1. Have you heard of Mark Twain? 2. What do you know about him?
1. He left school early, and as an adolescent, determined to make his fortune in South Am
erica, set off from his home in Hannibal, Missouri, for New Orleans. 2. He arrived in New Orleans without a penny in his pocket only to find that there were no boats for South America.
3. Forced to change his plans, he worked for several years as a pilot on a steamboat, taking passengers up and down the Mississippi, the great river which flows from the north of the US
near the Canadian border, down to the
Gulf of Mexico.
4. Twain’s vivid and often amusing
description of life on the river quickly
became popular, and established the reputation he still enjoys today.
Listen to the passage and answer the
1. In what ways was Mark Twain’s life
an adventure? He liked to travel, and later worked on the River Mississippi. 2. What are the best Chinese adventure stories?
Pen name and the meaning Led an adventurous life
“Mark Twain” which mean “watermark two” early years of the life: _____________ left school as an adolescent: determined to __________________________________ make his fortune in South America, ______________________________ set off for New Orleans his plan: he wanted to _______________________ take a boat to the Amazon when he arrived in __________________________________ New Orleans without a penny in his _______ pocket
Led an adventurous life
only to find that _________________________________, there were no boats for South America actually, then forced to change his plans __________________, he _________________________________ worked for several years as a __________________________. pilot on a steamboat
One of America’s greatest writers
The writer of the passage says, “Often the lives of the writers resemble the lives of the characters they create.”
Can you give another example to
support this opinion?
1. no exception 也不例外 1) no用以表达与所说的事截然相反 She’s no fool. =She is intelligent. 她可不是傻子。 She was wearing no ordinary hat. =Her hat was very unusual. 她戴的帽子可不一般。
2) exception 例外；除外 ① Most of the buildings in this town are unattractive, but this church is an exception. ② All students without exception must take the English exam. 毫无例外 ③ I enjoyed all his novels with the exception of his last.
回想 except与besides “除……之外” except prep. 除……之外(都不) [不包含] No one except me knew it. We all went except John. besides prep. 除……之外(还有) [包含] We all agreed besides him.
that to do 2. determine how/what/whether on/upon I determine to learn Greek. She will determine how it is to be done. I left him, determined never to set foot in that house again. He determined on an early start/ to start early. I ’m determined to succeed. (be ~d to do)
3. He arrived in New Orleans without a
penny in his pocket only to find that
there were no boats for South
【考点】 only to find ... 是only+不定式
【考例1】 He hurried to the station
only ______ that the train had left.
A. to find B. finding
D. to have found
【考例2】 The news reporters hurried to the airport only ______ the film stars had left. A. to tell C. telling B. to be told D. told
The life of Mark Twain Mark Twain is a ____name,which is a pen call used by ________on the Mississippi. sailors Mark Twain lived an _____________life. As adventurous a teenager, he decided to _____________ in make his fortune set off South America. So he ________ from Missouri for New Orleans. To his disappointment, he can not find a ____ for boat South America. He had to change his plan.
pilot He has been a ______for several years. Later, he became a journalist and wrote stories _______which happened on the _______. river Mark Twain is famous for his ______, vivid amusing and_________description, which helps establish him to _________the reputation.
1. Be familiar with the whole passage. 2. Recite all important words and phrases.