What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a robot?
a fiction character a movie star
a computer a servant
signed to do jobs A robot is a _______ that are usually performed by _______. humanare programmed and controlled Robots computer by a ________. Today there are different kinds of robot, including industrial robots, household robots, and entertainment robots. Robots also often appear as _________characters in stories.
Science fiction about robot
Science fiction about robot
Science fiction about robot
Read a short story about a robot. It was originally written by the science
fiction writer, Isaac Asimov,
and published in 1951.
Here the story has
been retold by
Background information: ?A retelling of an Isaac Asimov’s story called Satisfaction Guaranteed. ?About a human-like robot.
?Asimov’s first law for robots: A robot must not injure human beings or allow them to be injured. ?The robot, cause the main character to have some very confusing feelings.
Characters in the story:
Larry Belmont ---- employed in a company that makes robots Claire ---- Larry’s wife, a housewife
Tony ---- the robot Gladys Claffern ---- a woman that Claire envies
Read through the passage and then answer the following questions: 1.What did the robot called Tony look like? 2.Why did Larry put Tony into his family?
1.Why did Larry put Tony into his family?
? Because he wanted to test out
how a robot used for housework in a family.
2.What did the robot called Tony look like?
He looked like a tall and handsome man, speaking in a deep voice, with smooth black hair and his facial expression unchanged.
The text mainly tells us _____. A. why Claire fell in love with a human being B. why a robot fell in love with a human being C. a story about a household robot being tested out in a family D. that a robot can save a human being from danger
How did Claire feel? alarmed embarrassed amazed What happened? She saw Tony was ___ tall and handsome His hair was ______ black ________. smooth and _______and his voice was deep _______. Tony asked whether she needed help dressing. fingernails and the By his _________ softness ________ and ________of his skin. warmth
Happy, surprised, ______________ Tony caught her in time, held her shy firmly in his arms .
How did Claire What happened? feel? Tony folded his arms around surprise her, bending _____ his face close to _____________ hers and he declared _____ that he didn’t want to leave her and that he felt more than just the desire to please her. She was _____ by those envied happy women. __________ She remembered Tony was sad just a machine. ___________
Revise the text and finish the following tasks.
1. Claire's feelings toward Tony changed as the story developed. Read the story, then fill in the occasions when Claire had these feelings.
Occasion 1. Before he
with the sales man
Claire … Called him a dear Felt his warmth
Helped her Disliked him 5.
When she fell off a 2. When he Was alarmed 6. ladder and caught arrived by Tony
3. When he offered to help her dress
When he 4. offered to help her improve her house and herself
When she heard Gladys Felt 7. Felt being whispering to another embarrassed woman that she had envied
never seen anyone so handsome as Tony
Admired him 8.
She remembered Tony was just a machine
Cried all night
2. Read the story again and answer the questions:
1. Why did Tony open the curtains?
He wanted Claire’s guests to see him and Claire together so that she would be envied by the women guests .
2. What did Tony do to prevent Claire from being harmed?
He had prevented Claire from harming herself by making her feel good about herself. He helped her make her and her home elegant so that she would not feel like a failure.
3. Why should Tony be rebuilt?
Because the company (designers) felt that they could not have women falling in love with a robot.
4. How would you feel if you had a robot
like Tony in your house?
( You can give your own answers.)
5. Claire spent three weeks with Tony in her house.
What sentences in the story show that she kept
forgetting and then remembering that he was a
How absurd, she thought. ?He was just a machine. ?He held her firmly in his arms and she felt the warmth of his body. ?She screamed, pushed him away and ran to her room for the rest of the day. ?Then she remembered – Tony was just a machine. ?She shouted “Leave me alone” and ran to her bed.
3. In groups, list Tony’s characteristics that were similar to and those that were different from those of a human being.
Characteristics Similar Different
Similar Looks like a human being.
(1)Facial expressions never change. (2) Quicker reactions (She fell off a ladder and even though Tony was in the next room, he managed to catch her in time)
Body and skin are warm.
Hair and fingernails realistic.
Voice like a human’s.
Similar Able to make suggestions and predictions. Able to make a plan and follow it through. Has good communication skills
Behaviour not appropriate (Tony brought her breakfast and then asked Claire whether she needed help dressing)
1. Revise the reading story and
remember the useful
2. Get more knowledge about
the robot and science fiction
related to it.
? Which of the following events shows that the robot’s response and speed are both amazing?
? A. He made a shopping list for Claire. ? B. He hurried to the shop to save Claire ? C. He rescued Claire when she fell off the ladder ? D. He let others see him holding Claire in his arms.
Choose the best answer
1. Why did Claire feel alarmed at the sight of Tony? A. Because he was a robot. B. Because she didn't like him. C. Because he was more like a being than a machine. D. Because he never changed his facial expressions.
2. The robot Tony helped Claire to realize her dreams by______.
A. making her home elegant
B. giving her a new haircut and changing the make-up she wore
C. giving her advice on her dresses
D. all the above
3. As a result, the experiment shows_______. A. Claire and Tony fell in love with each other B. Tony had to be rebuilt C. Tony was angry with his designer
D. Both A and B
4. All the following statements are true except _______. A.Tony tried to please Claire B.Claire tried to displease Tony
C.Tony managed to protect Claire
D.Gladys admired Claire for her Tony
5. We can infer from the passage that_____. A.Claire liked Tony but feared him B.Claire cried because Tony made her angry C.Claire forgot Tony as soon as Tony left her D.Tony had no feelings as human being.