1. 强调结构的陈述式 强调结构的陈述式为“It is （was） + 被强调部分 + that （who）?”。该结构可用 于强调主语、宾语、状语等，但不能强调谓语动词。该句式中用 that 或 who 的区别是：当 被强调的指人时，用 that 或 who 均可；当被强调的不是指人时，则只能用 that（注意不用 which） 。 如： It was in
the office that he was killed. 他是办公室被杀害的。 （强调 in the office） It is the children who broke the window. 是孩子们打破窗户的。（强调 the children） It was to you and not anyone else that I lent the money. 我只借钱给你， 不借给其他人。 （强 调 to you and not anyone） It is only when you have your own children that you realize the troubles of parenthood. 当 你有了自己的孩子，才能真切地了解到双亲的辛苦。（强调 only when you have your own children） 2. 一般疑问句的强调结构 一般疑问句的强调结构就是将 be 提到句首，即使用“Is / Was it+ 被强调部分 + that / who?”。如：Is it Tommy who answered the telephone? 是汤米接的电话吗? Is it from advertising that a newspaper earns a lot of its profits? 报纸获利最多的部分是在于广告收入 吗？ 3. 特殊疑问句的强调结构 特殊疑问句的强调结构句型为“疑问词（Who / What / When / Where / Why / How）+is / was it that?”这样的形式。如：When was it that he got married? 他是什么时候结婚的? How long ago is it that you last saw her? 你上一次看见她是多久以前的事? Who was it that won the World Cup in 1982? 谁赢得了 1982 年的世界杯? Why is it that I always land up cleaning the bath? 为什么总是该我来洗刷浴缸? In which play of Shakespeare's is it that Viola appears? 维 欧拉是在莎士比亚那个剧里出现的吗? 强调句的结构是“It is / was +强调部分 + that / who-从句”，it 在句中作先行词，被强调 的部分通常是主语、宾语和状语。这是 it 的主要用法和考点之一。 一． 在强调句中，被强调的是状语或状语从句时，要用 that 引导从句，而不能用 which 引导,而且通常不能省略。强调状语（从句）是历年高考中最主要的考点。例如（MET95）： It was not until 1920 ____ regular radio broadcasts began. A. while B. which C. that D. since 答案是 C。不能选 B，因为该句中被强调的部分是时间状语从句。 二． 被强调的是非人称主语或宾语时，现代英语既可用 that 引导，也可用 which 引导。例 如（NMET2000）： It is the ability to do the job ____ matters not where you come from or what you are. A. one B. that C. what D. it 答案是 B，其中 that 也可换成 which。又如： It is the sun that / which gives us light and heat. 是太阳给了我们光和热。 三． 被强调者为人时，引导词用 who 或 that。例如（上海高考题 95）：
第 1 页 共 8 页
Was ____ that I saw last night at the concert? A. it you B. not you C. you D. that yourself 答案是 A。句中的引导词 that 可换用 who。有时强调句以倒装（疑问句）形式出现，此时 可用“还原法”加以辨别。必须注意的是，当被强调的是主语时，代词要用主格形式。例 如： It was I who discovered the secret first. 是我最先发现这个秘密的。 四． 对 not?until 时间状语从句进行强调时，其句型是：It is / was not until? that-从句， 即 not 和 until 在强调句中总是紧挨着的。例如（MET92）： It was not ____ she took off her dark glasses ____ I realized she was a famous film star. A. when; that B. until; that C. until; when D. when; then 答案是 B。注意习惯上不用 not till，而且从句不能用 when 引导。 五． 强调句和修饰时间及地点的定语从句的区别。比较下面两例： Was it in 1969 ____ the American astronaut succeeded ____ landing on the moon? A. when; on B. that; on C. when; in D. that; in (上海高考题 94) It was December26, 1893 ____ Mao Zedong was born in the common village. A. when B. that C. which D. in which 答案分别是 D 和 A。前一句是强调句，因为被强调的部分 in 1969 是 that 从句中一个完整 的句子成分，改为非强调句后的句子是：The American astronaut succeeded in landing on the moon in 1969。 而后一句的 December 26, 1893 不能成为从句的一个完整成分，所以不是强 调句，而是定语从句，December 26, 1893 是先行词。在强调句中，it 是先行词；在第二句 中，it 作主语，指时间。 六． 被强调的不管是单数还是复数名词，主句的 be 动词都用单数，即 is 或 was。例如： It ____ Madame Curie and his husband Pierre who discovered radium. A. is B. was C. are D. were 答案是 B。由于所叙述的是过去的事，不能用 is。 ◆典型迷惑题分析◆ 1. ____ that caused him to serve dinner an hour later than usual. A. It was we being late B. It was our being late C. It was we were too late D. It was because we were late 【迷惑】此题容易误选 D，认为强调的是原因状语从句 because we were late。 【分析】但实际上，此题的答案为 B，强调的是句子主语 our being late，此题若还原成非 强调句，即为： Our being late caused him to serve dinner an hour later than usual.注意，强调句的一个显著 特点是，若去掉强调结构 it is [was]? that?，句子仍然成立；换句话说，该结构中的 that 不能充当句子成分。 2. “How was ______ they discovered the entrance to the underground palace?” “Totally by chance.” A. it that B. he that C. it when D. he which
【迷惑】几个干扰项均可能误选。 【分析】答案选 A，为强调句的特殊疑问句形式，其相应的陈述句形式为： It was totally by chance that they discovered the entrance to the underground palace. 比较以下各题，它们也属强调句的特殊疑问句形式： (1) Who was it _____ saved the drowning girl? A. since B. as C. that D. he 答案选 C，被强调成分为 who，该句实为类似 It was Tom that saved the drowning girl. 这类 强调句的特殊疑问句形式（即对其中的 Tom 提问而得）。 (2) What is it _____ his daughter needs most? A. what B. which C. that D. if 答案选 C，被强调成分为 what，该句实为类似 It is a bike that his daughter needs most. 这类 强调句的特殊疑问句形式（即对其中的 a bike 提问而得）。 3. _____ was very ______ that little Jim wrote the letter. A. It, careful B. It, carefully C. He, careful D. He, carefully 【迷惑】几个干扰项均有可能误选，但最有可能误选的可能是 A，认为这是一个普通的系 表结构，即认为第二空要填形容词作表语。 【分析】其实，此题是一个强调句，其非强调形式为 Little Jim wrote the letter very carefully. 若用 it is ? that? 的强调句式强调其中的状语 very carefully 即为上面一题的题干， 所以 答案应选 B。请看下面几例，也属强调结构： (1) It was when she was about to go to bed ______ the telephone rang. A. since B. as C. that D. then 答案选 C，被强调成分为 when she was about to go to bed 这一时间状语从句。 (2) It may have been at Christmas _____ John gave Mary a handbag. A. before B. who C. that D. when 答案选 C，被强调成分为 at Christmas，其中的动词 be 采用了 may have been 这一较为复 杂的形式。 4. “Where did you find the professor who made the speech yesterday?” “It was in the hall ______ the students often have a meeting.” A. where B. which C. that D. when 【陷阱】很可能误选 C，认为这是一个强调句，强调地点状语 in the hall。 【分析】假若选 C，即有 It was in the hall that the students often have a meeting，该句的意思 是“学生们通常是在大厅开会”，单独看这一句，无论是其意思还是其语法均未错，但若 将其与上文联系起来看，则不通，因为上文的意思是“你是在哪儿找到昨天作报告的那位 教授的?”假若将答句改为 It was in the hall that I found the professor，则完全可以。 其实，此题的最佳答案是 A，where the students often have a meeting 为定语从句，用以修饰 其前的名词 the hall，句意为“是在学生们经常开会的那个大厅(找到教授的)”，这样语意 就通顺了。
第 2 页 共 8 页
5. It was what he meant rather than what he said ______ annoyed me. A. which B. as C. what D. that 【迷惑】几个干扰项均有可能误选。 【分析】 此题为一个强调句型， 空格处应填 that (即选 D)， 被强调成分为 what he meant rather than what he said。句意为“让我生气的不是他说的话，而是他话中的意思”。请再看两例： (1) It was his nervousness in the interview ______ probably lost him the job. A. which B. since C. that D. what 答案选 C，为强调句型，被强调成分为 his nervousness in the interview，句意为“很可能是 面试时表现出紧张，使他失去了这份工作”。 (2) It is the ability to do the job ______ matters not where you come from or what you are. A. one B. that C. what D. it 答案选 B，为强调句型，被强调成分为 the ability to do the job，句意为“重要的是你做工 作的能力，而不是你来自何地或你是从事什么工作的”。 6. It was in the small house ______ was built with stones by his father ______ he spent his childhood. A. which, that B. that, which C. which, which D. that, where 【迷惑】几个干扰项均有可能误选，主要是分不清为强调句型，或即使分清为强调句型， 也分不清强调哪一个成分。 【分析】答案选 A，第一空填 which，用以引导定语从句；第二空填 that，为强调句的结构 词，被强调部分为 in the small house (以及修饰它的定语从句 which was built with stones by his father)。此题难就难在强调句型中套用了定语从句。请再看类似例子： (1) It was the boy _____ had been in prison _____ stole the money. A. who, where B. that, how C. who, that D. that, which 此题答案选 C， 全句为强调句， 被强调成分是 the boy (以及修饰它的定语从句 who had been in prison)。 (2) It was just in the room _____ he was born _____ he died. A. where, which B. that, that C. where, that D. which, that 此题答案选 C，全句为强调句，被强调成分是 in this room，where he was born 为修饰 the room 的定语从句。 7. Was it five o’clock ______the fire broke out? A. when B. that C. which D. in which 【迷惑】容易误选 B，误认为这是强调句。 【分析】其实，此题应选 A，这不是强调句。因为在强调句中，若去掉强调句的结构词 it is [was]?that?， 句子结构仍然完整， 但此句不是这样， 若去掉结构词， 即为 Five o’ clock the
fire broke out， 句子不完整， 但若在 five o’ clock 前加上介词 at 则可以， 因为 at five o’ clock 用作时间状语。此题选 A 可分析为：it 表时间，when the fire broke out 为时间状语从句， 全句意为“火灾是 5 点钟发生的吗?”比较下面一题（答案选 B，为强调句）： Was it at five o’clock ______the fire broke out? A. when B. that C. which D. in which 8. “Was it under the tree _____ you were away talking to a friend?” “Sure. But when I got back there, the bike was gone. A. that B. where C. which D. while 【迷惑】此题很容易误选 A，认为这是强调句型。 【分析】其实此题应选 D。做好此题的关键是正确理解上下文的语境。在此句中，it 是代 词，指代 the bike，句意为：“当你离开去同朋友谈话的时候，你的自行车是在这树下吗?” “当然，但当我回来时，自行车就不见了。”现在反过来分析一下，假若选 A，将此句判 为强调句，句子即为 Was it under the tree that you were away talking to a friend? 若进一步转 换为非强调句，句子则为 Under the tree while you were talking to a friend，句意显然很荒唐。 9. It’s more than half a century _____ my grandfather joined the Party and became a servant to the people. A. when B. that C. since D. while 【迷惑】容易误选 B，认为这是强调句型。 【分析】假若选 B，将此句分析为强调句，那么若将此句还原为非强调句就应该是 My grandfather joined the Party and became a servant to the people more than half a century. 很显然, 句中的 more than half a century 是一段时间，然而它修饰的谓语动词 joined?became 却是 两个终止性动词，这显然不合适。其实，此题应选 C，属于“It is＋一段时间＋since 从句” 句型，句意为“我爷爷加入党组织成为人民的公仆已有半个多世纪了”。此句的主句谓语 也可以用现在完成时态(has been)，但在口语中多用一般现在时代替。 10. It was lack of money, not of effort, _____ defeated their plan. A. which B. as C. that D. what 【迷惑】容易误选 A，受空格前逗号的影响，误认为这是一个非限制性定语从句，从而误 选了 A。 【分析】其实，此题最佳答案为 C，整个句子为强调句，被强调成分为 lack of money, not of effort。由于句中插入 not of effort 这一结构，干扰了许多同学对 it was lack of money that defeated their plan 这一强调句的认识和理解。 ◆精编迷惑题训练◆ 1.—Who are making so much noise in the garden? —_______ the children.
第 3 页 共 8 页
A. It is B. They are C. That is D. There are 2. It is _______ he often fails in exams ______ makes his parents worried about him. A. what; that B. that; what C. that; that D. / ; that 3. It is the protection for the trees _______ really matters, rather than how many trees are planted. A. what B. that C. 不填 D. which 4. It is _____ my father worked _____ I work now. A. where, that B. where, when C. that, where D. that, that 5. Was _____ that I saw last night at the concert? A. it you B. not you C. you D. that you 6. It was ten o’clock _____ he came back home. A. when B. that C. since D. after 7. It was not until he came back _____ he knew the police were looking for him. A. which B. since C. that D. before 一、如果强调句型指现在或未来情况用 It is,指过去情况用 It was。 二、被强调部分往往是句子的主语、宾语、时间状语和地点状语,但有时也可强调比较复杂 的内容,如时间状语从句、条件状语从句、not until...、not only...but also...、...as well as...等结 构。 三、被强调部分是人称代词时,原句用什么格,强调句也用什么格。 四、被强调部分如果是主格人称代词时,who/that 后的动词应和该主格人称代词在人称和数 上保持一致。 五、关于强调词的选用,强调人时可用 who 或 that；如果不强调人一律用 that。此时绝不能 和定语从句混淆,被强调部分为时间状语、地点状语或者原因状语时不能误用 when、where 或 why。 例 1：It was him who/that I saw the day before yesterday. 析：该句原句为：I saw him the day before yesterday.该句指过去情况,所以强调句型应使用 It was 开头； 被强调部分为原句宾语-宾格人称代词 him,所以强调句型仍用 him 作被强调部分； 被强调部分指人,所以用 who 或 that。 例 2：It was in the street that I met him yesterday. 析： 该句原句为： I met him in the street yesterday.该句仍指过去情况,所以强调句型仍以 It was 开头,被强调部分虽为地点状语,但不能用 where,只能用 that。 例 3：It was because he was seriously ill that he died.
析：该句原句为：He died because he was seriously ill.被强调部分为结构复杂的原因状语从 句,但不能用 why,只能用 that。 六、强调句型的一般疑问句结构为：Is /Was it?who／that?? 例 4：Was it during the Second World War that he died？ 析：该句虽不以 It was 开头,而以 Was it 开头,是强调句型的一般疑问句形式。所以当被强调 部分为时间状语时,应用 that。 七、 强调句型的特殊疑问句结构为： 特殊疑问词+is /was it that??(强调句型的特殊疑问句只 能强调特殊疑问词) 例 5：Where was it that you found your lost pen？ 析： 该句虽以 Where 开头,但后边的 was it 仍说明该句使用的是强调句型,被强调部分为特殊 疑问词 where,表地点,所以应使用 that。 八、强调句型中的 is /was 前面可用 must /may /might 等表推测的情态动词。 例 6：It might be in this room that he met her. 析：该句 It was 的 was 前面虽用 might,但该句仍然是强调句。 九、被强调部分为时间状语和地点状语时,有可能先接定语从句,再接强调句型,应多加思考, 不能混用。 例 7：It was on October 1st,1949when he joined the Party that he was killed. 析： 该句的中心不是说明 1949 年 10 月 1 日他入党,而是说 1949 年 10 月 1 日他被杀害,he joined the Party 是定语从句,所以,首先是 when 引导的定语从句,然后是 that 强调句。 十、判断强调句型的使用是否正确的方法是将强调结构去掉,如果去掉强调结构后的句子仍 然正确,强调句型就正确,否则就不正确。 例 8：It was six years ago that he went to Tokyo. 析： 该句强调句型使用正确,因为去掉强调结构后,该句仍然是一正确句子。 即： Six years ago he went to Tokyo. It is ?that 英语句型系列补充强化训练 1.--Where was＿＿＿＿＿＿you picked up the wallet﹖ --Just near the school gate. A. it B. it that C. the place D. the place that 2. I must find out why＿＿＿＿＿＿so many students made the same mistake. A. is it that B. was it which C. it is what D. it was that 3. How many years is it＿＿＿＿＿＿your sister came to work here﹖ A. after B. since C. before D. until 4. Is it in the factory＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿you visited last week＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿this kind of car is made﹖ A.／? that B. where ? when C. where ? that D.／? when 5.＿＿＿＿It's a long time＿＿＿＿＿＿＿I saw you last. --Yes ? and what a pity since it will be a long time＿＿＿＿＿＿we see each other again. A. since ? before B. before ? since C. until ? after D. after ? until 6. It was because of bad weather＿＿＿＿＿＿the football match had to be put off.
第 4 页 共 8 页
A. so B. so that C. why D. that 7.It was his remarks＿＿＿＿＿left me wondering about his real purpose. A. which B. what C. where D. that 8. -- Was it in 1969＿＿＿＿＿＿the American astronaut succeeded＿＿＿＿＿＿landing on the moon﹖ --- Quite right. A. when ? on B. that ? on C. when ? in D. that ? in 9.It was not until 1920＿＿＿＿＿＿regular radio broadcasts began.? NMET 95 ? A. while B. which C. that D. since 10.＿＿＿＿＿＿is a fact that English is being accepted as an international language.? NMET 95 ? A. There B. This C. That D. It 11.＿＿＿＿＿was in 1979＿＿＿＿＿I graduated from the university.? NMET 98 ?上海? A. That ? that B. It ? that C .That ? when D. It ? when 12. It was for this reason＿＿＿＿＿＿her uncle moved out of New York and settled down in a small village. ? NMT 2001 春,上海? A. which B. why C. that D. how 13. It is the protection for the trees＿＿＿＿really matters ? rather than how many trees are planted. A. what B. that C.／D. which 14.-- Was that the new comer who walked by﹖＿＿＿＿＿. A. It must be that B. It must have been C. He must be D. This must have been 15. Our classroom is very clean.Do you nowho＿＿cleanedit﹖ A. was it that B. it was that C. was it who D.he was 16. Now then ? children. It's high time you＿＿＿＿＿＿and dressed. A. washed B. should wash C. were washed D. are washed 17.＿＿＿＿＿the people have become the master of their own country＿＿＿＿＿＿＿science can really serve the people. A. It is only then；that B. It was that；when C. It is only when；that D. It was when；then 18. It was＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿I met Mr. Green in Shanghai. A. ten years since B. many years ago that C. five years until D. Two months when 强调结构(It is / was + 被强调部分 + that / who...)由于其实用性强、易与其它句型结合、创 新力度大而受到命题者的青睐。 本文结合高考试题,对强调结构的易考点进行归纳,希望能帮 助同学们攻克这一语法现象。 一、 考查强调结构的基本形式 强调结构的基本形式是"It is / was + 被强调部分 + that / who...",可以用来强调主语、宾语、
状语等,一般不能强调谓语动词。 [原题再现] It is the ability to do the job ________ matters, not where you come from or what you are. A. one B. that C. what D. it 答案: B 二、 考查一般疑问句的强调结构 一般疑问句的强调结构句型为:Is / Was it + 被强调部分 + that / who...? [原题再现] Was ________ that I saw last night at the concert? A. it you B. not you C. you D. yourself 答案: A 三、考查特殊疑问句的强调结构 特殊疑问句的强调结构句型为:特殊疑问词( Who / What / When / Where / Why / How...)+is / was it that...?例如: Why was it that Li Lei came late again? 这类强调结构置于从句中时应使用陈述语序: The question is who it is that we can trust. [原题再现] I have always been honest and straight-forward, and it doesn't matter ________ I'm talking to. A. who is it B. who it is C. it is who D. it is whom 答案: B 四、 考查对 not...until...句式的强调 对 not...until...句式的强调有固定的句型,即 It is / was not until...that...。 [原题再现] It was not ________ she took off her dark glasses ________ I realized she was a famous film star. A. when; that B. until; that C. until; when D. when; then 答案:B 五、 考查强调句型的反意疑问句及回答 强调句型的反意疑问句及回答应与 It is / was... that...结构保持一致。 [原题再现] - Wasn't it Dr. Wang who spoke to you just now? - ________. A. I didn't know he was B. Yes, it was C. No, he wasn't D. Yes, he did 答案:B 六、考查强调结构与其它相似结构的区别 强调结构与其它含有 it 的结构非常相似,很容易混淆。 区别的办法是去掉 It is / was... that ... 结构后,句子依然成立的是强调结构。 [原题再现] It was evening ________ we reached the little town of Winchester.
第 5 页 共 8 页
A. that B. until C. since D. before 答案: D 一、强调结构的形式为“It is（was）＋被强调部分＋that（who, whom）＋其它成分”。在 这个句型中, It 本身没有词义, 它只帮助改变句子结构, 使某一部分受到强调。如: I saw him in the park yesterday. It was I that／who saw him in the park yesterday. 昨天是我在公园看见他的。 It was him that／whom I saw in the park yesterday. 昨天我在公园看见的人是他。 It was in the park that I saw him yesterday. 昨天我是在公园看见他的。 It was yesterday that I saw him in the park. 我是昨天在公园看见他的。 二、使用此句型时应注意以下几点 1. 原句中的谓语动词时态是一般过去时、过去将来时、过去进行时或过去完成时等表过去 的时态时, 用 It was... that... 。属于表现在的时态时, 用 It is... that... 。如: It is the computer that is doing many jobs. 是计算机做了许多工作。 When was it that the Long March started? 长征是在何时开始的? 2. 被强调部分无论是单数还是复数, It 后的动词均用单数形式, 即 is 或 was。如: It is they who have finished cleaning the classroom. 打扫完教室的人是他们。 3. 被强调部分指人时, It is（was）... 后用 who, whom 或 that 均可; 指事物或情况时, 通常 用 that（一般不用 when, where, which 等）。如: It was yesterday that he saw me in the park. （不可用 when） It is her whom you should ask. （还可用 who／that） It was in the street that they quarreled. （不可用 where） 4. 被强调部分如果是原句的主语, who／that 后面的谓语在人称和数上应与原句主语保持 一致。如: It was they that were talking and laughing. 是他们又说又笑的啊。 5. 强调双宾语时, 无论是强调直接宾语还是间接宾语, 要根据适当情况加上介词 to 或 for 等。如: It was a new dictionary that Tom gave to me last night. （＝Tom gave me a new dictionary last night. ）汤姆昨晚给我的是一本新词典。 It was a red shirt that John bought for me as a birthday present. （＝John bought me a red shirt as a birthday present. ）作为生日礼物约翰送我的是一件红衬衫。 6. 对 not... until... 句型强调时, 要把 not 连同 until 短语或从句一起提前。如: It was not until I spoke to him that he noticed me. （＝He didn't notice me until I spoke to him. ） 直到我跟他说话他才注意到我。 7. 强调特殊疑问句的疑问词时, 要将疑问词置于句首, 句子结构仍是疑问句形式。如: Where was it that you put the book? （＝Where did you put the book? ）你把书放在哪里了? Who was it that called me this morning? （＝Who called me this morning? ）今天早上是谁打 电话给我的? 8. 此结构还可以强调目的状语、方式状语和以 because 引导的原因状语从句。但不能强调 由 since 或 as 引导的原因状语从句, 也不能强调由 although 和 whereas 引导的句子。 如:
It was because he was ill that we decided to return home. 那是因为他生病了, 所以我们才决定 回家的。 Was it in Beijing you first met him? （＝ Was it in Beijing that you first met him? ）你第一次 见到他时是在北京吗? What is it you want me to do? （＝What is it that you want me to do? ）你究竟要我做什么? 三、使用强调句型时要分清以下两种情况 1. 要分清是主语从句还是强调结构。判断这种句型是主语从句还是强调结构, 方法是将 It is（was）... that 去掉, 去掉后整个句子结构和意义不受其影响的话为强调结构, 反之则是 主语从句。试比较: It was yesterday that he met her in the street. （＝Yesterday he met her in the street. ）是昨天他 在街上碰见了她。（强调结构） It was said that he met her in the street yesterday. （＝That he met her in the street yesterday was said. ）据说他昨天在街上碰见了她。（主语从句） It is clearly that she speaks. （＝She speaks clearly. ）她说话吐字清楚。（强调结构） It is clear that she has heard of it. （＝ That she has heard of it is clear. ）显然她已听说了这件 事。（主语从句） 2. 要分清是强调结构中的 that（who-） 分句还是用作关系代词的定语从句中的 that（who-） 分句。判断的方法还是将 It is（was）... that 去掉, 去掉后整个句子结构和意义不受其影响 的话是强调结构中的 that- （ who- ）分句 , 反之则是用作关系代词的定语从句中的 that（who-）分句。如: It is money that is most needed. （＝ Money is most needed. ）（强调结构中的 that） It is the money that he returned me. （定语从句中的 that） 强调句是一种修辞，是人们为了表达自己的意愿或情感而使用的一种形式，下面简单归纳 它的几种结构： 1．用助动词“do（does／did）＋动词原形”来表示强调： He does know the place well．他的确很熟悉这个地方。 Do write to me when you get there．你到那儿后务必给我来信。 2．用形容词 very，only，single，such 等修饰名词或形容词来加强语气： That's the very textbook we used last term．这正是我们上学期用过的教材。 You are the only person here who can speak Chinese．你是这里唯一会讲汉语的人。 Not a single person has been in the shop this morni ng． 今天上午这个商店里连一个人都没 有。 How dare you buy such expensive jewels？你怎么敢买这么贵的宝石呢？ 3．用 ever，never，very，just 等副词和 badly，highly，really 等带有－l y 的副词来进 行强调： Why ever did you do so？你究竟为什么要这么做？ He never said a word the whole day．一整天，他一句话也没说。 You've got to be very，very careful．你一定得非常、非常小心。 This is just what I wanted．这正是我所要的。
第 6 页 共 8 页
He was badly wounded．他伤得很严重。 I really don't know what to do next．我的确不知道下一步该怎么做。 4．用 in the world，on earth，at all 等介词短语可以表达更强的语气（常用于疑问句）： Where in the world could he be？他到底会在哪儿？ What on earth is it？它究竟是什么？ Do you know at all？你到底知不知道？ 5．用感叹句来表示强烈的感情，突出说话人的情感： How interesting a story it is！这是一个多么有趣的故事啊！ Oh，what a lie！啊，真是弥天大谎！ 6．用重复来表示强调： Why！why！The cage is empty！啊！啊！箱子是空的。 They walked for miles and miles．他们走了好多英里。 7．用倒装句（也就是将要强调的句子或被强调的部分置于句首）来加强语气： On the table were some flowers．桌上摆着一些花。（强调地点） Many a time have I climbed that hill．我多次翻过那座山。 Only in this way，can we solve this problem．只有这样，我们才能解决这个问题。 8．用强调句型：“It is（was）＋被强调的部分＋that（who）＋原句其它部分”来强 调说话人的意愿： It was on Monday night that all this happened．所有这一切发生在周一晚上。 It's me that he blamed．他怪的是我。 9．用 If 来表示强调： 1）If 从句＋I don't know who／what，etc．does／is／has，etc．；主语部分也可以用 nobody does／is／has，etc．或 everybody does／is／has，et c．来代替（这里的 if 从句往往 是正话反说，反话正说）： If he can't do it， I don't know who can． 要是他做不了这件事， 我不知道还有谁能做。 （强 调只有他能做） If Jim is a coward，everybody is．要是吉姆是个胆小鬼，那么人人都是胆小鬼。（强调 吉姆不是胆小鬼） 2）if 从句＋it be 主句（此用法可看成是第 8 中强调句型的变形，即把所要强调的内容 放在 it be 的后面，把其它内容放在由 if 引导的从句中）： If anyone knew the truth，it was Tom．如果说谁了解事实的真相，那便是汤姆。 If there is one thing he loves，it is money．如果说世界上还有他爱的东西，那便是金钱。 10．用破折号、黑体字也可以表示强调，加强语气： It's because of hard work—ten years of hard work．那是因为艰苦的工作--十年艰苦的工 作！ He began the work in late May．他在五月底开始的这项工作。（强调时间） 1. ____ was Jane that I saw in the library this morning. A. It B. He C. She D. That 2.when was it you called me yesterday?
A. until B. that C. then D. so 3. It was on October 1st ____ new China was founded. A. which B. when C. as D. that 4. Was it because he was ill ____ he asked for leave? A. and B. that C. that’s D. so 5. It is imagination makes the world colorful, full of vigor and vitality. [2007 上海春] A．where B．what C．that D．when 6. It _____ we had stayed together for a couple of weeks ____ I found we had a lot in common. [2007 浙江卷] A. was until; when B. was until; that C. wasn’t until; when D. wasn’t until; that 7. It is not who is right but what is right ______ is of importance. [2007 重庆卷] A. which B. it C. that D. this 8.It was on 12 May,2008______the earthquake of Wenchuan county, Sichuan province happened. A.since B.which C.that D.when. 9.It was Alice and her husband who saved the old man,_______? A.wasn’t it B.was it C.didn’t they D.did they 10.When asked to explain______made his lessons so exciting,the teache kept silent. A.what it is that B.that what it is C.what is it that D.that what is it
1. Who was it ______ put so many large stones on the road? A. this B. that C. he D. she 2. What a silly mistake it is ______ you’ve made! A. it B. this C. that D. which 3. It was not until midnight ______ the noise of the street stopped. A. that B. this C. since D. at which 4. Was ______ that I met at the railway station the other day? A. it you B. not you C. you D. that you 5. It was when she was about to go to bed ______ the telephone rang. A. since B. as C. that D. then 6. It may have been at Christmas ______ John gave Mary a handbag. A. before B. who C. that D. when
第 7 页 共 8 页
7. Why was ______ that the old woman was sent to prison? A. he B. it C. that D. because 8. It was his nervousness in the interview ______ probably lost him the job. A. which B. since C. that D. what 9. It was the boy ______ had been in prison ______ stole the money. A. who, where B. that, how C. who, that D. that, which 10. It might be I, who ______ caused the accident, who ______ to answer for it. A. has, is B. have, are C. has, am D. have, am 11. It was _____ I reached there _____ I began to know something about the matter. A. until, when B. until, that C. not until, that D. not when, that 12. It was _____ my father worked _____ I work now. A. where, that B. where, when C. that, where D. that, that 13. It was not until he came back ______ he knew the police were looking for him. A. which B. since C. that D. before 14. It’s more than half a century ______ the People’s Republic of China was liberated. A. when B. that C. since D. after 15. It was not ______ you had explained how ______ I managed to do it. A. for, that B. until, that C. for, when D. until, when 1. It _____ Mike and Mary who helped the old man several days ago. A. was B. are C. were D. had been 2. It was not until 1920 _____ regular radio broadcasts began. A. which B. when C. that D. since 3. She said she would go and she ________ go. A. didn’t B. did C. really D. would 4. It was the training _____ he had as a young man _____ made him such a good engineer. A. what; that B. that; what C. that; which D. which; that 5. — Were all three people in the car injured in the accident? — No, ______ only the two passengers who got hurt. A. there were B. it were C. there was D. it was
6. It was not until 1936___baseball became a regular part of Olympic Games. A. then B. which C. that D. when 7. ___in 1943___the harmful smog made its appearance in Los Angeles. A. Only… That B. It was… Then C. That it was… When D. It was… that 8. It was on the National Day___ she met with her separated sister. A. that B. where C. when D. which 9. ___the 1500's___the first European explored the coast of California. A. It was until……then B. It was not until … when C. It is until……that D. It was not until……that 10. ___in this room that our first meeting was held. A. Just when B. When C. Where D. It was 11. It was last night ___ I see the comet. A. the time B. when C. that D. which 12. It was only with the help of the local guide ___________. A. was the mountain climber rescued B. that the mountain climber was rescued C. when the mountain climber was rescued D. then the mountain climber was rescued 13. The Foreign Minister said, “_______ our hope that the two sides will work towards peace.” A. This is B. There is C. That is D. It is 14．Was _____ that I saw last night at the concert? A. it you B. not you C. you D. that yourself 15．It was _____ he said _____ disappointed me. A. what, that B. that, that C. what, what D. that, what 16．It was with great joy he received the news that his lost daughter had been found. A．because B．which C．since D．that 17. It is ______ any wonder that his friend doesn’t like watching television much. A. no B. such C. nearly D. hardly 18．It was back home after the experiment. A．not until midnight did he go B．until midnight that he didn’t go C．not until midnight that he went D．until midnight when he didn’t go 19．Was it in 1969 _____ the American astronaut succeeded _____ landing on the moon? A. when, on B. that, on C. when, in D. that, in 20. It is these poisonous products _______ can cause the symptoms of the flu, such as headache and aching muscles. A. who B. that C. how D. what 21．It is the ability to do the job _______matters not where you come from or what you are. A. one B. that C. what D. it 22. It was not until 1920 _____ regular radio broadcasts began. A. while B. which C. that D. since 23. _____ is a fact that English is being accepted as an international language.
第 8 页 共 8 页
A. There B. This C. That D. It 24. It was only with the help of the local guide ___________. A. was the mountain climber rescued B. that the mountain climber was rescued C. when the mountain climber was rescued D. then the mountain climber was rescued 25. Who was it _____ put so many large stones on the road? A. this B. that C. he D. she 26. What a silly mistake it is _____ you’ve made! A. it B. this C. that D. which 27. It was the boy _____ had been in prison _____ stole the money. A. who, where B. that, how C. who, that D. that, which 28. Why was _____ that the old woman was sent to prison? A. he B. it C. that D. what 29. It was when she was about to go to bed _____ the telephone rang. A. since B. as C. that D. then 30. It may have been at Christmas _____ John gave Mary a handbag. A. before B. who C. that D. when 【答案与解析】 1. 选 A。为强调句型 It is the children who are making so much noise 之省略。 2. 选 C。为强调句型，被强调成分为主语从句 that he often fails in exams。 3. 选 B。为强调句型，句意为“真正重要的在于保护树，而不在于种多少树”。 4. 选 A，整个句子为 it was ? that ? 格式的强调句式，即第二空要填 that；第一空填 where，where my father worked 为地点状语从句，为强调句的被强调部分。句意为“我现 在我父亲曾经工作过的地方工作”。 5. 选 A，为强调句的一般疑问句形式，其相应陈述句为 It was you that I saw ?。 6. 选 A。when 表示“当??的时候”，句首的 it 表示时间，全句意为“当他回到家时， 时间是 10 点钟。” 7. 选 C。为 He didn’t know the police were looking for him until he came back 之强调形式。 注意，not ? until ? 的强调句式通常为 It was not until ? that ? It is/was+...who/that 强调句型使用频率很高,高考也很注重对它的考查,然而该句型结构复杂,变化多样,在实际使 用过程中颇有难度。笔者认为使用强调句型时应注意下列十要素(本文前五个要素合并举例 说明,后五个要素分别举例说明) 1-18 key：BDBAA DDDCD BCBBB CCB 1-10 Keys 1-5 ABDBC 6-10.DCCAA 【参考答案】 1—5 BCAAC 6—10 CBCCD 11—15 CACCB 强调句 30 题的答案与解析 1--5ACBAD 6--10 CDADD 11--15 CBDAA 16--20 DDCDB 21--25 BCDBB 26-30 CCBCC