The Wandering Romany
1. Help students get to know some important information about the Romany.
Learn some important words and expressions.
3. Get ready for the classroom display about the Jewish people.
Who are those people in the pictures?
What is this article aimed to do?
To explain the history of the Romany and some of the reasons for their movement.
What are the places the Romany have traveled?
in a roundabout way
northern India (Pakistan)
1. Where did the Romany first come from? 2. What is the Romany’s main characteristic? 3. What happened to the Romany during the second World War? 4. What are some modern nations trying to do?
1. Where did the Romany first come from? The Romany are thought to have first come from India. 2. What is the Romany’s main characteristic? Their main characteristic is that they do not stay settled for a long period of time, and always move on to another place.
3. What happened to the Romany during the second World War? During World War II, the Romany, along with gays and Jews, lived in terror. The Nazis classified them as a dangerous group, and followed a systematic policy of hunting and killing them in large numbers.
4. What are some modern nations trying to do? Some modern nations are now trying to help the Romany preserve their history, language and culture.
What are talked about in the article? language Culture (music, dancing) history
The Wandering Romany traditions
experiences of the group way of life
◆Going over the text on P30-31 and carry
out the following tasks: Task1: Tell whether the following statements are True or False 1. The Romany are associated most with moving and travelling. T
2. The Romany are thought to have their origins in India, with their written history clarifying it clearly.
3. The main characteristic of the Romany is that they don’t stay settled long in one place, resisting making permanent homes. T
4. Having traditions of their own, the Romany resist adopting the languages and religions of the places they move to, having none of the local traditions. F
?5. In the past the Romany were done great wrong due to their different lifestyle. T 6. Today, the topic of the Romany remains controversial, the peace between them and many Asian countries being tentative at best.
? Task2: Task-based reading
Title: The wandering Romany
● Introduction: This article gives explanation for the a(n)1____________ history of the Romany and their movement.
? Their origins: ●They are thought to have first come from India. Over time, they split into different spreading groups,2_________into many countries. precise about ●However, it is hard to be 3__________ the population without any written history 4_________ clarifyingtheir origins.
Their culture: referred to as travellers ●They are often 5_________ settled for not staying 6__________ in one place. ●They prefer to stay in small groups, not 7_________ submitting themselves to any government. represented as fortune●They have been 8___________ tellers, predicting others’ future. ●Having their own traditions, they still respect the local traditions. 9_______
Their unfair 10____________: treatment reputation ●Frequently moving, they gained a 11______ as thieves. collision of their culture with ●The 12__________ Europeans’ 12_______ resulted in many nations taking action against them. broken up, women ●Families were 13__________ forbidden from having children. ●Along with gays and Jews, they were killed terror in large numbers, living in 14___________.
Their future relations: ●With the assistance of the IRU, they are on terms with other countries. better 15_________ ●Their topic is still 16_____________, controversial their peace with many Europeans being tentative at best. Conclusion: sympathetic towards We should feel 17 ____________ them, not having 18__________ prejudice against them.
Learn the following phrases:
1.be associated/connected with 2. split up into different groups 3. wander around/about 4. be precise about 5. resist doing 6. refer to sb as 7. show respect for 8. throughout their history 9. pay taxes 10. gain a reputation as
11. take action (against…) 12. be forbidden from doing 13. classify sth as 14. live in terror 15. at best 16. kill … in large numbers 17. show/feel sympathy for = be/feel sympathetic to/towards… 18. have prejudice against/be prejudiced against
Have a try!
Translate the sentences in English, using as many phrases from the passage as possible.