Unit 1 The world of our senses
Basking shark Great white
? What are Sharks? Sharks are fish that have been living around us since the dinosaurs.
1. Are sharks frightening? 2. How many different types of sharks are there in the ocean? Do all of them attack humans? 3. Do sharks feed on humans if they have the choice? 4. What are the three types of shark attacks? 5. Why have shark attacks been increasing recently?
Fill in the information
? Three fierce sharks :
the great white shark
the tiger shark the bull shark
? Read the text again and try to find out the topic sentence of each paragraph. (The topic sentences may appear at the beginning of the paragraph, or at the end.)
Paragraph 1: 30 out of 400 sharks may attack humans. Paragraph 2: There are three types of shark attacks. Paragraph 3: Advice on helping reduce the chances of being attacked. Paragraph 4: Three tips to help you when attacked by a shark. Paragraph 5: Do not be frightened by sharks.
Four pieces of advice to avoid shark attacks: ? ? ? ? Don’t swim in the dark. Don’t swim if you have a fresh wound. Don’t wear bright clothing or jewellery. Stay in groups.
Three tips to help you if a shark attacks you
? Keep clam. ? Hit the shark on the nose with your fist. ? Stick your finger in the shark’s eye.
1. mainly because 2. two other sharks 3. the chances of being attacked 4. compared to 5. many more people 6. the low number 7. feed on 8. be fit to do 9. wait for sb to do 10. the latter two
11. follow the advice 12. have a fresh wound 13. over a long distance 14. wear bright clothing or jewellery 15. hit the shark on the nose 16. stick your finger in the shark’s eye 17. 30 times greater
chance 1.He has much _______ of winning the first prize. 2. The chances are a hundred to one against you, it’s most ______ that you will succeed. unlikely
feed on 3. What does the little dog chiefly _____ _____?
on the 4. Don’t hit him ____ ____ head! 5. Why not wear some flowers instead of _____ jewellery when you go to the ball? I’m sure you are
clever enough to work them out！
Summarize the text
1. Types of shark attacks
2. Advice on reducing the chances of being attacked 3. The tips to help you when attacked
The wonderful world of pigeons, P19
The wonderful world of pigeons, P19 ? Fast Reading
1. Why did the officer write a message in the story? 2. By what means was the message sent? 3. How do pigeons find their way?
Introducing the project:
Producing a TV show about how an animal uses its senses.
? Get into groups (6-8). ? Decide which animal to focus on. ? Clear assignments.
The animal’s name It’s unique sense
Decide what type of show : A documentary, a drama, a cartoon, other show
? Each member picks a different topic to find information about
? Food (what the animal eats) ? Habitat (where the animal lives)
? Size (size of the animal or population)
? Myths about this animal (what people think)
Visit a zoo, watch an animal documentary, look at books, surf the Internet … to find information about the animal: What it eats and how it finds food in the wild
How it protects itself How it communicates with other animals How it attacks people or other animals (if it does) How it helps people or other animals (if it does)
1. Focus your research on how your
animal uses its senses. 2. TV is very visual so pictures should be presented in an easy to be seen way.
3. Each member must work on different part of the show, keeping in mind the overall design.
4. Each member has to proofread the writing at least once, correct mistakes if there are any, and add any new ideas they can think of.
? Present your show to the class. ? Put you display on the display wall.
1. Finish the exercises on page 90 in Workbook.
2. Review words and phrases in this unit.