Ⅰ.The General Idea of This Module? The tasks of Module 4 are about how to get to know and introduce some places. T
hrough oral practice, enable the students to introduce what they see and what they hear and describe them in writing.? INTRODUCTION? Learn and master some words and phrases about buildings and living places. In order to prepare for the activities later, the task is to get the students to understand the words and phrases.? READING AND VOCABULARY? Through the dialogue, the geography place of Xiamen is introduced, including its climate and a survey of the city of Xiamen. Enable the students to grasp the words and use them to describe their living places.? GRAMMAR 1? Learn how to use the perfect present tense: The actions happened in the past, but the effects or results still remain now.? LISTENING AND VOCABULARY? Practice using the words and phrases, train the students’ listening ability and test the results of listening.? GRAMMAR 2? The importance of Grammar 2 is about the differences between continuous verbs and discontinuous verbs and how to use them in the Present Perfect Tense. First make sure the students clear what is a continuous verb and what is not a continuous verb. Fox example, He has come here. He has been here for two hours. Here “come” is not a continuous verb. But “be” is a continuous verb. ? PRONUNCIATION? This part is to improve the students’ pronunciation. Stress is important in speaking ?English. The students should master Parts of Speech. Generally speaking, the National Parts have stress in a sentence. But the Structural Parts don’t have.? WRITING? Through observing and writing, make sure that the students can use the words and and but.? EVERYDAY ENGLISH? In the part the students practice using seven pieces of everyday English. During teaching, practice using them in conscious or unconscious.? FUNCTION AND SPEAKING? The students should learn and master how to ?introduce? directions and places in English in this part.? CULTURAL CORNER? Increase the students’ interests to know something about the life in western countries.? TASKS?
Through the practice of ?dialogue? and reading, the students should be able to master some useful words and expressions about ?describing? buildings and surroundings. In order to cultivate the students’ ability of collecting and dealing with information, and develop their abilities in getting new information, communication and cooperation, the tasks are about a survey of their living situation and they are also asked to write a report in English.??? Ⅱ.Three－Dimensional Goals? 1. Knowledge and Skills: ? 2. Through introducing some places, develop the students’ abilities to take active part in different activities. Train the ability of collecting and dealing with information, and develop their abilities of getting new information, communication and cooperation.? 3. Process and Methods? First lead the students to make dialogues about different buildings and facilities. Then ask the students to survey their living places and write down what they see and hear to improve the students’ speaking and writing abilities.?? 4. Emotion, Attitude and Value in Teaching?? Let students know the society, develop the students to care for the people around them and the society. Cultivate their ability of studying and solving questions.?? Ⅲ.Teaching Important Points? In this module, through practicing listening, speaking and reading, the students will be able to get to know and introduce some places. Educate the students’ cultural awareness and enable them to love our hometown and our homeland. ?? Ⅳ.Teaching Difficult Points? How to teach the Present Perfect Tense during teaching process.?? Ⅴ.Teaching Aids? multimedia, a TV set or a recorder?? Ⅵ.Teaching Time? Seven periods? The First Period: Introduction: Vocabulary and Speaking? The Second and Third Period: Reading and Vocabulary? The Fourth Period: Grammar 1, Listening and Vocabulary? The Fifth Period: Pronunciation, Grammar 2 and Writing? The Sixth Period: Everyday English, Function and Speaking? The Seventh Period: Cultural Corner, Task and Module and Workbook Exercises? The First Period? The General Idea of This Period? The students will be able to learn some new words and phrases. And try to use them to describe buildings.? Teaching Aims? 1. The students will be able to learn and master the following words and phrases: ? flat apartment block countryside five-storey high-rise building local mile floor suburb stone survey be similar to? live with sb. / sth
neighbourhood 2. Improve the students’ speaking’ ability.? 3. Learn to describe some buildings and places.? Teaching Important Points? 1. Master the new words and phrases.? 2. How to use “and” and “but”.? 3. Enable the students to write a brief report of their neighbourhood. ? Teaching Difficult Points? 1. How to use “and” and “but”.? 2. How to improve the students’ writing ability.? Teaching Methods? 1. Asking and answering activity to help the students go through the reading materials.? 2. Individual, pair or group work to make every student work in class.? Teaching Procedures? ? Step 1 Greetings and lead in? T: Good morning, boys and girls.? S: Good morning, teacher.? T: Sit down please. Boys and girls, let’s see two pictures.(Show the pictures)? T: Please tell me something about the pictures? S: One is about the buildings in cities. The other is the countryside.? T: Yeah. Which one is more beautiful? Why? S: I think the right one is. It is modern.? T: How many floors do you guess the big one has? S: I guess it’s about 80.? T: Do you agree? S: No. I think it’s about 30.? T: If possible, which floor do you want to live in? S: The top one.? T: The top one? Why? S: Live there, I can see the whole city.? T: Try. I think you can one day.? ? Step 2 Presentation? Now let’s look at these words.(Show)? 1. Get one to read the words. Check his or her pronunciation and stress.? 2. Get the students to pay attention to the new words.? (1) survey ?n?.? The group made a survey of the life in the countryside.? The experts made a survey of the site of the prospective steel works.? The report gives a survey of growth of the chemical industry.? The market __________shows the new products have good potential if they are well developed. ? A. made B. support? C. survey D. examine ?
答案:C。 句意:市场调查表明这产品如果开发得好有着很大的潜力。 survey 调查， 勘察， 检验? (2) neighbourhood (neighbour + hood) The houses in that neighbourhood are expensive.?? The entire neighbourhood knows of it.? a poor neighbourhood? a neighbourhood ?unit?? (3)suburb ?n?.［C］(常用?pl?.) 市郊，郊区? in the suburbs of Benjing 北京郊区? live in the suburbs of Beijing 住在北京郊区? (4)local 当地的，地方的，局部的? We have a local newspaper in our city.? local government 当地政府? a local disease 局部疾患? a local doctor 本地大夫? a local time 当地时间? 3. Practice.? T: Which words do you use to describe buildings? (Ask the students work in pairs and check the answer with the whole class.)? ? Step 3 Practice ? T: Now let’s look at the pictures in your books. Who is he/she? Where does he/she live? Which one is more similar to you? Get the students to read the short passage. After a few minutes, ask some of them to answer? the questions. And then give them 3 minutes to discuss school. Ask three or four to report their answers. (Our school is new, large and beautiful. It lies in the southwest of our city. There are more than 10 buildings. The tallest one is eight floors. We study in the third teaching buildings. Our classroom is on the third floor. There are over six thousand students.? T: Good. Pay attention to: 1. be similar to? We have similar taste in music. ? Gold is similar in color to brass.? 2. live with sb. /sth.? live with sb. :live together? He lives with his mother.? live with sth.: accept or tolerate sth.? You’ll have to live with it, I’m afraid. ? ? Step 4 Speaking ? Next please work in groups of four. Introduce your homes to your classmates.? T: Li Li, please.? L: I introduce my own home. My home is in the town. I live in Xincun District. I have a big ?apartment on the forth floor of a seven floor apartment block.? T: Very good. Zhong Qing, please.? Z: Oh, I live in the countryside. But my home is also beautiful and comfortable.
I live with my grandpa, grandma, my parents and sister. I have a small room. In my room I can do what I want to.? ? Step 5 Writing? T: Excellent. Please open your books. Look at Task 3.Write 3 or 4 sentences describing your home.(Then get more students to report their answers. Next get the students to work in pairs, compare their homes.) ? ? Step 6 Homework? Write a short passage about your neighbourhood? ? Step 7 The Design of the Writing on the Blackboard? Module 4 A Social ?Survey－My? Neighbourhood? The First Period? Words: survey，neighbourhood，suburb，local? Words and expressions? be similar to, live with something/somebody? ? Step 8 Activity and Inquiry? Learn new words.? Steps 1 2 3 4 Students’ Acting Look and listen. Guess the words. Make sentences. Write a short passage. Teacher’s Organizing Show pictures and describe. Write down the words. Circulate. Guide.
Exercises for Outside Class: ? 1. Our school is one with_________ long history but _________ area of about 400 mu.? A. the; a B. a; the? C. a; an D. an; a? 解析:“有着多长的历史，有多大面积”习惯在其前加 a。a history of.../an area of.../a population...with a long ?history。?答案为 C。? 2. All the preparations for the task __________,and we’re really to start.? A. completed B. complete? C. has been completed D. have been completed 解析:根据句子结构看，空白处应填谓语动词，all the preparations 与 complete 之 间为被动关系。 答案应为 D。? 3. Great changes_________ in the city, and a lot of factories__________ .? A. have been taken place; have been set up ? B. have taken place; have been set up ? C. have taken place; have set up ? D. were taken place; were set up? 解析:take place （发生） 是不及物动词，不用于被动语态， 故排除 A、 D。又 set up(建 造)是及物动词，在此题中应用被动式，排除 C，答案为 B。?
The Second Period?
The General Idea of This Period? Introduce the city of Xiamen. The students will get to know where it is located. What about the climate and some other information.? Teaching Aims? 1. Learn and master the following words and expressions: ? hometown, attractive, lively, seem, fortunate, pretty, a lot of tourist around, brother, nuisance, business district, put up, shopping malls, approach the harbor, gorgeous, architecture, starve, apartment block? 2. Train the students’ reading ability.? 3. The students will be able to know something about the city of Xiamen.? Teaching Important Points? 1. Learn to use some useful expressions: ? I’m so glad you could come.? What’s the climate like? That sounds great.? 2. Train the students’ reading ability.? Teaching Difficult Point? How to help the students understand the text.? Teaching Methods? 1. Fast reading to get a general idea of the text.? 2. Asking-and-Answering to help the students understand the text.? 3. Pair or group work to make every student work in class.? Teaching Aids? 1. the multimedia? 2. the blackboard? Teaching Procedures? ? Step 1 Greetings ? Greet the whole class as usual.? ? Step 2 Revision? Ask the students some questions. Then show the following questions and get the students to work in pairs.? 1. How big is your house? 2. Where is your house located? 3. Is it close to your school? 4. Is it close to your parents’ places of work? 5. Do you like the neighbourhood? 6. Do you have good neighbors? 7. Are there parks or other public facilities nearby? 8. Is there good public transportation? 9. Are their markets and shops nearby? Ask several pairs to report their ?answers?.? Suggested answers: ?
1. My house is very big. It’s about more than 140 square metres. There is a big drawing room, a dinning room, a study and three sitting rooms.? 2. My house is located in the downtown of the city.? 3. Yes, it is.? 4. It’s near to my mother’s work place but my father’s is very far.? 5. Yes, I like it very much. It’s clean and beautiful.? 6. Yes. They are very kind and friendly. They often help each other.? 7. Yes. There are gyms, beautiful parks and some other facilities.? 8. Yes, it’s convenient.? 9. Yes. There are many supermakets nearby.? ? Step 3 Presentation? T: Today we are going to learn a dialogue between Xiao Li and John Martin.? First let’s learn some new words. (Show the words on the screen give the students a brief introduction, and then let Ss read them after the tape.)? hometown, attractive, lively, seem, fortunate, pretty, a lot of tourist around,? brother, nuisance, business district, put up, shopping malls, approach the harbor, gorgeous, architecture, starve, apartment block, be made of (Then get the Ss to make sentences with the words or phrases. For example)? 1. hometown: Xuzhou is my hometown.? His hometown is Shanghai.? 2. attractive ?adj?. (attract ?v?. attraction ?n?.)? There are a lot of attractive places in this country.? 3. a lot of tourists around? In my hometown there are a lot of tourists around every day.? 4. be made of/from, be made into? 成品+be made of+材料（本质不变）? 成品+be made from+材料（本质变）? 材料+be made into+成品? e. g. Wine is made from grapes.? Grapes are made into wine.? The table is made of wood. ? T: Now let’s look at this picture.(Show the picture of Gulangyu Island. )? T: Is it beautiful? S: Yes.? T: Do you know where it is? S: Sorry.(...)? T: OK. Listen to the tape about the place and try to get as much information as possible ? about this place. you’ve to answer me some questions.? (Play the tape. After playing, ask the questions.)? T: Where is John Martin visiting? S: Xiao Li’s hometown.? T: Very good. Where does Xiao Li live? S: He lives in Xiamen.? T: Excellent! What are John and Xiao Li doing now?
S: They’re driving around the city in the car.? T: Good! Who can tell us which place they are going to visit next? S: Gulangyu Island. ? ? Step 4 Reading? T: OK. Now open your books. Look at the dialogue on Page 32.Please practise the dialogue in pairs.(After a while, Get the students to look at these statements. Say “true” or “false” according to the dialogue.) ? 1. John and Xiao Li haven’t seen each other for six years.（ ）? 2. John has never been to China before.（ ）? 3. Xiao Li enjoys living on the coast.（ ）? 4. There are very few tourists in the northwest of Xiamen.（ ）? 5. There are a lot of new high rise buildings in Gulangyu Island. （ ）? 6. There are some interesting buildings on Gulangyu Island. （ ）? ? Step 5 Practice? (Get the students to read the dialogue aloud. ?Then get the students to work in pairs. Close the textbooks and answer some questions.)? T: Please discuss the questions in pairs.? 1. What do you know about Xiamen? 2. Would you like to live in Xiamen? Why or why not? (After a while get several pairs to report their answers.)? S: What do you know about Xiamen? S: I know Xiamen is on the coast. It’s a beautiful city.? S: Would you like to live in Xiamen? S: Yes.? S: Why? S: Because I like water. I like sea. There are some great shopping malls. I can buy more beautiful dress. I can often go to Gulangyu Island. It’s a gorgeous island with some really interesting architecture.? T: Wonderful. Let’s look at these sentences. Discuss in groups of four.(Show)? I’m so glad you could come.? What’s the climate like? That sounds great.? (If necessary, give some explanation.)? Step 6 Homework? T: Today we have learned a dialogue about Xiamen. It’s very interesting. After class you should read the dialogue again and again. And remember the new words.? ? Step 7 The Design of the Writing on the Blackboard? Reading A Lively City 1.hometown Xuzhou is my hometown. His hometown is Shanghai. (扩展:homework homeland homesick homelike homemade) 2. attractive 3. A lot of tourists There are a lot of attractive places in this country. (扩展:attract ?v?. attraction? n?.) In my hometown there are a lot of tourists around every
day. The news got like a prairie fire.
Step Ⅷ Activity and Inquiry? Compare Xiamen with your hometown. For example: Xiamen Similarities Differences climate position climate My hometown It’s hot and wet in summer. It rains a lot in summer. Both are on the coast. In winter it is mid. But sometimes it can be very cold. It’s a big open city. There are a lot of tall buildings. There are many tourists around. It’s very cold in winter. Every year it snows a lot. We skate on real ice. It’s in There are it’s also Everywhere is fresh the countryside. few tourists. But beautiful. is clean. The air
The Third Period?
The General Idea of This Period? The students will discuss some sentences with Present Perfect tense. Then do some exercises according to the reading.? Teaching Aims? 1. Review the words appearing in the last two periods.? 2. Improve the students’ reading ability.? 3. The students will be able to learn the grammar: Present perfect tense.? Teaching Important Points? 1. Read the dialogue more carefully.? 2. Learn the following sentences: ? It’s been six years since we last saw each other.? I’ve seen quite a lot of China and I’ve visited some beautiful cities, but this is one of the most attractive places I’ve been to.? They’ve put up...? My wife’s just bought...and so on.? Teaching Difficult Point? How to help the Ss understand these sentences.? Teaching Methods? 1. Careful reading to get the detailed information.?? 2. Discussing some sentences and getting the students to know the grammar: Present ?perfect? tense.? Teaching Aids? 1. the multimedia? 2. the blackboard? Teaching Procedures?
? Step 1 Greetings? Greet the whole class as usual.? ? Step 2 Revision.? (Get the Ss to review some words in the Reading part. Show the following on the screen.)? Choose the correct answers according to the dialogue A Lively City.? 1.fortunate? ( )sad? ( )lucky? 2.pretty hot? ( )too hot? ( )very hot? 3.bother? ( )amuse you? ( )give you problems? 4.nuisanlle? ( )amusing you ( )causing problems? 5.shopping malls? ( )shopping center? ( )small shops? 6.gorgeous? ( )lovely? ( )boring? 7.starve? ( )very hungry? ( )excited? Suggested answers: ? 1. lucky 2.very hot 3.give you problems 4.causing problems 5.shopping center 6.lovely? 7. very hungry? T: Next please look at these words. Who can read them? (Show the words.)? architecture,area,climate,district,harbour,coast,hometown,island,park(?v.?), rent, tourist? T: Li Ming, please.? L: Yes.(Reading!)? (Check the pronunciation and stress with the whole class.) ? (Then show the following sentences. Get the Ss to complete them with the words in the box.)? 1. A lot of_________ visit Xiamen in the summer.? 2. The parks in the_________ district are very pretty.? 3. One of the nicest things about Xiamen is that it is on the_________.?
4. The _________for a modern apartment in Xiamen is usually very expensive.? 5. Which _________of the city does Xiao Li live in? 6 .If we _________the car over there, we can go for a walk along the harbour. Suggested answes: ? 1.tourists 2.harbour/western 3.coast?4.rent 5.district 6.park?? ? Step 3 Reading? (Get the students to read the dialogue again. After a while, show the sentences, get them to discuss.)? 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. is It’s been six years since we last saw each other.? They’ve just completed it.? They’ve put up a lot.? My wife’s just bought a beautiful dress.? I’ve seen quite a lot of China and I’ve visited some beautiful(cities),but this one of the most attractive places I’ve been to.
(Make sure that the students know how to use and and but and understand these sentences, especially the form of the Present perfect tense.)Then ask some good students to read the dialogue. Pay attention to the sentences’ stress.? ? Step 4 Practice? (Get the students to make short dialogue.)(Teacher goes to a better student.)? T: Let’s carry on a dialogue.? T: Hi, Miss Wang.? W: Hi, I’m glad to have the opportunity to meet you.? T: So I am.? W: When did you come here? T: Yesterday. I’m here to attend a meeting. And I want to go to the library. Can you show me the way? W: Oh. Follow this road and take the first right. Keep straight on, and you will find it in three minutes.? T: Thank you very much. Good-bye.? W: Bye-bye.? T: Very goos. Thank you for your cooperation. Now all of you carry on a dialogue like this. Are you clear about that? S: Yes.? T: OK. Begin, please.? (After a while, teacher asks some pairs to act out their dialogues.)? ? Step 5 Homework? T: Today we have learned some useful expressions. After class, read the dialogue, put the useful expressions into heart and preview the next part, Grammar! That’s all for today. Class is over. See you tomorrow.? S: See you tomorrow.? ? Step 6 The Design of the Writing on the Blackboard?
Module 4 A Social ?Survey－My? Neighbourhood? The Third Period? A Lively City? 1. has been...since... 2.have put up? 3.have just completed? 4.has just bought? 5....and. .., but...? 6.have been to? ? Step 7 Activity and Inquiry? In order to make the students know more about China and New Zealand. ? (The foreign teacher in our school comes from New Zealand. If they don’t know much about New Zealand, they can interview her. Get them to compare the climate in China with the climate in New Zealand and explain the differences.)? Suggested answers: ? New Zealand Similarities Difference China 1. It rains a lot in summer in both countries.? 2. They are both influenced by the Pacific vapor. 1. It has a mild sea climate.? 2. It has plenty of rainfalls all the year round. The climate is mild. It has a monsoon climate. In summer, it has plenty of rainfalls and the temperature is high, while in winter, it is very cold and dry. The difference is great. The hottest month is July, while the coldest month is January. It lies in the Northern Hemisphere and it’s a continental country. It is influenced by continental factors.
3. The difference in temperature is small. 4. The hottest month is February, while the coldest month is August. Reasons 1. It lies in the Southern Hemisphere, and it’s an island country.? 2. It is surrounded by the Pacific Ocean.
The Fourth Period?
The General Idea of This Period? Study the grammar: the Present Perfect Tense 1.Make sure the students know the differences between the Present Perfect Tense and the Past Tense. Do some listening and learn some new words.? Teaching Aims? 1. Enable the students to learn and master some new words.? 2. Improve the students’ reading ability.?
3. Study how to use the Present Perfect Tense.? Teaching Important Points? 1. Help the students to learn the Grammar: the Present Perfect Tense.? 2. Improve the students’ listening ability.? Teaching Difficult Points? 1. Help the students to learn the Grammar: the Present Perfect Tense.? 2. How to improve the students’ listening ability.? Teaching Methods? 1. Listening-and-answering? activity to help the students go through with the listening material.?? 2. Pair or group work to make every student work in class.? Teaching Aids? 1. a tape recorder? 2. a projector and some slides ? Teaching Procedures? ? Step 1 Greetings and Lead-in ? T: Good morning/afternoon, everyone.? S: Good morning/afternoon, teacher.? T: Sit down, please. Boys and girls, we have learned some new words and a dialogue. I think you have mastered the words and have read the dialogue for many times. What do I say? Who can repeat them? S: We can.(Repeat)? T: Who can tell me what tense I used in the sentences? S: I can. It is the Present Perfect Tense.? ? Step 2 Discussion and Practice? T: Right. Let’s look at these sentences.(Show them on the screen.)? 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. I’ve seen quite a lot of China. ? I’ve visited some beautiful cities.? They’ve just completed it.? They’ve put up a lot of high-rise buildings recently.? A friend’s told me about a nice little fish restaurant here.? It has been six years since we last saw each other, you know.?
(First get the students to discuss and compare these sentences. Then the ?teacher? discuss with them.)? T: Let’s look at the first sentence. Do we know when the speaker saw these places? S: No, we don’t.? T: Right. The second. Do we know when the speaker visited these cities? S: No, we don’t.? T: Good. The third one. Is this a recent event? S: Yes, it is.? T: The fourth. Did they do this a long time ago? S: No, they didn’t.? T: The fifth. Did this happen recently?
S: Yes, it did. ? T: Very good. The last one. When was the last time that the speaker saw his friend? S: 6 years ago.? T: Wonderful! Now we know when we can use the Present Perfect Tense.? (If necessary, give more examples and explanations.)?? Next let’s look at this exercise.? (Show the exercise.)? Complete these sentences with the words in the box use either the past simple tense or the present perfect tense.? built buy come get live see stay visit ? 1. They _________ many high-rise buildings in the city.? 2. The traffic in the city_________ much worse recently.? 3. When the tourists _________ in the summer, they _________ in the city center.? 4. Xiamen is one of the most attractive cities John_________.? 5. Xiao Li _________ in Xiamen all his life.? 6. John _________ (not) any presents yet but he _________ a shopping mall, where they will go ?tomorrow.?? (Ask the students to answer the questions, first individually, then compare their answers in pairs and check the answers with the whole class.)? Suggested answers: ? 1.have built 2.has got 3.came,stayed ?4.has visited? 5.has lived ?6.has?not bought, has seen? ? Step 3 Practice? T: Now please write down the names of five interesting places that you have been to. Work in pairs and tell each other about the places.? Possible answer: A: I have been to Shanghai, Tianjin, Dalian, Nanjing and Xuzhou.? B: When did you go to Dalian? A: I went there last year.? B: What was it like? A: It’s very beautiful. Have you been there? B: No, I haven’t.? ? Step 4 Listening? T: OK. We are going to have a listening. Look at these words. They are all in the listening passage that you will hear.? (Show the words.)? neighbourhood committee, organisation, join, club unemployed, survey, information, household population, occupation, professional, manual, worker (Get the student to read the new words. Learn and master them. Especially the pronunciation and syllable stress.)? T: What do you think the listening passage is about according to the words? S: Neighborhood club perhaps.? T: Good. Let’s listen to the tape, and check our answer.?
(Play the tape of Part 1.If necessary play it again.)? T: Now tell me. Were your predictions about the passage correct? I think, “The passage is about a neighbourhood group.” Do you agree? S: Yes.? T: Let’s begin Part 2.Please listen carefully and complete tasks in your books.? (Play the tape twice. Get the Ss to check their answers in pairs. Then check the ?answers? with the whole class.)? Answers: ? Total population:2800? Number of students: 280? Number of office workers: 517? Number of manual workers: 378? Number of adults in employment: 1400 (Go through the “Learning to learn” box with the students. Ask them to give one or two more examples of how listening to the radio can improve their listening.)? ? Step 5 Homework? T: This class we have leant some new words and do a listening about Neighbourhood committee. Especially the Present Perfect Tense. After class, practice the words and do the grammar Ex.2 and 3 in your workbooks. OK. That’s all for today. Class is over. See you tomorrow.? ? Step 6 The Design of the Writing on the Blackboard? Module 4 A Social Survey—My Neighbourhood? The Fourth Period? 1.committee:central~ standing~steering~neighbourhood~? 2. join the army/party/join in/take part in sth.? 3.unemployed:employ—employer—employee—employment—unemployment? 4.occupation:occupy—occupation—occupancy ? Step 7 Activity and Inquiry? Get the Ss to make a short dialogue using the Present Perfect Tense 1. Steps 1 2 3 Students’ Acting Get partner Work in pairs Report Teacher’s Organizing Organize Circulate Guide
The Fifth Period?
The General Idea of This Period? Get the students to study further about the grammar: The Present Perfect Tense. Practice and improve the students’ writing ability. At the same time guide the Ss how to pronounce? the stressed words in sentences.? Teaching Aims? 1. The students will be able to learn more about the Present Perfect Tense. 2. Improve the students’ writing ability.??
3. Practise pronouncing the stressed words in sentences.? Teaching Important Points? How to improve the Ss’ pronunciation and writing ability.? Teaching Difficult Point? How to help the Ss to learn the Present Perfect Tense.? Teaching Methods? Talking, practicing and writing.? Teaching Aids? 1. the multimedia? 2. the blackboard? Teaching Procedures? ? Step 1 Greetings? Greet the whole class as usual.? ? Step 2 Revision? T: We have learned something about the Present Perfect Tense. Let’s look at these sentences.? (Show them on the screen.)? Say “True” or “False”:? 1. I have read the instruction book but I don’t understand it.（ ）? 2. I have written the letter, but I haven’t posted it yet.（ ）? 3. I can’t find my glasses. Have you seen it?（ ）? 4. I have bought the pen for three years.（ ）? 5. The boy has fallen ill for two days.（ ）? 6. Miss Li has come here since 2001.（ ）? Get the Ss to say “True” or “False” and correct them. Give more explanation about how to use the verbs and time. e.g. join, lost, buy, borrow, leave, go, come, arrive, die, marry, finish, complete, begin, start, etc. 在肯定句中不能和一段时 间连用，要表达“他已完成工作三小时了”可用:?? 1. He finished the work three hours ago.? 2. He has been through the work for 3 hours.? 3. It is/has been three hours since he finished the work.? Susggested answer: 1.True 2.True ?3.True ?4.False ?5.False? 6.False? ? Step 3 Practice? T: Let’s look at this exercise: (show) Choose the correct answers: ? 1. The price ________ but I doubt whether it will remain so.? A. went down B. will go down? C has gone down D. was going down? 2.—You look like good friends.? —Yes, we are. We ________ each other since childhood. ? A. knew
B. got to know? C. have been knowing D. have known? 3.—Oh, it’s you! I didn’t recognize you.? —I ________ my hair cut and I ________ new glasses.? A had; was wearing B. have had; am wearing? C had; wore D. have; had wear? 4.—We haven’t heard from Jane for a long time.? —What do you suppose ________ to her? A. was happened B. to happen? C. has happened D. having happened? 5. You don’t need to describe her. I ________ her several times.? A. had met B. have met? C. met D. meet? (Check the answers with the whole class.)? Suggested answers: ? 1.C “价格已经降了下来”，此处使用现在完成时表示现在时间内的已有状态。? 2.D 从 since childhood 可知主句一定用现在完成时态，C 项用现在完成进行时，动 词一般不用状态动词。? 3.B 甲没有认出乙的原因是乙刚理过发并戴了副新眼镜。? 4.C 第一句是信息句，所用时态是现在完成时，答语中的时态也应用现在完成时。? 5.B 现在完成时可表示过去发生的事情对现在产生的影响或结果，问话人以这样的时 态发问可体现其焦急的心情。? ? Step 4 Pronunciation? T: Please open your books at Page 37.? Look at the dialogue. Listen to the tape carefully. Pay attention to the stressed words in sentences.? (Play the tape for the students listening. Then get several to read it. Check the mistakes with the whole class. At the same time give some explanation.)? ? Step 5 Practice? T: Writing is important for us. We should often practise. But first let’s look at these sentences. (show)? Complete the sentences with “and” “but” and “or”.? 1.—I don’t like fish ________ chicken，and you? —I don’t like fish ________ I like chicken very much.? 2. There was no piano in the room ________ the singer didn’t mind. ? 3. The day breaks, ________ the birds are singing.? 4.—Can you lend me a pound?
—I’m sorry, ________ I can’t.? 5. The changes in the city will cost quite a lot, ________ they will save us money in the long run.? 6.—Close the window, ________ you’ll catch a cold. ? —OK, ________ you’d better not smoke.? (Check the answer with the whole class.)? Suggested answers: ? 1.or,but 2.but 3.and 4.but ?5.but??6.or, but?? ? Step 6 Writing? T: Please look at the paragraph.(show)? Now complete the paragraph below with “and” ?or “ but”.? Cities are exciting, interesting places to live,?1 I have always enjoyed living in them, as there is so much to do ?2 see. There are museums, cinemas, theatres, art galleries, parks, coffee bars, clubs 3 many other places where people can meet 4 exchange ideas.?5 ?there is time when I need the peace 6 quiet of the countryside. Cities are ?interesting,? 7 they can be beautiful,?8?they are never beautiful in the way that the countryside is beautiful. By this I mean that they do not have the beauty of nature, trees 9 ?hills, lakes 10?streams.I love cities,?11 there are times when I need to get out into the countryside ?12 get away from the noise, the dirt ?13 the people. I think that there are many people who feel the same way. (Get the Ss to read it and fill in the blanks. Check the answers with the whole class.)? Suggested answers: ? 1.and 2.and 3.and 4.and 5.but?6.and 7.and? 8.But 9.and 10.and?11.but 12.and? 13.and? T: Now please try to write a short paragraph to introduce a country, a city or a village. Use “and” and “but”.? Sample: Britain? Britain is in the northwest of Europe. Its official(正式的) name is the United Kingdom(王国) of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (the U.K.)and it is made up of(由??组成) England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and some other smaller islands(岛屿).? The total area of the U. K. is 244 000 square kilometers and its population is about 55 million. About 46 million live in England. ? The capital of Britain is London. It is a city of 8 million people. And it is one of the world’s most important financial(金融的) centers, and Britain’s main center of trade and communication. The West End(伦敦西区),famous for its shops, theatres and restaurants, attracts a great number of tourists every year. Other parts of London are often much poorer, especially the East End. ? The British educational system is a complicated( 复 杂 的 ) one, compared with(与??相比) the Chinese educational system. British higher education has a long history. There are over forty universities. The word-famous universities, Oxford
and Cambridge, are the oldest dating(追溯) from 1167 and 1284.? ? Step 7 Homework? 1. Complete the exercise in your books.? 2. Read the paragraph of the writing.? 3. Complete your writing.? ?Step 8 The Design of the Writing on the Blackboard? Module 4 A Social Survery —My Neighbourhood? The Fifth Period? 1. join,lost,buy,borrow,leave,go,?come,?arrive,marry,finish,complete,begin,start 等终止性动词，其肯定句不能和段时间连用。?? 2. He finished the work three hours ago.? He has been through the work for 3 hours.? It is has been 3 hours since he finished the work. ? Step 9 Activity and Inquiry? Write about where you live.? Steps 1 2 3 Students’ Acting Collect materials Discuss Write Teacher’s Organizing Tell how to do Introduce how to write Check
The Sixth Period?
The General Idea of This Period? Introduce some useful expression in order to make students practice speaking Everyday English better. Go on to practice showing position and show direction.? Teaching Aims? 1. The students will be able to learn and master more Everyday English.? 2. Train the students’ speaking ability.? 3. Enable the students to introduce and show direction.? Teaching Important Points? 1. Learn to use some useful expressions.? 2. Train the students’ speaking ability.?? Teaching Difficult Point? How to train the students’ speaking ability.?? Teaching Methods? 1. Asking and Answering to help the students improve their speaking ability.? 2. Work in groups of four to practise their cooperation ability.? Teaching Aids? 1. the multimedia? 2. the blackboard ? Teaching Procedures? ? Step 1 Greetings?
Greet the whole class as usual.? ? Step 2 Revision? T: We have leant the grammar: The Present Prefect Tense. Now let’s do the following ?exercise.?? (Show it on the screen.)? Complete the conversation. Use the Present Perfect Tense of the verbs in brackets, and “for” or “since” where ?appropriate.?? M: Hi, Kate.? K: Hi, Mike.? M: I haven’t seen (not see) your brother around for a long time. (1) ________ he ________ (move) to a new neighbourhood? K: No, he (2) ________ (move) to a new country! He (3) ________ (be) in Australia (4) ________ last year.? M: Australia! That’s a great country. (5) ________ you ever ________ (be) there? K: No, I (6) ________ never ________ (be) there, but I (7) ________ (decide) to go later this year.? M: Great! (8) ________ your brother ________ (send) you any photos ________ he moved there? K: Yes, in fact, I (10) ________ just ________ (receive) some. Here they are. This is his new house. He (11) ________ recently ________ (finish) decorating it.? (Check the answers with the whole class.)? Suggested answers: ? 1.has,moved 2.has moved 3.has been 4.since 5.Have,been ?6.have been? 7.have decided ?8.Has,sent? 9.since 10.have,received 11.has, finished? ? Step 3 Everyday English ? T: We have learned some useful expressions. Can you use the following correctly?(show)? Useful expressions for greetings? Formal? 1. Good day, Mr Black.? 2. Good morning / afternoon / evening, Ma’am. 3. How are you? 4. How is your family? 5. How is your back? 6. I’m glad to have had the opportunity to meet you here.? 7. How are things with you? 8. How was your weekend? 9. How nice to see you again! 10. This is a pleasant surprise.? Informal? 1. Hi, Tom. How are you doing? 2. Hey, Tom. It’s a nice day, isn’t it? 3. Hello, Tom. Haven’t seen you for ages. How is everything going?
4. Hi, Tom. What are you been doing? 5. Morning, Tom. Are you doing all right? 6. Hey, Tom. What have you been up to these days? 7. What’s up? 8. What’s happening? 9. How’s it going? 10. What’s going on? 11. How are things with you? 12. What’s new? Useful expressions for giving directions? 1. Walk straight ahead until you come to the second crossing.? 2. Turn (to the) right/left at the first traffic light.? 3. Keep straight on.? 4. Cross the street/bridge.? 5. Get off at the second stop.? 6. It’s about half an hour’s ride/walk from here.? 7. It’s three blocks north from here.? 8 .Would you like a ride? I can let you off at the No.1 Department Store.? 9 .Follow this road and take the first right.? Useful expressions for telling locations? 1. The library is opposite/behind/next to/in front of the training center.? 2. It’s on the right / left. On your right/left in the eastern/western/southern/northern/part of the city.? T: Let’s look at these useful expressions.(Make sure the students understand the meanings and how to use them.) Please make a short dialogue in pairs.? (After a while get some pairs to report their answers.)? ? Step 4 Practice? T: Next exercise.? (Show it on the screen.)? Choose the correct answer:? 1. “Am I right in thinking (that)...?”means ________? A. Is it true that...? B. I believe that....? 2. “A great many things” means ________.? A. a lot of things? B. great things ? 3. “To do well” means ________.? A. to be successful? B. to be healthy? 4. “As a result” means ________.? A. because of this? B. we have had good results 5. “Congratulations!” means ________! A. You’ve done something very good. ?
B. 6. A. B. 7. A. B.
Very interesting? “It’s fascinating” means ________.? It’s strange? It’s very interesting? “We make it (1400)” means ________.? We’ll make (1400) things? We think the answer is (1400)
(Get the students to answer the questions)? Suggested answes: ? 1. Is it true that...? 2. a lot of things many a 许多的,many a+单数名词+单数谓语动词 e.g. Many a book has been written on the subject. a great/good many 想当多，很多，a great/good many+复数名?词+?复数谓语动词 e.g. A good many boys are playing on the playground. (a lot of+可数名词/不可数名词）? 3. to be successful? 4. Because of this? 5. You’ve done something very good? 6. It’s very interesting? 7. We think the answer is(1400) Step 5 Function and Speaking? T: Please look at this task.? (Teacher shows following on the screen.)? Describe the location of the following lands, seas and cities in relation to New Zealand. ? A. Pacific Ocean B. Tasman Sea C. Wellington D. Auckland E. Christchurch? Well, you’re given three minutes to do it. Three minutes later, I’ll ask some of you to describe the location of them. Are you clear? Ss: Yes.? T: Begin, please.(After 3 minutes.) Are you ready? S: Yes.? T: Well, who’d like to describe the location of the Pacific Ocean? S: I’d like to. The Pacific Ocean lies to the north east of New Zealand. ? T: That’s right. Where’s the Tasmania Sea? S: It lies to the south and west of New Zealand. ? T: Yes, you’re right. Let’s go on. What about Wellington? S: Wellington is one of the north island. ? S: Auckland also lies on the North Island. ? S: Christchurch lies on the South Island. ? T: Very good. ? ? Step 6 Practice? T: Now please complete the next task.? (Show it on the blackboard.)? Answer the questions. Use the words in the brackets.?
1. Where is Tian’anman Square? (middle, Beijing)? 2. Where are the British Isles? (Continental Europe)? 3. Is Guangzhou in the east of China? (south)? 4. What part of China is the city Urumqi in? (northwest)? 5. Do you know where the Summer Palace is? (suburb, Beijing)? 6. Can you see the high-rise buildings of Pudong from the Bund?(across the water)? (Get the students to work in pairs.)? ? Step 7 Homework? In this class, we’ve learned some useful expression and practiced how to show position and direction. After class, you must remember them and use them correctly. At last, don’t forget to preview the next period. That’s all for today. Class is over.? ? Step 8 The Design of the Writing on the Blackboard? Module 4 A Social Survey—My Neighbourhood? The Sixth Period? Ⅰ.Pacific Ocean Tasman sea Auckland continental Europe Ⅱ.What’s up? How are things with you? Walk straight on/ahead. ? It’s opposite/behind/next/to/in front of the hospital.
? Step 9 Activity and Inquiry? A student is going to England. He wants to know more information about the country. Work in pairs.? Steps 1 2 Students’ Acting Task: education, position, culture, customs collecting information Teacher’s Organizing guidance circulation
The Seventh Period?
The General Idea of This Period? Introduce some foreign cultures. And review some useful expressions in this module. Sum up the usage of the Present Perfect Tense.? Teaching Aims? 1. The students will be able to read a passage about the problem of some villages in western Europe.? 2. Enable the Ss to complete some tasks individually.? Teaching Important Point? Enable the Ss to complete some tasks by themselves.? Teaching Difficult Point? How to help the Ss to complete the tasks by themselves.? Teaching Methods? Work in pairs groups or individual.? Teaching Aids?
1. The multimedia? 2. The blackboard? Teaching Procedures? ? Step 1 Greetings? Greet the whole class as usual.? ? Step 2 Revision? T: In this module we have learned some new words. Have you mastered them? We are going to have a dictation. A and B please write on the BB. Are you ready? SS: Yes.? T: Let’s begin. Dictate: fortunate, attractive, bother, nuisance, rent, district, approach, gorgeous, architecture, starve, committee, organization, unemployed, occupation, professional, exchange, fascinating, afford, survive, contact.? (Check with the whole class. Then get the students to make sentences with these words.)? ? Step 3 Reading? T: Now open your books at Pape 39.Look at the picture, what can you see? (Get the Ss to discuss the picture in pairs. After a while, get the Ss to read the passage.)? T: Let’s do some reading. It is about the problem of some villages in western Europe. Please read quickly and then answer the following questions.? (Show the questions on the screen.)? T: Answer the questions.? 1. Where is changing? 2. What are these problems? 3. Do villages in your area have similar problems? T: Have you finished reading? Ss: Yes.? T: OK. Where is changing? Who can answer me? S: The countryside in western Europe.? T: Right. Sit down please. What are these problems? Any volunteer? S: I am. The problem are that young people move to towns for a livelier life and for work. People can not afford village house because city dwellers buy them up. Farmers sell their land and stop farming.? T: Yeah. The third questions. Who can answer it? S: In my home village, young people also go to town. But when the harvest time comes, they come back home to get in craps. They only earn money to build new house in the home ?village.?? T: Yeah, I think so. But we also should try to protect farmer lands.? Now I will ask some of you to read the passage.? (Get them to read it aloud. At the same time, correct their mistakes in pronunciation and the stressed word in sentences.)? ? Step 4 Practice?
T: Look at the screen, please.? Put the words in order and write questions.? 1. till, you, where, now, have, lived? 2. your, have, friends, in, many, you, made, neighbourhood? 3. your, recently, town, has, much, changed? 4. in the same, lived, you, have, always, neighbourhood? 5. visited, is, town, you, most, what, the, beautiful, have? 6. this, did, when, visit, you, town? (Get the Ss to combine these sentences and answer the questions. At the same time, ask the students to review the Present Perfect Tense.)? Suggested answers: ? 1. Where you have lived till now? 2. Have you made many friends in your neighbourhood? 3. Has your hometown changed much recently? 4. Have you always lived in the same neighbourhood? 5. What is the most beautiful town you have visited? 6. When did you visit this town? ? Step 5 Practice? T: Let’s look at these phrases make sentences with them.? 1. put up? In my hometown we have put up a lot of tall buildings.? Recently we have put up a new beautiful school.? 2. so far? So far I have learnt two thousand English words.? He has been to the Great wall 3 times so far.? 3. up to now? Up to now my parents have not done their work.? The students have answered all the questions up to now.? 4. till now? His sister has read 10 ?famous? books till now.? Till now I have not answered his letter.? 5. get away from? Some prisoners got ?away? from the prison.? All the boys have got away from school.? 6. a great many? There are a great many things to do.? A great many of the guests were absent for different reasons.? 7. A number of? There are a large ?number? of people at the station.? A number of the guests were absent for different reasons.? 8. go up? The temperature went up.? The fuel tank went up in flames.? 辨析:?
1. put up/build/set up/build up?
?put up ? 、创 ?set up a schoool/ hospital/ shop / business / government/ state成立学校（医院、商店 ? ?办商业、政府、州） ?build (普通用语) a road (ship,house?) 建路，（般，房子 ） ?? ? ?build up 逐渐建立（建设）， 增强 ?
e. g. The primary school in that village_________ in 1995 with the help of some young people.? A. was set up ? B. was put up? C. was found ? D. was made? 解析:答案为 A。set up“开办，创立”，常和表示组织、机构、团体等意义的词连用， 与 found 基本相同。put up 着重指建造或搭起一个具有一定高度的具体物体，在口语中与 set up 和 build 相同。注意:在本题的选项中，C 项 was found 只是 find（找到）一词的被 动语态形式。 2.go up 的意义及其他?
?go up(价格，气温) 上升; 增长; 攀登;响起; 被炸毁 ? ? ?bring? up 使? 上升
e. g. Because of the war, the price of all goods __________ in the country these days.? A. have been going up B. have been gone down? C. have been gone up D. have been going down? 解析:答案为 A。依据题意，由于战争货物价格自然会上升，故排除 go down; go up 属 于不及物动词，不能用于被动语态。? T: Very good. After class, you should practise much more.? ? Step 6 Homework? 1. Practise reading the dialogue ?A Lively City?.? 2. Complete the exercise in your workbooks.? 3. Put all the new words and phrases in your heart.? 4. Preview the next module.? ? Step 7 The Design of the Writing on the Blackboard? Module 4 A Social Survey—My Neighbourhood? The Seventh Period? 1.put up 2.so far? 3.up to now 4.till now? 5.get away from 6.a great many? 7.a number of 8.go up
? Step 8 Activity and Inquiry? Planning a presentation to give a brief report of your neighbourhood. ? A survey? Steps 1 2 3 3 Students’ Acting Contact your neighbourhood committee. Tell them what you are doing. Ask them what the committee has done. Report to the class. Teacher’s Organizing Tell what they should do. Guidance.?