Unit 4 Earthquakes 基础知识巩固练习
1. The thief is ____________ (颤抖) with fear when he is being questioned by the policeman. 2. The soldiers are trying to he
lp rescue the _________________ (幸存者) after the earthquake. 3.Two–thirds of the people died or _________________(受伤) in the earthquake. 4. Life would be very difficult without __________________(电) . 5.The whole city lay in ____________ (废墟) after the war. 6. The soldiers built s______________ for those homeless people. 7. Every year natural’s d_______________ can cause heavy loss to the world. 8. Most of the buildings were completely d ______________in the earthquake. 9. It’s a great h_______________ for the scientist to give a speech to the students. 10. Hundreds of people are still in the water, waiting to be r_____________. 11. It is an area where natural ________________（灾难）often happen. 12. The firemen ________________(营救) the boy from the burning house. 13. Teachers have ____________________ (表达) concern about the emphasis on testing. 14. The hurricane left the whole city in ________________(严重受损) 15. A great many houses were ______________(破坏)in the earthquakes and many people became homeless. 16. The machine is driven by e__________________. 17. We b_____________ into laughter when we heard the funny story. 18. Many men were b_______________ underground when the accident at the mine happened. 19. The sun r______________ in the east every day. 20. When food goes bad, it becomes s_______________. 21. Back from the cinema, the couple were s__________ on seeing their house broken in. 22. They o__________________ the youths to form a group to protect the environment. 23. The soldiers t________________ their enemies and forced them to give in. 24. B____________ are still a main kind of building material now. 25. When water is heated to 100℃, s______________ comes out from it. 26. He has been b_____________ in reading the novel for 3 hours. 27. Females find it e____________________ difficult to get a job in such a field. 28. Many people were killed or i______________ in the earthquake. 29. You may b_____________ the balloon if you are not careful. 30. We knew Bob had cancer, but the news of his death still came as a s______________.
B. 单词释义 (从四个选项中选出与题干中斜体词意思相同的单词)
1. People were sleeping soundly when the earthquake suddenly happened. ( A. appeared A. didn’t like A. injured A. leaving B. took the place C. came out D. broke out ) ) D. were interested in )
2. Most people thought little of these strange phenomena (现象), they just went to bed as usual. ( B. didn’t pay much attention to B. hurt B. missing C. destroyed D. losing C. never noticed D. buried ) D. flying 3. The terrible earthquake ruined the whole city, which caused a heavy loss to the local people. ( 4. He was very surprised to find all his money gone. (
5. Such a great number of people died because the quake happened while they were sleeping. ( A. So many B. Such many C. Such lots of ) D. So much
6. Many shelters were put up for the homeless people. ( A. set up B. taken up C. sat up
D. built up ) D. asleep people )
7. The strange noise woke up all the people who were asleep. ( A. sleeping people B. people were sleeping
C. slept people
8. Workers built shelters for survivors, whose homes had been destroyed. ( A. their homes B. the homes of them C. the homes of theirs
D. the homes of whom ) D. who stood towards me )
9. I asked a man standing next to me what happened, but he made no answer. ( A. who stood beside me B. who is standing beside me C. stood beside me
10. The cyclists hope to raise money to help thousands of blind children in Tibet. ( A. pay B. collect C. save D. rise
1. The room is very ______________ (smell). Someone must be smoking here. 2. As is known to all, earthquakes are _______________(nature) disasters which can cause great damage to human beings. 3. ___________(late) that afternoon, another earthquake shook the city. 4. With the help of the soldiers, the damaged city began to _____________ (breath) again. 5. It was a ______________________(frighten) night because of the terrible earthquake. 6. _____________________(congratulate) on your success. We are all proud of you. 7. I saw many ___________________(frighten) cows rush up the street. 8. These bushes grow well in the s_______________ of big oak trees. 9. It is ________________ (use) quarreling with him. He won’t listen to you. 10. The government has to build more building to house all the ________________ (home) people. 11. Two players are out of the team because of ________________ (injure). 12. Death finally brought an end to his _________________ (suffer). 13. I think it is dangerous for _______________ (mine) to work in such a terrible condition. 15. They were ________________ (trap) in the burning hotel.
at an end, be trapped in, thousands of, all….. not, too…..to…., a number of, right away, burst out, rescue…..from, burst into, think highly of 1. The exhibition was so interesting that quite ________________________ people came to visit it. 2. _______________________ of football fans came to watch the great game. 3. He is ______________ young ____________ go to school. 4. _____________ the boys ___________ fond of playing football. 5. I’ll phone him _____________________. 6. Her composition ___________________________________ by her Chinese teacher. 7. One minute she ____________________ laughter, and the next she ____________________ crying, we just couldn’t catch her mood at any moment. 8. The life boat was sent out to _______________ the sailors ____________ the sinking boat. 9. The war which lasted for years was ___________________________. 10. They ____________________________ the burning building.