单元复习学案 Unit5 Book 6 The power of nature
一、重点词汇 n.一套外衣；套装 a suit of clothes 1. suit vt. 适合；使适宜：suit sb. 适合某人；suit one’s book 合某人的心意 appoint sb. to a post 派某人担任某职 2. appoint vt
任命，委派 3. wave 6. panic 7. guarantee 二、重点短语 1. make one’s way appointment n. 约会；约定；委任 与某人约会 挥手告别 make an appointment with sb.
n. 波浪；波涛 the sound of the waves 波涛声 vi 波动；起伏；挥手 waved us goodbye. vi. & vt. 惊慌; n. 惊慌；恐慌 (panicked, panicked) be in a panic 惊慌之中
vt guarantee that 保证；guarantee to do sth；guarantee sb. sth.保证某人某物 n. 保修单；担保 give sb. a guarantee that ..向某人保证…… make one’s way to 向……走去；前往 feel one's way 摸索着前行
拓展： fight/push one's way 推挤着前行
lose one's way 迷路 force one's way out 挤出去；冲出去 push one's way in 挤进去 wind one's way 蜿蜒前进 2． burn ...to the ground burn down (建筑物）烧毁，火力减弱 burn up 烧毁、烧得更旺/亮，消耗 burn out 烧坏，烧 3. make an effort make an effort to do sth = make efforts to do sth 努力 make/spare no effort 不遗余力 make every effort to help you 尽力帮助你 4．glance glance at 匆匆看一眼，瞥一眼 glance through= over 匆匆看一遍 at the first glance 乍看起来 glare 是"怒视",表示愤怒地看; glare 拓展：stare 表示一般意义上的盯着看,看得比较仔细,常于 at, into 等介词连用,
(楼房等)被（全部）烧毁；全部焚毁 拓展： burn off 烧掉，蒸发
5. vary vt. 改变,， 变更， 使多样化；vi. 变化，不同， （彼此）相异 vary ...to...由……到……不等 拓展： vary in/on 在……方面不同 从……到……不等; 多种多样的 vary from ...to ... 三、重点句型 1. Have you ever considered how weak humans are compared with a volcano, hurricane or earthquake? compare to/with 和……比起来。如： People like to compare him with his twin brother.人们喜欢把他与他的的孪生兄弟相比。 compare to 还有“把……比作……”的意思。如： The poet compared his lover to a red, red rose. 这位诗人把他的爱人比作一朵红红的玫瑰花。 2. Having collected and evaluated the information, I help other scientists to predict where lava from the volcano will flow next and how fast. having done 是状语，动词-ing 形式完成式的使用表明动作发生在主句动作之前。 Having settled down in his new house, he set about writing his next book. 在新房子里住下之后，他就着手就下一本书。 3. I was about to go back to sleep when suddenly my bedroom became as bright as day. be about to do sth when 正要、即将做某事时，突然发生了某件事。如： I was about to leave home when the telephone rang. 今天早上，我正要离开家时电话响了起来。 4. The other two climbed down into the crater to collect some lava for later study, but this being my first experience, I stayed at the top and watched them. this being my first experience 在句中充当状语，是独立主格结构。动词-ing 形式可以有自己 的逻辑上的主语，这种逻辑主谓的结构可以在句子中作状语用。 如： The weather being fine, we have made up our minds to go for a picnic. 天气很好， 我们决定去野炊。 5. It is said that this boy, who had a great gift for languages and persuasion, is the father of the Manchu people. It is said that…据说。居中的 it 师哥形式主语，它所代表的的是由 that 主语从句。 如： It is said that his name carries great weight in the city. 据说，他的名字在那座城市颇有影响。 四、 典型语法: Ⅰ. Ving 形式作定语 Ⅱ. Ving 形式作宾语补足语 Ⅲ. Ving 形式作主语 Ⅳ. Ving 形式作表语 Ⅴ. Ving 形式作宾语 Ving 形式的用法结构形式： The man standing by the window is our teacher. The boss kept the workers working the whole night. Seeing is believing.眼见为实。 Her favorite job is teaching English.→ What is her favorite job? He is fond of playing football. I like swimming.
a variety of/varieties of=various
I. 单词拼写 1. __________爆发；突然发生 2. _________设备；装备 4. __________评估；评价 5. _________ 波浪；波涛 11. _________失去只觉的 14.___________ 担心；焦虑 7. _________绝对的；完全的 8. _________ 实在的；实际的 10. ____________文件；证件 13. ____________摇晃；颤抖 II. 短语互译 1. 向……走去；前往____________ 3. 努力 7. 和……比起来 III. 重点句子 1. I don't mind because danger excites me and________________________(让我感到有了活力). 2. I _________________(被任命为)a volcanologist working for the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) twenty years ago. 3. Today, I_________________________(对待工作的热情和……一样)the day I first started. 4. I __________________________________( 刚要回去睡觉，突然间 )suddenly my bedroom became as bright as day. 5. I __________________(对……仍然感到惊讶)their beauty as well as their potential to cause great damage. IV. 综合训练 1.词形变化填空 (1) ________任命；委任 v→ _______(n) (3) ________ 舒服 adj →__________(反义词) (5) ________变化；改变 v→_________(adj) 2.单句改错 (1) The boss kept the workers work the whole night. (2) My job is collected information for a database about Mount Kilauea. (3) It said that the boy is the father of the Manchou people. (4) I was so anxiety and couldn’t move at first. (5) The poet compared his lover with a red, red rose. (2) ________潜在性；潜能 n.→________(adj) (4) ________射击；射中 vt. →_________(n) (6) _________欣赏；感激 v →__________(n) _____________ ____________ 5. 从……到……不等;___________ 9. be appointed as _______________ 2. 被（全部）烧毁；全部焚毁_____________ 4. 匆匆看一眼，瞥一眼 8. 正要、即将做某事 10. be amazed at _______________ _______________ _______________ 6. 使免受;保护……免受损害_______________ 3._________任命；委派 6. _________ 喷泉；源泉 9. ________ 贵重的； 珍贵的 12. _________射中；射击 15. __________欣赏；感激
1. The charge A. Changes A. When
from 5 yuan to 10 yuan. B. varies B. as C. differ C. while D. range suddenly it began to rain. D. Then
2. The boys were about to go out to play football 3.The robber was brought to the judge, _______． A. with his hands were fast tied C. his hands fast tied made him quite moved. A. surrounding A. watch II．单句改错 1. It is no use urged with him. 2. It is interested to read such a story. 3. Would you move your bike in my way? 4. He stood there, the sun shone upon his face. B. surround B. to watch
B. his hands to be fast tied D. his hand having been fast tied
4. When the boy came to himself, he found himself ______ by his teacher and classmates, which C. surrounded C. watched D. surrounds D. watching
5. Last night, there were millions of people ______ the opening ceremony live on TV. (2014 北京卷 25)
5. The land is the home to a great diversity of rare plants and animals III．单词拼写 1. I was fast a_______ when suddenly my bed began shaking 2. It was an a__________ fantastic sight. 3. I am still amazed at their beauty as well as their p__________ to cause great damage. 4. The height of the land v________ from 700 metres above sea level to over 2,000 metres 5. Don't forget to drop a coin into the clear blue water to g________ your love will be as deep and lasting as the lake itself. 6. He is better __________(适合) to a job with older pupils. 7. The bridge __________(颤抖)as the train sped across it. 8. In spite of the __________(惊慌), she remained serene and in control. 9. Today's businesses are increasingly complex and _________(多样性). 10. The teacher ___________(评价) the performance of each student. IV. 阅读理解 It is certain that when the eruption of Vesuvius started on the morning of 24 August, 79 AD, it caught the local population unprepared. It is mainly thanks to the account of the younger Pliny that we have some understanding of what happened. And it is through him that we can gain insight into the reactions and feelings of the people caught up in the drama of this natural disaster. Pliny's account leaves no doubt that everyone was caught unprepared. His uncle, known as the elder Pliny,
was stationed in command of the imperial(帝国的)naval base at Misenum, on the north?west extremity of the Bay of Naples. He was not only the senior military officer in the district, but possibly the most well informed living Roman on matters of natural science. His 37?volume Natural History is the longest work on science in Latin that has survived from antiquity (古代)． But for all his science and his seniority, his nephew told us that the elder Pliny was relaxing, after a bath and lunch, when Vesuvius started to erupt. And the sighting of a column of smoke “like an umbrella pine” on the far side of the Bay caused a response more of curiosity than of alarm in him. The same account showed, however, that the signs were there. But they didn't realize the danger because the phenomenon was frequent in Vesuvius then. The eruption lasted for more than 24 hours from its start on the morning of 24 August. Those who fled at once had a chance of survival. It is clear that many, like the elder Pliny, thought their best chance was to take shelter and survived the storm. The hundreds of refugees sheltering in the street at the seaside in Herculaneum, holding their jewellery and money, met their end quickly. It is impossible to tell how many citizens died. The discovery of Pompeii is of huge importance for our modernday understanding of the ancient Roman world. Their destruction left important questions unanswered, and made it impossible in many ways to gather a satisfactory understanding of the Roman world from them. 1． According to the passage, people nowadays have some understanding of the eruption of Vesuvius mainly through______. A. the elder Pliny's account C. the science book Natural History A. to take charge of the base C. to rescue the refugees because________. A. everything happened at night B. they had no knowledge of volcanoes C. such eruption was frequent in Vesuvius then D. they had no chance to take shelter 4．The elder Pliny was very________ at the beginning of the eruption. A. nervous B. excited C. disappointed D. curious 5．All of the followings are true EXCEPT________. A. the elder Pliny made a great contribution to the discovery of Pompeii B. the eruption of Vesuvius took the local people by surprise C. countless lives were lost in a flash during the Vesuvius eruption D. the discovery of Pompeii is of great importance for our knowledge of the ancient Roman world
B. the younger Pliny's account D. the account of the survivors B. to observe the eruption of Vesuvius D. to work on Natural History
2．The elder Pliny was stationed at the naval base at Misenum ________.
3．Many people, including the elder Pliny, didn't realize the danger from the Vesuvius eruption
V. 根据短文内容，从下框的 A---F 选项中选出能概括每一段主题的最佳选项。 选项中有一 项为多余选项。 A. Adults keep pets with their children. B. Pet-keeping has a very long history. C. Pet-keeping may do harm to animals. D. People keeps pets for their aesthetic need. E. Caged pets become increasingly popular. F. Pet-keeping is helpful for children’s growth. 1. Pet-keeping is a time-honored tradition. One of the reasons for people to raise dogs or cows was usefulness. While people in the past hunted animals and kept them in their backyards, the civilsed man today is less cruel towards them and is less exploitative(利用的). 2. We keep animals as pets because they are attractive. We all have the urge to possess something that has aesthetic（审美的）value, and this is why we treasure paintings or fine furniture. Keeping pets is one form of this urge. A Siamese cat in the house can be a decorative object. Pets are playful animals and they amuse us. A little rabbit amuses us by its playful and lively runs. 3. Many parents find it helpful to have pets in the house for their children. Habing pets is an excellent way of developing in children the love of animals and responsibility. Children get the opportunity to take on full responsibility for another creature’s life. It will be an educational experience for a child to watch the natural life cycle of an animal. There are psychological benefits for children. Pets are welcome friends for children who are lonely. Pets are excellent companions. Keeping pets means giving love and being loved. We find comfort in giving care and receiving care in return. We get pleasure from their appearance and their behavior. 4. As more people move into apartments, there are limitations on keeping of animals like dogs and monkeys. Therefore, caged animals have increased in popularity. Birds fall into this group. We keep them for their beautiful songs and feathers. Fish-keeping is a widespread hobby and the keeper can observe their behavior in the glass tank and study its entire life cycle. The cat is a fine house pet and it fits neatly into human habitation(居住地) without requiring its own cage. They are wonderful hunters, if there are rats around. 5. Pets satisfy man’s desire to care for a bit of nature. The pet owner has the responsibility for supplying those needs that nature provides. Pets are amusing and entertaining, but we are in a way doing animals harm by making them live in a human environment. Are we not enslaving(奴役)them?