Canada—“The True North”
沂南一中 刘红伟 赵庆秀
Part One Reading
【学海导航】 Ⅰ. Match the words with their proper meanings. (把单词与其相对应
的意思连接起 来。) 1. chat A. bags that people take with them when they travel 2. aboard B. a government member who is in charge of a government department 3. scenery C. a short informal test 4. slightly D. to talk to someone in a friendly, informal way 5. surround E. on or onto a ship, plane, bus or train 6. baggage F. general appearance of nature around you, especially beautiful nature 7. minister G. in or by a very small amount, so small that it almost can not be seen 8. quiz H. to be all around somebody or something on every side Ⅱ. Background knowledge(背景知识) Read the following passage and learn some information about Canada. Full country name: Canada Total area: About 9,984,670 square kilometers, the second largest country after Russia Population: about 32,227,000, very sparsely populated country (from 2006 Britannica of the Year) Capital city: Ottawa Languages: English 59.3% (official), French 23.2% (official), other 17.5% National flag: Maple Leaf Flag (The maple leaf is one of Canada’s emblems. Red and white are the country’s national colors). Sports: Canada’s most popular sports include swimming, ice hockey, cross country and alpine skiing, baseball, tennis, basketball and golf. Ice hockey and lacrosse are Canada’s national sports. Administrative divisions: 10 provinces and 3 territories Climate: Since Canada is a huge country, its climate varies greatly from region to region. The arctic region is the coldest area. The summer is very short while the winter can be as long as 8 to 10 months. The mean annual temperature is -5.6 degrees Centigrade. Canada’s most populous regions, which lie in the country’s south along the US border, enjoy four distinct seasons. The winter is mild and the summer is warm and sunny. Public holidays: Good Friday , Easter Monday , Victoria Day, Canada Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day Living standard: Canada ranks sixth in the world in standard of living, behind only the USA, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Germany, and Japan. Canada’s rank among nations tends to rise even higher in assessments that consider GDP per capita along with other factors (eg: life expectancy, education) that contribute to “quality of life”. Religion: Catholic, Protestant and minorities from most of the world’s other major religions Government: parliamentary democracy 【学习探究】
I. Fill in the blanks according to the passage. A trip on “the true north” The trip route What the cousins saw and heard It is the warmest and the most beautiful city in Canada. It is surrounded by 1 on the north and east and the 2 on the west. On the coast north of Vancouver some of the oldest and most beautiful 3 in the world still remain. Looking out of the window of the wild scenery, they can see mountain goats and even a grizzly bear and an eagle. Cowboys come from all over North America to compete in 5 . They saw acres. 6 that covered thousands of square 8 of the Great Lakes. It is a
4 Calgary wheat-growing province 7
The city is at the very busy port.
Ⅱ. Explanations of some difficult sentences. (难句释疑). 1. The thought that they could cross the whole continent was exciting.要横穿整个大陆 的想法很是令人兴奋。 the thought 后面的 that 从句是_________从句，修饰名词 thought, 进一步说明 thought 的内容是什么。连接代词 that 引导名词性从句时，that 在从句中不作成分。 常跟同位语从句的名词有:fact, order, problem, thought, belief, news, idea, promise, opinion, suggestion, advice 等。例如： I have got the news that he will come soon. 我已经得到他不久就要来的消息。 He made the promise that if anyone set him free, he would make him very rich.他许诺说， 如果有人把他释放，他会让他很富有。 文中的同位语从句还有： 1)Some people have the idea that you can cross Canada in less than five days, but they forget the fact that Canada is 5,500 kilometers from coast to coast. 2)The girls were surprised at the fact that ocean ships can sail up the Great Lakes. 2. Going eastward, you’ll pass mountains and thousands of lakes and forests, as well as wide rivers and large cities. 一路向东行，你们会经过一座座山脉，上千个湖泊，森 林，还有宽阔的河流和许多大城市。 going eastward 为现在分词短语作时间状语， 相当于状语从句 As you go eastward。 再如：Passing the store that night, I found someone stealing in it. 那天晚上经过那家商店时，我发现有人在里面偷东西。 3. It is so wet there that the trees are extremely tall, some measuring over 90 meters.那 里的湿度很大，所以树都长得特别高，一些高达 90 多米。 some measuring over 90 meters 是独立主格形式作定语， 进一步说明上文内容， 相 当于定语从句 some of which measure over 90 meters 或并列句 and some of them measure over 90 meters。 【自我测评】 Ⅰ. Translation
1. 与某人聊天 ______________ 2.设法做某事 ________________ 3. 对----有天赋________________ 4.混合物 _________________ 5.在远处 ______________ 6.市区的；在市区；往市区____________ 7.自助餐，饮食柜台______________ 8.宽阔的，广泛的___________ 9.使印象深刻，使铭记 _____________________ Ⅱ. Fill in the blanks with the proper forms given. (材料 2 P1) Measure; tradition; confirm; nearby; chat; settle down; catch sight of mix; manage; rather than;
1. Life to him meant action, __________(而非)thought. 2. If you ever _________(看见) Ted Clark anywhere, call the police. 3.The family soon ________(定居) in the United States. 4. He ________(测量) the height of the cupboard. 5. What he observed _________(证明) his judgment. 6.Will you please have a ________(聊天) with me? 7.Oil and water do not ________(融合). 8.The couple lived in the village ______(附近的). 9.I think the senior prom is a strange ________(传统). 10. Can you _______(吃) another slice of cake? 【拓展提高】 Fill in the blanks according to the information learnt in A Trip on “the True North” Canada is the second biggest country in the world. People can see mountains as they go__1__. Most Canadians live ___2__320 kilometers of the USA__3__. Vancouver, __4___by mountains on two sides, attracts people to ski in the Rocky Mountains and sail in the harbor. Li Daiyu and her cousin Liu Qian decided to fly China to Vancouver and take train to cross Canada. They were on a trip to visit their cousins. Of course the idea that they would cross the whole continent was__5__.After leaving the airport, they went to take train. That afternoon they ___6__ in their seats, they looked out of the windows at the wild___7__.Cowboys competed in riding wild horsed, many of them have a ___8_ for working with animals and can win many dollars in __9__. They saw large farms. After dinner, they arrived in Thunder Bay, which is a busy ___10__. That night they slept as the train rushed towards Toronto.
Part Two Language Study
【学海导航】 Ⅰ. 翻译下列单词和短语 1.compare-----with ___________ 2. take a trip_____________ 3.on a trip to ______________ 4. on the\one’s way to____________ 5. settle down _______________ 6. 看见，瞥见___________________ 7. 因-----而出名______________ 8. 混淆____________________ 9. 接近，大约________________ 10. 在破晓，在黎明____________ Ⅱ. 根据句义和首字母提示写出下列单词的完整形式。 1. There are seven c___________ and four oceans in the world. 2. Our boat stayed in the h__________ during the typhoon(台风).
3. I don’t like u________ life, but I like living in the rural(乡村的) area. 4. The _____( 主题、话题 ) for discussion today is “the Health of the Nation”. 5. There was _______(霜) covering the bushes. 6. I usually called my mom from a telephone b_________ when I was in university. 7. The __________(雾) has cleared. 8. Tom and Lucy are s_________; they study at the same school. 【学习探究】 Ⅰ. Words and expressions. 1. Li Daiyu and her cousin Liu Qian were on a trip to Canada to visit their cousins in Montreal on the Atlantic coast. 李黛予和她的表妹刘倩要去加拿大大西洋海岸的蒙 特利尔市看望她们的表兄妹们。 (P34) 点拨 trip n. (usually short)journey, esp for pleasure(通常指短途的)行走；旅行 与 trip 搭配的主要动词和介词：be on trip to; go on /make/take a trip to。 He is on a trip to Beijing. 他正在去北京的路上。 拓展 trip, tour, journey,travel, voyage 都有“旅行”的意思，但各词的含义有所不同。 一般指时间短、距离近的“旅行、远足”，也可以指长途旅行。在非正式用语 中可代替 journey。只作名词。例如：We made a boat trip to the island last week and had a good time. I will be on a trip to / journey to the south next summer holiday 指从一地到另一地，通常指陆地上的远距离“旅行”，有时也可以表示经常走 的或长或短的“路程”。 只作名词。 例如： I took a journey from Beijing to Shanghai last year.-- How long is your journey to school? --Only about 10 minutes. tour 着重指旅行线路比较曲折，常表示“(周游各地的)参观、访问、(巡回)旅 游、视察、购物、演出”等意思。可作动词和名词。例如：I will tour the world in the future. My father has gone down-town on a shopping tour. 作“旅行、游历”解，一般表示从一地到另一地旅行这一总的概念。常指长时 间、 远距离的“旅行”。 尤指出国旅行。 可作动词和名词。 其复数形式意思为“旅 游笔记”、“游记”。例如：At present, many people are fond of travel in their spare time.I am reading a book about the travels to North Pole.They came home after years of foreign travel. 主要指远距离的水上旅行，也可以指空中旅行意思为“航海、航空、航行”等。 只作名词。 例如： She usually gets seasick during the voyage.They made a voyage across the Pacific by air.
journey n. tour v.&n
运用 1) __________________________________. 他正出差在外。 2) My father will____________ New York next week. 我父亲下礼拜要去纽约。 3) Every day he would ________________ the hospital to see his father. 他每天都 会去医院看他父亲。 2. Rather than take the aero plane all the way, they decided to fly to Vancouver and then take the train west to east across Canada. 她们不想一路乘飞机，她们决定飞到温哥 华，再从西海岸乘火车横穿加拿大到达东海岸。(P34) 点拨 1 rather than 是并列连词，意为“与其；不愿；而不是”，可连接各种并列成分，在 语气上，前者是肯定的，后者是否定的。
拓展 1) rather than 连接两个主语时，谓语动词在人称和数上与前者一致。 2) would rather do…than do; would do…rather than do; prefer to do rather than do 都表示宁愿做……，而不愿做……。 3) would rather 宁愿，宁可 4) or rather 更确切地说 运用 Translation 1) ____________________________________. 我想喝甜水，不想喝纯净水。 2) ____________________________________. 你最好乘火车去那里而不是乘飞机。 3) _______________________________________.他正忙于写信而不是看电视。 4) The father rather than the children ________been blamed.(have/ has)受到责备的是父 亲而不是孩子。 5) 他不愿上学，愿呆在家里。 _________________________________________________. =____________________________________________________. =____________________________________________________. 6) 选择：The brave people in the village preferred to die rather than _____, and ____encouraged others to fight more bravely in the anti-Japanese battlefield A. to give in; it B. to give in; which C. give in; this D. give in; which 7) I will meet him, or rather I will ask him to meet me. (译成汉语) _________________________________________________________ 点拨 2across prep.&adv. 穿过；跨过；到 (在)……的另一边；从一边到另一边 There is a bridge across the river. 河的两边有桥相连。 We swam across the river. 我们游到河了对岸。 I walked across the park. 我穿过公园走去。 The library is just across the road.图书馆就在路的对面。 辨析 across, through 的用法区别： 主要表示动作从物体的表面上进行的，涉及 “面” 的概念，强调横向跨过，从一端到另一端，如过河、 过桥、过马路等。有时 across 表示“横过”也可在“体” 内进行， 但此时它仍与 through 有差别： across 表示从 某个“体”的一端到另一端，而 through 表示穿过两端。 例如： walk across the playground 走过操坪 / walk through a forest 走过森林 He walked across the hall. 他从大厅的一端走到另 一端。He walked through the hall. 他穿过大厅。 强调在一个上、下、左、右皆有东西的三维空间里 移动，涉及 “ 体 ” 的概念，含有 “in” 的意义。例如： He walked through the gate with Uncle Wang.他和王叔叔一 起走过了大门口。
运用用 across, through 填空 1) We walked ______ a stone bridge. 2) The Mekong River passes _________ low valleys to the plains. 3. The thought that they could cross the whole continent was exciting.要横穿整个大陆 的想法很是令人兴奋。(P35)
点拨 1 cross 用作动词，意指“越过，横穿”。 拓展 across 用作介词或副词。例如： go across a bridge 过桥 / cross a bridge 过桥 运用 1) __________________________________不要过马路，现在是红灯。 2) _____________________________________.那位老人小心地越过马路。 4. On the way to the station, he chatted about their trip. 在去火车站的路上， 林丹尼聊 起了他们的旅程。 点拨 chat vi.&n. 聊天；闲谈 1)chat 用作不及物动词。 chat to/with sb. about sth.“与某人闲聊有关某事”； chat up“与 某人攀谈”。 词形变化: 动词过去式:chatted 过去分词:chatted 现在分词:chatting 第三人称单 数:chats 2)用作可数或不可数名词。have a chat with sb. about sth.与某人谈论某事。 运用 1) ____________________________________ ? 你和他聊了些什么? 2) _____________________________________________? 昨晚你与之谈笑风生的那个漂亮姑娘是谁? 3) _________________________________________________. (关于她的工作)我和她聊了很久. 5.You are going to see some great scenery.你们沿途将会看到美丽壮观的风景。(P34) 点拨 scenery n.景色；风景 辨析 scenery, scene, view, sight 这些名词均含“景色、风景”之意，区别在于： scenery 指一个国家或某一地区的整体自然风景，多为不可数名词。 scene 指具体的、局部的或一时的景色，可以是自然形成的，也可人工造成的。 view 普通用语，多指从远处或高处所见的景色。 sight 侧重指旅游观光的风光， 包括城市景色或自然风光景色。也指人造景物或 奇特的景色。常用复数形式。 运用 1) The ______ is beautiful around here. 2) The night _______ in Shanghai is quite beautiful. 3) This room has a fine ______ of the mountains. 4) The rainbow over the sea was a glorious __________. A scene B. scenery C. sight D. view 6. Going eastward, you’ll pass mountains and thousands of lakes and forests, as well as wide rivers and large cities. 一路向东行，你们会经过一座座山脉，上千个湖泊，森 林，还有宽阔的河流和许多大城市。(P34) 点拨 1 going eastward 为现在分词短语作时间状语，相当于状语从句 As you go eastward。再如： Passing the store that night, I found someone stealing in it.那天晚上 经过那家商店时，我发现有人在里面偷东西。 点拨 2 eastward 用作副词时， 也作 eastwards, 意为： toward the east。 注意不能说 go to eastward 而说 go eastward。 类似用法的词语还有： westward 向西； upward 向上地； downward 向下地； forward 向前；backwards 向后。 运用 1) _________ the store that night, I found someone stealing in it. A. Passed B. Passing C. When passed D. having passed 2) The train is running eastward. 词性________；意思_______________.
3) The river is running in an eastward direction. 词性________；意思_________. 7. The coast north of Vancouver has some of the oldest and most beautiful forests in the world. 在温哥华北面的海岸上保存着世界上最古老、最美丽的森林。 点拨 north of Vancouver 是副词短语作后置定语，修饰先行词 the coast。north 可用作 副词,表示“向北方； 在北方”， 常与 of 连用, north of…=to the north of…“在……的北方”。 例如： sail north 向北航行；lie north and south 横亘南北 We traveled north for two days. 我们向北旅行了两天。 Canada is on the north of the United States. 加拿大在美国的北面。 拓展 1)north 用作名词时，常与 the 连用。 a cold wind from the north 北方吹来的冷风 Japan lies to the north of Philippines. 日本在菲律宾群岛的北面。 2)north 可用作形容词，意指“北方的； 来自北方的；位于北方的；朝北的”。 North China 华北 North Pole 北极 North Star 北极星 a cold north wind. 寒冷的北风 She lives in the north part of the city. 她住在城北。 3) 辨析 in(to, on)the east/west/north/south of A is in the east of B A is to the east of B A is on the east of B 表示 A 在 B 的东部，即：A 在 B 的范围之内。例 如：Japan is in the east of Asia.日本在亚洲东部。 表示 A 在 B 的东方，即：A 在 B 的范围之外，且相 隔有一定的距离，口语中有时可将 to the 省去。例如： Japan lies (to the) east of China.日本位于中国东方。 表示 A 在 B 的东边(侧)， 即： A 与 B 相邻接。 例如： Shandong is on the north of Jiangsu.山东在江苏北边。
运用 1. It is colder _________ the north. 2. Mexico is __________ the south of North America. 3. Korea lies _________ the east of China. 4. Hebei Province is __________ the north of Shandong. 8. It is so wet there that the trees are extremely tall, some measuring over 90 meters.那 里的湿度很大，所以树都长得特别高，一些高达 90 多米。 点拨 1 some measuring over 90 meters 是独立主格形式作定语，进一步说明上文内容。 点拨 2 measure 1) 量尺寸、面积，与表示数量的词(短语)连用，其主语是表示物的名词。 This room measures ten meters across. 这房间宽十米。 2) take sb.'s measure 或 take the measure of sb.给某人量尺寸； take the measure of sth.给某物量尺寸。 3) take measures 采取措施，这时 measure 通常用复数形式。 运用 1) ___________________________________.裁缝给我量尺寸做了一套新衣服。 2) ____________________________________. 我们应该采取措施减少事业。 3) _____________________________________. 同时他们正在采取强有力的措 施保护野生动物资源。 9. That afternoon aboard the train, the cousins settled down in their seats.那天下午表姐 妹俩才登上火车落了座。 点拨 1 aboard adv.& prep.上船(飞机、车)，在船(飞机、车)上 He has gone aboard (the ship/the plane/the train. 他已上船(飞机、车)了。
All aboard! 请上船(飞机、车)。/(通知驾驶员可以开行或起飞了)所有乘客都已上 船(飞机、车)。 Welcome aboard! 欢迎各位乘坐本飞机(本轮船)！ 拓展 1) board 可以用作及物或不及物动词。 解释为： get on a ship/train/plane/ bus, etc. “上船(车、飞机等)”。例如： 2) on board 在船(车、飞机)上； go on board 3)go aboard(the ship/the plane/the train)=board 上船 (飞机、车等) 运用 1) _________________________________________.请立刻上火车。 2) ____________________________________________乘客们登机了吗？ 点拨 2 settle down 有下列几层含义： 1) 定居；从事固定的职业；过安定的生活。 2) (使)平静下来；安下心来；专心于。表示专心于干某事可以用 settle down to sth./to do sth.也可以说 settle down and do sth.或 calm down and do sth. 3) (使)舒适地坐或躺；适应起来。 运用 3) Have you _____________ in your new job？你适应新工作了吗？ 4) I must ______________ this morning and finish the term paper. 我今天上午必须安下心来完成学期论文。 5) After working abroad for several years, Gill wants to settle down to a permanent job in Britain. ___________________________________________(翻译)。 6) The constant interruptions stopped him settling down to his work. __________________________________________________________(翻译)。 10. Earlier that day, when they crossed the Rocky Mountains, they managed to catch sight of some mountain goats and even a grizzly bear and an eagle.她们设法看到了 野山羊，甚至还看到了一只大灰熊和一只鹰。 点拨 manage to do 设法做成…… 辨析 辨析 manage to do 与 try to do 1)manage to do 表示“设法成功地完成(了)较困难的事情”， 强调结果， 相当于 be able to do sth.或 succeed in doing sth.；try to do 表示“尽力，设法去做某事”，强调目的，结果 如何，不得而知。 2)manage 与 can 或 could 连用，意为“能办好某件难事”，口语中还可作“吃，渡 过”解；manage 还表示“经营，管理”的意思。 运用翻译下列句子 ① Jim had a lot of homework, but he managed to finish it before bedtime. _____________________________________________________。 ② Jim had a lot of homework, and he tried to finish it before bedtime. _______________________________________________________。 ③ She managed the house very well._____________________。 ④ It’s too heavy, but I can manage it._____________________________。 ⑤ I don’t think we can manage a huge fish like that just between the two of us. _______________________________________________________. 点拨 2 catch sight of 意为“看见，瞥见” 拓展 1.at first sight 第一眼就；即可的，马上的 2. lose sight of 不再看见---；失去某 人的音讯 3. at the sight of 一看见 4. come in sight 进入视线内，映入眼帘 运用 翻译下列句子
1)他对她一见钟情。_____________________________________________. 2)这个小孩一见到他妈妈就哭了。____________________________________. 3)那座有名的塔终于出现在眼前。_____________________________________. 4)这位司机跟丢了他所跟随的车。____________________________________. 11. Many of them have a gift for riding wild horses and can win thousands of dollars in prizes.他们中许多人都有骑野马的才能，他们能赢得几千美元的奖金。 点拨 have a gift for 对……有天赋 The man in black has a gift for drawing. 穿黑衣的人有画画天赋。 Many people want to have a gift for making money. 许多人想有赚钱的天赋。 拓展 gifted adj. 有天资的；有天赋的 a gifted musician =a man of many gifts“多才多 艺的人”. 运用 1)她学语言有天赋。______________________________________. 2)他好像对音乐有些天赋。________________________________________. 3)莎士比亚是一个有天赋的作家。 ______________________________________________________________. 12. ……, and there was frost on the ground, confirming that fall had arrived in Canada. 地面上覆盖上了一片薄霜，表明秋天已经来到了加拿大。(P38) 点拨 1 confirming that fall had arrived in Canada 是分词短语作非限制性定语从句，补 充说明上文内容的， 相当于非限制性定语从句 which confirms that fall had arrived in Canada。 点拨 2 confirm 的基本意思是“证实，证明；批准”，是及物动词，其主语多是人， 宾语可以是名词，代词或 that 从句。 运用 1) What he observed confirmed his judgment. _______________________。 2) We have confirmed the report. ___________________________________。 3) It was confirmed by experience. _____________________________________。 4) The king confirmed that the election would be on July 20th. ________________. 13. In the distance, they could see the misty cloud that rose from the great Niagara Falls, which is on the south side of the lake.远处， 她们可以看到湖的南边尼亚加拉大瀑布 上方升腾着的雾霭。(P38) 点拨 in the distance 意为“在远处；远方的” 拓展 1) at/from a distance 隔开一段距离，有些距离；keep (sb) at a distance (对某人) 保持疏远 2) distance n. 距离；路程；远处；(时间的)相隔；冷漠 3) distant adj.远的，远离的，常与介词 from 连用。 a distant town 遥远的城市；a distant relative 远亲；a distant journey 远游 ； in the distant past 很久以前，在遥远的过去。 运用 Read the following sentences and translate the underlined words and expressions 1) It’s a long distance from New York to Hong Kong. _____________ 2) They saw a few goats in the distance. ___________ 3) This picture looks better at a distance. ____________ 4) Her father asked her to keep her distance from that fellow. _____________ 5) Lately she has seemed to distance herself from me. _____________ 6) The story happened in the distant past. ___________ 7) He is a distant nephew of mine.
14. As they sat in a buffet restaurant looking over the broad St Lawrence River, a young man sat down with them. 当她们坐在咖啡馆里眺望广阔的圣劳伦斯河时， 一个年轻 人坐在了她们的身边。(P38) 点拨 broad adj. 宽广的；广阔的；广泛的 The river is 50 meters broad.这条小河有 20 米宽。 He has a broad knowledge of history.他历史知识广泛。 拓展 1. 辨析 broad 与 wide wide 和 broad 是同义词， 但它们的侧重点不同。 wide 表示两个边缘之间的距离， 而 broad 的重点则在于面积的广大。a wide river 宽阔的河流； the broad sea 宽广的 大海。运用时要注意以下情况： 1)在表示街道、河流多宽时，两个单词都可用。如： Canal Street is very wide. 运河街很宽。 The main street of the village was broad. 村子里的大街很宽。 They came to a wide river. 他们来到一条大河边。 The river is 30 feet broad. 那条河有三十英尺宽。 2)当谈到某样东西有多宽时要用 wide。 The door is three feet wide. 门有三英尺宽。 The material is 2 meters wide. 这种衣料有 2 米宽。 指胸部、肩部及额头宽时多用 broad 表示。指眼睛、嘴巴时用 wide。 He was tall, broad-shouldered, very handsome. 他高个子，肩很宽，很英俊。 3) 二者都可以用于引申意义，wide 表示“广泛的、渊博的、丰富的”等。Broad 表示“宽阔的，广大的；渊博的”等。 He has wide interest. 他有广泛的兴趣。 He has a wide/broad knowledge of French history.他对法国历史有渊博的知识。 The broad masses of the people of the world want to be friends with us. 世界上的广大群众愿和我们友好。 2. 注意辨别下面三个词的拼写：abroad adj. 宽阔的；abroad adv. 在国外；到国外； aboard prep.& adv.在船(飞机、车)上 运用 wide/ broad 1) The skirt is too ________ for her. 2) He is a tall man with ________ shoulders. 3) She stared at him with _______ eyes. 4) He has a ________ mind. II．Grammar study 同位语从句 定义：同位语从句用于对名词作进一步的解释，具体说明名词的实际内容，主要 由 that 引导。 1. 同位语从句通常由 that 引导 1)同位语从句常放在 fact， idea，hope，conclusion，news，opinion，problem， information，thought，order，understanding 等名词后面作同位语。 经典范例：I had no idea that you are here.我不知道你在这儿。 The news that the team won the game is exciting. 球队赢得了这场比赛的胜利真是令人激动。 2)同位语从句有时与从句分开。 经典范例： The fact remains that he accepted the money. 他收了那笔钱的事实依然存在。 An idea occurred to him that he might go there by air.他突然想起他可以乘飞机去
那里。 The story goes that the general killed the king.传说将军杀死了国王。 2.wh- 疑问词引导的同位语从句 疑问代词 who, which, what 和疑问副词 where, when, why, how 也可以引导同位 语从句 经典范例：The question who should do the work requires consideration.谁应当做这 件工作，这个问题需要考虑。 3.whether 引导的同位语从句 引导同位语从句，通常用 whether，不用 if。 经典范例：They are faced with the problem whether they should continue the work. 他们面临是否还继续这项工作的问题。 4. 同位语从句和定语从句的区别 1) 从意义上来说，同位语从句对一个名词加以补充说明，定语从句对一个名词 进行修饰或者限定。从结构上来说，同位语从句由连词引导，连词在句中不作任 何成分，只起引导作用，不可以省略；由关系词引导的定语从句在句中担任一定 的成分，含有代替所修饰或者所限制的词语的意义。作宾语时可以省略(2)同位语 从句说明的名词基本都是抽象名词，而定语从句修饰、限定的名词则没有限制。 The news that they won the match is true.他们比赛获胜的消息是真的。 (同位语从句， news 和从句没有逻辑关系。) The news that you told us yesterday is true.你昨天给我讲的消息是真的。(定语从 句，news 是 told 的逻辑宾语。) 练习 1. 你知道同位语从句和定语从句的区别吗？那么牛刀小试来辨别吧！ 1) The question whether the Prime Minister should resign must be decided soon. 2) The plane that has just taken off is for London. 3) The fact that he has already died is quite clear. 4) The problem that we are facing now is how to get money. 是同位语从句的是____,______;是定语从句的是_____,______. 2. 选择填空 1) Is this the very reason _____at the meeting for the carelessness and pride in his work? A. he explained B. what he explained C. how he explained D. why he explained 2) The fact_____ China is the largest country in the world in population is very clear. A. that B. which C. / D. about which 3) Danby left word with my secretary ____ he would call again in the afternoon.(05 浙江) A. who B. that C. as D. which 【自我测评】 Ⅰ. Fill the blanks with the correct form of each given word or phrase, one for one. (1) wealthy (2)gift (3)tour (4)eastward (5)slightly (6)dawn (7) terrify (8) port (9)figure (10)within (11) distance (12) broad (13) downtown (14) official (15) terrify (16)surround 1. You have to get _____ permission to build a new house. 2. Her husband’s shout _____ her and she cried. 3. Mike has _____ mind and he can stand being treated badly. 4. The hill, _______ by a lake, is good to have a visit.
5. I have to go _______ to buy some goods. 6. What’s the ________ from Beijing to Shanghai ? 7. Children must remain ______ the school grounds during lunch break. 8. I’m ______ sorry to have trouble you. 9. The ______ view toward the mountains was really beautiful. 10. John is ______ older than others and he knows more. 11. They worked almost until _____. 12. They are going to have six days ashore while the ship is in _____. 13. I _____ that he was drunk and shouldn’t be allowed to drive. 14. I think the 10-day ____ of China is of great benefit to us. 15. Herry is a ______ singer and can sing many songs from young. 16. Canada is a ______ country in the world. Ⅱ. 选择恰当的关联词填空。 whether; which; how; how many; that; why; when 1. The problem_______ we can protect the grain from damp needs to be discussed. 2. There is some doubt ______ he will get a job at the research institute or not. 3. I had no idea _____ the peasants there didn’t keep geese. 4. _______ people died from starvation that year will never be known. 5. The problem ________ this material can be used in our factory has not been solved. 6. He asked us the question ________ the butcher was likely to return from the town. 7. My suggestion _______ we add some sand to this soil was accepted. 8. I don’t know the reason ______ you were absent from the meeting, but I’m sure that someone will tell me the reason ______ you haven’t told me. 9. The doctors are trying their best to reduce the people’s fear ______ they would be infected by the present disease called SARS. 10. I have no idea ________ team will win. 【拓展提高】 从 A，B，C，D 四个选项中，选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项。 1. ____ he had for trade with local products. A. What a great gift B. What a beautiful gift C. How beautiful D. How beautiful a gift 2. —Remember the first time we met, Jim ?—Of course I do. You _____ in the library. A. were reading B. had read C. have read D. read 3. ______ you have made a promise, you should carry it out. A. Until B. Once C. For D. While 4. I didn’t know Jane _____ in Paris. How long ______ here? A. is; does she live B. was; has she been C. has been; is she D. were; has she come 5. I don’t know _____ she always looks down upon me. A. why is it which B. why it is that C. who is it which D. what it is that 6. If metal is heated and then cooled very quickly, ______ by dipping in winter, it will be hard but will break easily. A. what’s more B. in general C. for example C. on the other hand 7. Though they are of _____ age, they are quite ______ opposite in character.
A. an; an B. an; the C. the; an D. the ; / 8. The thought ____Miss Brown would open a restaurant here surprised her husband. A. that B. what C. whether D. if 9. News has spread ______ Mr. Smith has two people over him in this department. A. while B. that C. when D. as 10. It is a common belief _____a thousand miles no longer means much to us today, for modern transportation can easily get us____ this distance. A. that; to B. what; to C. that; over D. what; over 11. I think his success lies in the fact _____she is co-operative and eager to learn from others. A. why B. what C. that D. how 12. Do you believe her reason for being late for class, _______she missed the early bus? A. why B. that C. where D. because 13. A warm thought suddenly came to me ______I might use the pocket money to buy some flowers for my mother’s birthday A. if B. when C. that D. which 14. I think Tom, rather than you, ______ to blame. A. are B. is C. being D. be 15. It was not until she got home ______Jennifer realized she had lost her keys. A. when B. that C. where D. before
Part Three Listening and Speaking
【学海导航】 Ⅰ. Look up the following words and phrases in your dictionary, for they’re very important for your following listening. be fond of; ancestor; mixture; official language; offer sth to sb; mix up; The Arctic; similar Ⅱ . Read the introduction to the Canada. Canada is one of the few countries that has an official multicultural (多种文化的) policy. The population is changing rapidly and immigrants(移民) from China are among the most numerous recently. In a recent United Nations survey, Toronto was identified as one of the most multicultural cities in the world. 【学习探究】 Listening material on Page37 of the workbook. (练习册 37 页听力材料) Ⅰ . Listen to the tape and tell whether the following sentences are “True” or “False” according to what you have heard. 1. People who come to Canada are not allowed to keep their own customs. ( ) 2. Canada is a mixture of many cultures and races. ( ) 3. If you live in the province of Quebec , you are expected to speak French. ( ) 4. You may find areas where people from the same culture live near each other. ( ) 5. The families who lived in Canada for a long time are not usually all mixed up. ( ) Ⅱ. Listen again and choose the best answer to each question. 1. Why can we call Canada a multicultural country? A. Because Canada is a mixture of many cultures and races. B. Because Canada has a long history. C. Because Canada is so big that it’s difficult to describe.
2. We expect everyone to learn _____in order to live in Canada. A. French B. English C. French or English D. French and English 3. How many languages are used in radio and TV programs, newspapers and magazines. A. more than 80 B. about 70 C. less than 80 【自我测评】 Listening material on Page69 of the workbook. (练习册 69 页听力材料) Ⅰ. Listen to the tape and fill in the blanks with proper words. (听材料，然后填空。) 1. China is about ______kilometers _____east _____ west. 2. It’s not easy for Chinese to _____ _____ their neighbors, even if they ____ ____ _____ _____ ______. 3. China’s Gobi Desert, ____ _____ _____ _____ ______, is very special. 4. Both China and Canada have long rivers and many lakes ____ ____ ____ _____ _____ _____ on the Pacific Ocean. 5. There is nowhere to ____ _____ _____ ______ in winter in Canada! Ⅱ. Listen again and discuss the following question. Why might people from Canada want to visit Hainan? ____________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________. 【拓展提高】Speaking Suppose some foreigners are coming to China to visit the Great Wall, you will introduce the Great Wall to them. Find information on the Internet or in the newspaper. Make some notes and be prepared to introduce it to them.
Part Four Writing
【学海导航】 Ⅰ. 写作方法： 介绍国家、城市、村镇等的说明文，通常采用空间顺序来安排，即按照事物的空间存在 形式，从外到内、从上到下、从前到后、依次介绍或说明，反之亦是；也可按照空间位置顺 序，采用“整体—部分—整体”的说明方法。 说明顺序，不是机械不变的，而应该根据说明 的内容灵活运用。有时，说明复杂事物时， 常可采用几种顺序， 例如时间顺序、 逻辑顺序等， 总之，要使读者的思路紧跟着文章的脉络，步步深入、丝丝入扣。 Ⅱ．介绍国家、城市、村镇等时经常用到下列单词、短语和句型： 1) lie, stand, sit, be located, be situated, to the north(south, east, etc) is …, …lies to… 2) have a population of, Its population is…, The population of …is…, have a large(small) population 3) The country has an area of…square kilometers. It is a country with a…territory…, …Province lies in the north (south, southeast, etc.). 4) 表示空间顺序的词语： here, there, on one side…on the other side, in front of, at the back of, next to。 【学习探究】 请用英语写一篇文章，简要介绍中国的概况。内容要点如下： (1) 中华人民共和国是一个有中国特色的社会主义国家。它是一个发展中国家。 (2) 中国位于亚洲的东部，有许多邻国。北面和东北面有蒙古、俄罗斯和朝鲜；南面有 越南、老挝、泰国和菲律宾，西面和西南面有缅甸、印度、尼泊尔、不丹和巴基斯坦； 东面有日本，与中国隔海相望。
(3) 中国幅员辽阔，有 960 万平方公里。 (4) 它有 34 个省，自治区和直辖市。首都是北京，位于华北。 (5) 中国是世界上最大的国家之一。现在，它有 12 亿多人口，占世界人口的四分之一。 According to the information above, fill in the blanks. The People’s Republic of China is a socialist country with its own characteristics. It is one of the 1.________ countries. China lies 2.______ the east of Asia. It has 3.__________ neighboring countries. 4______ the north, northeast 5._______ northwest are the Mongolia, Russia and Korea. 6.______ the south are Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Philippines. To the west 7.________ southwest are India, Burma, Nepal and Pakistan. To the east is Japan, which faces China 8._______ the East China Sea. China is a country with 9._______ territory. It has an area of 10.________ 9,600,000 square kilometers. It 11.____ ___ 34 provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities directly under the Central Government. Beijing, which 12._______ __ the North China, is its capital. The People’s Republic of China is one of the largest countries in the world. Now it has a population of 13.________ 1.2 billion, 14.________ a quarter of the world population. 【自我测评】 假定你是李华，应英国朋友 Bob 的要求，写一封短信介绍你校图书馆的基本情况。内 容须包括下面两幅图中的相关信息。
注意：1．词数 100 左右。 2．可以适当增减细节，以使行文连贯。 3．开头语已为你写好。 Dear Bob, Thank you for your last letter asking about our library. _______________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ 【拓展提高】 请根据下列提示写一篇今年十一期间第一次离家去加拿大旅游的短文。100 字左右。 1. 离多伦多较远，早早从旅馆乘车去，下午五点返回。 2. 上午参观动物园，并在动物园附近的公园野餐，下午参观爬行动物馆。 3. 第一次离开父母和同学们一起旅游，第一次见到鲸鱼和熊等。 生词提示：野餐 picnic 爬行动物 reptile 鲸鱼 whale 熊 bear
(时间：45 分钟 满分：100 分) Ⅰ．单词拼写(共 10 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 10 分) 根据首字母或者汉语注释写出单词的正确形式。 1. A m ______of this government will visit Beijing next month. 2. She f______ out that he was leaving on Tuesday. 3. The o______ languages of Canada are English and French. 4. Please don’t b_____ me, for I have a lot of work to do now. 5. The weather is e_______ cold, so you’d better put on your coat. 6. My father __________(使铭记) on me the importance of hard work. 7. Smith and Tom have a _______ (稍微) different attitude about this problem. 8. My parents did their best to keep up the family ________(传统). 9. The track was three meters ______(宽) 10. I had never seen a man of many _____(才华) Ⅱ．完成句子(共 10 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 10 分) 1. Please _____________(靠近我坐). I have something important to tell you. 2. His school is _________________________________________(小镇东北大约两公里). 3. Ask him _______________________(停下来聊聊天). 4. We must face ________________________________(我们的食物快吃完了这一事实) 5._________________(在什么方向) the nearest hospital? 6. Smoking affects the_____(流动) of the blood to the brain. 7. _____(而不是)stay at the big city, he preferred to go to the countryside. 8. The people living in New York used to ________(定居) in Berlin. 9. Lily _______(有……天赋) music, so her parents sent him to a music college. 10. Much _________(有待要做),so I think we’ll be busy tonight. Ⅲ. 语法与词汇(共 10 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 10 分) 1. _______ I am concerned, we should be brave and we will reach the top of the hill at last_____ we try our best to climb the hill. A. So long as; as long as B. As far as; as longer as C. So long as; as far as D. As far as; as long as 2. The fact_____ China is the largest country in the world in population is very clear. A. that B. which C. / D. about which 3. Along with the letter was his promise _____ he would visit me this coming Christmas. A. Which B. that C. what D. whether 4. —It is 9:00. The store _____ closed. Why?
—Sorry, I don’t know. A. is remained B. remains C. was D. had 5. It was____ to the hospital to have his head examined by the doctor. A. not until 9 o’clock did he go B. until 9 o’clock that he didn’t go C. not until 9 o’clock that he went D. until 9 o’clock when he didn’t go 6. It’s too long for me, _____, it’s expensive. A. except B. besides C. except for D. beside 7. The question came up at the meeting ____ we had enough money for our research. A. that B. what C. which D. whether 8. I keep in touch with the friend_____ who stands ____ to me. A. close; closely B. closely; close C. close; close D. closely; closely 9. _____ she needs is to have a good rest. A. That B. What C. Whoever D. The things what 10. China is becoming stronger and stronger. It is no longer _____. A. what is used to be B. what it was used to being C. what it used to being D. what it was used to be Ⅳ. 完形填空 (共 20 小题；每小题 2 分，满分 40 分) 阅读下面短文，掌握其大意，然后从 1—20 各题所给的四个选项(A、B、C 和 D)中，选 出最佳选项。 Many of the tourists on board had begun bargaining with the tradesmen, but I decided not to buy anything. I had no sooner got off the 1 than I was stopped by a man who wanted to 2 me a diamond ring. I had no 3 of buying one, but I could not deny the fact that I was 4 by the size of the diamonds. Some of them were as 5 as marbles (玻璃球). The man went to great lengths to 6 that the diamonds were real. As 7 walked past a shop, he held a diamond 8 against the window and made a deep impression in the 9 . It took me over half an hour to get rid of him. The next man to 10 me was selling expensive pens and watches. I 11 one of the pens closely. It certainly looked 12 . At the base of the gold cap, the words “made in the USA” had been clearly 13 . The man said that the pen was worth ￡50, but as a special 14 , he would let me have it for ￡30. I 15 my head and held up five fingers indicating that I was willing to pay ￡5. Gesturing wildly, the man acted as if he found my 16 shocking, but he eventually 17 the price to ￡10. Shrugging my shoulders, I began to walk away. A moment later, he ran after me and 18 the pen into my hands. Though he kept throwing up his arms in despair, he 19 accepted the ￡5 I gave him. I felt especially pleased with my wonderful 20 — until I got back to the ship. No matter how hard I tried, it was impossible to fill this beautiful pen with ink！ 1. A. ship B. train C. plane D. bus 2. A. show B. sell C. buy D. give 3. A. money B. hobby C. experience D. intention 4. A. ashamed B. impressed C. moved D. cheated 5. A. colorful B. big C. heavy D. small 6. A. prove B. explain C. instruct D. perform 7. A. they B. he C. we D. people
8. A. sharply B. quickly C. slowly D. forcefully 9. A. assistant B. shop C. glass D. door 10. A. approach B. call C. find D. look 11. A. checked B. examined C. noticed D. watched 12. A. expensive B. valuable C. natural D. real 13. A. marked B. signed C. found D. recognized 14. A. feeling B. favor C. reason D. present 15. A. shook B. nodded C. held D. touched 16. A. decision B. answer C. offer D. solution 17. A. reduced B. gave C. suggested D. had 18. A. threw B. snatched C. brought D. forced 19. A. angrily B. disappointedly C. readily D. clearly 20. A. experience B. bargain C. advice D. balance Ⅴ. 阅读理解(共 8 题；每小题 2 分，满分 16 分) A Richard Gray was a famous explorer. He was also a millionaire. He had visited every country in the world. He had crossed the Antarctic, flown across the Atlantic by balloon, and climbed Mount Everest. Last year he decided to walk across Death Valley, the hottest place on Earth. He walked for days over the hot desert sand. One night he found the camp where he had been the night before. Gray had walked in a circle. He was lost. Two days later he had drunk all his water. He couldn’t walk. He crawled to the top of a sand dune, and there he saw a man. The man was wearing smart, clean trousers, a white shirt and a tie. Gray crawled over to him. “Water…water…” he said. “I’m terribly sorry, old boy,” replied the man, “but I haven’t got any water with me.” “Help me!” shouted Gary, “I’m a rich man…a millionaire…I’ll give you anything.” “That’s very nice of you, old boy,” said the man. “Look, I can’t give you any water, but would you like to buy my tie?” “A tie ? Of course not!” screamed Gray, and crawled away. He crawled slowly up the next sand dune. His mouth was full of sand. His lips were cracked and dry. He couldn’t breathe. He reached the top of the dune and there he saw a huge good hotel. Girls were swimming in the large swimming pool. Beautiful fountains were all around the hotel. “Is it a mirage?” he thought. “Am I dying?” He stood up and staggered down the dune. A waiter in a shining white uniform came out of the door. “Water…water… a bath! Food!” screamed Gray. “I’m sorry, you can’t come into this hotel.” Said the waiter. “Why not” I’ve got plenty of money…I’m a millionaire.” “Ah”, replied the waiter,” but you aren’t wearing a tie!” 1. The famous explorer______ A. had crossed the Antarctic and the Atlantic by balloon B. had traveled all over the world C. had walked across Death Valley D. had ever been a millionaire 2. Death Valley is_____ A. a valley where people may die from loss of B a dead place where people dare not go
C. a terribly hot valley where people may die of heat D. a place’s name 3. The man offered to sell his tie to Gray because______ A. he wished to get some money from Gray B. Gray was a rich man C. he didn’t have any water with him D. he thought a millionaire needed to wear a tie 4. If Gray_____, he would have got some water to drink in the hotel. A. had got a lot of money with him B. had put on his tie at once C. had said he was a famous millionaire D. had bought the tie from the man
B Yalong Bay Mangrove Tree Resort, Sanya
Yalong Bay National Resort District, Sanya, China, 572000 Location: located in Yalong Bay.30 minutes drive from the Sanya Phoenix International Airport; 18 minutes from the city center; 150 minutes from Boao city. Surrounding: Yalong Bay Hotel Accept: Master, Visa, AMEX, Diners Club, JCB Average (CNY/ USD) 1488/ 220 1588/ 235 1788/ 265
Room Type Garden-view Room Lake-view Room Sea-view Room
Period Jul. 1, 2008 - Aug. 23, 2008 Jul. 1, 2008 - Aug. 23, 2008 Jul. 1, 2008 - Aug. 23, 2008
Pay at the hotel The hotel requires you pay all your reservation charge directly at hotel reception by credit card or cash when you check out.
? ? ? ? ?
The room is priced on per room/night at Chinese Yuan (CNY). The room price includes 15% service charge, but excludes any other sort of tax. The hotel only keeps the reservation available till 18:00 if there is no payment or credit card guaranteed on the bookings. The hotel check-in time is 14:00 and check-out time is 12:00. Early check-in and late check-out are subject to room availability. The hotel might request half day up to a full day room rate for early check-in and late check out. You need to pay an amount of deposit for your room(s) and the other personal charges may consume during your stay at time of check-in. The required deposit is different at sum from a hotel to a hotel. For the hotel reservation of 8 rooms or more, please submit your group booking request. Rooms 24 hours room service Daily local newspaper in room Computer rental Air-conditioning
? ? ? ? ?
Satellite TV IDD/DDD Hair-dryer Internet access Mini-bar 5. Which city do you think the hotel lies in? A. Yalong B. Sanya C. Boao D. Haikou 6. If you check in at 10:00am. and check out at 17:00am. of the next day, you’ll __________. A. need to pay extra room rate B. have to wait till 14:00 to check in C. pay the exact amount of deposit for your room D. pay when checking out 7. If you want to celebrate the Spring Festival in a room facing the sea, you should pay ________. A. 1488 CNY B. 1588CNY C. 1788CNY D. an unknown mount 8. The information can probably be found in the following except ___________. A. a website B. a newspaper C. a travel booklet D. a dictionary Ⅵ. 阅读表达 (共 5 小题；满分 14 分) Here are some basics about the Panama Canal. It cuts through Panama to join the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Work on it started in 1904. The first ship sailed through on August 15, 1914. The canal is 50.72 miles long. From ocean to ocean, travel time is about eight hours. What makes the canal so important is this. Ships don’t have to sail around the tip of South America. For example, consider a ship sailing from New York City to San Francisco. Sailing around South America is 13,000 miles. Going through the canal is about 5,200miles less. About 40 ships pass through the canal in a day. All ships, including warships, must pay a toll. The toll ______________________. For example, the U.S.S. New Jersey paid $28,838. The German ship Hamburg paid $40,936l. Warships are allowed to use the canal, but only in peacetime. What was the greatest problem in building the canal? The answer: disease. The Canal Zone was one of the most disease-ridden areas in the world. In 1904, Colonel William Gorgas was put in charge of improving health conditions. He was a doctor. He had already gained fame by wiping out yellow fever in Cuba. His first two years were devoted to sanitation. Swamps were drained. Brush was cleared. Tall and short grasses were cut. By 1906, Gorgas had wiped out yellow fever. He eliminated the rats that carried bubonic plague. He did not completely wipe out malaria. But he greatly reduced its rate. So it is fair to say this . The canal engineers were great. But the project would never have been completed without William Gorgas. 1. What is the best title of the passage? (Answer within 10 words)(2 分) __________________________________________________________________________ 2. Which sentence in the passage can be replaced by the following one?(3 分) When ships sail through the Panama Canal, the owner of the ship must pay some money to use it. _________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ 3. Fill in the blank with proper word to complete the sentence. (Answer within 10 words)(3 分) ____________________________________________________________________________ 4. Who is more important in building the Panama Canal, the canal engineers or the doctor William
Gorgas? Why? (3 分) _____________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________ 5. Translate the underlined sentence in the last paragraph into Chinese. (3 分) _____________________________________________________________________________