于副 词
much或a lot；而 a great deal of只能 用在不可数名词前，表示“大量的”。
e.g. 1. We learned a great deal from the superb players. 2. Jacob ran a great deal faster than I. 3. Simon gave me a great deal of help when I was in trouble.
英语中表示“大量；许多”的 短语有很多，根据性质可分为以下三 类： ★ 修饰可数名词的有：a good / great many, a large / great number of, scores of 等，谓语 动词用复数形式。
e.g. 1. A great / good many words and expressions have come into the language from American English. 2. There were scores of boxes, all waiting to be checked.
★ 修饰不可数名词的有：a large amount of, a good deal of 等，谓语 动词用单数形式。
e.g. A large amount of money has been spent on his new house. ★ 既能修饰可数名词，又能 修饰不可数名词的有：a lot of, lots of, plenty of等，谓语动词的 数根据被修饰的名词是可数或 不可数而定。 e.g. 1. A lot of / Lots of people are coming to the meeting.
2. There’s a lot of / lots of rice in the bag. 3. There are plenty of eggs in the fridge. 4. Don’t worry about it. We have plenty of time.
修饰可数名词: many few/a few a good/great many a large/ great/ big/ small number of many a + 单数名词 more than one + 单数名词
修饰不可数名词: much little/a little a good/great deal of a large amount of (谓语动词用单数) large amounts of (谓语动词用复数)
a lot of/lots of plenty of a large quantity of (谓语动词用单数) large quantities of (谓语动词用复数)
16. Among the painters who broke away from the traditional style of painting … break away from … 逃走；逃脱；革除(习惯等) e.g. Break away from the enemy jail. 从敌人的监狱逃路。
e.g. You must break away from such bad habits. 你必须革除这样的坏习惯。
影子 [U] — 任何遮住阳光的地方
shadow became As the sun set, the _______ longer. Under the floodlight, each player in the football match shadows has four ________. Let’s find some ______ shade and take a rest.
18. On the one hand, some modern art is abstract; that is, the painter does not attempt to paint objects as we see them with our eyes, but instead concentrates on certain qualities of the object, using colour, line and shape to represent them.
[翻译] 有些现代艺术是抽象的， 也就是说，画家并不打算把我 们眼睛看到的东西如实地画出 来，而是集中展现物体的某些 品质特性，用色彩、线条和形 状把它们呈现出来。
【点拨】本句中的that is可以作 that is to say，意为“换句话说”， 相当于in other words，用于更清 楚地解释刚刚说过的话。解释部 分是一个由but连接的并列句：前 一个分句包含一个as引导的方式 状语从句；后一个分句中的using colour, line and shape为动词-ing 形式短语作状语。
attempt 尝试、企图 n. /v. e.g. The second question was so difficult that I didn’t even attempt it. I attempted to speak but was told to keep quiet. She made an attempt to lock the door. attempt to do / doing = try to do / doing
in an attempt to 为了…… make no attempt to 没有尝试 / 企图 …… at the first / second / ... attempt 第一 / 二 / …… 次尝试
【小试】将下列句子翻译成英语。 1. 他们试图在一个月内完成这项工作。 They attempted to finish the work within a month. 2. 我考汽车驾驶执照时一次就 通过了。 I passed my driving test at the first attempt.
【考点】 on the other hand（可是） 另一方面，引出不同的（尤指对立的） 观点。 I would like a job which pays more, but ___________ I enjoy the work I’m doing at the moment. A. in other words B. on the other hand C. for one thing D. as a matter of fact （浙江2006）
【点拨】 选 B。句意为：我想找 个薪水更高的工作，可是另一方 面我又喜欢我目前的工作。 in other words 换句话说； for one thing 一来，一方面； as a matter of fact 事实上。
I. 选用方框内合适的短语，并用其适当 形式填空。 by coincidence lead to on the other hand concentrate on a great deal of break away from 1. I can’t ______________ concentrate on what I’m doing with all that noise going on.
by coincidence lead to on the other hand concentrate on a great deal of break away from
2. Eating too much sugar will surely _______ lead to health problems. 3. ______________, By coincidence Paul and Jim were travelling on the same train. 4. This is a difficult project because it requires a ____________ great deal of time and energy.
by coincidence lead to on the other hand concentrate on a great deal of break away from
5. What can we do to help them break away from the lawless group? ________________ 6. Maria won’t go hiking with us. On the one hand, she is not feeling well; on the other hand she doesn’t like ________________, outdoor sports.
II. 根据括号内的提示，将下列句子翻译 成英语。 1. 显然，Anna不能胜任那份工作。 (It is evident that ...) It is evident that Anna is not equal to the job. 2. 我确信Karl是个诚实的工人。 (be convinced that) I am convinced that Karl is an honest worker.
3. 在过去几个月里，我们的医疗队取得 了很大成功。(a great deal) Our medical team has achieved a great deal in the last few months. 4. 他在这家公司工作已有几十年了。 (scores of) He has been working in the company for scores of years.
5. 那个男孩想熬夜看世界杯但被他的父 母阻止了。(attempt)
The boy attempted to stay up for the World Cup but was stopped by his parents. 6. 要是她会唱歌, 我就邀请她参加晚会 了。(if) If she could sing, I would invite her to the party.