An adventure in Africa 湖南大学附属中学 龙 珑
The Indian Ocean
ugh the letter quickly .Then answer these questions : 1 Who wrote the following letter ?
2 What animal is uncomfortable to sit on?
3 How long will the author stay in Africa ?
T or F
1. Toby leave London on 16th July and they will go to Morocco by train . F 2. The Sahara Desert is the biggest desert in the world and it is twice the size of the US. F 3. They will wear special clothing , a helmet and a life jacket to go white-water rafting . T 4. After white-water rafting , they’re going on a trip to see wild animals in Morocco. F 5. Toby wants to see a giraffe up close but Colin wants to see an elephant. F 6. Mountain climbing can be very tiring, and many people feel sick as the air gets thinner .
How to read an informal letter?
? ? ? ? ?
1. Are addresses included? (Yes/No) (Yes) 2. Are dates included? ( Yes/No) (Yes) 3. Are friendly greetings usually used at the beginning of the letter? ( Yes/No) (Yes) 4. Is previous information referred to at times? ( Yes/No) (Yes) ? 5. Is the recipient’s surname addressed？( Yes/No) (No) ? 6. Can jokes be made ? ( Yes/No) (Yes) ? 7. Is the reader’s surname addressed? ( Yes/No) (No)
Paragraph How to travel What to take Para. 2 By camel
tents, sleeping bags, a torch to camp; to sleep in; to see in the dark
Why to take them
Morocco Sahara River Nile Lake Victoria
Paragraph What to do
Go white-water rafting Special clothing, a helmet, a life jacket In case the raft gets turned upside down or sinks/keep safe.
What to wear
Why to wear them
Morocco Sahara River Nile Lake Victoria Kenya
1. After white-water rafting, what are Toby and Colin going to see on their trip? 2. Does Toby feel a little scared of drinking cow’s blood?
3. Why should Toby buy a large, strong, light backpack with them? 4. Why will the guides have guns with them?
Morocco Sahara River Nile Lake Victoria Kenya Tanzania Mount. Kilimanjaro
Route (路线) of traveling
?What is the common problem to many people climbing mountains?
?What will Colin and Toby do to avoid such problems?
Put the activities in the correct order according to Toby’s plan for the trip.
___________ travel down the River Nile . 3 ___________ travel on camels through 2 the Sahara Desert ___________ climb Mount Kilimanjaro in 5 Tanzania ___________ see wild animals in Kenya 4 ___________ fly to Morocco 1 ___________ go to the Himalayas 6
Summary. Retell Toby’s travelling plan in Africa.
The Sahara Desert
Mount Kilimanjaro Tanzania
For: It is worthwhile to risk our lives for adventures. Against: It is not worthwhile to risk our lives for adventures.
1. Finish off Exercises D and E .
2. Look for more information about Africa on the Internet.