课标人教实验版 高二 Module 6
HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. AIDS stands for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. (后天免疫缺损综合症
Some facts: By the end of 2003, an estimated 42 million around the world were living with HIV/AIDS. During the year, 5 million people became infected and an estimated 3 million people died.
About one-third of people living with HIV/AIDS are 15-24 years of age.
More than 7 million people in Asia and the Pacific are living with HIV/AIDS.
HIV infection has taken root in South Asia and poses a threat to development and poverty alleviation efforts in the region.
Step 1: Before your reading:
1. Discuss what you know about HIV/AIDS with your classmates.
2. Now make a list of words you
might read in the poster.
Step 2: Read the poster, then answer the questions:
1. What’s a virus?
A virus is a very small living thing
that cause disease.
2. How does HIV affect people’s health?
HIV virus weakens a person’s
immune system and eventually it damages the immune system so much that the body can on longer fight against disease.
3. What is the difference between
AIDS and HIV?
HIV is a virus, while AIDS is the
stage of the illness caused by HIV. 4. Is there a cure for AIDS and HIV at the moment?
Step 3 Read the text carefully and fill in the blanks. ● Weakens a person’s immune system Information 1_______ _______ . about HIV ● Spread through 2 _____ blood or the fluids made during sex Ways to ● Don’t share your 3______ needle protect with anyone else. yourself ● Use a condom if you have sex with a male or a female.
Some wrong ● You can tell by 4 looking at statements __________ someone whether or not they have HIV. ● If you hug, touch or kiss 5______________ someone with AIDS or visit them in their home you will get HIV/AIDS.
Step 4: This passage can be divided
into three sections. What’s the
purpose of each section ?
Section1: Background information about what the diseases. Section2: Ways to protect yourself. Section3: Some common myths dispelled.
Step 5 Decide the following statements are true or false. HIV/AIDS is only spread through 1. direct contact get HIV from blood You can only with infected injecting drugs. or sexual fluids. F 2. It is very likely that you will die if you become infected with HIV. T 3. You can have HIV and look and have If you look healthy, you cannot behave as if you are perfectly healthy. It is only F HIV. in the last stages of AIDS that a person looks sick.
You can get HIV/AIDS from 4. It could be dangerous to have sex unprotected sex with an T without using a condom.infected person.
5. Taking food from the same dishes as HIV/AIDS is only spread through someone infected with HIV will give direct contact with infected blood or sexual fluids you HIV too. F 6. If you have HIV, you will always get AIDS eventually.
I. 根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字 母或汉语提示，写出各单词的正确形式。 1. He k______ his wife and children kissed good-bye and got on the train. 2. His behaviour was beyond c_____________. I could not understand comprehension why he did so. 3. I caught a ______ (流感) and had to flu lie in the bed.
4. We need to buy some ______ (针) for needles different types of sewing machines. female 5. All the ______ (女性的) workers in this factory got a present on March 8. perfect 6. Linda is a ______ (完美的) girl in every way.
II. 用所给词的适当形式填空。 1. After two years in Spain, Kate spoke the language ________ (perfect). perfectly 2. The prime minister is expected to statement issue a _________ (state) on the present situation. 3. It is quite necessary for children to basic learn some ______ (base) knowledge of first aid.
4. Her parents were happy that she had judgement such good _________ (judge) in choosing friends. 5. They don’t have the least ____________ comprehension (comprehend) of what I’m trying to do.
III. 用适当的介词填空。 1. At present we have no evidence ______ of life on other planets. through 2. The virus can be spread _______ blood. 3. Scientists predict they will be able to for find a cure ______ cancer by learning how to switch cells on and off. of 4. Part ______ the building was destroyed in the fire. 5. People tend to work hard at this stage of ______ life.
IV. 将下列词组翻译成英语。 1. 破坏人体免疫系统 damage a person’s immune system
2. 与疾病作斗争 fight disease 3. 患艾滋病 develop AIDS 4. 保持安全 stay safe