Module 1 My First Day at Senior High
(P2, Task2) :
Read through the questions and guess the meaning of the words in bold.
Ask the questions about the
1. What’s your attitude to learning English? ['?t?tju?d] a way of feeling or thinking about someone or something 态度
[bi'heivj?] acting in a particular way, action 行为
2. What was your general behaviour in English class?
Ask the questions about the words（Page2）
3. Give me an example of your former English teacher’s teaching method. 4. What do you find most difficult about English? Comprehension [,k?mpri'hen??n] understanding, ability of understanding 理解(能力) instructions advice on how to do something 指示，说明 5. What are the main differences between Junior High school and Senior High school?
Fill in the blanks: My English Study English is one of my favourite subjects. I like it because it plays an important part in our daily life. I have a positive a________ ttitude to studying English. I am very i_________ nterested in it and every day I watch the Outlook English program on CCTV Channel 9. All of my class ehave quite well and listen to the work hard in class and we b______ nthusiastic teachers attentively. My English teacher is very e___________ ethod and she likes telling stories to us. I like her teaching m______. Though I like English very much, I still find understanding nstructions a little difficult and reading c______________ omprehension is i___________ also very tough for me. I think this textbook is really beautiful as it hotographs on it. I am sure I will work has got a lot of nice p____________ harder than before and make great p________ rogress in my English studies.
Pre-reading: What impress you most at the first day of Senior High?
My First Day at Senior High
Scan: What impress Li Kang most?
Paragraph 1 A self- introduction to Li Kang
Paragraph 2 Li Kang’s new school (the teacher & the calssroom). Paragraph 3 Li Kang’s new English teacher Paragraph 4 & the English class
Paragraph 5 Paragraph 6 The students in his class and the
homework for the first day.
Detailed information : read the text again and fill the form with correct information NOTES 1. differences between Li Kang’s Junior High and senior school 2. two things that the English teacher thinks are important to do in class 3. two things that the English teacher wants to improve
Ms Shen’s method of teaching The number of the students Reading comprehension Speaking
Choose the answers with the same meaning as the sentences from the text (Part 4 on P3) 1. Lines 21-24: Ms Shen’s method of teaching is nothing like that of the teachers at my Junior High school. a. My previous teachers’ method of teaching is better than that of Ms Shen. b. My previous teachers’ method of teaching is different from that of Ms Shen. 2. Lines 27-28: I don’t think I’ll be bored in Ms Shen’s class! a. I will find the class interesting! b. I will find the class difficult!
3. Lines 31-32: Some students were embarrassed at first … a. The students stopped being shy eventually. b. The students couldn’t do the activity. 4. Lines 33-35: Ms. Shen gave us instructions and then we worked by ourselves. a. We did everything by ourselves. b. We listened to Ms Shen’s explanation and then worked with each other.
? Describe Li Kang’s opinion about the new school.(Page4) 2. Li Kang is very impressed with the teacher and __________________________________________ the technology in his new school. The English __________________________________________ teacher’s method is very different from that in his old school and very interesting. The class is ___________________________________________ bigger and the students work hard.
How the passage is organized?
Para.1 Self-introduction I am…living in…, thoughts Para.2 The new school be enthusiastic and friendly, amazing classroom, almost as big as…, Para.3--5 The English teacher & the English class a woman called…, method of teaching, reading comprehension, have fun, be bored, be embarrassed, work by oneself, in a fun way, previous class, in other words, Para.6 The students and the homework. three times as many girls as boys, hard-working students, write/give a description of…, look forward to doing sth.
Model Essay 范文
I’m Li Kang living in Shijiazhuang and I’m writing down my thoughts about my first day at Senior High. I’m very impressed with the teacher and the technology in my new school, because my teachers are very enthusiastic and friendly and every classroom has a computer with a special screen.
The English teacher’s method is very different from that in my old school and very interesting. We were embarrased when we were introducing ourselves at first but stopped being shy eventually. Ms Shen helped us improve our spelling and handwriting in a fun way. The new class is bigger and the students work hard. And now I am looking forward to doing my homework.
If you are going to write a passage with the title “my first day at senior high, what other aspect will you write about. Please add another short paragraph to the passage wherever possible.
1. My first night at school; 2. The school activity you took part in; 3. Ceremony held to signal the beginning of a school semester; 开学典礼 4. Your first lunch at the school dinning hall; 5. Your first time in the school library. 6….