Unit 5 Overcoming obstacles Text A True Height I. Vocabulary 1. Fill in the gaps with words or phrases… 1) startled 2)mere 3) motion 4) sweating 5) stretched out 6) vain 7)On one occasion
8) anxiety 9) emotions 10) ashamed of 11) In my mind’s eye 12)recurring ’
2. Rewrite each sentence… 1) 2) prices. 3) 4) of alternate sunshine and rain. have been his lifelong passions， although he studied ， coincides with her husband’s ’ sends the prices soaring/results in the soaring of
economics at university。 。 5) Tension came over her.
Complete the sentences
1) media/ dedication to/grace 2) his competitors/ in excitement/ hug him/ congratulate him on 3) emotions/numerous/intensity/passion for
II. Collocation 1. Mike， a Green， made the suggestion that a large park be ， ， built near the community. 2. In a letter to his daughter，Mr. Smith expressed his wish ， that she （ should） continue her education to acquire still ） another degree. 3. There is no reason to hold the belief that humans have no direct moral responsibility to safeguard the welfare of animals. 4. Children need to feel safe about the world they grow up in, and it is unwise to give them the idea that everything they come into contact with might be a threat. 5. Anxiety can result from the notion that life has not treated us fairly. 6. Nobody believed his claim that he was innocent.
Comprehensive Exercises I. Cloze 1. Text-related
1) In my mind’s eye 2) groan 3) competitor 4) intensity 5) anxiety 6) tense 7) sweat 8) tension 9) soaring 12) fantasy 16) media
10) recurring 11)brought me back to earth 13) sweat 14) congratulate 15) numerous
Theme-related 3. convinced 4. how 8.only 5. build 10.touched
1. engineer 2. forget 6.accident
II. Translation 1. Translate the Sentences
It is the creativity and dedication of the workers and
executives that turned the company into a profitable business.
The prices of food and medicine have soared in the
past three months. 3) building. 4) His success shows that popularity and artistic merit We plan to repaint the upper floors of the office
sometimes coincide. 5) I don’t want to see my beloved grandmother lying in
a hospital bed and groaning painfully.
Translate the passage:
Numerous facts bear out the argument/statement/claim that in order to recover speedily from negative emotion, you should allow yourself to cry. You needn’t/ don’t have to be ashamed of crying. Anxiety and sorrow can flow out of the body along with tears. Consider the case of/ Take Donna. Her son unfortunately died in a car accident. The intensity of the below made her unable to cry. She said, “It was not until two weeks later that I began to cry. And then I felt as if a big stone had been lifted from my shoulders. It was the tears that brought me back to earth and helped me survive the crisis.”