人教课标 高二 必修 5 Unit 4
Look at the sentences in
our textbook, and find out what inversion is.
Look at the sentences in our textbook, and find o
ut what inversion is.
1. Never will Zhou Yang forget his assignment at 在英语中，主语和谓语的语 the office of a popular English newspaper. Zhou Yang will forget 序通常是主语在前，谓语在 2. Only后。但有时谓语的全部或者 if you ask many different questions will you
acquire all the information you need to know. 一部分（通常是助动词或情
you will acquire 态动词）却提到主语的前面， 3. Not only am I interested in photography, but I 这种语序叫做“倒装”。 took a course at university to update my skills. I am interested
Other examples to review the definition of inversion
1. Only at a stadium in Beijing you will see so many seats. will you
2. Seldom I have seen a situation which made me so angry. have I 3. Never he has given a present to me though he gave a lot to his friends. has he
4. Not only she is good at languages, but also at history and geography. is she 5. Only after you have acquired the skills you need, you will be able to write a good report. will you 6. Never before I have read such an exciting report. have I
Two kinds of inversion:
full inversion & partial inversion
1. A little girl stood in the rain.
In the rain stood a little girl.
2. The boy went away.
Away went the boy.
3. Your dog runs here.
Here runs your dog.
4. A picture hangs on the wall.
On the wall hangs a picture.
1. In the rain stood a little girl. 2. Away went the boy. 3. Here runs your dog. 4. On the wall hangs a picture.
全部倒装：把谓语全部提到主语之前, 即…… + 谓语 + 主语
Sentence patterns about full inversion
1. 用于 there be 句型
There are many students in the classroom.
主语位于谓 语 are 之后
1. There be 结构。在此结构中可以用 exist, lie, live, stand 等代替 be。 e.g. There stood a dog before him. ________ a beautiful palace ____ the foot of the hill. A. There stand; at B. There stands; under C. Stands there; under D. There stands; at
2. 在以here, there, now, then等副词开头的句 子里, 谓语动词常为be, come, go等。 e.g. Here comes the old lady! Then followed another shot of gun.
Translation Now comes your turn 现在轮到你了。 ____________________.
3. 表示方向的副词 out, in, up, down, away, off 等置于句首，要用全部倒装。
Off went the car.
The door opened and in came Mrs. Smith.
The door opened and in came Mr. White. The door opened and in she came. 如果主语是 Here comes the car. 人称代词 Here it comes. 则不用倒装。 On hearing the shot, away flew the bird. On hearing the shot, away it flew.
Choose the best answer.
1. There ________. And here ______. A. goes the phone; she comes B. is the phone going; is she C. does the phone go; does she come D. the phone goes; come she
4. 当表示地点的副词(如inside，outside等)、 介词词组(如on the wall, west of the house等) 在句首时。 e.g. East of the lake lie two towns. Inside was an exhibition of the most upto-date inventions of the 31st century. Near the church _________ cottage. A. was such an old B. had a so old C. was such old a D. is so an old
5. 直接引语的一部分或全部放在句首时， 有时也用倒装。 “What does it mean?”
asked the boy.
但 “What do you
want?” he asked.
谓语 1. 全部倒装的结构：把 ____ 全部提到主语 主语 之前, 即…… + 谓语 + _____。 2. 全部倒装可应用于：
* ______ be 结构。在此结构中可以用 There __
exist, lie, live, stand等代替be。
then ? 在以here, _____, now, ____ 等副词开头的 there 句子里, 谓语动词常为 be, come, go 等。
? 表示方向的副词 ___, in, up, ______, away, out down off 等置于句首。 ? 当表示 地点 ____的副词, 介词词组在句首时。 直接引语 ? _________的一部分或全部放在句首时。
1. I shall never do this again. Never shall I do this again. 2. You can say “no” to the order at no time. At no time can you say “no” to the order. 3. You will learn English well only in this way. Only in this way will you learn English well. 4. The problem is so easy that I can work it out. So easy is the problem that I can work it out.
Never shall I do this again. At no time can you say “no” to the order. Only in this way will you learn English well. So easy is the problem that I can work it out.
把助动词, 情态动词, 系动词放在主语之前， 即: 助动词/情态动词/系动词 +主语 + 谓语 剩下的部分。
Sentence patterns about partial inversion
1. 用于疑问句 Do you speak English? What do I need to take with me?
Have you had your temperature taken?
状语 2. Only + _____ (副词, 介词短语或从句) 放 在句首时。 Only when you listen to me attentively can you understand what I am saying. Only then did he realize his mistakes. Only in this way can you learn math well.
3. 含有否定意义的副词或连词，如 never, hardly, seldom, little, at no time, not until, no/not, rarely 等放在句首时。 a. I did not make a single mistake. Not a single mistake did I make. b. We have never seen such a sight before. Never before have we seen such a sight. c. He seldom goes to school late. Seldom does he go to school late.
Hardly/scarcely … when …, 1. He cares little about what … No sooner … than others think. Little ___________ about what others think. does he care 刚……就…… 2. I had no sooner set off than it began to rain. No sooner ___________ than it began to rain. had I set off 3. I had hardly reached the bus stop when the bus started. Hardly had I reached ____________the bus stop when the bus started.
1. Not only __________ not be afraid of difficulties, but also ________ try our best to overcome them. A. we should, we should B. we should, should we C. should we, we should D. should we, should we
4. 在so/such … that结构中, so或such引导的 部分放在句首时。
He spoke so loudly that even people in the next room could hear him. So loudly did he speak that even people in the next room could hear him.
4. 在so / such … that结构中, so或such引导的 部分放在句首时。
Such a noble person is he that people all respect him.
5. if 虚拟条件句的谓语动词中含有were, had, should时, 省去if, 把were, had, should提到 主语前时。 If Mark had invited me, I would have been glad to come. Had Mark invited me, I would have been glad to come. If I were you, I would try my best. Were I you, I would try my best.
6. 用于 so, nor, neither 开头的句子, 表示重 复的内容。 He has been to Beijing. So have I. Jack can not answer the question. Neither / Nor can I. — John won the first prize in the contest. — So he did.
Special sentence patterns about inversion
1. “分词/代词/形容词 + be + 主语”结构。 Gone are the days when teachers were looked down upon. Such was the story he told me. Present at the meeting were many arts. 为了保持句子结构平 衡, 避免头重脚轻。
2. as (虽然)引导的让步状语从句必须用倒装 结构，将表语、状语或动词原形提到as前 面。
Tired as I was, I tried to help them. Try as he would, he couldn’t open the door. Hard as I study, I can not catch up with him. 提前的名词前 Boy as he was, he behaved like a girl. 要省去冠词
May you succeed!
Long live the People’s Republic of China.
How heavily it rained!
What an interesting talk they had!
Rewrite the following sentences using inversion. 1. I shall not give her a gift until her birthday. her birthday shall I give her a gift Not until _____________________________. 2. I realized what trouble he was in only when he told me. Only when __________________________ he told me did I realize what ________________. trouble he was in
3. If I had been informed earlier, I could have done something. Had I been informed earlier, I could have done something. 4. The teacher said, “He is a clever boy.” “He is a clever boy, ” said the teacher. 5. A horse was in the distance. In the distance was a horse.
Translate the following sentences using inversion. 1. 飞机飞下来了。 flies ___ plane Down ____ the _____. 2. 虽然他年轻，他很勇敢。 ______ as he ___, he is very brave. Young __ is 3. 我哪也没看过比这更好的表演。 _____ _____ I ____ a better performance. Never have seen
4. 他们那么吵我都无法专心工作。 ___ _____ _____ ____ they make that I So much noise did couldn’t be absorbed in the work. 5. 这就是结果。 _____ ___ the results. Such are
1. Only then did he became aware of the
dangers of the jungle. 2. Seldom do I have seen a situation (情况) which
made me so angry. 3. Little did we realized the dangers that were awaiting us. 4. Not only does she be good at languages, but also at history and geography. 5. So much work have we to do that we have no time to relax.
6. Not only did they took care of me, but (they)
also treated me as if I were …daughter.
7. Not until does she return home he will go to bed. 8. No sooner did I have entered home than
the bell rang.
9. Hardly did I have entered home when the bell