Unit 5 Music
贵州省思南中学 许义怀 制作
1. Do you like music? How does music make you feel? relaxed calm happy sad
2. Listen and see
if you can guess which music matches which picture./Can you name any music style?
Rock’n’ Orchestra Roll
Choral(合唱) Orchestra (管弦乐)
Country music (乡村音乐)
Classical music (古典音乐)
Folk music (民族音乐) Rock ’n’ roll (摇滚音乐)
3. What kind of music do you like better, Chinese or Western, classical or modern? Why? I like Chinese because I think Chinese music is easy to understand. It is our culture.
I like classical music because it is serious and make people inspired. It can last long.
Do you know any famous bands? List some if you do.
Back Street Boy
The May Day
Do you know the Monkees?
A big hit!
The Monkees is a band that was popular in the 1960s in America now it is still popular in the world today. The band first sang one of famous songs—Bubble gum.
THE BAND THAT WASN’T
1. The two musical bands mentioned in the passage are _______. A. the Westlife B. the Monkees C. the Beatles D. both B. & C. 2. "The Monkees" celebrated their former time as a real band in ______. A. 1970 B. 1971 C. 1980 D. 1996
Find the topic sentence of each paragraph. ? Paragraph 1: Have you ever wanted to be a
famous singer or musician?
Most musicians meet and form a 2: band because they like to write and play music .
? Paragraph 3: However, there was one band that
started in a different way
? Paragraph 4:
Their attractive performances were copied by other groups and their fans supported them fiercely.
Match the main ideas and the paragraphs. Para. 1 Para. 2 Para. 3 Para. 4 How most bands start. Many people want to be famous as singers or musicians. How the Monkees became popular and how they developed as a real band. The Monkees started in a different way.
True or False 1. A famous singer or musician usually belongs to a band. 2. Many musicians form a band because of their common interest in music. 3. Playing music to passers-by in the street is the first step to fame. 4. When performers make records and sell millions of copies, they are successful.
5. If we are honest with ourselves, most of us are afraid of being famous. 6. Many musicians meet and form a band because they like to write and play their own music. 7. The TV organizers had looked for five musicians who were lively and who could make good music. 8. “The Monkees” broke up in about 1960, but reunited in 1980.
Answer the following questions:
1.Why do most musicians like to be in a band with others?
Because they want to write and play music together. 2.Which two musical bands are mentioned in the passage? Beatles & Monkees
3.How do bands that are formed by high school students earn some extra money? They may play to passers-by in the street or subway so that they can earn some extra money.
4.When did the Monkees break up? They broke up in about 1970.
5. Do you agree that the jokes were more important than the music for this band? Why? Yes. Because the music was copied; they had to have jokes of their own to attract people.
How do most people form a band? Put the following steps in right order.
4 Make records. 3 Give performance in the pubs or clubs. 1 Musicians get together and play music
2 Play music in the street or subway.
Retell the text
“The Monkees” was formed in the 1960s in the USA. It began as a ____ TV _____. show The _________ of the band played ______ musicians jokes on each other as well as played music. In fact, it wasn’t a ____ real band at the very beginning. Most of the musicians were only ______ actors pretended to sing the songs when who __________ they were on the stage.
They became popular because of their humorous _________ performances. After a year or so, serious about their work they became more _______ sing their own songs. and started to play and _____
However, the band ______ broke up in about 1970
and reunited ________ in the mid-1980s.
你曾经想过要成为一个乐队里有名的歌手 或音乐家吗？你是否曾梦想过在音乐会上 面对成千上万的观众演唱，观众欣赏你的 歌唱为你鼓掌吗？你唱卡拉OK时是否假装 自己就是像宋祖英或刘欢一样著名的歌星 吗？说实在的，很多人把名和利看得很重。 那么，人们又是怎样一起组成乐队的呢？
许多音乐家聚在一起组成乐队，是因为他 们喜欢自己作曲，演奏自己的音乐。他们 开始可能是一组中学生，在某个人家里排 练音乐是成名的第一步。有时他们可能在 街上或地铁里为过路人演奏，这样他们可 以为自己或自己要买的乐器多挣一些钱。 后来，他们可能在酒吧或者俱乐部里演出， 这样他们可以得到现金。当然，他们希望 在录音棚里录音，然后卖掉上百万张碟， 从而成为百万富翁。
然而，也有一个用不同方式组建起来的乐 队。这支乐队叫“门基乐队”，它开始时 是以电视节目表演的形式出现的。组成乐 队的音乐人演奏音乐，还彼此打趣逗笑。 这些玩笑和音乐大多都在模仿“甲壳虫” 乐队。电视制作人原计划想寻找四位会唱 又会表演的乐手。他们在报纸上登了一则 广告，想招摇滚乐手，但他们只招到一个 满意的。乐队的其他三人只能用演员来代 替。
因为这些演员中有些人唱得不是很好，他 们不得不依靠队里的其他人帮助。所以在演 出的时候他们只是假唱。不管怎样，他们的 表演非常幽默以至于其他的乐队也开始模仿。 他们非常走红使得歌迷们为了更加熟悉他们 而成立了俱乐部。门基乐队每个星期都要在 电视上演唱由别的音乐家创作的歌曲。然而， 经过大约一年以后，门基乐队逐渐对自己的 工作认真起来，他们开始像一支真正的乐队 那样演唱自己创作的歌曲。
然后他们录制自己的唱片，并且开始巡回 表演他们自己的音乐。在美国，他们甚至 比“甲壳虫”乐队还要受欢迎，出售的录 音专辑还要多。“门基乐队”大约在1970 年左右解散，但是令人高兴的是，到80年 代中期他们再次聚首。在1996年，他们推 出了一张新的专辑，像真正的乐队一样以 此来庆祝他们以往的时光。
1 Join the correct parts of the sentences together. 1. They produced a new A. but only one person record in 1996 was accepted. 2. Most musicians get B. but reunited in the together and mid-1980s. 3. They put an C. form a band advertisement in the because they like to newspaper looking for write and play music. four rock musicians, D. to celebrate their 4. The first TV show time as a band. 5. However, the band E. was a big hit. broke up about 1970,
2 The main idea of each paragraph
main ideas Many people want to be famous as singers or musicians How most bands start
1 2 3
The monkees started in a different way
How the monkees became popular and how they developed a real band
3 In groups of four, choose the adjectives that you think best describe the Monkees. Then write down two or three sentences using the adjectives you have chosen to sum up your ideas. popular, lively, funny, foolish, attractive, crazy, noisy, humorous, famous, determined
4 In groups, discuss the following questions.
1 Do you think the TV organizers were right to call “the Monkees” a band when they did not sing or write their own songs? Why? 2 In your opinion, what is the most important thing for a successful band? Why?
1. music n. [u] 音乐, 乐曲, 乐谱 a piece of music e.g. Can you read music? musical adj.音乐的; 擅长音乐的; 喜爱音乐的 a musical box a musical child musician n. 音乐家
2. folk adj. 民间的 folk music/ folk dance
n. (1)(also US folks) 人们
e.g. Some folk(s) are never satisfied. 作主语时,谓语动词用复数形式 (2) (常用复数) 家里的人, 家属, 亲属 e.g. How are your folks?
3. roll v. 打滚, 滚动, 摇摆, 摇晃
e.g. Stones rolled down the hill.
The little dog rolled in the mud.
The ball rolled into the hole. n. 卷状物, 面包圈
a roll of 一卷…
a roll of bread a roll of film
1) roll up 把…卷起来 e.g. Roll up the map.
2) roll on (岁月)不断流逝
e.g. The years rolled on. 3) roll over 打滚, 翻身 e.g. The baby rolled over.
4.dream of / about (doing) sth 梦见, 梦想… I dream of/about becoming a millionaire. dream of sth./doing sth.梦想… dream of a better future dream of becoming famous When she was young, she dreamt of being a doctor in the future.
5. pretend v．假装 pretend sth./ to be .假装成…… pretend to do sth.假装做…… pretend to be doing sth.假装正在做…… pretend to have done sth.假装已经 做…… pretend ＋that从句 装作……，假装……
pretended a headache (1)He ______________________yesterday. 昨天他假装头疼。 pretend to know what we (2)We mustn't _________________ don't know.我们不应不懂装懂。 pretended to be dead (3)He ______________________ when he met a bear.当他遇到熊时就装死。
6．to be honest 说实在的；实话说 说实话，我认为我们没有获胜的机会。 To be honest, I don’t think we have a chance of winning. honestly speaking/ honestly 老实说 to be honest with you / to be frank with you 跟你说实话 be honest with sb. about sth. 关于某事对…坦诚 be honest in doing sth. 在做某事方面坦诚 注意：honest 前的不定冠词用an e.g. an honest boy
7. attach ……to doing sth. ①认为有（重要性、意义等）。 我认为这个研究很重要。 I attach great importance to this research. ②附上；连接； 贴一张近照到你的申请表上。 Attach a recent photo to your application form. ③ 贴，粘贴 他将标签（label）贴在行李箱上。 He attached a label to his trunk.
8. form n．形状，形态，外形；表格，形 式 v. (使)组成；形成；构成；排列 in the form of 以…的形式 fill in/out a form 填表格 form into 组成… 编成… form(＝set up) a club/ an organization 成立俱乐部/一个组织 form a good habit 养成好习惯 form the habit of＝fall/get into the habit of 养成…的习惯
9. passers-by 1). 由可数名词+介词、副词构成的复合名词， 把名词部分变成复数 lookers-on 旁观者two sons-in-law 两个女婿 2). 但是由man或woman构成的合成词, 复数前 后的词都要加复数。 men-doctors tooth-brushes women-servants boy-friends 3). 可数名词结尾的复合名词，把结尾变复数
10. earn vt. 赚(钱)；挣得；得到(名声、 地位等)；获得 earn one’s living/bread ＝make a living 谋生，维持生计 earn money＝make money 赚钱，挣钱 earn one’s own living 自食其力 earn a salary 挣工资 earn sb. praise/ a reputation 为某人赢得赞扬/名声
The evening performance begins at 8 o'clock. 晚上的演出八点开始。 put on a performance/performances表演 v. perform
perform very well at the circus. The monkeys ________ perform an operation/a play 进行手术/演一出戏
12. … , for which they are paid in cash. in cash 用现金，有现款 They also paid for their second house in cash. 他们还是用现金支付他们第二个房子。 rake in the cash 捞取大笔大笔的钱
13．play jokes/a joke on 戏弄…；和…开玩笑 have a joke with sb. 和某人开玩笑 make a joke/jokes about sb./sth. 关于某人/某事说笑话/开玩笑 play jokes on others in 1)It's not proper to _____________ public.在公众场所捉弄别人是不恰当的。 having a joke with you. 2)She was __________________ 她在跟你开玩笑。 make jokes about 3)Don't ___________________ the handicapped. 不要说关于残疾人的笑话。
14．rely on 依靠，信赖；指望
1)依靠，依赖。同live on/depend on “依赖…”
2)信任，依赖。同 believe in/depend on rely on one's own efforts 依靠自己的努力
rely on/upon sb. to do sth. 指望某人做某事
rely on/upon sb. doing sth. 相信某人会做… rely on/upon sb. for sth. 指望某人去得到某事 rely on/upon it that... 相信…(事情)，指望…
Rely on后如果要跟that 从句 ，一定要先 用形式宾语it 。
15．familiar adj. 熟悉的；常见的；通晓的 ；亲密的 (1)be familiar with 对…熟悉。其主语通常是 指“人”的名词；with后的宾语是主语所通 晓的事物。 (2)be familiar to 为…所熟悉。其主语通常是 人们所通晓的人或事物， to后的宾语常是指 “人”的名词。 (3)sb. be familiar with sb. 某人与某人亲密无 间
a familiar star to us. (1)Yao Ming is _____________ 姚明是我们大家所熟悉的明星。 familiar with the computer (2)Are you _____________
software they use?
你熟悉他们使用的计算机软件吗？ familiar to me. (3)This nursery rhyme is very __________
16. However, the band broke up in about 1970, but reunited in the mid-1980s. The party broke up when the police arrived.
解散，散去 The little boy broke up the radio to see what was wrong with it. 拆散，打碎 When will school break up? (学校)放假/结束
Learning about language
Discovering useful words and expressions 1. Find the word or expression for each of the following meanings from the text. musical instrument something used to 1._________________ make music musician person whose job is to play or 2._________ write music dream ofto imagine something would 3.________ come true
passer-byperson going past 4. ________ to be honest to tell exactly what one thinks. 5.___________ break upto go away in different directions 6.________ attach to connect something with another 7. ______
8. _____ earn to receive money for what you do
9.______ in cash paid in money but not by cheque
Answer key for Exercise 2 on Page 63
? 2 to imagine something is real as in a game
? 1 in addition ? 1 to trust someone or something to do what you need ? 1 (a person) well-known to you ? 1 to send out radio or television programmes
3. Complete this passage with the words and phrases below in their proper forms:
extra millionaire pub humorous
studio broadcast dream of familiar
play a joke on
dreamed of Susan and I loved jazz and we __________ becoming musicians. We decided to form a band so that we could earn some _____ extra pub The money by playing and singing in a ____. regulars there were very kind to us. They suggested we go to record our songs in a studio ______. We wondered if they were playing a joke on us as they were often very _______________ __________ humorous to each other.
However, to our great surprise, everything was organized and we made our record. Imagine our excitement when we heard it _________ on the radio for the first time! It broadcast was almost as exciting as later when we became ___________. millionaires Now whenever we go to the pub, we play our songs and buy drinks for the regulars. Although we are famous, we still like to play in _______ places. familiar
Discovering useful structures
Prep +whom/which attributive clauses
They may start as a group of highschool students, for whom practising their music in someone’s house is the first step to fame.
当先行词是物时，用介词+which引导定语从 句，而且只能加which，不能加that，例如： They produced a new record in 1996, with which they celebrated their former time as a
1. 根据介词和定语从句中谓语动词的习惯搭 配。例如： 1) Who is the man with whom you just shook hands？ 2) In the dark street there wasn’t a single D she could turn for help。 person _____ A. that B. who C. from whom D. to whom
解析：答案为 D 。介词 to 和定语从句中的 turn 构成固定搭配 turn to sb for help意为 “向某人求助”。 2. 根据定语从句意思的需要，此时不但要注 意其前的搭配也要注意其后的搭配。例如： He had a bad cold, because of which he didn’t attend the meeting。
后；二是位于句尾或动词后。 The lady to whom Mr Smith is talking lost her purse. = The lady whom Mr
Smith is talking to lost her purse.
如果介词与其前面的动词是固定搭配的 动词短语，介词不可前置。 Bob found the dictionary (that) I had been looking for.
注 意 1）介词后面的关系词不能省略。 2）that前不能有介词。 3）某些在从句中充当时间，地点或原因状语 的“介词+关系词“结构可以同关系副词 when，where 和 why 互换。
This is the house in which I lived two years
4. whose可转换为“ of +关系代词”型。 They live in a house, whose door opens to the south. They lived in a house, of which the door opens to the south. They lived in a house, the door of which open to the south.
1Underline the attributive clauses in the text that contain prep + whom/which. 1. Have you ever dreamed of playing in front of thousands of people at a concert, at which everyone is clapping
and appreciating your music?
2. They may start as a group of highschool students, for whom practising their music in someone’s house is the first step to fame. 3. Later they may give performances in pubs or clubs, for which they are paid in cash.
4. The musicians were to play jokes on each other as well as play music, most of which was based loosely on the Beatles. 5. However, after a year or so in which they became more serious about their work, the Monkees started to play and sing their own songs like a real band.
6. They produced a new record in
1996, with which they celebrated
their former time as a real band.
Answer Key for Exercise 2 on page 37 1. I remember the day when our band was formed as if it was yesterday. 2. The guitar with which Dave composed our first hit is in a music museum. 3. The name by which we were to become famous was chosen by Mike’s mum.
4. The show at which we played our first hits was in America. 5. The singer with whom we practised the most was Freddy. 6. The musicians in whom we have great interest toured Europe with us.
Answer Key for Exercise 3 on page 37 of which, who, at which, for which, in
which, during /in which, without whom
Suggested answers to Exercise 4 on page 37 1.It’s a building in which people exercise. 2. It’s a period of time during which people relax and enjoy themselves.
3. It’s a building from/in which people
can borrow books to read, then return
4. It’s a place of higher learning at which students study a particular subject to a high level. 5. He/She is a person to whom people go when they are sick.
6. It’s a place at which, if you are a
band, you can record your songs.
Answer Key for Exercise 1 on page 71 1. Simon helped Peter repair his guitar, for which (that) he was very grateful. 2. I like songs in (to) which the feeling of love is expressed.
3. I enjoyed my holiday during (on)
which I went to a concert of pop
4. I like my music teacher for whom (which) I have great respect. 5. I have many friends of whom (which) some are musicians. 6. Peter went to a concert at which (whom) his favourite band played and sang.
Answer Key for Exercise 2 on page 71 1 during which when
2. in which 3. in which 4. to which 5. for which 6. at which 7. in which where where where why when where
8. at which
9. the way in which
10. at which when
Answer Key for Exercise 3 on page 71 without whom, for which, in which, for whom
Listening, reading and speaking
1 In pairs discuss how your life would change if you became famous overnight. Make a list of the changes.
2 Make sure you know the meaning of the following words. Tick those you know and look up the others in the dictionary.
3 Listen to the story of “Freddy the Frog (I)” once and then What’s the main idea of the story?
This story is about a singer who joined a band and became a famous singer.
4 Listen to the tape and decide which are true and which are false.
1. Freddy had changed from a man to a frog. F
Freddy in the story remains a frog.
2. He felt lonely in his lake till he met his friends on the lily leaf. T
3.The singers of the band could sing very loudly. T
4. Freddy thought he could sing as well as the other singing frogs. F He wanted to join in and make friends with the other frogs. 5. Freddy was very confident about his singing. F Freddy was shy about his singing and asks them politely if he can join in.
6. He sang the song to ask the other frogs to be his friends.
He joined in because he wanted
the other frogs to be his friends.
FREDDY, THE FROG (Ⅰ) Freddy the frog dipped his long, thin legs into the water. Within a few short weeks he had changed from a small tadpole into the beautiful animal he was now.
He smiled to himself. Then suddenly he heard a fine deep sound that carried far into the darkness of the quiet night. Freddy looked up. “Other frogs! I must try and find them,” he thought. “It is so hard being a grown-up frog on my own.”
He began to swim slowly towards the sound. Suddenly he knocked into a large water lily pad. On it sat three confident frogs and they were playing instruments. Freddy climbed onto the leaf. “Can I sing with you?” he asked quietly. “Of course,” they said. He opened his mouth wide and
Help! I need somebody, Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone, Help! When I was young and so much younger than today, I never needed anybody’s help in any way.
But now those days are gone. I’m not so self-assured! Now I find I’ve changed my mind. I’ve opened up the door. Help me if you can, I’m feeling down. And I do appreciate you being round. Help me get my feet back on the ground. Won’t you please, please help me!
5 Now read more about Freddy’s life.
FREDDY THE FROG (Ⅱ)
Hello, everyone. My name is Freddy.
When Freddy was young, he was a little tadpole.
As time went by quickly, he soon became a frog .
One day, Freddy sat on the water lily leaf and dipped his long, thin legs into the water.
Suddenly, he heard some music across the lake. ……
We formed a band and soon we became reading famous and went to Britain to give performances. Then what would happen in Britain? We would succeed or fail?
Questions: 1. What was Freddy’s most exciting invitation? To perform on a TV program.
2. How did the fans like them? wait, the telephones, ask
3. How did things go wrong?
be followed, recognize, find, hide their personal life feeling
4. Did Freddy and his band get a great
success in Britain?
Yes, they got a great success and became very popular in Britain.
6 Summarize the main idea of the story in one sentence. Freddy and his band’s life was greatly influenced after they became famous, so they chose to go back to the lake.
7 Imagine you are Freddy, and
you’ve returned to your home — the lake. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of becoming famous.
The advantages of being famous
? ? ? ? ? Becoming rich Doing a job you want to do Having many fans People enjoying your music Easy to meet important people
The disadvantages of being famous ? Not peaceful and not quiet ? Private life being discussed and troubled ? Not free to do your own things
Speaking and writing
you are going to form your own band. Have a discussion in a group of four.
S1: What music shall be performed in our
band? I like folk music. What about you?
S2: I’d like to suggest Chinese folk music. I
like it very much. What do you all think?
S3: I don’t mind what music we choose as long as I don’t have to sing. I think we should pretend to play an instrument. Maybe I can bring in my brother’s guitar. S4: Yes. That sounds good but let me say that I don’t like to sing in public so I think we should have a backing group that supports the main singer. What do you think?
S1: Who’s the best singer here? S2: I’m in the school choir. S3: Me too. Why don’t we sing a Chinese folk song together with a guitar and one backing singer. S1: It’s OK by me. S4: Now all we have to do is to choose the song. Let’s make a list of our favourites …
2 Write an e-mail to Freddy. Based on your discussion above, tell him your ideas and ask him for advice on how to make your band successful.
Sample letter Dear Freddy, My name is Li Hua. I’m beginning a band with my friends. However, we have never been in a band before. Could you please give us some advice? I would like to know what music to play and we cannot decide.
I like pop music but most of my friends like rock ‘n’ roll. Liu Mei likes rap. How are we to decide what to play? Do you suggest we play a little of all of these types of music? Or should we only play one kind of music? How did you and your friends decide what to play?
We hope you can give us some advice. Yours hopefully, Li Hua
1 sort out 整理;整顿;惩罚 Please sort the letters out. I spent a happy afternoon sorting out my old photos.
I’ll give you a week to sort out your men. If you don’t stop making trouble, I’ll come and sort you out.
sort (out) … from… 把…从…挑出来
We must sort out the good apples from the bad.
2. not long after ……后不久
Not long after his arrival, they began to work.
Before long he went abroad. 不久
It will be long before he goes abroad again.
It was not long before he went abroad. 不久
3. on a tour (of a place): visit a place When they visited Beijing on a tour, they went on a tour of the Great Wall, the
Summer Palace and so on.
4. Freddy was now quite confident when he went into the hall. be confident + 从句 对……有信心
be confident of (about, in ) 对……有信心
be confident + 从句 对……有信心 He is confident that he’ll pass the driving test. be confident of (about, in ) 对……有信心 Tom is confident of his ability to overcome the difficulty. He is confident of passing the driving test. Don’t be too confident in your own opinion. have confidence in We must have confidence in ourselves.
5. afterwards adv. 后来; 以后
Afterwards he had a rest in the garden.
Soon afterwards he came back home.
Four days afterwards he went abroad. backwards eastwards 向后地 向东地 来回地
backwards and forwards
6. His most exciting invitation was to perform on a TV programme called “Top of the Pops”. They can either accept or reject your invitation.
perform v. 表演, 履行, 执行, 表现
performance n. 表演
performer n. 表演者
They put on a performance last night.
What play will be performed tomorrow? Perform your promise. The car performs well on hills. One should perform one’s duties.
7. Then things went wrong, Freddy and his band could not go out without being followed. go wrong ……出了毛病 = Something is wrong with… = There is something wrong with… My watch went wrong yesterday. What’s wrong with you? He was done wrong. 他受了冤枉。
8. above all
more than everything else: What a student should do, above all, is to do well in his studies. 学生该做的最重要的事是学好功课。 He is strong, brave and ,above all, honest. 他坚强，勇敢，尤其诚实。
9. come up with 想出(主意,回答等); 赶上; 提出 She has come up with a good idea. 她想出了一个不错的主意。 He couldn't come up with an answer. 他答不上来。 He came up with a new suggestion. 他提出了一项新建议。 I came up with her as she was rounding the corner.
10. stick to 坚持; 坚守; 忠于; 紧跟 stick-stuck-stuck He always sticks to his promise.(原则; 诺言) He always sticks to his post. He’ll stick to her whatever happens. Stick to me or you’ll get lost.
11. in addition 另外；也 They eat a great deal of fruit in addition. in addition to 的含义是“除了……之外 有”，相当besides. She speaks three foreign languages in addition to English.
Write down what you have learned about different kinds of music. From this unit, we have learned there are many different kinds of music in the world, such as Choral, Orchestra, Folk music, Rock ’n’ roll, Country music, Classical music, Jazz, Rap and so on. We also know that music is of great importance in our life and if there is no music, life would be no value.
From this unit you have also learned
useful verbs: roll, pretend, attach, form, earn, perform, rely, broadcast, reunite, dip …. useful nouns: jazz, musician, passer-by, instrument, performance, cash, pub, studio, actor, addition, devotion, invitation, beard ….
useful adjectives: folk, extra, humourous, familiar, attractive, confident, brief, briefly, afterwards, sensitive, painful…. useful expressions: dream of, to be honest,
attach…to, in cash, play jokes on, rely on, be/get familiar with, or so, break up, in addition, sort out, above all…. a new grammar item: Prep +whom/which attributive clauses
Reading For Fun
Stick to it and stay with what is true in your heart. Music is fun, and is for your spirit! Try many different styles of music, and always remember that music will never be a waste of your time. --Robin Spielberg 坚持下去吧，你内心认为是正确的，就跟 它呆下去。音乐是开心的，它是你的精神支 柱。各种不同类型的音乐都要试一试。一定 要记住，音乐绝不会浪费你的时间。 --罗宾· 斯皮尔伯格
I have never thought of writing for reputation and honour. What I have in my heart must come out; that is the reason why I compose. --Ludwing Van Beethoven
我从来没想过要为出名和荣耀而作曲。我 内心的东西一定要冒出来，那就是我要谱曲 的原因。 --路德维希· 凡· 贝多芬
Without music, life is a journey through a desert. --Pat Conroy
没有音乐，生命就像在沙漠中的旅行。 --派特· 康洛伊
Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside us. --Unknown 我们大多数人都是带着音乐走进坟墓的。 --佚名
Answer Key for Exercise 1 on page 70 1. sensitive 2. earn
3. sort 5. brief 4. actor 6. pub
The hidden word: instrument
Answer Key for Exercise 2 on page 70 invitation, perform, familiar with, play a joke, beard, confident, performance, dipped, Afterwards, painful
Suggested answers to Exercise 3
1. This is the home I have always
dreamed of ! When can we move in?
2. You can be honest with me since I
am familiar with the situation.
3. He likes playing jokes on others
but is very sensitive if others play
jokes on him.
4. For a brief moment I forgot the pain in my leg as I laughed at the humorous jokes of the actor. 5. There are many reasons for his success. Afterwards we agreed that above all the love and devotion of his fans had made his career successful.
6. For the next year or so I will have to rely
on my son to support the family.