How Daisy Learned to Help Wildlife
Why should we protect wildlife?
Wildlife is our friends. They can keep the balance of nature and make the whole world colorful.
To protect wildlife is to protect ourselves.
What do you think we should do to protect wildlife?
We should treat plants and animals the same as our friends and relatives. We shouldn’t cut or kill them freely. We should protect the environment around us to let them have enough food and good living conditions. We should collect money to protect the endangered animals, too.
Words and expressions preview
carpet respond distant fur relief
in relief burst into laughter
n. 地毯 vi. 回答；响应；做出反应 adj. 远的；远处的 n. 毛皮；毛；软毛 n. （痛苦或忧虑的）减轻 或解除；减轻痛苦的事物 如释重负；松了口气 突然笑起来；大声笑出来
Words and expressions preview mercy certain importance rub protect from mosquito insect contain n. 仁慈；宽恕；怜悯 adj. 确定的；某一；一定 n. 重要（性） vt. 擦；摩擦
保护……不受……（危害） n. 蚊子 n. 昆虫 vt. 包含；容纳；容忍
Words and expressions preview powerful
vt. 影响；感动；侵袭 n. 注意；关注；注意力 vt. 鉴赏；感激；意识到
pay attention to 注意
secure income employ harm
vi. 成功 vt. 接替；继任
adj. 安全的；可靠的 n. 收入 vt. 雇用；利用（时间、精力等） n. vt. 损害；危害
Background Information What is WWF? World Wildlife Fund 世界野生生物基金会 world’s largest privately financed conservation organization protect endangered species and their habitats works in more than 100 countries with nearly 5 million members
Fast reading for general ideas
1.Where did Daisy go?
Tibet, Zimbabwe and rainforest.
2.Who took her there?
A flying carpet.
3.What kind of animal did she meet in each place?
An antelope, an elephant and a monk
Type of writing
This is a piece of narrative writing
Main idea of the passage
Daisy went byflying carpet to Tibet, Zimbabwe and a certain thick rainforest to visit endangered animals.
Idea of 1st paragraph
Daisy arrived in Tibet to see a sad antelope to learn that antelopes are an endangered species.
Idea of 2nd paragraph
Daisy came to Zimbabwe to see an elephant and learnt that his family was being protected by man.
Idea of 3rd paragraph
Daisy flew to a thick rainforest to find a monkey, learning that no rainforest, no animals, no drugs .
Idea of 4th paragraph Daisy returned home and she learnt so much about wildlife
Paragraph 1 1. How did the antelope feel? The antelope felt sad. 2. Why are people hunting and killing the Tibetan antelopes? In order to get the wool which is used to make sweaters.
1. How did life improve for the elephants? Past: Farmers used to hunt them without mercy for destroying their farms. Now: Farmers are happy and their numbers are increasing.
2. How did life improve for the farmers? Tourists can hunt a certain number of animals if they paid the farmers.
In what ways does looking after the rainforest help with wildlife protection?
Looking after the rainforest helps wildlife protection because it is where wildlife lives. It also contains many medicine and drugs that we do not know. These drugs may save lives.
Ways of wildlife protection
a. stop man from
b. build the protection zone.
c. pay more attention to their habitat.
One day Daisy went to see the animals
that gave fur to make her sweater _______ in a
flying carpet. It flew away toTibet _____ in
China first, where she saw anantelope ________.
The antelope told her that they were
killed for the wool ____ that was taken from
beneath their stomachs ________.
Then the flying carpet flew away to Zimbabwe where Daisy saw an __________, elephant The elephant said they used to ________. be an endangered species. Farmers _______ used to hunt them without mercy.
But with the help of the government, now the farmers are happy and their increasing . numbers are ___________ Then the flying carpet rose again and almost at once they were in a thick
A _______ monkeywas rubbing a millipede
drug _____ ____ insect which contains a powerful over his body because it could protect him from __________ mosquitoes . So Daisy decided to produce this new drug with the help of WWF _____. The carpet rose and flew home. Although finally everything gone she had ______ was _____, learned so much.
Make up dialogues The first one:
Daisy and the antelope The second one: Daisy and the elephant
The third one:
Daisy and the monkey
1. relief n. （痛苦或忧虑的）减轻或解除；减轻痛 苦的事物 1) It was a great relief to find that my family was all safe. 看到我的家人安然无恙，我感到极大 的欣慰。 in relief 如释重负；松了口气
2. burst into laughter 突然笑起来；大声笑出来 All the classmates burst into laughter when David acted as a monkey.
3. protect v. to keep someone or sth. safe from harm, damage or illness protect sb. /sth. from (against) sth. e.g. Try to protect your skin from the sun. e.g. Kids should be protected from the violence. protection n.
4. contain v. to have sth. inside or have sth. as a part 包含；容纳；容忍 e.g. He opened the bag, which contained a wallet, a car key and a mobile phone. e.g. This article contains important information about wildlife protection. container n. 容器
词语辨析 contain, include 都有“包含”的意思 include指在整体中能明确界定的几个部 分。 e.g. The health club includes a gym, swimming pool, and locker room. 健身俱乐部包括体操房，游泳池和更衣 室。 contain侧重包含“内容”或“成分”。 I think that vegetables are healthy food because they contain lots of vitamins. 我认为蔬菜是不错的食品，因为它们含 有大量维生素。
5. affect v. have an effect on 影响；感动；侵袭 e.g. Smoking greatly affects health.
区别: effect n. have an effect on/ upon sb./ sth. e.g. Smoking has a great effect on health.
6. pay attention to give your attention to 注意
1) Please pay attention to the difference between the two words. 请注意这两个词之间的区别。 2) You must pay attention to your teacher in the class. 上课的时候必须专心听老师 讲课。
7. appreciate vt. 鉴赏；感激；意识到 1) We appreciate your helping us. 我们感谢你们的帮助。 2) You can’t fully appreciate foreign literature in translation. 看翻译作品很难欣赏到外国文学的精髓。 3) I appreciate your problem, but I don’t think I can help you. 我理解你的困难, 但却爱莫能助。
8. succeed vi. 成功 vt. 接替；继任 1) If you work hard you will succeed. 你努力工作，你就会成功。
9. employ vt. 雇用；利用（时间、精力等） 1) The children were employed in weeding the garden. 孩子们忙着给花园除草。 2) Our company employed about one hundred people. 我们公司雇用了大约一百人。
10. harm n. vt. 损害；危害 1) There was a traffic accident in this street, but no one was harmed. 这街上发生了交通事故，但没有人受伤。
1. Try to retell the whole story. 2. Think about how the author wrote the passage.