The world of our senses Period 1 Word study
Learning Aims ? 1. Let students read the new words correctly and fluently. 2. Get students to master some important words. Important points To
master the usage of the new words Difficult Points Learn how to use these words freely. 【使用说明及学法指导】 借助词汇精粹预习自主学习导学案，在预习过程中积极动脑思考，理解例句并为构建知识结构做好 准备。
词汇精粹 1. raised adj. 凸起的 raise vt. 培养；饲养；种植；筹集；召集；提出；提高; 提升；举起；抬起；引起 1）Please your hand if you have any questions. 2) I don?t wish the subject to be raised again . 3) raise one’s voice / rent / oil prices / salary / one’s spirits 4) We?re trying to raise money for the Red Cross. 5）That discussion raised my interest . 6）We want to raise our children to be decent men and women . 2.sign n。记号，符号；姿势；标志，告示；标 识；招牌； 迹象，征兆；手势信号，示意动作 1）She gave me a sign to stand up. 2）The teacher put her finger on her lips as a sign for us to keep quiet. 3）The sign says “No smoking.” 4）The country?s economic situation shows signs of improvement. vt 签(名)；签署（条约等） ；示意 1）He has already signed the contract .（合同） 2）Would you sign your name here, please ? 3） signed (to his wife ) that he was going home. He 3. observe vt. 观察，注意；遵守（规则、法令 等）;庆祝 1)She carefully observed every detail of their 说出各句中 raise 的意义： 1） 2） 3） 4） 5） 6） 比较 rise 和 raise 的区别
sign 意义： n. 1） 2） 3) 4)
vt。 1） 2) 3)
归纳 observe 用法 1）
actions． 2）The teacher observed that some students were asleep. 3） neighbor observed a stranger going /go into His his house. 4) Everyone should observe the traffic rules. 5）How will you observe your birthday? [拓展] 名词
2） 3) 4） 5） 6）变 3）句为被动语态 翻译词组： 1）遵守法律 2）庆祝圣诞节
4. sight n. 视力；视觉；看见,瞥见；情景,景象； 意义： 风景,名胜 1) 1）She lost her sight in an accident. 2) 3) 2）She went out to see the sights of Shanghai. 4) 3）The sunset was a very beautiful sight. 4) It didn't take long before I lost sight of the sight 构成的短语 plane.
5. approach vt. vi. 接近，靠近 1)We approached the birds quietly and watched them. 2)The time for graduation is approaching.
接近，靠近；临近；逼近; 通路，入口; 解决 办法，学习/研究途径 3) The approach of the examination is making her nervous. 4) All the approaches to the airport were blocked by the police. 5) His method presents a new approach to foreign language teaching. 6. recognize vt. 认识，辨认出；意识到；(正式) 承认；公认 1) I recognized my old friend at once. 2) He didn?t recognize that he had made a big mistake. 3) They recognized him as/ to be a great leader.
approach 的意义 1) 2） 3) 4) 5)
7.calm v. 使平静，使镇静； adj. 冷静的，沉 着的，平静的 1）The doctor did what he could to make the boy
calm 意义 1） 2）
calm. 2）I didn?t calm down until he was out of sight. 翻译下列句子： 1）Tom stood quite still , except that his lips moved slightly. 2）They lived a quiet life in the countryside. 3） You?d better be silent about what?s happened. It?s a secret. 4）The sea is calm and the sky is clear today, so we should go for a long walk on the beach. 8. suit 1）n. 套装 He wears a suit to work. 2）vt. 适合，适宜；满足（需要等）（衣服，款 ； 式等）与…相配，对…合适 ①The after-school programme suits the needs of most of the children. ②This new jacket suits her beautifully . ③I work part-time, which suits me fine. ④He is suited for /to teaching. 9．likely adj. 可能的 1）He is not likely to come. Let's begin now. 2）Look at the dark clouds. It's likely to rain right away. 3）It's likely that the green team will win the match.
拓展：calm/ quiet/ silent/ still 的区别
suit 意义 ① ② ③ ④ 用 suit / fit / match 填空 ①I tried the dress on but it didn?t____. It was too small. ②Her clothes don?t_______ her age. ③Does this skirt_____ me？
likely 用法： 1） 2） 3）
10. attach vt. 安装；贴；系；附加（署名，文件等） ；使（组 织）附属；喜欢，依恋，爱慕；重视；认为…… 有重要性 1)She attached a stamp to the envelope and mailed it. 2)This middle school is attached to the university. 3)He attached his signature to the contract. 4)He is deeply attached to the old camera. 5)She is attached to her elderly uncle. 6)It is unwise to attach too much importance to the information. attach 意义 1) 2） 3） 4） 5） 6）
1. volunteer: n. v. 志愿做某事 许多志愿者自愿帮助镇上的老人。 志愿为某事（出力）volunteer for sth. I volunteered for a very important meeting. adj. 志愿的 In her spare time she （经常做志愿工作） 2. attract vt. 吸引 1）The garden city . 那个花园城市吸引许多游客。 2） 翻译： Like attracts like. 3） 吸引某人的注意 拓展： n. 吸引，吸引力 旅游胜地 adj. 吸引的，有吸引力的 ① The Forbidden City is a major tourist . ② The new cartoon is to children. ③ order to In more students, we must try to diversify the textbooks. 3. likely adj. 可能的 用法归纳：1）很可能…… 2）……可能做某事 e.g. ① Tom will attend the party. 汤姆可能会参加这个晚会。 ② is likely that the weather will be fine. (句型转换) It =The weather__ ____ __ __ _ ___. 比较：possible 用于① ② probable 用于 练习： 1）It is _______ _for her to finish that maths problem in such a short time, because she is so clever. 2）The weather is __ __to be fine. 3）There is only 5 minutes left. It is highly ___ ___that we will be late. 4. approach vt. , 2) n. A．完成下列句子： 1) The Spring Festival (快到了) 2) He is rather . （他很难接近） 3) His （处理这个问题的方法）are wrong. 4) （冬天的来临）brings cold weather. 5) （通往这座城镇的所有道路）were blocked. 。 B．介词填空 ① The approach the final examination is making Linda nervous. ② need to try other approaches We solving the problem. 5. reduce vt. If we （减少生产） more workers will be out of work. ，
【拓展】减少到 减少了 15%（幅度） 减轻疼痛 将……变为粉末 1) By taking regular exercise, she 2) Because of the storm, the farmers? apple harvest
(体重减到)65 kilos. （减少了）30%.
1. Suddenly I caught s________ of an empty seat at the back of the bus. 2. I w if I have a chance to see a film. 3. The theater was so crowded that there was n________ for us to sit in here. 4. Those who suffer from headache will find they get _______ from this medicine. 5. You can?t camp _______you like these days. Many natural areas are now under protection. 6. He stood s________ for some time, with his lips pressed together. 7. You turned away, but I you by your hair. 8. Stop s________ out of the window and do some work!
glance at wish for reach out watch out for pay back get…across in sight
make the most of
1. What problems should I _________when buying an old house? make sense make the most of can?t help 2. He ____________ and his hand touched rough-grained wood. 3. The person told me that he was trying to find every chance to ____________ the help that people gave him when in trouble. 4. The boys were so hungry that on arriving home they ate everything __________. 5. He is not very good at __________ his ideas ___________. 6. I couldn?t have been happier: there was nothing else I could _________. 7. We all ____________ each other, saying nothing, and walked after him. 8. It would __________ for the parents to join in this discussion with their children. 9. Now that we are here, we must _______________ this opportunity to learn more. 10. I ____________ wondering what happened to that little girl.
（Keys: 1. sight 2. wonder. 3. nowhere 4. relief 5. wherever 6. still 7. recognized 8. staring ）
1. watch out for 2. reached out 6. wish for 7. glanced at
3. pay back
4. in sight
5. getting –across can?t help
8. make sense 9. make the most of 10.
volunteer to do sth. voluntary
does voluntary work
Many volunteers volunteered to help the old in their town.
glanced nervously at at first glance/sight glaring at stared at _glanced at attract one?s attention attracts many tourists 物以类聚。attraction: a tourist attraction attractive: attraction attractive attract 3. It is likely that . . . 主语+ be likely to do sth.
It is likely that is likely to be fine it is possible (for sb. ) to do sth. it is possible+that 从句 it is probable+that 从句
4. 靠近，接近；着手处理 n. 靠近；方法；路径 The Spring Festival was approaching. 快到了。 He is rather difficult to approach.他很难接近。 I'm approaching my home.我快到家了。 I'd advise taking a different approach.我建议采取不同方法。
The approach of winter brings cold weather.冬天即将来临,天气变得寒冷。 All approaches to the town were blocked.通往这座城镇的所有道路都被封锁了。 His approaches to the problem are wrong.他处理这个问题的方法是错误的。 of，to
5. reduce the production, reduce to
reduce by 15%
has reduced her weight to was reduced by 30%
way ＋ to do/ of doing, 前面接 in He did this this way. method ＋of, 前面接 with He earns money the method of stealing money. by means of He went to school means of taking a bus. approach to＋n. /doing the approach the question reduce vt. & vi. 减少 She has been reducing for the last few weeks.最近几个星期她一直在节食。 Some fat people try to reduce their weight.有些肥胖人设法减肥。 She reduced her weight by five kilograms.她把体重减轻了 5 公斤。 I bought this shirt because it was considerably reduced from its original price.我买这件上衣是因为它远远 低于它的原价。 They reduced the expenses to 60 per cent.他们将开支压缩到 60%。 In the old society he was finally reduced to begging.在旧社会,他最后被逼得讨饭。 【拓展】 You will have a reduction for cash. 付现金可以打折扣。 【活学活用】 (1) I tried every ___ to make him give up smoking, but I failed. A. way B. methods C. approach D. means (2)The only _________ to do this was to operate. A. way B. methods C. approach D. means (3) At the meeting they discussed three different________ to the study of math A，approaches B，means C，methods D，ways (4)we look forward to the day when the motor car has been replaced by some less dangerous ___________transport. A，approaches B，means C，methods D，ways (5)Only _________ this method can you get much benefit from it when reading A. in B. on C. with D. by (6)Only _________ this way can you improve your English. A. in B. on C. with D. by
When she saw me, she recognized me at once.她看到我时立即认出了我。 People know that and recognize its importance.人们知道这一点,也认识到它的重要性。 They refused to recognize our government.他们拒绝承认我们的政府。 I recognize that I have made a mistake.我认识到我犯了一个错误。 I recognized the picture as my father's works.我认得那幅画是家父的作品。 They recognized him to be a great leader.他们承认他是位伟大的领袖。 He is recognized to be a qualified announcer. 他被认为是合格的播音员。 【拓展】
She hoped she would avoid recognition by wearing dark glasses and a hat. 她戴上墨镜和帽子, 希望人们 认不出她来。 After so many years she was still instantly recognizable. 过了这么多年，还是一眼就能认出她。
Learning aims(学习目标): Important points(学习重点): To master the usages of some important words. Difficult Points(学习难点): Learn how to use these phrases freely.
1． observe vt.观察，注意到, vt.
遵守； 奉行 （法律、 习俗、 规章等） vt.庆祝； , 纪念 （节
日、生日等） She carefully observed every detail of their actions． We observed that it had turned cloudy． She observed a man walking on the opposite side of the way． Someone observed them enter the room. Everyone should observe the traffic rules. How will you observe your birthday?
⑴ 观察，专注地看 ~ stars 观测星星 ⑵ 注意到，觉察到 I ~d a letter on the table.我注意到桌上有一封信 ~ +名+doing /do 注意到…在做/做… His neighbor ~d stranger going /go into his house. He has been ~d to cheat at cards. 他被发现打牌时作弊。 ⑶ 遵守，奉行（法律等） ；保持（行为，状态等） ~ silence 保持安静 ~ the traffic rules 遵守交通规则 ~ good manners 遵守礼仪 ⑷ 举行（仪式等） ；庆祝（节日等） Do they ~ Christmas in this country? 这个国家的人过圣诞节吗？ [拓展] observation 名词
The teacher observed that some students were asleep. 老师发现一些学生睡着了。
Did you observe anybody take away my suitcase I left on the bench? He has been observing the newly-found star for several months. All students are required to observe school rules. How are you going to observe your eighteenth birthday?
observe (see, watch, notice) sb. do sth. 观 察 某 人 做 某 事 ?强 调 过 程 ?动 作 的 结 果 ? sb. doing sth. 观察某人做某事 ? 强调动作正在进行? (2) 遵守? 规则、法令等? Everyone should observe the traffic rules. 每个人都应遵守交通规则。 (3) 庆祝 How will you observe your birthday? 你将如何庆祝你的生日? observe the law/the rules and regulations 遵守法律/规章制度 observe Christmas 庆祝圣诞节 句型转换 ① The police observed the man enter the bank.(改为被动语态) →The man was observed to enter the bank by the police. B．完成句子 ② 我观察到池塘在干涸。 I observed that the pond was drying up. ③ 我从未看到他做过早操。 I have never observed him do morning exercises. When we observe festivals, we must observe the traffic regulations. If we observe someone running a red light, we should stop him.
observer: n. 观察者 observation: n. 观察? 观察力
2．glance vi.& n．瞥一眼，匆匆看 She glanced shyly at him and then lowered her eyes. 她羞怯地偷看了他一下，随即垂下眼帘。 He could tell at a glance what was wrong. 他一眼就看出了问题所在。
(1)glance at 看一下，浏览 glance over/through 浏览 (2) 看一眼 give/take a glance (at) (朝……)一瞥 比较] glance at, glare at, stare at in/ within sight 被看见，在视线之内 sight n. 情景，风景；视力，视觉，视野 Victory was not yet in sight. 胜利尚不可预料。 She let out a cry of surprise at the sight of the snake. 她一看见蛇，就发出惊奇的叫喊声。 Out of sight, out of mind. 眼不见, 心不烦。 in/within sight 看得见,在视线内 The train is still in sight. 火车还在视线范围内。 in the sight of 在----看来 out of sight 看不见 at first sight 咋一看 at the sight of sth. 一看见---就--They ran away at the sight of the police. 他们一看见警察就跑了。 catch / get / have sight of 看到，发现 lose sight of 看不见，忘记 *near-sighted, short-sighted 近视眼的
approach vt.靠近，接近；着手处理 n.靠近；方法；路径 approach: vi. 接近，靠近，即将到来 The summer vacation is approaching. 暑假即将到来。 vt. 接近，靠近;着手处理 He carefully approached the house. 他小心地走近那房子。 approach sb about sth 和某人商量某事 Did Mary approach you about lending her some money? n. 方法 the approach to the problem 问题的解决方法
2． Have you approached the manager about taking a day off next week? 你是否同经理谈过下周请一天假的事？
All the approaches to the palace were guarded by soldiers. 所有通向王宫的道路都有士兵防卫。 He approached the approach to the museum under the cover of the dark. (1)approach sb. on/about sth. (2)an approach to ... make approaches to sb. 和某人接洽/商量某事 ……的通道，入口； 解决……的方法 与某人打交道 在快到……的时候
4．anxious adj.焦虑，忧虑 You really shouldn't feel anxious.(教材 P3 原句) Helen is anxious about traveling on her own. 海伦对自己一个人出门旅行感到担心。 (1)be anxious for/about ... 为……担忧 be anxious to do sth 急于/渴望做某事 be anxious for sb. to do ... 希望某人做…… be anxious that ... 非常希望…… (2)anxiety n. 焦虑；不安；担心；忧虑 anxiously adv. 焦虑地
distance n. 距离；远处 at a distance 在远处，隔开一段距离 from a distance 从远处 keep one?s distance 保持距离 by distance 按里程 in the distance 在远处 keep sb at a distance 冷落某人 8．attract vt.吸引，引起……的注意；对……有吸引力 ? The situation in South China Sea attracted great attention of the media. 南海局势引起了媒体的极大关注。 What attracted me most to the job was the chance to travel. 这份工作最吸引我的是有旅行的机会。 aid n./ vt. 帮助 international aid 国际援助 first aid 急救 with the aid of sb 在某人的帮助下 come/ go to sb’s aid 帮助某人，援救某人 We should give some aid to the Third World. She came quickly to his aid. aid sb in/ with sth 在某方面帮助某人 aid sb to do sth= aid sb in doing sth 帮助某人做某事
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
We have aided him to finish/ in finishing the work ahead of time. volunteer: n. 志愿者 v. 志愿做，自愿做 volunteer to do sth. 志愿做某事 Many volunteers volunteered to help the old in their town. 许多志愿者自愿帮助镇上的老人。 volunteer for sth. 志愿为某事（出力） I volunteered for a very important meeting. voluntary: adj. 志愿的 voluntarily: adv. 志愿地
suit: n. [C](一套)衣服 a suit of clothes 一套衣服 I picked out a black suit. 我挑了一套黑色西装。 vt. sth suit sb. 适合,对某人方便，合---心意 The arrangement suited us both. 这个安排对我们两人都合适。 I was in love with Tom, but he didn’t suit my mother. be suited to/ for … 适合…,对某人合适 Her speech was well suited to the occasion. 她的讲话在这个场合十分得体。
⑴ 安装；贴；系 I ~ed a lamp to the bicycle. She ~ed a stamp to the envelope and mailed it. ⑵ 附加（署名，文件等） He ~ed his signature to the contract. 他在合同上签了字 ⑶ 使（组织）附属，使（人）成为一分子，配属 This institute is ~ed to the University of Texas. 这个研究所附属于得克萨斯大学 ⑷ 使（人）喜爱：使（人）依恋，使爱慕 He is deeply ~ed to the old camera. She is ~ed to her elderly uncle. ⑸ 给予（重要性） ；把…归于 It is unwise to ~ too much importance to the information.过于重视那个消息是不明智的 跟随…，追随…； 加入（组织等） [拓展] ~ oneself to … 他非常珍爱那台旧相机 她很依恋自己年老的叔叔。
1. recognize vt. 认识，辨认出；意识到； （正式）承认 When she saw me, she recognized me at once.她看到我时立即认出了我。 People know that and recognize its importance.人们知道这一点,也认识到它的重要性。 They refused to recognize our government.他们拒绝承认我们的政府。 I recognize that I have made a mistake.我认识到我犯了一个错误。 I recognized the picture as my father's works.我认得那幅画是家父的作品。
They recognized him to be a great leader.他们承认他是位伟大的领袖。 He is recognized to be a qualified announcer. 他被认为是合格的播音员。 【拓展】 9．likely adj.可能的 sb./ sth. be likely to do sth. 某人/物可能会做某事 It is likely to do sth 很有可能做某事 It?s (very/ most) likely that …可能是---There is/ are likely to be --- 可能有---He?s likely to win the game. It is very likely that he?s in trouble now. You should drive carefully because there are likely to be many children. 这项工作他似乎是最合适的人. He seems the most likely person for the job. It is likely that ... 很可能…… sb.＋be likely to do sth 某人可能做某事 It's likely that the green team will win the match. 绿队很可能将赢得比赛。 He is not likely to come.Let's begin now. 他可能不来了。我们现在开始吧。 Look at the dark clouds.It's likely to rain right away. 看那些乌云。很可能马上就要下雨了。 probable 常用于 It's probable that ...句型中 likely 主语既可以是人，也可以是物，常用句型：It is likely that ...; sb./sth.be likely to do ... possible 常用于句型：It's possible for sb. to do sth.; It's possible that ... 选词填空： likely, probable, possible ① They are to visit us if they know where we live. ② is It that they will come to attend the party. ③ is It for him to master the art of speaking. 1. the world of our senses sense: n.?1? 感官? 感觉 She has a good sense of smell. 她有良好的嗅觉。 ?2?? 对某物的? 感觉 I had the sense that he was lying. 我有种感觉? 他在说谎。 【拓展】 common sense 常识 a sense of achievement 成就感 a sense of humor 幽默感 make sense 有意义? 讲的通 His argument doesn?t make sense. 他的论点没有意义。 make sense of 理解? 了解 Can you make sense of the difficult article? 你能理解这篇较难的文章吗? v. 感觉到 sense sth. / that sense danger 感觉到危险 I sensed that he was lying. 我感觉到他在说谎
observe (see, watch, notice) sb. do sth. 观 察 某 人 做 某 事 ?强 调 过 程 ?动 作 的 结 果 ? sb. doing sth. 观察某人做某事 ? 强调动作正在进行?
每个人都应遵守交通规则。 你将如何庆祝你的生日? observe the law/the rules and regulations 遵守法律/规章制度 observe Christmas 庆祝圣诞节 句型转换 ① The police observed the man enter the bank.(改为被动语态) →The man the bank by the police. B．完成句子 ② 我观察到池塘在干涸。 I the pond was drying up. ③ 我从未看到他做过早操。 I morning exercises.
observer: n. 观察者 observation: n. 观察? 观察力
2．glance vi.& n．瞥一眼，匆匆看 (1)glance at 看一下，浏览 glance over/through 浏览 (2) 看一眼 at first glance/sight 乍一看 give/take a glance (at) (朝……)一瞥 比较] glance at, glare at, stare at 3．approach vt.靠近，接近；着手处理 n.靠近；方法；路径 Have you approached the manager about taking a day off next week? 你是否同经理谈过下周请一天假的事？ All the approaches to the palace were guarded by soldiers. 所有通向王宫的道路都有士兵防卫。 He approached the approach to the museum under the cover of the dark. (1)approach sb. on/about sth. (2)an approach to ... make approaches to sb. 和某人接洽/商量某事 ……的通道，入口； 解决……的方法 与某人打交道 在快到……的时候
4．anxious adj.焦虑，忧虑 You really shouldn't feel anxious.(教材 P3 原句) Helen is anxious about traveling on her own. 海伦对自己一个人出门旅行感到担心。 (1)be anxious for/about ... 为……担忧
be anxious to do sth be anxious for sb. to do ... be anxious that ... (2)anxiety n. anxiously adv.
急于/渴望做某事 希望某人做…… 非常希望…… 焦虑；不安；担心；忧虑 焦虑地
8．attract vt.吸引，引起……的注意；对……有吸引力 The situation in South China Sea attracted great attention of the media. 南海局势引起了媒体的极大关注。 What attracted me most to the job was the chance to travel. 这份工作最吸引我的是有旅行的机会。
选词填空： likely, probable, possible ① They are to visit us if they know where we live. ② is It that they will come to attend the party. ③ is It for him to master the art of speaking. 1. the world of our senses sense: n.?1? 感官? 感觉 She has a good sense of smell. 她有良好的嗅觉。 ?2?? 对某物的? 感觉 I had the sense that he was lying. 我有种感觉? 他在说谎。 【拓展】 common sense 常识 a sense of achievement 成就感 a sense of humor 幽默感 make sense 有意义? 讲的通 His argument doesn?t make sense. 他的论点没有意义。 make sense of 理解? 了解 Can you make sense of the difficult article? 你能理解这篇较难的文章吗? v. 感觉到 sense sth. / that sense danger 感觉到危险 I sensed that he was lying. 我感觉到他在说谎