Unit 5 The Power of Nature
Remember what happened on Dec 26, 2004?
you know any other natural dis
asters ? Please work with your partners and make a list of natural disasters .
? What do you know about volcano? ? Do you know how a volcano erupts?
Ash cloud/volcanic ash Crater
Boiling rock erupts from the crater; the lava flows slowly down the mountain.
More about the volcano
1. How is a volcano formed?
The rocks under the earth become hotter and hotter and erupt from the mountain.
2. Where is most possible for a volcano to erupt?
Near the oceans.
3. What types of volcanoes do you know?
An extinct volcano
An active volcano dormant volcano Haleakala Crater, the largest dormant volcano in the world Maui, Hawaii
extinct volcano (=one that is no longer active at all) dormant volcano (=one that is not active at the moment) active volcano (=one that may erupt at any time)
What qualities are needed for a volcanologist?
Are you suitable for being a volcanologist ?
Answer “yes”or “no” to the following questions.
1 Do you like working outside as well as inside? 2 Do you enjoy travelling to unusual places? 3 Do you enjoy taking risks? 4 Do you dislike doing the same thing every day? 5 Do you like adventure in your life? 6 Are you interested in studying rocks and other things that make up the surface of the earth?
I would like/ wouldn’t like to be a volcanologist because...
An Exciting Job
Skim the text and answer the following questions:
1. What is the writer? 2. When did he first see an eruption? How did it look like? 3. What was he wearing when getting close to the crater? And what was the result?
1. What is the writer?
He is a volcanologist working for the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. He mainly collects information about Mount Kilauea.
2. When did he first see an eruption? How did it look like?
It was in the second week after he arrived in Hawaii. It was very bright although it was night. Red lava fountained hundreds of meters into the air and it was a fantastic sight.
3. What was he wearing when getting close to the crater? And what was the result?
He was wearing white protective suits that covered his whole body, helmets, big boots and special gloves, just like a spaceman. As a result, it made him difficult to walk.
What kind of things should a volcanologist do?
Collect and evaluate information about volcanoes.
2. What is the volcanologist wearing when getting close to the crater?
White protective suits that covered his whole body, helmets, big boots, special gloves. He looks just like a spaceman.
The main idea of the passage: Part 1(Para 1-2) The writer’s job and its importance Part 2(Para 3-4) The writer’s experience of watching the volcano eruption Part 3(Para 5) The reasons for the writer’s enthusiasm about his job
can warn people Part one It(Para 1- Para 2) when the volcano is going to erupt and save many lives.
1) Why is a volcanologist’s job important?
2) Where is Mount Kilauea? In Hawaii.
3) The writer doesn't mind the occasional
danger danger of his job because ___________ excites him and make him feel alive ________________________________.
Part two (Para 3- Para 4)
1. Why is the lava that flows on Mount Kilauea more dangerous than the actual eruption? 2. What made the author realize that an eruption occurred? a. I heard a strange sound. 2 b. my bedroom became as bright as day. 3 c. my bed began shaking. 1 4 d. I ran out of the house into the back garden.
Part two (Para 3- Para 4)
3. What does the writer mean by using “lucky” in the sentence “I was eruption. ?It was his first sight of anlucky enough to have
a much closer look him to ?It was the first time forat it.”? watch the crater.
4. Why did the scientists have to get close to the volcano after it began erupting? To get some lava for later study.
Part three (Para 5)
What attracts the writer after he has studied volcanoes for more than twenty years?
The author is impressed by the beauty of the eruption and also by its potential to cause great damage.
Scan the text and answer the following questions:
1.Why is a volcanologist’s job important? Volcanologists study volcanoes so that they can warn people when the volcano is going to erupt and so save many lives. 2. Where is Mount Kilauea?
Mount Kilauea is in Hawaii.
3. Why is the lava that flows on Mount Kilauea more dangerous than the actual ` eruption? The lava flows down the mountain and can cover up or burn villages in its path. The rocks that erupt from the volcano usually don’t damage anything because no one lives near the crater. 4. What caused the writer’s bedroom to become as bright as day even though it was night? The light that was caused by the red-hot rocks and gases that erupted from the volcano.
5. Why did the scientists have to get close to the volcano after it began erupting? The scientists needed to get samples of the lava so they could study them.
6. Why was it difficult for the writer to walk towards the edge of the crater? The author was wearing special protective clothing that made it difficult to walk.
7. What does the writer find impressive about volcanoes even after studying them for many years? The writer finds their beauty and also their potential to cause great destruction.
Having learned a little more about
the work of a volcanologist, do you
think it is a occupation you would
enjoy? Give your reasons.
No. I probably wouldn’t enjoy
this job because I would have to
live in other countries and also I don’t like being in dangerous.
Also, I’m not very good at
Yes, I’d like to do a job like this because I would enjoy working outside and I think I would enjoy the adventure. It would be exciting to meet people from different countries and I would feel good about helping people avoid danger.
Suggested answers to Exercise 2 on page 35 Essential skills
Degree and/or Doctor’s degree in geology Interest in Earth science which includes: ?knowledge of volcanoes ?knowledge how magma (hot, liquid rock) erupts and how it behaves ?research skills ?skill in analysing and interpreting research results and other information ?practical skills for performing experiments and operating scientific equipment
Computer skills Foreign languages Practical skills such as: ?the ability to read maps. ?problem-solving skills. ?planning and organizational skills. ?communication skills. ?writing skills, for writing reports and for publications.
活火山 死火山 休眠火山 火山学
pl. volcanoes an active volcano an extinct volcano a dormant volcano volcanology biology -logy: “…… 学/论” oceanology volcanologist scientist -ist “……学家 ” pianist
It's many years since Mount Vesuvius last erupted.
Violence has erupted on the streets. erupt into laughter/shouting/crying 突然大笑/叫喊/大哭
He erupted into laughter without any reason.
3. alongside 1) prep. with “和” ; beside “在...旁边” It’s a pleasure to work alongside such men.
The boat pulled up alongside the dock（码头）.
2) adv. 在旁边;沿着;靠拢着;并排地 The police car drew up alongside. 拓展： alongside of 在……旁边，与……并排，， 与……相比 alongside with 与……一起， 除…….以外
4 . equipment 【u】 n. 配备,装备 The complete equipment of the new hospital will take a year. 把这个新医院的设备配齐要化一年时间。 设备， 器材 This is a usual piece of equipment for the kitchen. medical / office equipment equip v. 装备,使有准备使能够做某事 Equip ourselves with knowledge Equip the army with modern weapons
bored I am _______ with the same old routine day after day. boring The book is _________.
I am sorry I spoke for so long. I hope I didn’t
_______ you. bore My father is always _________ us with his boring
stories about the war. bore sb. to death 使某人厌烦得要命
6. appoint vt.任命,指派 appoint sb. as/to be They appointed him (to be) manager. 约定,指定;安排 Our visitors arrived at the appointed time. 拓展： appoint sb. to do sth. appoint a time / place / for sth. / to do sth. The time appointed for the meeting is 10:30. appointment n. (尤指正式的)约会 +with have an appointment with sb. 与某人约会 I have an appointment with them in the evening.
7. evaluate 评估，评价 没见过他的工作，我无法评估他的能力。 evaluate his ability I cannot __________________ without seeing his work. evaluate water quality , evaluate method ,
evaluate factor evaluation n. 评估，评价，评估报告 They made an intensive evaluation of the health care program.
8. burn to the ground 完全(楼房等)烧毁 He has no place to live in because his house has been burnt to the ground. ? 与burn搭配的常用词组有： burn away烧掉 Half of the candle had burnt away. ? burn down 渐渐烧完 The room grew colder as the fire burnt down. ? burn sth. down 把……烧得精光 Don’t forget to turn off the gas----you might burn the house down.
? burn up 烧得更旺 He put more wood on the fire to make it burn up. ? burn sth. up 把……烧掉 He has burnt up all the garden rubbish. ? burn off 烧掉某物，消耗 ? burn to death 烧死 ? burn out 烧光 ? burn oneself out 耗尽某人精力
9. wave v. 1）指固定的物体上下摆动或摇动 2）（指人）挥手、招手、摆手 3）（使某物）呈弧形 a flag waving in the breeze , a field of waving corn; He waved ( to us ) when he saw us. She has her hair waved .
n. 波浪， The storm whipped up (掀起了) huge waves. 拓展： wave band （无线电波）波段 wave length （光波、声波等的）波长 in waves 一批一批，一阵一阵 wave sth. aside 不理会某事
10. However, the eruption itself is really exciting to watch and I shall never forget my first sight of one. ? 然而火山喷发本身的确是很壮观的，我永 远也忘不了我第一次看见火山喷发时的情 景。 ? 在“主语+be+形容词+不定式”句型中，有 时主语是不定时结构的逻辑主语，这时应 用主动形式表示被动含义。适合于此结构 的形容词比较多，最常用的有amusing, dangerous, difficult, easy, important, nice, pleasant 等。
? 当上述形容词在句子做宾语补足语， 后接不定式，不定式也用主动形式表 被动意义 That question is difficult to answer. Chicken legs are nice to eat. I found him easy to get along with. They don’t think the game interesting to play.
sight , scene , scenery, view ? sight: 表示“风景，名胜”时用复数形式， 人文景观；还有“视力”意思。 ? scene： 指一眼可以浏览的风景，不限于自 然风景。 ? scenery：集合名词，至该地区的“整个风 景”，是有多个scene构成的景色。 ? view : 常指在远处或高处，一人的角度看到 的scenery一部分。 ? Birds have better sight than dogs. ? We have a fine view of the lake from our hotel window. ? Guilin is world-famous for its scenery. ? There are many beautiful scenes in the park.
12. Having experienced quite a few earthquakes in Hawaii already, I didn’t take much notice. 由于我已经在夏威夷经历过好几次地震， 所以我并没过多注意。 ? Having……分词短语在句中作状语，表示 动作发生在主句动作take notice之前。 Having cleaned the classroom, the students went to the playground to watch the football match. ? take notice of sb or sth 注意到…（常用于 否定句） Take no notice of what others say about your way of life.
13. absolute adj. 完全的;真实的
absolute e.g. It’s an ___________ fact.
----Do you let your kids walk alone at night?
Absolutely ----________________not. absolutely You are ____________ right. It’s ___________ impossible. absolutely I have _____________ trust in you. absolute There is no __________ standard for beauty. absolute
? 拓展: absolute zero 绝对零度 absolute majority absolute trust absolute proof 确凿证据 absolutely adv.完全地，无条件地,完全 对 absolutely right 十分对，对极了，当 然（口语，作为对一问题的回答或评 语） -Do you let your kids walk alone at night? -Absolutely not.
14. make one’s way 向某地走去, 有出息
她犹豫了一下,但向前走去. made her way forward She hesitated, but ______________________.
她快速离开房间,朝她床边走去. made her She hastily left the room ,and _____________ way to her bed ____________.
If you want to __________________________, you make your way in the world must learn to work hard while you are still young.
Make way for … 为…让路
All the traffic has to __________________ make way for a fire ________. truck
我将把职务让给更年轻的人. I shall __________________________ . make way for younger people
? 拓展: feel one’ way 摸索前进 push one’s way 挤过 find one’s way 找到路，设法到达 go one’s way 走自己的路，我行我素 fight one’s way 奋勇前进 wind one’s /its way 蜿蜒前进 lose one’s way 迷路
Stuggle one’s way
15. Today, I am just as enthusiastic about my job as the day I first started. 如今，我和当初从事这项工作时一样满怀 热情。 ? 在句中，the day 作复合连词用，引导时间 状语从句I first started ? 名词短语each time, every time, the moment （一……就）和the day 等都可以用作复合 名词，引导时间状语从句，使用时注意短 语前面不可以有介词，后面不用when. I will give him your message the minute he arrives. He bought a computer the day he got his salary.
16. potential ? n. [U]. 可能性;潜力,潜能 (+for) She has acting potential, but she needs training. He is a young player with great potential. It was his high school teacher that discovered his potential and kept encouraging him. ? adj. 潜在的，可能的 A number of potential buyers expressed interest in the company. Education develops potential abilities.
Discovering useful words and expressions
1 Replace the underlined parts with a word or phrase of similar meaning from the text. Rewrite the sentence if necessary. 1. We received the written set of questions from the company as they were eager to find out our opinion on their products.
2. The car drew up next to the side of our
car and the driver waved to us.
3. The scientists were studying carefully
to see how successful the experiment is. The scientists were evaluating the experiment
4. I moved carefully over the fallen rocks and returned to the car.
made my way 5. I think the boy is likely to achieve success in painting, but he needs training. has potential 6. The teacher was given the job because he was the best candidate.
7. It is certain that the factory will greatly raise their efficiency if they have modern machines and tools. equipment 8. Charles looked at the drawing that shows how the machine works and knew immediately what was wrong with it. diagram
2 Complete the paragraph with the words in the box in the correct forms.
burn to the ground absolute volcano eruption wave fountain ash lava erupt
The eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79
AD took the people of Pompeii by surprise.
They had always known that the mountain
was a _______ but it had been quiet for volcano so long that nobody saw it as a threat. When the volcano finally did _____, erupt
it was so quick and so severe that the
town was soon covered in ____ and ____. ash lava
A writer called Pliny, who was there
during the ________, described how lava eruption was thrown into the air like a ________. fountain After it fell to earth, it turned into _____ waves of lava which travelled down
the mountain faster than people could run away. It was an _______ disaster for absolute those who could not escape in time. Many of the wooden houses and bungalows in Pompeii were ____________________, but burned to the ground
the stone houses remained under the ash
until they were rediscovered during the
Discovering useful structures
Revising the –ing form
? 重点: ①动词-ing形式的作用 ②动词-ing形式在做状语时的作用 ? 难点: 动词-ing形式的一般式与完成式的区别
观察下列例句, 思考划线部分作用。 (1) This is an interesting book. ( 定语 ) (2) The man sitting by the window is our maths teacher. ( 定语 ) (3) Seeing the teacher entering the room, the students stood up. ( 状语 ) (4) I saw the boy walking on the street yesterday. ( 宾补 ) (5) Playing football is his favotire sport. (主语 ) (6) I didn’t stop working last night. ( 宾语 ) (7) My work is teaching English. ( 表语 )
动词非谓语形式 ◆动词-ing是 ________________ 中的一种， 谓语 单独使用时, 能在句中做除_________
之外的任何其他句子成分。如: 主语、 宾语、表语、定语、状语、宾补等。 主动 ◆在语态上，动词-ing表示 ________ (主动/被动的动作)。 正在进行 在时间上, 动词-ing一般表示 _________ (正在进行/已经完成)的动作。
一、动词-ing形式作状语 用法 例句
时间 Walking along the street, I met Mary. (= While I was walking along the street….) 在街上走的时候, 我遇到了玛丽。
原因 Being tired, I stopped to take a rest. (= Because I was tired, …) 因为疲倦, 我停下来休息。 条件 Turning to the left, you will find the school. (= If you turn to the left, …) 向左走, 你就会找到那个学校。
让步 Knowing where I live, he never comes to see me . (= Though he knows where I live, …) 尽管他知道我的住处, 但从不来 看我。
伴随 I stood there, waiting for her. (= …, and waited for her.) 我站在那儿等她。 结果 It rained heavily, causing severe flooding in the area. (= It rained heavily so that it caused severe flooding in the area.) 在这个地方雨 下的如此大, 以至引发了洪灾。
二、动词 –ing形式的完成式 句型 主动 Having + p.p. …, 主语+谓语 被动 (Having been) + p.p. …, 主语+谓语
1) –ing形式的完成式所表示的 时间在谓语动词之前 2) 表示被动可直接用过去分词 Having finished my work, I went home. (= After I had finished my work, …) 工作做完之后, 我就回家了。
观察下列2个句子, 体会having done与 doing的不同用法:
1) Having written the letter, John went to the post office. 2) Seeing the beautiful sight, the children felt excited.
having done doing
被动 being done having been done
一般式 doing ① V-ing having ②完成式 done
1) 她被蛇咬了三次后, 她看见蛇后就害怕。 Having been bitten by the snake __________________________________
for three times, she feels frightened __________________________________
when seeing the snake. ___________________________________
2) 正在进行的那个会议非常重要。 The meeting being held now is __________________________________
of great importance. __________________________________
Exercise 2: 用having been told / having told填空：
1) ______________ him the answer several timeS, Having told I did’t know whether he could understand. Having been told 2) _________________ the answer several times, he still couldn’t sovle the question.
归纳 被动 主句主语为动作的承受者。
Answer key for Exercise 1 on Page 37 : Having collected and evaluated the information, I help other scientists … Having worked hard all day, I went to bed early. Having earlier collected special clothes from the observatory, we put them on before … Having studied volcanoes now for many years, I am still amazed…
Answer key for Exercise 2 on Page 37:
1. Having taken 2. Having given 3. Having bought
4. Having spent
5. Having arrived
Answer key for Exercise 3 on Page 37: Rewrite the sentences using the present or the perfect –ing form of the underlined verbs. 1. Because I had experienced earthquakes before, I wasn’t frightened. Having experienced earthquakes before, I wasn’t frightened. 2. As I came out of my house, I saw the volcano erupting. Coming out of my house, I saw the volcano erupting.
3. When she woke up in the middle of the night she saw her room was as light as day. Waking up in the middle of the night, she saw her room was as bright as day. 4. After we had stopped the car, we found ourselves trapped in thick fog and couldn’t see clearly ahead. Having stopped the car, we found ourselves trapped in thick fog and couldn’t see clearly ahead.
5. Because I had spent all night reading the documents, I was very tired the next day. Having spent all night reading the documents, I was very tired the next day. 6. As the child had never seen a rainbow before, she was very excited. Having never seen a rainbow before as a child, he was very excited.
Answer key for Exercise 4: Arriving,
Having taken, Having tested,
Answer key for Exercise 1 on Page 71
2. Watching the volcano erupt, John became worried about his safety. 3. Knowing the children were bored, I tried to make my talk interesting. 4. Knowing the view from the top of the mountain was absolutely fantastic, Sue encouraged her friends to make the steep climb.
5. Gathering all my courage, I ran back into the burning house to rescue the baby. 6. Hearing the volcano was about to erupt, they cancelled their trip. 8. Having made a huge effort to impress the judges, I was disappointed when I didn’t win. 9. Having swallowed the nuts too quickly, I began to cough.
10.Having guaranteed that we would get there before five, I panicked when the car broke down. 11.Having watched Peter training for the race, I knew he had the potential to win the race. 12.Having spent two years writing her book, the novelist went on a holiday.
Answer key for Exercise 2 on Page 71: 1. Analysing, fishing
2. describing 3. opening 4. glancing through 5. shooting
1. “You can’t catch me!” Janet shouted, B _______ away. A. run B. running C. to run D. ran 解析：答案B。running away在此作 shouted的伴随状语，由Janet发出这一 动作。
高考链接 2. The storm left, ________ a lot of damage D to this area. A. caused B. to have caused C. to cause D. having caused 解析：答案D。题意：暴雨过去了，只 留下给这一地区造成的巨大损害。由上 下文逻辑意义看，此处应表示自然而然 的结果，故用现在分词作结果状语。
高考链接 3. ________ in the queue for half an hour, C Tom suddenly realized that he had left his wallet at home. A. to wait B. have waited C. having waited D. to have waited
解析：答案C。此处为现在分词的完成式 作时间状语，表明该动作发生在realized 之前。
高考链接 4. _______ such heavy pollution already, it A may now be too late to clean up the river. A. Having suffered B. Suffered C. To suffer D. Suffered 解析：答案A。由already提示，分词动 作发生在谓语之前，故须用分词的完成 式。
高考链接 B 5. The secretary worked all night long, _____ a long speech for the president. A. to prepare B. preparing C. prepared D. was preparing 解析：答案B。非谓语动词充当伴随状 语，与主语the secretary是主动关系， 因此用v.-ing形式。
Mount Hua Shan
Mount Tai Shan
Jiu Zhai Gou
Mount Chang Bai Shan
The Lake of Heaven
Task1: Read the text quickly and find out the answer to the question “How was Tianchi formed?” in the text. It was formed in the crater of a dead volcano on top of the Changbaishan.
Task2: glance through the text quickly and find out the key words(关键词）of each paragraph.
Paragraph 1 Paragraph 2 Paragraph 3 Paragraph 4
Task2: Retell each paragraph according
to the following clue . Paragraph 1
Location（位置） Position（地位） Changbaishan Height Rare animals The aims of visitors The most attraction
Location Jilin Province, Northeast China Position
China’s largest nature reserve
varies from 700 m to 2,000 m cranes, black bears, leopards Rare animals and Siberian tigers
The aims of visitors To study the plants and animals walk in the mountains; see the waterfalls ; bathe in the hot water pools The most attraction Tianchi, the Lake of
introduction height depth sight deep lake has formed in the crater 2,194m more than 200m the crystal clear water the other sixteen mountain peaks
Paragraph 3 Fill in the blanks with some persons or animals to complete the chart.
Three young women from heaven The Manchu people
flew dropped fruit
gave birth to swallowed The youngest A handsome boy pregnant girl
loved You and your ______ coin one drop a ____ into the clear, blue water to guarantee your ________ deep love will be as _____ lasting and _______ as the lake.
Answer the following Questions:
1.In what province is Changbaishan? In Jilin Province. 2.What is a nature reserve? Why is Changbaishan a famous nature reserve? A place kept in its natural state for people to enjoy. The largest one in China. 3.What is the most popular tourist attraction in the reserve? Tianchi, or the Lake of Heaven.
4.What does Tianchi mean? How is Tianchi formed? The Lake of Heaven. In the crater of a dead volcano. 5.What is the connection between the Manchu people and Tianchi? The story.
1)What he told us was an actual happening. 他告诉我们的是一件真实事情。 2)I need the actual figures, not an estimate. 我需要确实的数字, 不要估计的.
2. shoot v.射中，射伤 1)He shot a wild duck. 他射中一只野鸭。 2) He was shot three times in the arm. 他的手臂被射中三枪 。
3.anxious a.(令人)焦虑的；渴望的,急切的 1)焦虑的,挂念的[(+about/at/for)] I'm anxious about her safety. 我对她的安全担心。 2)令人焦虑的 The week of the flood was an anxious time for all of us. 闹水灾的那一星期是使我们大家都焦虑不安 的日子。 3)渴望的[(+for)] [+to-v] [+that] We're anxious for your safe return. 我们盼望你平安归来。
4.anxiety n.焦虑,挂虑；渴望, 1) 焦虑,挂念 (+about/for) The mother was filled with anxiety about her daughter's health. 母亲为女儿的健康忧心忡忡。 2)焦虑的原因;令人焦虑之事(+to) That is a great anxiety to me. 那是一件使我深感焦虑的事情。 3）渴望(+for) [+to-v] Their anxiety to go was obvious. 他们想去的急切心情是显而易见的。
5.panic(panicked,panicked) n.恐(惊)慌 vi& vt.(使)恐慌， 1) n Rumours (谣传) of an imminent earthquake started a panic. 谣传即将发生地震引起了一阵恐慌。 2)惊慌(+at/over) "Don't panic, boys; there's no danger." "不要慌,孩子们;没有危险。"
6.glance through 匆匆看一遍 1)Would you care to _____________it? glance through 你要不要看一下？ 2)I was so busy this morning I could only glance through _________________the newspaper. 今天早上我太忙了，只能粗略地翻一下 报纸。
7. The land varies in hight from 700 meters above sea level to over 2000 meters and is home to a great diversity of plants and animals. vary v. 1） become different, change esp continually (尤指持续地)(使)变化，改变 天气变化很大，从很冷到变得相当暖和。 The weather varied from very cold to quite mild.
保安们常常改变路线。 The security always varies its route. 2） be different 彼此相异 （彼此）在这问题上意见很不一致。 Opinions on this matter vary.
价钱因季节而变化。 The price varies according to the season.
various adj. different from each other， of different kinds 今天全国不同地区都下了雪。 There has been snow today in various parts of the country. 我们出售的产品是各式各样的。 The products we sell are many and various.
variety n. 1) = change (质量,种类和特征的)变化 他不喜欢这工作，因为它单调乏味。 He doesn’t like the work because it lacks variety. 2) = kind 种类,品种: 不同种类的香蕉 different varieties of bananas a variety of 许多，各种各样 这些T恤有各种各样的颜色供挑选. These T-shirts are available in a wide variety of colours.
8. diversity=variety 变化多样, 多样性 亚洲的植物形态多种多样. The plants of Asia show great diversity of form.
(对此)准时纵说纷纭. There must be a wide diversity of opinions.
9.guarantee vt.保证，担保 1)n 保证;商品保证;保证书[+that] The TV set has a year's guarantee. 这架电视机有一年的保修期。 2)保证;担保[+to-v] [+(that)] Perfect satisfaction is guaranteed to our customers. 保证我们的顾客完全满意。
Use the notes below to write a paragraph about the hot pools at Changbaishan. Begin like this:
Have you ever thought of visiting the hot pools at Changbaishan? You should because it has special attractions. When you have finished you visit to Tianchi, don’t rush away. There are plenty of other things to see and do in Chnagbaishan. For example, you can relax in the nearby hot springs.
Hot springs ?Pools heated by hot water out of the ground. ?Water heated by boiling rocks in the ground. ?A group of springs in an area of 1,000 square meters. ?some pools very hot (over 60℃) but others very pleasant for bathing. ?Bathing supposed to be good for health.