Reading ＆ Comprehending
My First Work Assignment “Unforgettable,” says new journalist
Who ？Where？What？ Zhou Yang was talking with his boss,
/>Hu Xin at the office of China Daily. How did Zhou Yang feel on his first day at work ?
He felt excited, curious and eager to
go out on a story.
Choose the correct explanation
1. What do I need to remember when I go out to cover a story. D 报道新闻 A. tell a story C. send a story B. write story D. report a story
2. A good journalist must have a good “nose”
for a story. D 对新闻有一个敏感的 “嗅觉”
A. know what has happened. B. be able to “smell” the truth when somebody
is telling part of it.
C. be able to discover the whole truth by
D. B and C
Make a list of Zhou Yang’s question and key words of answers ◆Can I go out on a story immediately?
Put you as an assistant to an experienced journalist
◆What do I need to take with me?
A note book
◆What do I need to remember when I go out to cover a story?
Be curious Have a good “nose” for story ◆What should I keep in mind? Don’t miss your deadline Don’t be rude Don’t talk too much Make sure listen to interviewee carefully
◆Why is listening so important? Listen for detailed facts Next question depend on what the person says ◆How can I listen carefully while taking notes?
You can use a recorder to get facts straight Try to find evidence to support your story
complete it as “true” or “false”
(1)Zhou Yang can go out on a story immediately.
(2) Only when Zhou has seen what he or she does, can
he cover a story by himself. (T)
(3) Not only is Zhou interested in photograph, but also he took a course at university, so it’s actually of
special interest to him.
(4) Hu Xin has never had a case where somebody
accused your reporters of getting the wrong end of
the stick. (F)
(5) The footballer did tell the truth.
(6)An article was written by Zhou Yang which suggested
the footballer was guilty.
(7) “A trick of the trade” means clever ways known to experts.
Zhou Yang’s notes Questions Zhou Yang’s notes
The skills needed
1. be able to _______________ tell if someone is telling the truth _______________________. 2. be accurate _______ 3. do research ________ 4. ask ___________ questions detailed facts get the _________________
The importance of listening
Zhou Yang’s notes
questions 1. ask ______________ Stages in 2. note ________ reactions researching a story 3. ________ check facts 4. do ___________ research How to check facts use _________ research and ask ________ witnesses
How to deal with accusations of printing lies
a tape recorder for use _______________ the ____________ interview
Adjectives to describe a reporter
Adjectives to describe a photographer
patient, well-organized, creative, imaginative, thorough, curious, technically good,
A reporter needs to be ___________ thorough, ________________________ curious, careful and concise but a photograph needs to be __________ creative, _________________________________. imaginative, technically good and gifted _________________________________ They both need to be professional, ________________________. I think I well-organized and patient photographer would make a good ____________ because I am creative and I enjoy _______________________________ being technically good at things. _______________________________.
A journalist should
cover a story be eager to do concentrate on be curious have a “nose” for a story a trick of the trade get all the facts straight avoid to get the wrong end of the stick try to be a real “scoop”
Practice – interviewing
Make an interview( film star, great person or who ever you like).
1.Read an English newspaper and retell the main idea of one article in it.
2.Try to write a short composition about a news.
1. Never will Zhou Yang forget his first assignment at the office of … 2. Not only am I interested in photography, but I took… 3. Only if you ask many different questions will you acquire all information you need to know. 4. Here comes my list of dos and don’ts.
在英语中,主语和谓语的语序通常 是主语在前,谓语在后。但有时为了 语法结构的需要,或者是为了强调, 谓语的全部或一部分却提到主语 前面,这种语序叫做倒装。 倒装可分为: a.全部倒装 b.部分倒装
基本语序 natural order
subject 主+ predicate 谓+object 宾
I love English.
? 把谓语动词放在主语之前, 叫倒装结构。
? 如果全部谓语放在主语之前, 叫全部倒装; ? 如果只把助动词或be 动词等放在主语之
? Here comes the car. (全倒)
? Never will Zhou Yang forget….(半倒)
1. There goes goes the bell. 2. Out rush the children. 3. Never was he interested in the pop stars. 4. In front of the house was a small garden. 5. Only then did I realize that I was wrong. 6. No sooner had she gone out than the phone rang.
Inversion(倒装句) ①若有主从句,哪句倒装。 ②部分倒装还是完全倒装。
1. 用于 there be 句型。(there be+主语)
There are many students in the classroom.
主语位于谓语 are there之后
Many students are there in the classroom.
２. 用于“here (there, now, then) + 不及物 动词 + 主语的句型中, 或以out, in, up, down, away 等副词开头的句子里面, 表示强调。 ? Here comes the bus. ? There goes the bell. 名词 ? Now comes our turn. ? Out went the children.
Here comes he. × Here he comes. Away went they. × Away they went.
3. 当句首状语是表示地点的介词词组时, 也常引起全部倒装。 ? From the valley came a
? Under the tree stands a little boy.
On the wall hangs a picture.
Here comes the bus.
Out rushed the puppy.
Away went the girls.
C a letter for you. 1) ____ A. There are B. Is here C. Here is D. Is there 2) ____ A a big paper-making factory by the lake. A. There stands B. Does there stand C. Standing there is D. It is standing
C 3) _______ and caught the mouse. A. Up the cat jumped B. The cat up jumped C. Up jumped the cat D. Jumped up the cat 4) -Where is your father? -Oh, _______. A A. here he comes B. he here comes C. here does he come D. here comes he
B 5) Look out! ______ A. The bus come there B. There comes the bus. C. Does the bus come? D. Comes the bus there.
6) Under a big tree ____, D half asleep. A. did sat a fat man B. a fat man sat C. did a fat man sat D. sat a fat man
１. 用于only开头的句子(修饰副词、介词 短语或状语从句) Only in this way can you learn English well. ２. 用于 never, hardly, seldom, little, at no time, not only, rarely, little, not a bit 等
Never shall I do this again.
３. 用于no sooner than, hardly when 和 not until的句型中。 No sooner had she gone out than the class began. Not until the teacher came did he finish his homework.
４. 用于 so, nor, neither 开头的句子, 表示 重复的内容。此句谓语应与前句谓语的 时态形式一致。 ? Jack can not answer the question. Neither can I. ? He has been to Beijing. ____________ So have I. 我也去过。(不同人/情况) So he has 是的, 他确实去过。 (同个人/情况)
1) My wife is a teacher, and ___. A A. so am I B. so I am C. also I am D. too I am 2) She is not fond of cooking, ___ D I. A. so am B. nor do C. neither do D. nor am 3) Mr. Smith promised to help me and ____ B the next day. A. neither he did B. so he did C. neither did he D. so did he
５. 在 so / such …that 的结构中, 若so/such
1) It is such an interesting book that John
has read it twice. 2) It is so interesting a book that John has read it twice. Such an interesting book is it that John has read it twice.
So interesting a book is it that John has read it twice.
6. 由as 或though 引导的让步状语从句有时也用 倒装句, 即把表语或部分谓语提前。 他虽然是个孩子, 但已经熟 知英语。 Child as / though he was, he had a good command of English. 他虽有耐心, 但也不愿意等三个小时。 Patient though / as he was, he was unwilling to wait three hours.
7. 用于某些祝愿的句子。 1) May you succeed! 2) Long live China!
I have never seen such a performance. Never have I seen such a performance.
You will find the answer to this question nowhere. Nowhere will you find the answer to this question.
Not until the child fell asleep did the mother leave the room.
当Not until引出主从复合句, 主句倒装, 从句不倒装。
At no time are you allowed to smoke here. In no way are you allowed to smoke here.
Not only can mp3s provide us with fun, but also they can help us learn English well.
只有当Not only…but also连接两个分句时, 才在第一个 分句用倒装结构。如果置于句首的Not only…but also 仅连接两个并列词语, 不可用倒装结构。 Not only you but also I am fond of music.
Only after being asked three times did he come to the meeting.
Only by practicing everyday can you learn English well.
配套练习 1. ---Do you know Jim quarreled with his brother? B ---I don’t know, _______. A. nor don’t I care B. nor do I care C. I don’t care neither D. I don’t care also
2. Not until all the fish died in the river
____ A how serious the pollution was. A. did the villagers realize B. the villagers realized
C. the villagers did realized D. didn’t the villagers realized
3. Only in this way ____ C do it well.
A. must we
C. can we
B. we could
D. we can B. arrived he D. did he arrive
A when it began to rain. 4. Hardly ____ A. had he arrived C. he had arrived
5. Only when class began ____ C that he
had left his book at home.
A. will realize
C. did he realize dictation yesterday.
B. he did realize
D. should he realize
6. Not a single mistake ____ A in the A. did he make
C. he made
B. made by him
D. he had made
7. No sooner ____ C his talk than he ___ by the workers. A. he finished; surrounded all
B. did he finish; did surround
C. had he finished; was surrounded
D. after he finished; was surrounded
8. At the foot of the mountain _____. C A. lie a beautiful lake B. does a beautiful lake lie C. lies a beautiful lake D. do a beautiful lake lie 9. I finally got the job. Never in all life ___ D so happy. A. did I feel B. I felt C. I had felt D. had I felt
10. _____ C the plane. A. Down flying B. Down was flying C. Down flew D. Flew down
11. -She plays the piano very well. C - _________. A. So every one of us does B. Every one of us does C. So does every one of us D. So do every one of us
12. The door opened and there ____. B
A. enters an old man
B. entered an old man C. did an old man enter D. an old man entered
2 Rewrite these sentence using normal
1. I did not know how to use that
recorder. Neither did he.
Neither he or I knew how to use that recorder.
2. Only then did I begin my work on designing a new bridge. I only began my work on designing a new bridge then. 3. Not only was there a Christmas tree, but also exciting presents under it. There was not only a Christmas tree but also exciting presents under it.
4. “Is everything ready yet?” asked Hu
Xin to the photographer. Hu Xin asked the photographer, “Is everything ready yet?”
5. She is not only good at languages, but also at history and geography. Not only is she good at language, but she is also good at history and geography.
6. I have never read such an exciting report before. Never before have I read such an exciting report. 7. She took part in a horse riding competition, and did not miss a jump once. Not once did she miss a jump when she took part in the horse riding competition.
1. Summarize the rules of inversion in your own way. 2. Finish the exercises Using Structures in workbook on Page 64.
As a reporter, Zhou Yang was eager
to get a scoop. Now comes the chance. Let’s go to the text “ Getting the Scoop”
Read the text and try to get the main idea of it. The passage tells us the process of writing and printing for a newspaper article.
Read the text and answer the following questions. 1.What is a scoop? 2.What is the scoop about? 3.What should be a good scoop like?
1. What is a scoop? It means an important story which your newspaper gets ahead of all the other newspapers.
2. What is the scoop about? The scoop tells about a famous film star, who has done something wrong but has been lying.
And how did Zhou Yang deal with the affair? Although he had realized the man had been lying, Zhou Yang knew he mustn’t accuse him directly. He would have to be accurate. Concise too!
3. What should a good scoop like?
Be accurate, concise with no wasted words or phrases.
How many people read his article before it was ready to be processed into the film negative (底片)? Who were they? Five people： a senior editor from his department 资深的编辑 the copy-editor 技术编辑 the native speaker 母语为英语的编辑 the chief editor 主编 the news desk editor 新闻文字编辑
Work out the process of writing and printing an article.
1. You go to an interview to get the information for your story.
4. You give the article to a senior editor to check and copy editor to do editing.
2. You do some research to see if the story is true or not. 3. You begin to write the story using notes from the interview.
5. The article is given to a native speaker to check the use of English and improve the style. 8. The first edition of the newspaper is made.
6. The article is checked/approved by the chief editor.
7. All the stories
and photos are set and the color negatives for the printing are made ready.
In pairs make a list of things that the film star might have done.
He took money but act badly in a film. He lied about getting drunk at a restaurant. He stole something from a shop and lied about it. He said some rude remarks about his exgirlfriend to a journalist.
1. Before you listen, discuss with a partner what difficulties you might have interviewing somebody famous. Listen to Parts 1 and 2 of the tape and see how far you were right.
1. he is too busy 2. he doesn’t want to be interviewed for a newspaper 3. he is away 4. he will be away
2 Read the three possible summaries of the interview. Listen again and circle the correct one. Explain why the others are wrong.
A. This is about a young man who is refused an interview with Liu May. B. This is about a young man who is trying to arrange an interview with Liu Mei. C. This is about a young man who want to ask Liu Ming about how to work abroad.
3 Listen to Part 1 again and answer the following questions.
1. Why does Zhou Yang want to interview Liu Ming? He wants to interview him about his decision to go abroad to work. 2. When does Liu Ming plan to leave Beijing? He plans to leave Beijing at the end of this week.
3. What is Liu Ming doing on Wednesday? He is going to talk to some students in the morning; at four he’ll go to a special party. 4. When does Lily Wong suggest they meet? Lily Wong suggests they meet at 12 o’clock.
4 Listen to Part 2 and fill in the chart.
Fans’ ideas about Liu Liu Ming’s ideas Ming going abroad about going abroad sorry not to see him to learn more play in the flesh about tennis watching him play on to develop his skills TV is not the same afraid he may not to intend to come come home again back to China
Writing: 你是学校English Corner 报社的记者， 请根据下面的图片撰写一篇新闻报道， 记录你校高二年级学生陈菲在周一 早晨上学途中目击的一场交通事故。
注意： 1. 新闻的标题已为你写好； 2. 词数不少于100。
Impossible to escape being punished
The structure of news report
When this Monday morning Who Chen Fei… Where on her way to school
The What a traffic accident happened structure of news 2. ___________ content (内容) report ending / comments(评论) 3. ___________ topic sentence
Impossible to escape being punished This Monday morning, Chen Fei, a student of Senior Two in our school, saw a traffic accident on her way to school. A boy was riding along the street. Suddenly, a car ran towards him fast knocking him off the bike.
Instead of stopping, the driver drove away fast and was soon out of sight, leaving the boy helpless. “It happened in only a few seconds,” said Chen Fei “but I know I should remember the number of the car.” Chen Fei reported this to the police. Now the driver has been caught and will be punished for his wrong doing.
Interview a student of Senior Grade
three and write a report about their
present study and life.