clouds n. 云
kick the football vt.
1. Subject (S) + verb (V)
主语 动词 S S V V
e.g. The tempera
ture drops. The birds are flying.
2. Subject + verb + Object (sth.) S + V + O 主语 动词 宾语(物)
e.g. Farmers harvest crops. S V O Lily is feeding a bird.
S V O
3. Subject + linking verb + Predicative S 主语 + V 系动词 + P 表语
e.g. Autumn leaves turn brown. S V P The birds look beautiful. S V P
sound, grow, go
linking verbs(系动词 ) + adjectives(形容词)
I. Millie is writing about the seasons.
Help her underline the verb in
each sentence and write down the
main structure of the sentences.
1. We have four seasons. S+V+O 2. They are quite different. S+V+P 3. Spring is warm and sunny. S+V+P 4. We fly kites. S+V+O
5. We like summer. S+V+ O 6. Ice cream tastes nice. S+V+P 7. Autumn arrives. S+V 8. Snow falls. S+V
4. Subject + verb +Indirect Object +Direct object S + V + IO + DO 主语 + 动词 + 间接宾语(人) + 直接宾语(物)
e.g. Hobo brought Eddie his clothes.
S S V IO IO DO DO
He gave me a book.
We can change the structure S+V+IO+DO with to.
e.g. Hobo gave Eddie some ice cream. Hobo gave some ice cream to Eddie. verbs can be used with to:
bring pass give pay hand lend offer post read sell send
show take teach tell write
We can change the structure S+V+IO+DO with for.
e.g. Hobo built Eddie a tent. Hobo built a tent for Eddie.
verbs can be used with for:
bring build buy cook find get
make order pick save
5. Subject + verb +Direct Object +object complement S + V + DO + OC 主语 + 动词 +直接宾语(物) +宾语补足语
e.g. Eddie is watching Hobo work.
S S V DO V OC DO OC
I saw him crossing the street.
We can add an adverbial to each of the above five main structures. We use an adverbial to show when, where or how an action is done.
e.g. Hobo built Eddie a tent with sticks at the beach yesterday.
how where when
Describe the main structures of the following sentences.
1. She laughed. (S + V)
2. He bought a T-shirt.
(S + V + DO + OC) (S + V + DO)
3. Jay named his dog Bobby.
4. She looks lovely.
(S + V + IO + DO)
(S + V + P)
5. He gave Mary a present.
6. The teacher is marking the tests.
(S + V + DO) 7. They thought John the best actor. (S + V + DO + OC) 8. I find the article interesting. (S + V + DO + OC)