Unit2 The Olympic Games
Reading: An Interview
One World One Dream
? ? ? ? ? ? ?
compete v. 比赛；竞争 take part in 参加；参与 stand for 代表；
象征；表示 admit v.允许；承认；接纳 as well 也；又；还 host v.做东；主办；n.主人 replace v.取代；替换；代替
? ? ? ? ? ?
charge v.收费；n.费用；主管 in charge 主管；看管 advertise v.做广告 bargain v.讨价还价 n. 便宜货 one after another 陆续地 deserve v. 应受（报答或惩罚）
Swifter, Higher, Stronger
更快 更高 更强 ------- the motto of the Olympics
29th Beijing Olympic Games 2008
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
1. When did the ancient Olympic Games start? A. 1896 B. 1906 C. 776 BC. 2. Where did the ancient Olympic Games start? A. Athens, Greece B. Sydney, Australia C. New York, USA 3. When did the ancient Olympic Games stop？ A．393 BC. B. 393 AD. C. 311 AD. 4. When was the first modern Olympic Games held? A. 1986 B. 1896 C. 1698
5. Where was the first modern Olympic Games held? A. in Athens B. in Sydney C. in New York
? ? ? ?
6. How many kinds of Olympic Games are there? Types: Winter Olympic and Summer Olympic A. 4 B. 3 C. 2
7. How often are the Olympic Games held? A. Every four years B. Every five years C. Every three years
8. What was rewarded to the winners in ancient Olympic Games? A. Metals B. Medals C. Olive wreaths 9.Who was China’s first gold medal winner and for what event? A. LI Ning, gymnastics B. Xu Haifeng, shooting C. Fu Mingxia, diving 10. Which sport is in the Winter Olympic Games? A. Badminton B. Basketball C. Speed skating
? ? ?
Step 4 The Five Olympic Rings Olympic Games Something about the
The Olympic rings
Background color: white Symbol(象征) of peace Shapes: 5 rings joined together The five rings stand for friendship of five continents.
奥林匹克环，象征五大洲的团 结，全世界的运动员以公正、 坦率的比赛和友好的精神，在 奥运会上相见。
Do you recognize them?
The Olympic Torch 火炬
Olympic Medals 奖牌
Official Mascots （吉祥物）of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games
The Olympic Motto:
Do you know what is the motto of Beijing 2008 Olympic Games?
One world, one dream!
New Beijing, Great Olympics 新北京，新奥运
Green Olympics, People’s Olympics and Hitech Olympics 绿色奥运，人文奥运，科技奥运。
Do you like sports? Which sports are you interested?
Having a competition
? Can you speak out the English names of the following sports as quickly as possible?
Predict: What will they talk about?
What does the passage tell us?
the ancient Olympic Games the modern Olympic Games good & bad effects of the OG the similarities between them the differences between them
Who was Pausanias?
?He was a Greek writer. ?He lived in Ancient Greece. ?He used to write about the Olympic Games.
Why does he interview Li Yan?
To find out about the present-day Olympic Games.
Guideline for the interview
two main sets of Olympic Games Who can take part in the Games? Where are the athletes housed? Who can host Olympic Games? What do athletes compete for?
Go over the questions and summarize them
p④ P⑤ P⑥,P⑦ p⑧
1. What does Pausanias say when he hears that women are also allowed to join in ? Please wait for a minute!... 2. How does Pausanias feel when he hears the Olympic Games are also about being able to run faster, jump higher and throw further? He is glad to hear that.
What are the differences and similarities between the ancient and modern Olympics? kinds how often motto similarities &differences athletes events
Ancient Olympic Games How many kinds 1 (summer Olympics)
Modern Olympic Games 2 (Summer &Winter Olympics)
What events running races, horse riding and so on Athletes Host city Prizes only men in the Greek world cities in Greece olive wreath
over 250 sports, skiing, ice skating and so on
any athletes reaching the standard any city in the world
1.have running races 2. 3. held every 4 years 4. the same spirit the most important games
As a matter of fact, every country wants the opportunity.
responsibility ?It’s a great ______________ but also a great
____________ to be chosen. honor
?There’s as much competition among countries to __________ Olympics as to ________ Olympic medals. host win
London has taken action for 2012:
?A new village for athletes will be built….. ?Stadiums will be built…. ?New medals will be designed…. ?And….
The Olympic Games are the biggest sports meeting in the world, which include Winter two main sets, theSummer _______and the _____ held Olympics. Both of them are ____ every ________. All countries can take part in it if four years their athletes reach the standard the games. ______ to Women are not onlyallowed join in but play ______to special village a very _______ role. A ___________ is built important for the competitors to live in, a stadiumfor ______ competitions, a gymnasiumas well as a press _________ center.
responsibility It’s a great ___________ but also a honor ______to host the Olympic Games. The replaced Olive wreath has been ________ by medals.
But it’s still about being able to run _____, faster
further jump ______ and throw _______. higher
Is it good to host the Olympic Games or not? Why or not?
a great honour tourism
great responsibility reasons to host the Olympic Games
new sports facilities
reasons not to host the Olympic Games
building many stadiums