Unit 1 Festivals around the world
1. take place
In the past few years , great changes have taken place in our school.
The 2008 Olympic Games t
ook place in Beijing.
辨析: take place, happen, break out ,occur vi
1) take place 指事先计划安排好的 (例句略)。 2)happen 意外,偶然或碰巧,常用于 happen to do something 碰巧做某事 It happened/happens that +句子 碰巧---他碰巧没有读过那部小说。 He happened not to have read the novel. It happened that he had read the novel. 3) break out 仅用于负面场合, 常用于灾难, 战争,疾病 等的发生。 A fire / war broke out.
4)occur 既可指某事偶然发生, 也指某事按计划发生,可与
happen互换，也有‘想起 ” 之意。
常用于；sth occurs to sb It occurs / occurred to sb that….. 某人突然想起某事 A good idea occurred to him. 他突然想起一个好主意。
It occurs to me that Tom has never been abroad before. 我突然想起Tom以前从来没有出过国。
It occurred to me that I had met him somewhere. 我突然想起在什么地方见过他。
2. beauty n. 美；美人
beautiful adj. 美丽的
beautify v. 美化
3. harvest n/v 收获，收割 The farmer hired extra workers for the harvest. a good harvest 丰收 harvester 收割机/人 We will harvest the fruit in autumn.
4. 1) celebrate v.庆祝.宾语是（节日,胜利,成功） We held a party to celebrate our success. celebration n. 2) congratulate v. 祝贺.宾语是sb congratulate sb. on/upon (doing ) sth. 祝贺某人某事 Congratulate him on passing the exam. congratulations n. 表“祝贺”时常用复数 congratulations (to sb) on/upon (doing ) sth. 祝贺某人某事 Congratulations (to you) on your success. 祝你成功
1) 挨饿; 饿死
Millions of people starved to death during the war.
2) 渴望获得某事物be starved of & starve for
The homeless children were starved of love . 3)starvation n. [U] 饿死 die of starvation
6. origin n. 起源，由来，起因
What was the origin of the accident? original adj. 最初的,原始的
7. religious adj.
1）宗教上的，信奉宗教的 Most western people have religious beliefs. 2) 虔诚的 She is a very religious person. religion n.宗教
8. in memory of 纪念；追念 The museum was built in memory of the famous scientist. 拓展： 1）in honor of 为纪念---；为了向---表示敬意 2）in praise of 赞扬，歌颂 3）in search of 寻找 4）in need of 需要 5）in favour of 支持，赞同 6）in charge of 负责，掌管 7）in terms of 就---而言
1)信任; 信心 [U] I have strong belief in my future. 2) 信仰[C]
religious beliefs 宗教信仰 3）词组 beyond belief 难以置信
10. dress up 盛装，打扮 You should dress up when you take part in the party. dress 给…穿衣服 dress sb./oneself
Wake up children and dress them. Hurry up and get dressed. （动态） The girl was dressed in red. （静态）
11. play a trick/tricks on…
搞恶作剧；诈骗；开玩笑 The naughty boy loves playing tricks on others.
12. poet n.诗人; poem n.诗 Li Bai is a great poet who wrote many famous poems.
1）到达，到来 On our arrival at the farm, we were welcomed by the farmers.
2) 到达者 They went out to welcome the new arrivals.
14. gain v.
1） 获得 He gained full marks in the exam.
2) 赢得 The scientist gained the respect of his students. No pains, no gains. 不劳无获
15. independence n.独立，自主
India gained independence from Britain in 1947.
depend v. It / That (all) depends “视情况而定” dependent adj. independent adj. 独立的，自主的
—How long are you staying? —I don’t know. ___. A. That’s OK B. Never mind C. It depends D. It doesn’t matter
depend on 或 be dependent on/upon 依靠
1）搜集 The writer is gathering materials for his works. 2)集合 The teacher gathered the students around her. 3) 聚集 The clouds are gathering. 【辨析】 collect 指精心，有选择地收集。 Many people like collect stamps.
1）v.授予，判定 They awarded him the title of Hero. Einstein was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics. The referee awarded a free kick. 裁判员判定罚一个任意球.
2） n. 奖，奖品 She got the first award in the English contest. The award for the year’s best actress was a young woman.
辨析: award 和reward 1）award 后接双宾语:奖赏某人某物 award sb. sth. =award sth to sb.
They awarded her the Nobel Prize. 他们授予他诺贝尔奖。
2）reward 奖赏, 给……报酬, 不能接双宾语; reward sb. for sth. 因 ……奖赏某人； reward sb. with sth. 用某物酬劳某人 She rewarded herself with a cup of coffee after a whole morning’s hard work. He rewarded her with money for her heroic deeds. 他为她的英雄行为而给她奖金。
1) v 生产 The factory produces 1,000 cars a week. 2）n 产品,尤指农产品 The shop sells only fresh local produce. product 产品； production 产量 productive 多产的，生产的 a productive writer
admire sb. for sth.在某方面钦佩某人
We all admire him for his courage and bravery.
2) 欣赏 I admire your poems very much . 3) 赞美 He admired her new dress. admiration n.
20. look forward to (doing) sth. 期待着(做)某事
Children are looking forward to Spring Festival. He’s looking forward to hearing from his pen pal.
21. clothing 服装（总称，除衣裤还包括鞋帽） an article of clothing 一件衣服 辨析: cloth, clothes, clothing 1)cloth 指做衣服等用的材料, 如布料, 毛料, 丝绸等, 不可数。“一块布料”是 a piece of cloth. 注意: cloth 指具体用途的布时, 可与冠词连用。 a table cloth 一块桌布 a dish cloth 一块擦碗布
2) clothes 指具体的衣服, 包括上衣, 裤子等, 不能 与不定冠词或数词连用, 但可与物主代词, 指示 代词。作主语时, 谓语用复数形式。 He wears fine clothes. 他穿着很讲究。 3) clothing 是衣服, 服装的总称, 是集合名词。 作主语时候, 谓语动词用单数形式。如果要表示 “一件衣服”时, 可以说an article of clothing 或a piece of clothing, 但不能用 a suit of clothing 那家商店卖童装。 The shop sells children's clothing.
22. as though=as if引导方式状语从句和表语从 句, 其从句谓语常用虚拟语气。 1) 引导方式状语从句 She acted as though nothing had happened． 她装得好像什么事也没发生过似的。
2) 引导表语从句(情况真实不虚,情况假的虚) It looks as if it’s going to rain． The child talks as if she were an adult. He talked as if he had known everything.
23. have fun (with sb) (与某人)玩得开心 We had fun with each other on that day. fun为不可数名词, 没有复数, 也不能加a. make fun of 取笑?? for fun 开玩笑地,为了玩 read for fun
adj. funny 有趣的
1)风俗习惯 The celebration of the Spring Festival is a custom for Chinese. It is the custom for the Japanese to take off their shoes when they get into a hall.
the Customs 海关 2)Habit侧重个人习惯
25. Permission n.允许，许可
permit sb. to do sth. I asked for his permission to use the car. You have my permission to leave.
26. turn up. 1) 出席(某活动), 出现 We planned to meet at 7:00, but he didn’t turn up. 2) 把(收音机等)音量开大一些 Turn up the radio a little, I can hardly hear the program. The teacher turned down the students’ proposal. 拒绝 I thought it would rain the next day, but it turned out to be a sunny day.结果是?? turn off 关掉 turn on 打开 turn to sb. for help 向某人求助
31. keep one’s word 守信，履行诺言
break one’s word 失信 Don’t break your word, otherwise, no one will trust you. word 此处为诺言为不可数名词 消息 Word came that he had succeeded.
32. hold one’s breath
= stop breathing for a time 屏住呼吸 The girl held her breath at the sight of the snake. All Americans held their breath to see who would
win the election. take breath 歇会儿 get one’s breath 喘过气来 be out of breath 喘不过气来
33. apologize 道歉 say sorry apologize to sb for (doing) sth You must apologize to the teacher for being so rude. apology n. 表达道歉 接受道歉
make / offer an apology accept an apology refuse an apology
34. drown (drowned, drowned) v. 1)淹死 Don’t play by the river in case you fall and drown. There was a drowning man .(快要淹死的） drowned 已经淹死的 2) 浸, 泡
The floods drowned the streets and houses. 3) 淹没 The noise in the street drowned out her voice. 借?? 消愁 drown one’s sorrow/sadness in…
35. obvious adj. 明显的, 清楚的 His meaning is obvious. 1) be obvious + to + 表示人的名词或代词 Her disappointment was obvious to her friend. 2) It + be + obvious +that-clause It is obvious that you are wrong. Obviously, he is telling a lie.
1） 擦/抹某物 Wipe your hands with the handkerchief.
2)把…擦掉，抹掉 The girl wiped her tears away. 3）把…擦干 The students wiped the floor dry.
37. weep (wept, wept)
哭泣，流泪 Failing in the exam, the girl wept over/for her bad learning results.
38. set off
1)动身, 出发; Tom and his father set off for America yesterday. 2)使(地雷、炸弹)爆炸; The bomb set off among the crowd. 3)使某物更有吸引力
A woman’ s beauty is set off by her clothes and
set about doing sth. 着手(做某事)
set down 使某人开始工作
set somebody to do something. set somebody doing something
提醒, 使想起 remind sb. of sth. 使某人想起… remind sb. to do sth. 提醒某人做某事 remind sb. that 提醒… The photo reminds me of my mother. Remind me to take my books tomorrow. My teacher reminded me that I should finish my homework on time.
What you said just now ____ C me of that American professor. A. mentioned B. informed C. reminded D. memorized
40. forgive (forgave, forgiven) vt. 原谅, 饶恕 Please forgive me, I didn’t mean to hurt you. Please forgive me for being late. =please forgive my being late. forgiving adj. 宽仁的, 宽大的 forgiveness n. 宽恕 ask for forgiveness receive forgiveness